Kramer Levin Reviews

Paul S. Pearlman

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

Pros

base salary + overtime + bonus. Interesting cases and lots of opportunity for trial experience

Cons

Frequently grueling hours, particularly when prepping for/working on a trial

Advice to Management

better training program for inexperienced paralegals

2. Fraudulent Billing Practices based on Intense Internal Pressure

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are competitive. The offices are very nice; plush even. The support staff is excellent; especially with what they have to endure. A place to spend a year or two before you think about what big firm you’d really like to work for.

Cons

As an associate, I cannot property describe the intensity of the pressure you come under to generate more and more billable hours. The firm will pretty much do anything, including offering advice contrary to the interests of the clients, just to generate more and more billable hours. I often find myself under pressure to “round up” my billing by a coefficient of 1.2 to 1.5. Screamers rule the roost, as long as they just keep billing hours (real or not); the more you bill, the louder you can scream and get away with it.

Advice to Management

Get a software time-tracking system in place that can track true time spent toward a client’s matter number, as well as do so in such a way that billing cannot be fabricated or manipulated. Tell the partners to cut down on their intimidating and childish antics; generating lots of billable hours should not be an excuse to scream, degrade, and treat your colleagues like they are sub-human.

3. Great Service to Clients but Unchanging Management Style

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kramer Levin is a great firm with high level work and which provides excellent service to clients. It's an overall friendly place with few "screamers." It offers associates the ability to take on challenging work in major cases.

Cons

Partners are sometimes resistant to change. Unlike some of my friends' firms, some departments at Kramer have no coherent system to manage associate workflow, which leads to work an inordinate amount of working landing with a small number of associates. In addition, I have observed that senior associates with more aggressive (and sometimes abrasive) personalities have been made partner while more collegial and collaborative styled-senior associates were skipped over. Finally, even successful associates receive virtually no positive recognition for their work, which is culturally viewed as a bare minimum, rather than something worth appreciating.

Advice to Management

Implement a coherent system to spread work among associates more evenly (the nature of the work obviously does not allow for total equality of workflow) across all departments.

5. No Woman Should Work Here. Misogynist Bullies.

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good lawyers. Long term relationships with corporate clients. Above average pay. Appears very professional (externally).

Cons

Advice to Management

As a woman, I am embarrassed to have given nearly 4 years of my career to this firm, and am moving on at my earliest opportunity. You have created an environment for woman worse than the 1950’s. If you want to attract and retain female attorneys, then change your unspoken policies to foster equality. End the prejudice against women, and end the constant bullying of female and younger employees.

6. No Woman Should Work Here. Misogynist Bullies.

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

Pros

Cons

Internally is another story: Women are constantly talked down to, passed up for promotion, and outright talked over and yelled at in meetings. The average time and workload a woman must handle, to be treated the same as a man, in the same position, is staggering. The place has been overrun by misogynist bullies.

7. Stay Away!! Screamers & Unethical

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offices are nice. Large firm. Good benefits.

Cons

Lawyers routinely scream at junior attorneys and secretaries. Completely unethical firm from top to bottom. Pads billing. Doesn’t care about clients and sees them only as a source of dollars.

Advice to Management

Stop the pervasive unethical behavior. Stop fleecing your clients and rewarding people for it. End the culture of screaming and complete lack of professionalism in the office.

8. Excellent firm if you are in the right practice group

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Kramer was a fantastic firm for me, but it is very practice group dependent.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Promote homegrown associates!

9. Associate

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some cool people. Don't get used to it because they leave.

Cons

No work life balance Culture is not like it used to be because of all the lateral hires

Advice to Management

Work on retention. The churn rate is too high.

10. Great place tough hours

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time

Pros

nice people that really work hard

Cons

hierarchical and not enough exposure for junior colleagues

Advice to Management

give younger lawyers more opportunities to shine

11. Temp floater secretary

Current Employee - Floater Legal Secretary Temp in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Floater Legal Secretary Temp in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many desks to cover, many areas of practice, opportunity to learn new software, excellent per diem pay. Mostly professional and very nice people.

Cons

Would have wanted more instruction on certain programs and protocol....Just more time to go over with instructor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I considered it a privilege to work at Kramer Levin, even if it was only as a temp floater spot.

RSS Feed </> Embed