Kongsberg Automotive

Olav Volldal

A good learning experience

Former Employee - Intern in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Conroe, TX

I worked at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay their people well, the people who work there are nice and very often willing to help you out when they can, and offices were always clean.

Cons

There were not always clear tasks to do. So any free time I had I tried to volunteer to help anybody else out. However that lead to me doing things that I was not entirely fit for.

Overall good experience but at risk of becoming a dinosaur due to a few bad apples.

Former Employee - Engineering in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering in Novi, MI

I worked at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good workforce in Mexico plants. Some great people in the Novi hqts, who carry the company on their shoulders. Good location although somewhat far from OEMs. Overall office feel is cordial. Good balance of life/work priorities. Nice looking office is always a bonus to productivity.

Cons

Some weak people with personal ties to unmotivated manager in Novi (won't get fired). Expertise hollowing out as older guys retire or change, leaving the ones too sour to care or contribute. Poor product launches plagued by quality and testing failures. Extremeley overworked lab and some incompetent engineers cause frequent delays for everyone. Turnover among engineering is very high and seemed to happen in waves. Norway management is absent too much to see true issues and straighten them out.

Novi needs better management alligned with corporate goals. Knowledge base needs a systematic overhaul or loose any competetive advantage held prior.

The people were nice but they do not properly train new people in detail.

Former Employee - Assembler in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Assembler in Easley, SC

I worked at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and facility. You get to assemble many different parts, so the boredom factor is low.

Cons

Pay is low for temp. to perm. people, as it usually takes two years to get hired by Kongsberg. They don't properly train people on paperwork that has to be filled out so it is very easy to fill it out wrong resulting in low production, when in fact you quite possibly made great production.

If they are going to allow the new temps. to do the paperwork for a job, that person must be trained in DETAIL on how to do this. For instance, I had completed a job in record time, yet because I wasn't properly trained on filling out the production report, it showed me only making 20% production quota, when in fact I had made over 96% production.

Will do until something else comes along.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Has possibilities, several good people have still not left, nice, clean, recently remodeled facilities, the fact that it's hard to come up with a 20 word statement on the pros of this particular plant is a statement within itself.At least it does have benefits for full time employees

Cons

Wow, so many, and it is such a shame. HR is number one, from constant payroll errors to inequalities in hiring and promotion practices. Very limited upward movement, career wise, within the company, at least at this location. Several experienced, highly qualified, and motivated associates have been allowed to leave, with only minimal effort at retention, in order to be replaced by, well, better connected people.Training of associates is non-existant, just thrown in the cell and expected to perform. No annual, (or any for that matter), evaluations of hourly associates, in fact no system of feedback whatsoever to associates in regards to job performance, other than threats. There is no system of recognition for achievement in regards to associates, again with the exception of a select few. No inplace method for solicitation of employee feedback in regards to production or quality. Management claims to be planning long range, but in reality operates on a "crisis to crisis" basis, mostly due to quality issues, again refer back to lack of training. Contrary to position maintained by management, pay is not competitive with other like facilities in the region.

Corporate needs to take a close hard look at the HR department, arrogance and inequality does not coincide with the concept of "One KA" . Establish valid 2-way lines of communication with hourly associates, provide regular feedback on both personnel, and production issues. Establish means for positive recognition of above average performance for ALL associates. Stop emphasizing how easy it is for the company to terminate employment, and instead focus on reasons for retention of ALL associates. Push for solicitation of hard copy ideas on quality and production issues from ALL associates. You must make the possibility of opportunities for advancement within the company a reality not a concept. As far as pay is concerned, surveys have shown that job satisfaction is more important that pay to an associate, but pay IS a factor. The most important thing is LISTEN to your people that are actually "hands on"in the cell, and educate rather than terminate.

Better....or at least listening

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Easley, SC

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We finally got a wage increase, although business is slow, HR and Managers are doing their best to at least listen to us. They are spending more time on the floor and are much better communicators.....glad they got rid of that last horrible plant manager. Maybe now the business has a chance. The biggest change is the personnel person, she acts like a real person now and makes us believe that she cares.... that is a big improvement.

Cons

Our new plant manager is young and has not been in the business long. We will like see some managers actually STAY and not be fired after 6months. I think the only stable place in production.....we have has 3 plant managers in 9months. We should try to keep people when they are good and work with them.....we are so tired of change.

No more changes, we need to be stable.....keep the current management team... we r just getting used to the new rules and then they change. If we don't get stable we r going to get gone

Job satifaction

Current Employee - Assembley in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Assembley in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

40 Hours Good Mangement !!!!i really enjoy my job.... The HR Manager is awesome, she takes the time to talk to us and even cpmes on the floor just to see if we are ok....Who does that???? We have finally got a new plant manager and he is awesome too..... I know that we may not get paid as much as i think we should but a management tem that actually talks to you is awesome. i think they really listen and respond.
    When you have someone who listens and acts on your concers is awesome. some things are better than just money....We have sie, stable work and a mamangement team that listens..... they actually come on the production floor.

Cons

High Turnover in Management -need to be more stable.....we have fianlly got a good manager for our palnt hope they keep him and the new HR mananger.... We finally got a good team... I have been there 9 mnths and have had 3 plant mamangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we finally got a good team hpe they dont mess that up....that last one we has was a joke......

keep the group yu have, they are awsome

It's a nightmare.

Current Employee - Assembler in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Assembler in Easley, SC

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours a week.
    Getting off at 2:30pm everyday is fantastic!
    It has air conditioning

Cons

Where do we start?
    -The place is totally disorganized, all the way from materials to priorities. Materials are scattered all over the place. The floor itself is a safety hazard (climbing over boxes to reach materials, constantly walking over pallets, dodging electrical wires hanging from the ceiling, dodging fork lifts that have no where else to drive). Next the priorities. They like to have you start one project because it's "hot" only to have you stop in the middle and start something else (don't worry, you'll probably get pulled off of that too).
    -No communication between supervisors. The supervisors both have their own separate ideas and opinions, and they don't bother sharing them with each other, or the shift leaders. Try taking orders from 3 different people, when two of those orders are completely conflicting.
    -Inconsistent. One day you'll do things one way, and half way through your shift you'll do them completely different, only to do them different again the next day.
    -Lack of supervision. Well, the supervisors are there, they just aren't supervising very well. The amount of people that I have seen hurt on the job lately is unreal. They're always going on about people doing things that they aren't supposed to do, but where is the supervisor when people are acting up? Also, a guy told me that he spent his entire shift just walking around the plant with a piece of paper in his hand because no one would give him instructions on what to do. If you ask the supervisor for something they usually just shrug it off and forget that you ever mentioned anything (that is until they need something related and you have to re-explain to them for the 5th time that this is what you were trying to tell them all along)
    -Oh yeah, the AC that we have. We can keep it on, on 77 degrees in the middle of the summer. You might as well turn it off and open the doors. But, "It's not hot." This is what they tell you, even though you might stand around with a piece of paper for 2 hours and still pour sweat.
    -Production. They keep barking at you to get production up. The cells are backwards, the tester is broken, problems getting the materials you need, etc. They want you to get production up, but they do nothing about the many things that hinder your production.
    -I can't give this a 0 star. It only got 1 star because I HAD to give it one.

Please tell the supervisors to actually start supervising. Get yourselves organized and get your priorities straight before you start demanding so much. The work isn't hard, but the stress level is unreal. Get a notebook and write down the concerns that your workers are having, stop shoving them in departments and forgetting about them. Communicate with each other and come to an agreement BEFORE you all start barking 10 different commands at people. And please, PLEASE, turn the AC temp down, or just turn it off.

Was a fair company to work for, until recent changes in Management and Human Resources!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pickens, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pickens, SC

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive

Pros

The company Is located a short distance from my home. The company is made up of hard working and dedicated production staff that push forward to keep the company running on all cyclinders.

Cons

Wages for production jobs/workers are not equal nor competitive with a local company/companies manufactoring similar automotive products.
    Poor planning/scheduling leading to constant overtime & rushed work
    Lack of communication from management to employees concerning major changes. Details being withheld about a new facility and location.
    frequent payroll mistakes that should not be made and/ or tolerated, considering the excesive complaintes regaurd this issue on a weekly basis, since changes was made HR staffing

My advice to management would be, Better communication between all departments/areas,from production to leadership. More consideration for a complete support system from engineering and much needed repairs from maintance.

This and that at KONGSBERG

I have been working at Kongsberg Automotive

Pros

The employees are great, hard working individuals, who know what they are doing.

Cons

The hard workind Employees get no respect from management at all. Management there is awful.
    HR personal is awful. I dont think there is a week that goes by that she dont mess someones check up. Not to mention she is very rude and looks down on other ppl. She sould be there to help the employees but I think she just makes things harder for them.
    This place is total chaos. All upper and lower management has no clue as to what they are doing. They are never on the same page wih each other. They run from one meeting to another for reasons that are yet to be determind ( due to the fact they never accomplish anything that is worth a Darn for the company and definitely nothing good for the employees.) If the management would listen to the ppl that work for them they could actually accomplish something. But since they are so smart and know everything about everything, they scared to ask ppl there opion because they just might know more than them and have a better idea of what needs to happen to make KONGSBERG a better place to work and more profitable.

Give the employees a raise. YH america starts out at 10.00 an hr and that is temp service. where as kongsberg starts out around 8.15 hr. You don't pay the employees enough money to have to put up the undue stress that the lack of good management puts them through everyday.
    Get new upper mangement and get a new HR person before they make Kongsberg go belly up.
    and Lord someone please hire maint. personal that know what they are doing. geez the guys that are here are just here and knows nothing. They can't even look like they are busy.
    This company waste more money than any place I have ever seen.