Konami Digital Entertainment

1 Rating

Great Gaming Company

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, friendly management. Opportunity to work with popular franchises/titles. Time Off/PTO is very generous (constantly accrues and caps at 200 hours). Excellent environment to train/hone skills and a good first job for anyone looking to break into the gaming industry. Decent investment/401K. Above average healthcare benefits.

Cons

Senior level management is risk-averse so tend to be very rigid in their business decisions. Not always a good understanding of Western markets. IT and network issues abound and are a serious hindrance. Sometimes difficult to converse with senior level management without having a translator. Crunch time can be Interference from headquarters during development cycle in some cases.

Great Company. Leader in the industry.

I worked at Konami Digital Entertainment

Pros

Great management, learning environment, opportunities to advance

Cons

Extensive travel required, long hours

QA testing = Terrible work environment!

Former Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met some cool people that I am still friends with today. I think a bunch of us bonded quickly due to the poor work environment. I also learned at lot about myself and others being put under that kind of pressure.

Cons

The QA testers where looked down upon despite being kind and professional. Management did a horrible job of maintaining a professional work environment. Because of a mostly young male (18-24) workforce there was an immature High school like atmosphere. Ive never been to jail (Knock on wood..) but this is gotta be the closet thing to being locked in a room in tight spaces with aggressive unprofessional people. This was my third experience working QA at a Major gaming publisher, It is my worst working experience ever!

Raise standards, create a better work environment. There shouldn't be a school yard mentality in any office.

Just about the worst entrance you can get in to the Games Industry

Current Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Employee parking
    -Free coffee
    -Download codes for games you work on... sometimes
    -Low stress, you don't take our work home with you

Cons

-Ridiculous adherence to out of date testing practices/technology
    -Managers who have ZERO interpersonal/communication skills
    -Bottlenecked path for advancement leading to no promotions/permanent hires
    -Lack of determination to do the job right or a baseline level of caring for working smarter
    -Terrible pay
    -A pervasive feeling that temps (which is 95% of the testers) are interchangeable and undeserving of being treated like actual human beings
    -Surprise overtime
    -You can, and will, be let go without notice

This is going to sound stupid, I'm sure, but raise the minimum hourly wage.

Learn how to talk to people and relate to your employees. It's very clear they aren't here for the money, they show up because they care about games and are hoping to work for a company that shares that part of their lives.

Create opportunities for people to excel, give people chances to show leadership and reward those who meet the challenge.

Focus on training people to do more than the narrow jobs that they are tasked with.

Focus less on overextending your staff to impress your bosses and save the company money. A few garbage pizzas is hardly the reward everyone wants after 5 nights of overtime.

Solid, but behind the times and restrictive

Current Employee - Programmer
    Current Employee - Programmer

Pros

Decent pay, very flexible hours, fun environment with cool people.

Cons

Bizarre 1990's era computer security, with lots of red-tape just to read email. Too many chiefs influencing decisions for products. Only now after a few years are they trusting their employees enough to make day to day decisions, which makes the entire company very cumbersome and lethargic.

Update computer security to something at least past the year 2000. Be more transparent and become more agile with your ability to respond to market trends.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time

Pros

I began working at Konami as a stepping to to further my career which I have been able to do. My fellow employees are great. The holidays we received are excellent for full time employees. Employee benefits are also very good. Work Life Culture is very good.

Cons

Lack of centralized structure. To many and unwarranted organizational changes that make little to no sense. Lacking a game line up

Look at market trends and look to publish titles that make sense to those trends. We are in a socially driven world now and gamers don't play games by themselves anymore. There needs to be action towards this type of gameplay.

It's not who you work for; it's who you work with

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fulfilling the dream of working in the gaming industry. Competitive benefits along with PTO accrual. Casual-dress environment. Coworker relationships flourish from a shared hatred for the parent company's internal work processes.

Cons

The department I worked in (Card Business) is plagued with management-worker animosity. The head of the department is heavy on micro-management and callous in discipline, constantly overworked and stressed, which bleeds over to other members of the department. Management is not trained to work with associates- there is a lack of leadership and a faulty system of checks and balances. Supervisors are prone to throw their subordinates under the bus. Beware when applying to this department.

Konami won't last another decade because the decision-makers have little (if any) knowledge of the current trends in the gaming community and has sabotaged several of its selling titles in the past year. An overhaul of management to introduce more competent, and more creative assets to the team would benefit the company's long-term growth.

overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Gave me a foot in the door into the video game industry and was able to meet and make new connections.

Cons

For the salary I, personally, was overworked. The only way to get a raise was to go permanent which in my 2 years there I saw maybe happen once or twice.
    The whole QA department was temporary, with little to no chance to move up.

Ongoing Disappointment to Shareholders is Unsurprising

I worked at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time

Pros

Autonomy, industry acceptable perks - vacation, 401K, PTOs, insurances. Opportunity (occasionally to work with talented creatives).

Cons

Ethnocentric managerial focus. Very closed mindset to accepted "best practice" western approaches to business. Overall, senior leadership, strategy, IT structure/tools, and organizational structure is the poorest I have ever witnessed.

Understand your market and adjust your organization, recruiting, talent management, IT, BD, Sales, Marketing and compensation plans to provide that market with products optimized for the audience.

Company lacks vision and direction

I worked at Konami Digital Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great benefits package including health, dental, and 401K
    Convenient location off the freeway
    Near LAX
    Free parking
    Shower and gym in the building
    Hardworking HR team

Cons

Poor hiring structure
    Low moral
    Difficult co-workers and personalities
    Upper management lacks forward-thinking
    Stagnant work environment
    Management promotes backstabbing
    Office politics

Look to the future and take some risks