KraftMaid Cabinetry

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy Wadhams

Not a good place for workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, decent benefits, most supervisors are easy to get along with

ConsLooks at workers as a number. Lots of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. They work hard for it.

I learned a lot while working for this company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is like working with a family. People work together to get the job done. They are a company that helps with the local area.

ConsIn the summer it is extremely hot working in the factory do to all the equipment. They seem to have scheduling issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people on the floor that are actually doing the work before making changes to the bonuses, benefits, and perks for working with the company. There are very many employees that have great ideas; but no one listens to them.

At the time, a company in flux

ProsGood compensation and benefits
    Excellent product discounts for employees
    Good job security

ConsLimited understanding of digital marketing
    Beholden to over-arching parent corporation

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved this company and the people that I worked with. Management at Ann Arbor has no clue how this company runs.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsGood people and good company. Pay was very good and competitive.

ConsManagement in Ann Arbor does not have a clue how to run this company. No interaction with the employees that do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for the employees help and advice. These people have valuable skills and experience!

Worst employment experience of my life - 7 years of hell

KAAT Builder (Former Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsPay was decent for being a semi-skilled position that didn't require a college education. I learned how not to treat employees while working there -- that came in handy for my next job.

Cons1) As an assembly (KAAT) employee, your ideas are irrelevant. Don't bother bringing up your opinion, peon, and get back to work. You're not being paid to think,
    2) Quality assurance is a joke, and is only considered when the QA department is auditing your department at any given time.
    3) Hit your projected production numbers for the hour or else. Work harder, faster, and don't you dare make a mistake, If you do, you will be berated and made to stop what you're doing to fix it, then will be reprimanded for not hitting your hourly numbers. Rinse and repeat.
    4) Management will lie to you in order to keep morale in that cushy spot between dissatisfaction and outright mutiny. Expect no more or less from them - they're in the same boat, just higher up the chain.
    5) You and your coworkers will be reminded on a near-daily basis that if you don't like working at KM/Masco, McDonald's is hiring. So clever.
    6) The half-assed JIT system is in shambles. Staging and milling are overworked and under the same conditions as assembly, so their output is rarely timely or in any way resembles a quality product.
    7) Since we live in the United States of America, you may think that hard work and initiative will eventually be rewarded by increased opportunities, but get that silly idea out of your head if you work for Masco. You are a cog, and a disposable and contemptable one at that. Hit your pay ceiling (or don't) and shut up. No one is interested in any other skills or knowledge that you may think that you can bring to the table. Your ideas, if raised to management, will fall on deaf ears, unless someone in management thinks they can use them and snag all the credit for it. If someone in middle-management has their eye on you to become a supervisor, DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. I saw MANY good, hard workers go down that path and lose their jobs when the going got tough, with no option to return to their prior positions.
    8) You are expected to have the utmost loyalty to Masco/Kraftmaid, but that is a one-way street. Do not make the mistake of thinking that this company cares one iota about its employees.
    9) This company is a sinking ship. If you haven't already, get a backup plan and get the hell out of there, unless you want to be let go at the same time as everyone else. The job pool will be diluted and it will likely be very difficult to find something else, as you'll be competing with your former corowkers.
    10) I could really write a book about the horrible way this company conducts itself, but I have leaves to rake. Maybe I'll add more if this site lets me edit my post.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, guys. Eventually, you'll whittle this company down to nothing and will get the opportunity to spread your cancerous business ideologies to other firms.

Someone put this company out of its misery!

(Former Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsSome of the stupidity was laughable. Some of it could have been laughable had it not been so unbelievable.

Cons1. You have people in positions of power that know NOTHING about engineering, systems, quality, etc... The fact that these morons think that they knew something was even more entertaining.
    2. There wasn't any innovation in this company...just a bad verson of the "The Little Train that could." Projects were being recycled over and over, each time the result was a painful death. Maybe a note to self: Changing paint color isn't considered innovative in the real world. As Mr. Webster states: Definition of INNOVATION. something (as a device) created for the first time through the use of the imagination.
    3. Your intelligence is the average of your peers. So when you have to have an employee development class on how to read a tape measurer...well, what can I say? I would laugh except it just wasn't as funny to experience. Seriously.
    4. "Run, Forest, Run!" Get the hell out if you haven't already. If there was an option to not give this company any stars, I would. Working there was the worst experience of my life. Working for a bipolar insecured boss that looked like a tree stump, priceless. I now have stories to tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and actually read a book about how to properly manage your people. Degrading and intimidating them actually makes you look more like the village idiot (and that's disturbing since you're surrounded by idiots already). Get rid of the Kraftmaid "Lifers" who are still left at the top. You need new blood that knows something about the 21st century technology. Lastly, you need to take a look at some of these upper management lying about their qualifications.

Employees are made aware how expendable they are on this sinking ship.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsThe pay rate is excellent.

ConsThere is no autonomy granted to employees. Masco/Kraftmaid pulls the wool over employee's eyes concerning company wide decisions that have an impact on their livelihoods. For instance, days prior to a layoff all coordinators on the production floor reassured their departments that an upcoming layoff was just a rumor. Two days later a memo was posted stating that if an employee's hire date was prior to the date listed that they would have to be let go. After said employees were laid off there was not enough individuals left for all departments to function properly. Management is all about passing the buck here.....accountability is moved from one managers shoulders to the next down until an issue is forgotten rather than resolved. The housing market/scam of 2007 can only be blamed for so long before management re-evaluates decisions they have made.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany wide meetings with the president of the company that are relayed via pre-recorded media is a blatant disregard for employee's opinions and/or feelings. In reference to the question below about Tom Chieffe...he is no longer with the company. He resigned as he was able to foresee the company declining.

Very compartmentalized even in your own team, I believe everyone was scared to say what was on their minds

Sales (Former Employee)
    Ann Arbor, MI

ProsVery high tech office space

ConsHold a meeting for every little thing
    Lack of structure as far as processes on what to do
    Everyone was out for themselves -a feeling of scared

Advice to Senior Managementhold more team building events
    Remove the fear from the organization

Kraftmaid Cabinetry/ Masco Retail Cabinet Group

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsThe pay and benefits were OK, not great, but OK.
    Can't think of any thing else to say that is positive.

ConsThe culture of the company is poor.
    It was a good place to work long ago, but no longer.
    Management has little respect for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMike Newton was very good, I was saddened to see him leave.
    Unfortunately, the Retail Cabinet Group was assimilated by the Builder Cabinet Group.

Good brand, nice product. Behind the times

Senior Buyer (Current Employee)
    Middlefield, OH

ProsKraftMaid has a nice product, and one you believe in while you work for the company. Most every employee employee is great to work with.

ConsBehind the times. They have a long way to go with systems, ideas and innovation before they will be able to retain top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your systems and methodology. Put things in place to make this a better functioning company and you will make more profit in the long run.

Worked for KraftMaid Cabinetry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KraftMaid Cabinetry reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KraftMaid Cabinetry CEO Timothy Wadhams. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by KraftMaid Cabinetry employees.