Kony

Updated November 23, 2014
3.1

Kony CEO Thomas E. Hogan
Thomas E. Hogan

Pros
  • Flexible office hours, good pay and sophisticated environment (in 12 reviews)

• Work with latest technologies, flexible timings (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is poor; there's just too much to get done (in 17 reviews)

• No work/life balance due to poor planning (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

“Good place to work, amazing work culture and good people to work with ”

Current Employee - Product Development Lead in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Product Development Lead in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You find some of the best people to work with.
    Employees are well treated.
    Amazing work culture, there is a lot to learn.
    Good benefits as well.

Cons

Transport facility needs to be improved.

Management should take steps to increase their brand value.

Stop Gap

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary - If you have a feeling u did ur interview well then u can negotiate a good hike (atleast 50%). They generally can't attract much talent and hence wud offer gud hike.

Mobility tag in ur profile - Kony is known for mobility which is hot in the job market. So it will benefit you no matter how bad ur job is.

Play around with mobiles - you get to play around with all the latest mobiles and tablets in the market.

Cons

Frequent change in strategy - This is one company which wud change its direction and strategy almost every quarter. Don't be surprised if you had worked on 5 or 6 different items in a year with none seeing through the end.

Spineless crop of Leaders - none of the managers, directors or even Vice Presidents in this company have the courage to stand up to the senior management and say "this is impossible in this timeframe". There were times when they had agreed to increasing the scope as well as reducing the timelines at the same time.

Highly hierarchical organisation - If you come from a flat organisations, you will find this as a shock. Cabins for ppl even at Director level makes you hesitant and uncomfortable approaching them for anything.

They have a separate wifi access points for Top Management while the developers and testers like us have to deal with frequent disconnections in our wifi connections.

They have reserved car parking for senior management and some senior HR execs while the others have to come early to office to find a parking space. Even the chairs that are provided to the employees vary based on the designation. The ones who spend 15/16 hours in the office get to sit on low quality chairs while the ppl who spend less time in office get the most sophisticated chairs.

HR - This is one department which will not be of any use to you. For each function you will have a Business HR assigned. I didn't even know who that person is until few months after joining. It is very common for them to not respond to your emails or even reminder to emails unless you are a director and above level.

How they managed to win the "Best Employer" award despite having 30+ percent attrition is still a mystery. They even managed to keep the recent employee survey without a single question about HR function.

You can't just change your strategy every few months and burn the people.

ok ok

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

cloud team is good & provides opportunity

Cons

No hikes..so do not expect much

don't be unprofessional

Everything sucks, expect loads of work and no hikes for two years

Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technology, loads of technical challenges to make an impact. If you are workaholic and don't have much challenges in your current job or in your personal life, this is the place to be in. You will get both here.

Cons

Being in management I have access to some info. Some are my perceptions.

Kony is sinking ship. Company is desperately cost cutting and sending people off, management planing to sell company soon.

Layoffs started In India too - HR Head fired, entire recruitment team gone. Recruitment team director fired. Half the hr team is moved out. Delivery team COO fired. Test directors fired.

Good people from engineering team moving out who are with company for very long time.

Management is Not willing to spend any money on employees, hike budget is way low this year ( one third of inflation at an average)

ppl who expects lowest salary hikes will also get shocks this time.

Even it is peanuts give hikes on time, not after 18 months.
    Tell the truth to employees instead of Regular BS.
    Don't create hype around People you hired from MS in management, they look very loyal, truth is they are sticking around because you over paid them and they are not getting Jobs out side.

Why r u ruining employees careers?

work environment is good and management is good but no time for personal life

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lot to learn about mobiles and mobile technologies, Its good if you are more like manual tester

Cons

no time for personal life, no physical activities only work every time not even a single activity a month or so.

No proper planning for releases, not enough time given to the developer/tester. 50 releases in a month.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Kony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Degree of flexibility depending upon the team. mobility as the industry is part of the big 5.

Cons

outright nepotism! zero employee benefits, limited growth. IBM is biggest threat to kony.

wake and smell the coffee

Just another company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time

Pros

I dont see any pros out here...becoz every other company has same offering...nothing special abt Kony..

Cons

1.Recognizing talent is such a cliche in the organization..Only a few get the benifit ..and u know y ..for obvious reasons.
    2.Forget work life balance when ur in Kony.
    3.No proper planning ..(even now it is the same) they thought of implementing few planned policies..but not started on anything.. and I strongly feel they wont start it since all r busy getting pure business(clients)..nthng else.
    4.Management is mere waste..I can do the work which they do..being a novice..it just requires common sense..which many dont have in there.
    And the list goes on and on..

Remove the cons ...and convert it into Pros ... I need nothing else..

Don't join if you are a developer

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible office hours, good pay and sophisticated environment

Cons

- I joined as a Java developer but hardly worked on Java. Kony Platfrom does everything, you just have to fix UI bugs like margin/padding/alignment deviations. We don't even get experience on native mobile app development because here the apps are developed with Kony studio where the UI code used is also specific to Kony. There is no requirement document from client or KT on functionality in my current project :) but still QA team raises defects and we should be accountable for that. Moreover they have installed activity monitoring tool called Sapience on every machine to record number of working hours, browsing time etc and we have to give explanation if number of working hours(time spent on development tools) are less than 6. There hasn't been a single fun activity in last 18 months. After working for 1 or 2 years we have to suffer a lot to appear for interviews again as we are not in touch with our core technology.

- Keep complete API documentation on Kony middleware in developer portal.
    - Don't expect quality with out requirement doc/functional spec

Employee Friendly Organization

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very employee friendly organization. Managers appreciate or recognize the employees for the hard work in achieving the deadlines.

Cons

Few Employee Benefit Policies have to implement.

Continuous Learning

Current Employee - Developer in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Developer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Kony full-time

Pros

Platform division in particular will offer you good learning opportunities.
    Good company culture, people around you will help you grow.

Cons

No onsite. This is one thing you cannot get in platform division.
    For this you need to join service division.

Nothing.