Kona Grill
www.konagrill.com Scottsdale, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kona Grill Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Kona Grill – US – “Kona Grill”

Berke Bakay

Ok Company, Terrible Location

Houston, TX

ProsThe consistency is the best thing about this job.

If you are a young, college age person who needs a flexible job that you can work while going to school this job is absolutely perfect. You will average a pretty decent amount that would enable you to may bills and have a personal life.

ConsThe Clientele is the absolute worse thing about this job. Kona Grill's happy hour attracts the worse customers. Working some shifts is literally the equivalent to server hell. Also, the company doesn't offer insurance so not a great place to work if you have a family or are form of health problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally reevaluate what you can contribute to the growth of the company. Instead of allowing your standards to slack, enforce a good work ethic in your employees.

Inconsistant / NomGrowth Op's

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsUpscale Place - Looks OK on your Resume " If Employers have heard of the 1 location in VA"

ConsInconsistant Demands, Inconsistant Staffing, Poor Systems in Place, No Growth Potential unless you get an option across country. GM not very professional and expects Too Much

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with Consistantcy and the Rest will fix itself with more locations.

Could be better, though it could be worse...

Stamford, CT

ProsI love the flexibility and the website they use for the scheduling. This makes it easy to trade or give up shifts in a pinch. Usually the location is bustling and you can have a lot of tables and opportunities in one shift to make lots of cash, of course if people tip the right way. When everyone tips reasonably the tips are great! Another positive is that we are paid every night on time! Also all checks work every time too!`

ConsNew management recently changed a whole bunch of prodedures and added some headaches and basically has made illogical changes to the way the business is run. Also, the clientele is less than pleasant in terms of the tipping department, as the establishment attracts the penny-pinchers through offering two "happy hours" in one day. Most are clueless how to tip, even with a tip suggestion helper a tthe bottom of their receipts that shows a breakdown depending on their bill what 15/18 and 20 percent tip on their bill is. This sometimes makes the job hard to take seriously. Big groups no longer have an auto-gratuity applied and this causes a lot of stress for us servers, especially because it is a large portion of the overall sales for our night and many of the customers who eat here don't have a good heart or mind to tip sometimes. If customer doesn't tip appropriately it could cost us big. Also we are forced to share parties of 10 or more. This is sometimes a bogus policy also.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the 18% auto-gratuity added to large groups. Listen to the POSITIVE verbal reviews and feedback from customers about the servers. There are a lot of satisfied customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for the short-term

Omaha, NE

ProsThis is a very good job for making potentially a great deal of money with no experience, but it is still a restaurant.

ConsThe experience you gain will take you really just nowhere in life. Get out of the industry while you can.

Good coworkers, but long hours, confusing schedules and overworked.

Dallas, TX

Pros- Wonderful coworkers
    - Good food
    - Comfy uniforms
    - Good money

Cons- Schedules always varied and a few times I was "late" because a manager changed my shift time online while I was working. When I arrive home at 1 in the morning, I don't bother to check what I think I already know.
    - Chronically understaffed. 50+ hr weeks are de riguer.
    - Bar shifts kill. Good money but they're 8 to 10 hours long with about 10 mins to scarf food in the back. Once or twice a week this is fine, but you'll end up doing it 4 or 5 times a week. Worse if bartending.
    - Lots of side work. I've had more, but Konas is very meticulous, and there's both pre and post shift work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more! We get burned out when there aren't enough servers. Also, I saw too many great servers/baartenders get passed up for management. I've also seen great managers quit because upper management was far too beauraucratic for them to get things done.

Stable concept with some great talent. Company will grow.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsSalaries a touch higher than most. Good attention to food, cool concept.

ConsNeeds a better training program for managers. Some important information gets miscommunicated during relocation efforts. Major changes need to happen in these areas. Not a lot of contact with higher-ups. Operationally, the restaurant design cannot support the level of sushi production to be timed properly with the kitchen. Restaurants have difficulty across the nation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication before relocation proceedings. Major lack of communication- too much secondhand information, sometimes not correct.

It's a serving job...'nuff said

Server (Former Employee)

Proshours, flexibility, busy, high check average, decent tips

Conshigh tip-out, management, restaurant culture

A company that is confused of what it wants to be.

ProsThe scheduling if very flexible. With the use of online scheduling it is easy to get shifts covers or pick up shifts.

ConsToo big of a menu, ranging from pizza to sushi---with no real speciality. Quantity over quality in this case. Clientele is just as broad as the menu, making it hard to distinguish if it's supposed to be fine dining or a cheap bar.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe hands on and don't focus on micromanaging. These two things affect turnover rates.

Standard Restaurant

Richmond, VA

ProsConsistent expectations from guests day to day

ConsInconsistent demands that begin at the corporate level. Undisciplined coworkers mixed in with experienced staff.

It's ok, if you need some money

Houston, TX

ProsIt's really laid back and easy to work at. You get a lot of help while at work.

ConsSome of the clientele can be frustrating tippers. Sometimes long hours don't give you as much money as you want. It can be extremely slow some days.

Worked for Kona Grill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kona Grill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kona Grill CEO Berke Bakay. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Kona Grill employees.