Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions President, CEO, and Director Eric M. DeMarco

Eric M. DeMarco

Great for managers; not so great for workers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and work/life balance are good, depending on what you are there for. If you are on contract as an actual worker, you will conform to the schedule of the work location, which means there is no office culture to speak of. If you are a manager or corporate employee, though, the office environment is nice.

ConsKratos has the same problems as other government contractors that rely on the government for funding, such as low-bid wars, contract issues, and sudden furloughs.

Kratos acquired my company, lost contracts, underbid contracts, and layoffs followed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits package. Kratos upper management maintained a hands off approach to acquired companies, for the most part. Talented individuals working as a cohesive team produced great products and services.

ConsNot much job security here. Few contracts were won, and those were underbid, placing excessive burdens on employees to do more with less. The prospect of decreased benefits caused many employees to leave, and layoffs thinned the herd further.

Advice to Senior ManagementA corporate reputation for quality cannot be maintained if quality employees are not retained.

Hot to cold

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours and/or telecommute options depending on your job title. As one of the worker bees in the production department, I was able to work primarily from home as long as work was completed/turned-in on/before deadlines. When contract is "on", its a fast work environment with opportunities to build on skills not necessarily within your job description. Good project management system.

ConsWhen a contract is getting to its' end, you'll find yourself with nothing to do more and more and you could be sitting on "overhead" for weeks until the next project ramped up. This seems to be the norm with most DoD contracting companies, but the wait in between projects became longer (more like months) as Kratos focused more on acquisitions. Instead, there is more of a competitive, low-bid wins contract environment which has lead to heavy layoffs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of focus on business as a whole

Dallastown, PA

ProsAgreesive and forward thinking in some of their groups.

ConsSome divisions are not innovative and have short sighted goals that affect long term growth. Some of the companies they have aquired are top heavy in the management ranks and do not operate efficiently. (Too Many Cooks Syndrome)

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at leaning up your organization. Look at what talent you have at executive and management levels and cut the redundencies.

Kratos has a good CEO who is trying.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGood benefits and holiday schedule. CEO is very open and tries to keep employees informed.

ConsNo bonus program or stock options for non-management personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better incentive program.

not bad

Quality Inspector (Current Employee)

ProsThey have decent benefits to offer

Conshave a hard time with getting pay increase

Just another government contracting firm without a soul.

Computer Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsNothing good to say about the company.

ConsKratos is a mix of so many companies through acquisition. After a few years under Kratos management, the underlying culture is washed away.

Overall positive learning experience, but unfortunately, things have gotten worse with the economy

San Diego, CA

ProsGreat professional development experiences. Lots of growth opportunities where I was at. Had good mentors and coaches during the growth years.

ConsLots of layoffs recently. Leadership of business unit has gone downhill because of key leaders no longer with company. Too many acquisitions coupled with the competitive, low-bid wins contract environment, has made company growth stagnant.

Government subcontracting is a strange world

Web Developer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay
    Don't care what you're doing as long as you do your job
    Grunt-level jobs could be, and in some cases of inventive coworkers, were, done by a thirty-line script

ConsMassively overhired and overpaid people for too little work-- squandered resources led to destruction of entire department a few months later
    Advertised as contract-to-hire, no warning when contract ended that this was no longer the case

Never felt like an employee of the company but they did pay well and have nice benefits.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGood benefits including health care, dental and even free vision. 401K matching at 4.5% after being full vested was a bonus. Friendly employees and co-workers. Paid well, at least for my job as a government contractor. Free set of four Padres tickets every year for one game for all employees.

ConsLack of communication from the management. Provided no training that would have made me qualified for other positions within the company. No new work for current employees and many lay-offfs. The best employees tended to leave for other companies, leaving new people in positions such as HR and finance. Company stock at a all time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more work in San Diego. Expand on current work instead of buying more small companies. Keep your employees more informed about the company. Don't tell employees how well the company is doing when the stock price says otherwise.

Worked for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions CEO Eric M. DeMarco. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Kratos Defense & Security Solutions employees.