Kool Smiles
www.mykoolsmiles.com Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kool Smiles Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth

Pros:
  • "Obvious commitment to providing the best quality care to the individuals in most need of dental care"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company is committed to providing quality dental care in a safe and courteous environment"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unreasonable work expectations, long LONG hours"
    in 3 reviews
  • "This company has grown a lot over the last 5 years and there have been growing pains"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

What A Great Place To Work!

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

ProsOutstanding organization with a purpose and mission to do the right thing for patients and employees. This organization is focused on patient care and driven by the doctors. There is a real sense of family and the company believes in maintaining a work/life balance. Like any large, multi-office organizations, there are always exceptions, but what a refreshing change to work with people who want to take care of children and their parents, provide outstanding care and have fun while doing it!

ConsRapid growth may have caused some bumps in the road, but the desire and drive is there to make things right.

who knows????

Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kool Smiles part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best- Working with all the children, helping, teaching, and allowing them to express their feelings good or bad and seeing their faces light up when they knew you were only their to help them!

ConsBeing told 50 ways how to do the most serious policies. Who knows? Most importantly ( believing that your boss would know the correct way of doing things) then finding out because you were taken to the office or pulled aside by a bigger boss, being made a fool in front of your coworkers and the patient, and being told that the way you were told was actually wrong! This makes you feel and look like a bad employee when all you are doing us what and how you were told. This is TERRIBLE AND VERY HUMILIATING!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your newer employees and realize that when someone works a day or two here and their, being totally afraid to do anything with any confidence because NO ONE HAS TOLD YOU CORRECTLY! This is why no one stays and why everyone is miserable! So who knows? Who can I trust and who do I go to when I have been reprimanded for something like this?THIS WILL CLOSE THE DOORS VERY QUICKLY !!

Tiring

Patient Service Representative (Former Employee)
Marietta, GA

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits, Friendly Environment. No other qualities come to mind,

ConsInconvenient, Favoritism.Cannot thing of anything else without being professionally rude.

Go somewhere else.

Office Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time

ProsCan't think of any. Employees are used until they're used up.

ConsPush push push those patients through! Mainly, I worked as a manager and achieved great results by working constantly short staffed as required by Regional Supervisor, but getting the employees behind the processes. The RS was Supreme Commander and did whatever she wanted, including unethical practices. This all filtered down to every level. You can't please this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified managers and supervisors rather than literally anyone with retail experience, like Walmart. And then don't beat them to death until they leave. When I came on, there was only one manager in the region that had been there longer than 6 months!

The almighty dollar trumps the illusion of good.

Office Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

ProsI was lucky to have a great staff.

ConsLong hours. The business is run by dashboards and SMART objectives. Offices are only allowed a skeleton crew and everyone will feel overwhelmed on a regular basis. Corporate will tie your hands behind your back. You are not set up to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in the office and see what actually occurs. Recognize good talent.

Love working with a company that truly cares about its employees an patients.

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Monroe, LA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany prmotes having "fun" while working an having fun with the patients.

ConsNo pay raises in 3013

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees continuing education

My experience with Kool Smiles was a learning experience

Central Billing Specialist (Former Employee)
Marietta, GA

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

ProsWas able to get overtime

ConsManagement needs to learn how to talk to their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

RUN!!

Commercial Insurance Verifier (Current Employee)
Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Prosot hours, work with scheduling

Conslow pay, favoritism, no raise, management are back stabbers, will fire you in a heart beat

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be fair, stop being so judgemental

It's about numbers not children

Part Time Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kool Smiles part-time for more than 5 years

ProsPositive impact on children's oral health. No night or Sunday shifts.

ConsCompany focus is about numbers. In 2012 Kool Smiles vowed to change their focus from operations to quality of care. Since the launch of this initiative the company has failed to decrease the amount of operational focus but instead has increased it to almost double. Clinics are expected to book patients in a certain window of days, capture personal information such as 2 phone numbers and email. Clinics are judged on performance in these areas with some goals as high as 95%. Clinics are even monitored what % they answer the phone, how long the patients wait in the waiting room and during treatment which is in the Drs hands. With the focus so driven on numbers at the front its no surprise the focus on numbers continues with the Drs. in the back. Although the Drs. are very nice and very good Drs. They have become greedy. The company changed their compensation plan from a flat compensation rate for the Drs to a compensation based on production and bonuses. This focus has caused the Drs to treatment plan possible unnecessary treatment, Drs not leaving the operatory of the clinic to perform exams on patients causing them to wait for sometimes up to an hour which holds up the entire clinic. Staff is given a survey every 3 months that includes 3 questions. These questions are directly related to the Dr in the clinic by questioning referral to work with the Dr if they would refer to have treatment done by the Dr and if they work as a team. Even though the questions are a direct reflection on the Dr in the clinic the backlash of a low score hits the clinic leadership team although there is nothing the leadership team can do to resolve any issues with the Dr. Kool Smiles changed direction in early Jan. to have all reporting structure change from operational minds who could help with the movement of the operational focus to having the company run by Drs. This would understandably be the right decision IF the company was focused on quality instead of numbers. The company is not focused on quality they are more operationally driven than ever before except this time there is very very little support from corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe evaluate where the company is headed and remember why the company was founded. Work a week as a patient coordinator, Dental Assistant, CTL or office manager to see exactly how much pressure each position carries with it for performance

Great environment to work in and grow

I have been working at Kool Smiles

ProsGreat family environment with awesome employees to work with. The staff is extremely friendly to both patients and co-workers.

ConsThe only cons I can think of are some days can be very hectic due to over scheduling or just walkin patients, but in all reality there are no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat JOb

Worked for Kool Smiles? Contribute to the Community!

Kool Smiles Videos

Kool Smiles – Why Work for Us?

Behind the smiles of our dentists is a company with a purpose. We started Kool Smiles in Decatur, Georgia, in 2002, because we saw a huge need for quality dental care in underserved communities. In our first year, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kool Smiles reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kool Smiles CEO Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth . All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Kool Smiles employees.