Kool Smiles Reviews

Updated February 23, 2015
93 reviews filtered by
3.3
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth

Pros
  • Obvious commitment to providing the best quality care to the individuals in most need of dental care (in 7 reviews)

• The company is committed to providing quality dental care in a safe and courteous environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable work expectations, long LONG hours (in 4 reviews)

• The Dentists and RDH's do not have any control over their schedule, so sometimes it is way too many patients to handle (in 3 reviews)

Kool Smiles is the best!

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upon working at Kool Smiles, everyone becomes family. We are all about teamwork and professional and quality patient care.

Cons

Corporate puts too much rules on us so sometimes it makes us have to rush and compromise patient care.

2. Loved working here

Former Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the employee and patients. I liked the structure and leadership.

Cons

We had few district managers who weren't the best but the corporate office moved them out.

3. great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Kool Smiles part-time (less than a year)

Pros

work is hard had a to clean a peed in playpen but the work is worth it

Cons

hard work
    had to clean a peed in play pen

good work

5. Unprofessional, it's clear everyone is overworked and stressed out!

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Takoma Park, MD
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Takoma Park, MD

I worked at Kool Smiles

Pros

Need Your Foot In The Door
    If you're right out of college and can't get a job because of experience this place will give it to you. I was hired right away, but now I know why, because this company has a HIGH turn over rate... I worked here for a year to get on my feet; I was able to work with real patients, learn real charting, and get an idea of how an office ran, but at the end of that year I literally wanted to pull my hair out with frustration and the amount of stress I was dealing with. Also within that year about 6 of the employees I first started working with left!

Good Benefits
    401k
    Health insurance
    Dental
    and all that good stuff

Cons

Over Worked
    when I first got hired I noticed there were some Dental assistants that only worked with the doctors (4 handed dentistry) 1 patient at a time everyday, and some dental assistants that only worked in what we called the hygiene bay; which consisted of about 8 chairs where DAs had to seat patients (mainly children) for cleanings, xrays, and exam. On a good day you'll have 4 DAs in the bay and each DA will take 2 chairs, however there were WAY more bad days where there weren't enough staff and only 2 DAs in the bay so each DA had to have 4 chairs! That's 4 patients at a time! We have to seat the patient, take xrays on all 4 patient's depending on age, chart with the doctor (when they feel like coming) get treatment plans, explain treatment, and most times the doctor will do same day care dispite how hectic the schedule already is or how many patients are already waiting to be seen. In between all this you somehow have to find time to sterilize instruments, clean your chairs, and bring more patients back as quickly as possible so you don't have empty chairs.

Patient wait time
    I have had WAY to many patients come to me complaining about their wait time, or asking when their child is gonna be seen. Many patients just walk out and others believe it's your fault so they are rude to you. Front desk and the call center over book patients so although we only have 8 chairs and not enought staff available there are 13-15 patients waiting to be seen in 1 hour. When you tell the doctors your patients are ready for checks they don't come right away. Then when they do and they find cavities the doctors expect the patient to wait another 30 mins even thou they have been waiting for an hour already, to be seen in the operating rooms for same day care.

No Teamwork
    Due to the heavy work load people at this office are ALWAYS trying to find ways to easy up their jobs. Whether it be going against the schedule order (skipping patients) to seeing all babies so you don't have to take xrays leaving your already over worked and also stressed out "team member" to take on the extra load. Or taking advantage of a new staff member who doesn't know that you're using them to get out of doing more work, or instead of working together to get something done your co worker would rather say that's not my job today.

Extremely Poor Management!
    I have tried to talk to management about the problems of the office and several of the other staff have gone to management as well but NOTHING ever gets delt with. I have literally sat in a meeting where one of the employees was unprofessional bashing her Co worker directly in front of management and all management said was they need to get along. The employee didn't get written up for name calling or anything and was right back to work with the same Co worker she bashed the next day.

Be more stern with employees, push for a more professional office and hire professionally trained people! Stop showing favorism and train people who really deserve it! Stop over working your employees! This causes a hectic work environment where staff is stressed and looking for short cuts out of their work load.

6. Dental assistant

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very team oriented, well trained staff, flexible work schedule, family oriented, and very friendly staff!!!!

Cons

Dentist moving and hours cut

More control to the dentist an their schedule

7. Good company

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

Awesome people to work with

Cons

Far from home but I love working there

8. Was good and enjoyed

I worked at Kool Smiles

Pros

Great working environment and friendly

Cons

Sometime a little boring if not busy

9. Ks

I worked at Kool Smiles

Pros

Takes kids and various ins

Cons

Mgmt Upper tier is a good team

10. Loved the people that I worked with

Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Kool Smiles part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to go to college and complete my degree while working at Kool Smiles for three years. I really enjoyed the staff that I had the opportunity to work with. I had to relocate, otherwise, I would still work there

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of room for growth (hence my relocation), high turn over rate

My manager was awesome!

11. Money hungry, patient care was compromised.

Former Employee - Dental Assistant
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant

I worked at Kool Smiles part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start off a career as it was a simple working environment, doing only fillings, pulps and sscs.

Cons

Besides being paid below the average, kool smile WILL hire anyone, people with felonies, warrants out and people on probation. They have a high turnover rate because they don't care about their employees only about how much revenue they bring in, because of this patient care is compromised.

Pay more attention to you employees and what they have to say instead of shrugging it off.