Krames StayWell

Be The First To
Add Photos

Trent Sterling

A place undergoing changes

Senior Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Krames StayWell full-time

Pros-good scope of work, with opportunities for growth and development
-good managerial support
-great coworkers and mostly great clients

Cons-focus of company is shifting a lot--they can't decide whether to act like a publisher or agency
-shifting focus has resulted in a lot of upper management transition and instability
-poor morale due to lack of direction and the pressure put on non-management staff to close revenue gaps

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to a vision for the future of the company and stick with it.

An example of what is wrong with corporate America.

Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Krames StayWell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great people work here - smart, caring and down to earth.

ConsThe infrastructure is built on tedious corporate policies that suck the creativity, individualism and innovation out of every employee that actually has the desire to contribute.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, its too far gone. Just start treating employees better, and hire some more people to even the workload out. Senior management should get out of their silos and interact with those at the front lines. You might learn something.

Good company but no growth opportunities

San Bruno, CA

I worked at Krames StayWell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, competitive pay, good work-life balance.

ConsNot willing to let people move up, even when the skills are present

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more growth opportunities and look at people as more than their current position

Company being run into the ground -- no executive leadership

I worked at Krames StayWell full-time

ProsThis company was built on the legacy of two very successful companies -- Krames, StayWell Custom Communications, both with clear definition about their value proposition to the market.

ConsSince merging to become Krames StayWell several years ago, there has been lip service to becoming a unified company with a core vision and strategic plan. The company is constantly reacting to market needs in a superficial manner, not investing properly in the market research and strategic planning process to carve out a unique niche. The company is totally driven by profit and revenue growth -- not the needs of clients and the market. This is a classic case of a private equity managed organization that continually makes decisions to meet unrealistic numbers -- which usually results in impulsive reorganizations and layoffs to cut expenses so that the bottom line looks healthier than it actually is.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew top leadership (CEO) will save this company

Fear and Loathing based Management

Evanston, IL

I have been working at Krames StayWell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTalented employees who put their clients first. A depth of knowledge in the industry that is unparalleled by the competition. A reverse commute to the northern suburbs to Chicago is a pretty sweet deal, and most employees work a somewhat flexible workday hours. It's easy to work privately all day in your office or cubicle (with a sliding door) and not be disturbed all day, if that's your preference.

ConsAny challenge to entrenched processes is seen as threatening to senior management. Employees are encouraged to keep quiet, or be disciplined by paternalistic managers who are hell-bent on hanging onto their own tenuous jobs at all costs. Several rounds of layoffs have left most employees shell-shocked and terrified to rock the boat, and anyone who does doesn't last long. Office gossip is high, while morale is extremely low. Compensation is below average and as the company has replaced seasoned employees, they have scraped the bottom of the barrel and sought out whoever will accept the lowest pay, and quality has suffered. The message has been clear: money is all that matters to this failing company, which is now struggling to redefine itself in the marketplace. If you don't mind appealing to ego-driven bosses and giving them exactly what they want, (lots of ass-kissing) you have the possibility of succeeding here, but you'll likely become a heavy-drinker in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like petulant children. Throw out the insulting review process — not a single employee buys the notion that a "3" isn't equivalent to a "C." Find a new way for employees to contribute valuable feedback, because the current atmosphere doesn't provide safety to make contributions without fear of unacceptable repercussions, up to and including threats of termination.

Decent experience-while it lasted.

Video Specialist (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Krames StayWell full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, easygoing attitudes at Portland office. The work was steady and everyone had their own closable office. I don't take that for granted anymore!

ConsUpper management didn't seem to care about the Portland office. There wasn't much interaction that made me feel cared for or even interested in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut creativity on a higher pedestal!

Weak, ego-driven senior management threatens to doom this company.

I have been working at Krames StayWell

ProsCollegial, flexible environment. Some great solutions that can add real value to healthcare organizations. A number of dedicated, smart, creative people on the team.

ConsPoor leadership, driven by goals of private equity firm. Money, time and talent wasted by ill-conceived ideas. Doesn't listen to the market. Wants to be a technology company, ignores its competitive advantage in content and strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a new CEO and some senior executives with the strategic vision and operational discipline to realize this company's potential.

Company has potential, but the uber corporate parent company makes it a frustrating place to work.

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Krames StayWell full-time

ProsSmart, creative employees. Good clients. Work/life balance. Interesting work.

ConsConstant restructuring and layoffs. Lack of vision/direction from corporate. Benefits are lacking: little time off and lot of out-of-pocket expense for insurance. No career development. Employees are overworked. Different divisions don't communicate much or work together. Seems to be behind the times in terms of technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like human beings, not machines. Value people and they'll be more loyal to you. Hire enough people to do the work. Decide on a vision and follow through on it. Share information so everyone knows all the products.

One of the most poorly managed companies I have ever worked for.

I worked at Krames StayWell

ProsThere are many talented people that work for this company, across multiple divisions, but most of them do not hold management level positions.

ConsMiddle and upper management repeatedly ignored issues raised by employees. There were also multiple reorganizations and subsequent layoffs over a relatively short period of time. As a result, employee morale was extremely low company wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Laid back, fun team but lack career progression

Contractor (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Krames StayWell as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people by far. SLC location is good too

ConsPeople leave the company because there is little career progression. It also does the typical end of budget hire/fire contractors which hurts productivity and morale only to save year end bonuses for management

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness will suffer following the old school business model. Simple changes would help growth.

Worked for Krames StayWell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Krames StayWell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Krames StayWell CEO Trent Sterling. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Krames StayWell employees.