Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Reviews

Updated June 16, 2014
Updated June 16, 2014

2.9

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions President, CEO, and Director Eric M. DeMarco
Eric M. DeMarco

Bad Times with new Management

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Solid local employees who really do care.

Cons

Upper Management has no principle or business ethics

Go back where you came from and leave this company alone.

a corporate raider

Former Employee - I Cannot Share My Job and Maintain Anonymity  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - I Cannot Share My Job and Maintain Anonymity in San Diego, CA

Pros

the benefits were good. I don't have anything else good to say.

Cons

My department was run by people who didn't know what they were doing, and treated the people who DID know what they were doing poorly. Now, the people who did the work are laid off and the managers are still there. What could they be doing?

Treat the worker bees like the assets they are, and don't let managers run amuck.

A good company that went downhill due to mismanagement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

Pros

Up until a few years ago everyone worked as a team. Communication was good and you felt like you were part of a family.

Cons

To get a promotion, you had to be a complete screw up.
    Loyalty and hard work was never recognized.

Start from scratch and get rid of all DEI management.
    The company is top heavy in management and high salaries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Clear of this company

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Employees who work hard as a team and attempt to support each other.

Cons

Work/life balance, lack of resources, lack of ethics in higher management. Everything is about driving the stock price.

Poor pay, little concern and no support for the regular employee

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Herndon, VA

Pros

Really can't think of any

Cons

Not competitive wages. Little if any employee support from management. I worked at a remote location (not a Kratos facility) but was only a few miles from the regional Kratos headquarters. The manager responsible for the contract I was on never contacted me via email and only visited the site once or twice per year.

Toxic environment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Company got me up and running with all the supplies, software, computer and permissions I needed within a week of starting, nice break room, could make your own hours as long as you completed your work & did the minimum 40 hrs per week

Cons

Very poor communication, if you weren't in management you knew there were secret meetings going on that you were not invited to, unrealistic deadlines, management turned a blind eye to any process improvements, lots of layoffs and not many potential contracts in the pipeline, good employees left, bad managers stayed on??? No training or opportunity to change positions

Be honest with employees, communicate, say No to unrealistic deadlines - giving a crappy product on-schedule means nothing, improve image to win new contracts

Used and dumped

Pros

Steady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

Cons

To begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Employees are not tools, they are assets.

More Interested In Acquisitions than compensation or training for Front-Line Employees!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Great front-line worker camaraderie and the ESOP is very competitive!

Cons

Compared to other Defense Contractors such as SAIC, CACI the pay is very uncompetitive and it's obvious middle management has been mandated to cut training and compensation in order to go on a acquisition spree. The pay in the D.C. area is around 20% lower than what similar firms pay. On my exit interview the Govt. side wants to know why turn-over is so high and I intend on telling them why! Since turn-over is so high, Ive been told their probably going to lose this Govt. Contract when it comes up for renewal. Greed will cost you in the long run!

Your Acquisition spree in lieu of taking care of your front-line workers will eventually come back to bite you! Trust me, I'm hearing the Govt. is getting tired of you sparing resources on your employees while purchasing assets which reflects your core values.

The old DEI Services

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Winter Park, FL

Pros

The pay and benefits were good to excellent. At one time, there was a diversity of products to work on. Raises were decent.

Cons

Projects were mismanaged. People were just dumped into projects and expected to "hit the ground running" or they were dropped on the roadside. Projects were behind schedule and their configuration management was a complete mess.

Install people in management positions who encourage employees to excel and offer opportunities to improve their skill sets. Do not grow too fast, but don't shut the place down either. Reduce operating costs by renegotiating rental contracts for office space.

Large government contracts and a lot of oversight

Pros

decent pay, flexible hours, decent onboarding, lots of like-minded colleagues, made good connections

Cons

because you are working on large government contracts, there's a lot of oversight, all work is tracked down to the minute, i didn't end up performing the job that I was hired to do. ended up doing data entry more than anything

do a better job bidding contracts so that it is not always feast and famine

Worked for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions? Contribute to the Community!