Kona Grill Reviews

3.5

Berke Bakay

not worth it

I worked at Kona Grill full-time

Pros

good food, good happy hour specials

Cons

not enough money, over worked

One not so fun restaurant job. Made me depressed.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good food, good happy hour for customers

Cons

Bad money, too much work, too many lazy people, management makes lots of promises but doesn't follow thru. Happy hour for servers equals lower tips... Lots of them. But restaurant would probably be dead if their wasn't a happy hour because the dining area is.

Follow thru on promises. Quit picking so many favorites and u will have a better chance at keeping the good ones that u hire.

Restless management in Stamford, CT

Former Employee - Server Assistant  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in Stamford, CT

I worked at Kona Grill part-time for more than a year

Pros

The restaurant itself isn't much complicated, the menu is easy to learn and it's also an asset that were located near the mall.

Cons

There were many challenges about working here including management (or mismanagement) and underlying issues with team building and unfair treatment of workers; with people being leveraged because of favoritism instead of actual merit. The management style, or lack thereof, is a micromanagement pre-unionized style; with challenges coming from managers who treat their employees as if they are not valued. There is also little communication between management and staff, unless they were threatening to "fire" you -- in that case, it presents an unpleasant experience for both parties, resulting in managers who expect little from their employees and workers who already feel scrutinized, undervalued, and thus affects job perf romance. There's a lot of work to be done at this location -- of the franchise chain, they are also last in sales performance. Makes you wonder, huh?

Management should work on communication, modernizing their treatment of workers (it's 2014, if a worker isn't being treated fairly they will find a different place to be. It's a tough job market but smart people always find a way). As well, they should actually promote people based on merit and performance, instead of personal ties.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Company, Terrible Location

Former Employee - Server  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Kona Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

The consistency is the best thing about this job.

If you are a young, college age person who needs a flexible job that you can work while going to school this job is absolutely perfect. You will average a pretty decent amount that would enable you to may bills and have a personal life.

Cons

The Clientele is the absolute worse thing about this job. Kona Grill's happy hour attracts the worse customers. Working some shifts is literally the equivalent to server hell. Also, the company doesn't offer insurance so not a great place to work if you have a family or are form of health problems.

Really reevaluate what you can contribute to the growth of the company. Instead of allowing your standards to slack, enforce a good work ethic in your employees.

Inconsistant / NomGrowth Op's

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Upscale Place - Looks OK on your Resume " If Employers have heard of the 1 location in VA"

Cons

Inconsistant Demands, Inconsistant Staffing, Poor Systems in Place, No Growth Potential unless you get an option across country. GM not very professional and expects Too Much

Start with Consistantcy and the Rest will fix itself with more locations.

Server

Former Employee - Server  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I worked at Kona Grill part-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate structure ensures thorough training, rules are in place to protect employees, guests etc. Can make good money. Teamwork environment. decent food discount for employees.

Cons

Management doesn't incentivize employees to use teamwork. Some employees can turn tables quickly because of the teamwork mentality, but never return any of the teamwork tasks such as running food, taking drink orders, refilling drinks, etc.

Promotions and awards are given for convincing guests to buy gift cards, and sign up for emails instead of good service. Teamwork involves everyone all the time.

Could be better, though it could be worse...

Current Employee - Server  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Server in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the flexibility and the website they use for the scheduling. This makes it easy to trade or give up shifts in a pinch. Usually the location is bustling and you can have a lot of tables and opportunities in one shift to make lots of cash, of course if people tip the right way. When everyone tips reasonably the tips are great! Another positive is that we are paid every night on time! Also all checks work every time too!`

Cons

New management recently changed a whole bunch of prodedures and added some headaches and basically has made illogical changes to the way the business is run. Also, the clientele is less than pleasant in terms of the tipping department, as the establishment attracts the penny-pinchers through offering two "happy hours" in one day. Most are clueless how to tip, even with a tip suggestion helper a tthe bottom of their receipts that shows a breakdown depending on their bill what 15/18 and 20 percent tip on their bill is. This sometimes makes the job hard to take seriously. Big groups no longer have an auto-gratuity applied and this causes a lot of stress for us servers, especially because it is a large portion of the overall sales for our night and many of the customers who eat here don't have a good heart or mind to tip sometimes. If customer doesn't tip appropriately it could cost us big. Also we are forced to share parties of 10 or more. This is sometimes a bogus policy also.

Allow the 18% auto-gratuity added to large groups. Listen to the POSITIVE verbal reviews and feedback from customers about the servers. There are a lot of satisfied customers.

Good for the short-term

Former Employee - Server  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Server in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kona Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a very good job for making potentially a great deal of money with no experience, but it is still a restaurant.

Cons

The experience you gain will take you really just nowhere in life. Get out of the industry while you can.

Good coworkers, but long hours, confusing schedules and overworked.

Former Employee - Server  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kona Grill part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Wonderful coworkers
    - Good food
    - Comfy uniforms
    - Good money

Cons

- Schedules always varied and a few times I was "late" because a manager changed my shift time online while I was working. When I arrive home at 1 in the morning, I don't bother to check what I think I already know.
    - Chronically understaffed. 50+ hr weeks are de riguer.
    - Bar shifts kill. Good money but they're 8 to 10 hours long with about 10 mins to scarf food in the back. Once or twice a week this is fine, but you'll end up doing it 4 or 5 times a week. Worse if bartending.
    - Lots of side work. I've had more, but Konas is very meticulous, and there's both pre and post shift work.

Hire more! We get burned out when there aren't enough servers. Also, I saw too many great servers/baartenders get passed up for management. I've also seen great managers quit because upper management was far too beauraucratic for them to get things done.

Stable concept with some great talent. Company will grow.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kona Grill full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salaries a touch higher than most. Good attention to food, cool concept.

Cons

Needs a better training program for managers. Some important information gets miscommunicated during relocation efforts. Major changes need to happen in these areas. Not a lot of contact with higher-ups. Operationally, the restaurant design cannot support the level of sushi production to be timed properly with the kitchen. Restaurants have difficulty across the nation.

More communication before relocation proceedings. Major lack of communication- too much secondhand information, sometimes not correct.

Worked for Kona Grill? Contribute to the Community!