Kontagent Reviews

3.8

Josh Williams

Great Summer Experience

I have been working at Kontagent

Pros

Friendly work environment with lots of smart people

Cons

Could have more opportunities for personal growth

Not a good place to work. But a great place to learn.

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kontagent full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main pro at this company is that because people quit so fast it's an incredible place to advance your career through title promotion. While the rest of the market doesn't fully see how dysfunctional things have become, having a good title at Kontagent is a great way to lateral over to a good job elsewhere. Lots of folks have taken this route and have done incredibly well for themselves.

Cons

Leadership has been incredibly poor with multiple rounds of layoffs, pep talks, and more layoffs. Josh, the CEO and now - following his stepping down - the chairman of the board, is truly a master at doubletalk. He frequently seems to pour out his heart to the company and is all about sincerity, and then he ignores people, plans secret layoffs, misleads people about their status, etc.

Hard to imagine management paying attention to this when they pay so little attention to face-to-face meetings. Also there's really nothing left to do. This company is tanking and its solely the fault of the management, who have lost all of the talented folks.

Transparency - I don't think that word means what they think it means

I have been working at Kontagent full-time for more than a year

Pros

I still have a job, I hope.

Cons

This has been a rollercoaster since day 1. In 2 years there have been 3 CEOS, I expect to be CEO by next month. I'm not even sure if this is a real company or a reality show

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people.

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kontagent full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at Kontagent were fantastic to work with. You could tell that there was a great bond between the employees and the workplace definitely shined when people were allowed to collaborate and given enough direction to make an impact.

Cons

Management had a lot to be desired. No sense of strong leadership that teetered between no sense/purpose and extreme hand-holding. Plenty of mistakes that were covered up and held unaccountable.

Great place to work. They care a lot about culture and have a lot of smart people.

I have been working at Kontagent full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Care a lot about culture.
    - Meritocracy, Josh, the CEO is committed to rewarding people who do well.
    - Amazing product and market opportunity. The fact that the company moves fast with innovation and product changes to fit customer needs means it has a much better outlook than other startups and big data companies.
    - Smart and friendly people.
    - Easy commute, it's a block away from the Embarcadero station and Transbay Terminal.
    - Unlimited PTO.

Cons

- Can't bring pets to work.
    - Lots of work. But such is life in a startup and at least they care about making it nice to work here and seem to care about the well-being of employees.
    - Unlimited PTO, some people can abuse it.

Keep it up. Mobile is a big opportunity with a lot of competition.

Change is a great thing

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kontagent full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with Kontagent for just over a year now, and while we've definitely gone through some ups and downs in the past year, I have never felt more optimistic about our direction, nor more excited about the business strategy that we are employing than I do right now. This post is in response to another recent post that referred to some recent changes that we as a company have undergone.

While it is true that we had a change at the top, I would like to point out that our previous CEO's decision to step down was entirely voluntary and came in recognition of the fact that the company needed better leadership and more experience than he could provide. I for one very much applaud him for the work he did to get us where we are, and the humility he displayed in recognizing that he wasn't the right person to continue to lead the company in its current form. Far from indicating that the company is in dire straits, the smooth transition to a new CEO is also indicative of the health of the company in that the CEO was able to step down and we were able to gracefully move to a new leader without much fanfare or distraction, so that we could quickly get back to work under a new direction and with a new, focused vision and determination.

That the change in the CEO also led to a few other personnel decisions to me seems both natural and expected, and if anything improves my opinion of Josh, the incoming CEO, rather than detracts from it. If things were utterly perfect, than change wouldn't be necessary. That Josh was willing to make some hard calls for the benefit of the company is a very good thing, and should be regarded as such.

In response to the previous review, it's unfortunate that individuals are able to offer anonymous reviews with impunity without providing any context for their current position. It seems eminently clear to me that the author of such review must no longer be with the company because the overwhelming sentiment of those who are still with Kontagent is universally positive and optimistic about our new energy, our new vision, and the new complexion of the team that remains. Very often such a management shakeup is the impetus needed to usher in a new era of accomplishment and productivity, and I believe that is what is happening at Kontagent.

For all the current customers and employees at Kontagent, I would just like to say, "get ready" because I truly believe that we are all going to see some really great things coming from this team, for the benefit of all involved.

Cons

We are still a startup, and it's important to remember that. As such we have some startup problems.

Still, even writing about cons, I have a hard time keeping them negative, because as I mentioned above, the changes that are occurring are what are in a lot of ways enabling us to get back to being a startup and all that entails. That means things are going to sometimes be messy; we're not always going to have perfect guidance or communication; we might often trip and fall on our faces. But unlike being in a huge bureaucracy, we are getting back to our roots and that means moving fast, failing often, and learning from those mistakes so that we can grow and our customers can benefit.

You have opened the floodgates with a new era of glasnost. Transparency might not always be easy, but it is so much better than the alternative. Stay the course even if it gets a little hard. It will be worth it in the long run.

Awesome startup, lots of opportunity!

I have been working at Kontagent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kontagent is building an incredible product in a rapidly growing market. Not many companies have been able to break into the mobile ecosystem, but Kontagent has proven to be a leader in the mobile analytics space.

Additionally, the company takes great strides to make sure everyone is happy. We have regular happy hours, office events and mixers to get to know everyone. Great work culture!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company!

Our management team is approachable, open and thoughtful. Keep up the great work!

One of the best internships you that you could ever ask for!

Current Employee - Finance & Human Resource Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance & Human Resource Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kontagent as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Kontagent is a great fun filled place to work at with lots of interesting and smart people! Working at Kontagent so far, I have met a lot of easy going and helpful co-workers. It is a very "work at your own pace" kind of job. Plus there is great communication within the company and it is also open to many opportunities for growth.

Cons

If you do not work well without being told what to do all the time, then this may not be the place for you! Also there is a lot of laughter and open conversations during work, but the main motto of Kontagent is work hard, play hard!!

Unstable Company

I have been working at Kontagent full-time

Pros

Laid back culture, you can be yourself. Perks like free food though it has been announced that that will be taken away soon. Work hard, play hard, but the playing hard is what has gotten us to where we are now and having to cut back and lay off because of overspending. All in all, most of the pros are actually cons now.

Cons

CEO has stepped down (this is made public). New CEO stepped up and announced "changes" that would roll out in 2 weeks. 3 weeks later, nothing was announced, which shows the first task the CEO had to accomplish, he could not even follow through. The employees are all on edge and the massive lay off will be announced this week. There are several top Execs who have voluntarily stepped down already. Morale is extremely low and Execs not doing anything to relieve it.

The product can't even be articulated by the sales reps, let alone clients. The product needs an overhaul. When the Executives say they will follow through, they need to follow through and not leave their employees nervous. The Management team does not know what they are doing and are not taking strategic steps in the best interest of the company. There are employees who won't be laid off but you'll be unable to retain them if this continues.

Understand there are MAJOR changes going on, CEO's removal and lay-offs on the way. Proceed with caution....

I have been working at Kontagent

Pros

Hard to find the pros at this time.

Cons

Management team, long term vision, company communication

Time to look at the top management and their vision and goals.

Worked for Kontagent? Contribute to the Community!