KraftMaid Cabinetry

Timothy Wadhams

Worst employment experience of my life - 7 years of hell

Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent for being a semi-skilled position that didn't require a college education. I learned how not to treat employees while working there -- that came in handy for my next job.

Cons

1) As an assembly (KAAT) employee, your ideas are irrelevant. Don't bother bringing up your opinion, peon, and get back to work. You're not being paid to think,
    2) Quality assurance is a joke, and is only considered when the QA department is auditing your department at any given time.
    3) Hit your projected production numbers for the hour or else. Work harder, faster, and don't you dare make a mistake, If you do, you will be berated and made to stop what you're doing to fix it, then will be reprimanded for not hitting your hourly numbers. Rinse and repeat.
    4) Management will lie to you in order to keep morale in that cushy spot between dissatisfaction and outright mutiny. Expect no more or less from them - they're in the same boat, just higher up the chain.
    5) You and your coworkers will be reminded on a near-daily basis that if you don't like working at KM/Masco, McDonald's is hiring. So clever.
    6) The half-assed JIT system is in shambles. Staging and milling are overworked and under the same conditions as assembly, so their output is rarely timely or in any way resembles a quality product.
    7) Since we live in the United States of America, you may think that hard work and initiative will eventually be rewarded by increased opportunities, but get that silly idea out of your head if you work for Masco. You are a cog, and a disposable and contemptable one at that. Hit your pay ceiling (or don't) and shut up. No one is interested in any other skills or knowledge that you may think that you can bring to the table. Your ideas, if raised to management, will fall on deaf ears, unless someone in management thinks they can use them and snag all the credit for it. If someone in middle-management has their eye on you to become a supervisor, DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. I saw MANY good, hard workers go down that path and lose their jobs when the going got tough, with no option to return to their prior positions.
    8) You are expected to have the utmost loyalty to Masco/Kraftmaid, but that is a one-way street. Do not make the mistake of thinking that this company cares one iota about its employees.
    9) This company is a sinking ship. If you haven't already, get a backup plan and get the hell out of there, unless you want to be let go at the same time as everyone else. The job pool will be diluted and it will likely be very difficult to find something else, as you'll be competing with your former corowkers.
    10) I could really write a book about the horrible way this company conducts itself, but I have leaves to rake. Maybe I'll add more if this site lets me edit my post.

Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Eventually, you'll whittle this company down to nothing and will get the opportunity to spread your cancerous business ideologies to other firms.

Crazy dictatorship.. Managers and supervisors are so scared of losing their jobs, they're just a bunch of yes men.

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Decent pay
    cheap and good benefits

Cons

Company is in financial crisis
    Micro-managing Leadership
    No Job Security
    Location is in the middle of no-where
    No upward mobility
    No development opportunities
    Horrible company and sales outlook
    Equipment is in dire straits
    Slimy business practices
    Very under-educated leadership
    No work/life balance
    Noisy environment

Sell!

Someone put this company out of its misery!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Some of the stupidity was laughable. Some of it could have been laughable had it not been so unbelievable.

Cons

1. You have people in positions of power that know NOTHING about engineering, systems, quality, etc... The fact that these morons think that they knew something was even more entertaining.
    2. There wasn't any innovation in this company...just a bad verson of the "The Little Train that could." Projects were being recycled over and over, each time the result was a painful death. Maybe a note to self: Changing paint color isn't considered innovative in the real world. As Mr. Webster states: Definition of INNOVATION. something (as a device) created for the first time through the use of the imagination.
    3. Your intelligence is the average of your peers. So when you have to have an employee development class on how to read a tape measurer...well, what can I say? I would laugh except it just wasn't as funny to experience. Seriously.
    4. "Run, Forest, Run!" Get the hell out if you haven't already. If there was an option to not give this company any stars, I would. Working there was the worst experience of my life. Working for a bipolar insecured boss that looked like a tree stump, priceless. I now have stories to tell.

Get off your high horse and actually read a book about how to properly manage your people. Degrading and intimidating them actually makes you look more like the village idiot (and that's disturbing since you're surrounded by idiots already). Get rid of the Kraftmaid "Lifers" who are still left at the top. You need new blood that knows something about the 21st century technology. Lastly, you need to take a look at some of these upper management lying about their qualifications.

Employees are made aware how expendable they are on this sinking ship.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

The pay rate is excellent.

Cons

There is no autonomy granted to employees. Masco/Kraftmaid pulls the wool over employee's eyes concerning company wide decisions that have an impact on their livelihoods. For instance, days prior to a layoff all coordinators on the production floor reassured their departments that an upcoming layoff was just a rumor. Two days later a memo was posted stating that if an employee's hire date was prior to the date listed that they would have to be let go. After said employees were laid off there was not enough individuals left for all departments to function properly. Management is all about passing the buck here.....accountability is moved from one managers shoulders to the next down until an issue is forgotten rather than resolved. The housing market/scam of 2007 can only be blamed for so long before management re-evaluates decisions they have made.

Company wide meetings with the president of the company that are relayed via pre-recorded media is a blatant disregard for employee's opinions and/or feelings. In reference to the question below about Tom Chieffe...he is no longer with the company. He resigned as he was able to foresee the company declining.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Account Representative for the Home Depot
    Former Employee - Account Representative for the Home Depot

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

Good co-workers, that is about it.

Cons

Terrible management
    They bug your car and phone, called me once when I was going 5 mph of the speed limit.
    Only care about the $.
    MASCO retail cabinet group - stay away from.

Lay off the micro management.

Very compartmentalized even in your own team, I believe everyone was scared to say what was on their minds

Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

Very high tech office space

Cons

Hold a meeting for every little thing
    Lack of structure as far as processes on what to do
    Everyone was out for themselves -a feeling of scared

hold more team building events
    Remove the fear from the organization

Innovation? What Innovation?

Current Employee - Product Designer
    Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

Great benefits and a fair work environment.

Cons

Innovation and design has no meaning to KraftMaid.

Understand the process of Innovation and Design prior to starting a department.

Kraftmaid Cabinetry/ Masco Retail Cabinet Group

Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

The pay and benefits were OK, not great, but OK.
    Can't think of any thing else to say that is positive.

Cons

The culture of the company is poor.
    It was a good place to work long ago, but no longer.
    Management has little respect for the employees.

Mike Newton was very good, I was saddened to see him leave.
    Unfortunately, the Retail Cabinet Group was assimilated by the Builder Cabinet Group.

Kraftmaid Cabinetry Conquering the World, Crushing it's Employees

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Orwell, OH
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Orwell, OH

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

Kraftmaid Cabinetry offers a variety of training courses in order to 'build' better supervisors and/or managers. Kraftmaid is also the world's leading cabinetry company in offering semi-custom cabinets. Kraftmaid continues to innovate new products and concepts in the marketplace.

Cons

The Kraftmaid Cabinetry senior management team is more often than not slow to communicate important issues/policies. Middle managment is often left on their own to 'muddle' through these newly implemented policies or issues with the work force with little to no support.

Senior management needs to seriously correct the information gap between themselves and middle management to help ease the transition into new policies. More of an effort needs to be made to support middle management in dealings with the work force on a daily basis.

Not a good place for workers

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, most supervisors are easy to get along with

Cons

Looks at workers as a number. Lots of layoffs.

Treat your employees with respect. They work hard for it.