Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions President, CEO, and Director Eric M. DeMarco

Eric M. DeMarco

Large government contracts and a lot of oversight

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdecent pay, flexible hours, decent onboarding, lots of like-minded colleagues, made good connections

Consbecause you are working on large government contracts, there's a lot of oversight, all work is tracked down to the minute, i didn't end up performing the job that I was hired to do. ended up doing data entry more than anything

Advice to Senior Managementdo a better job bidding contracts so that it is not always feast and famine

Good thing I can Juggle...

ProsLots of things to do
    Different projects to work on
    Friendly employees (for the most part)

ConsLots of things to do
    Smaller teams
    So many moving parts it can get confusing

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos

Great for managers; not so great for workers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and work/life balance are good, depending on what you are there for. If you are on contract as an actual worker, you will conform to the schedule of the work location, which means there is no office culture to speak of. If you are a manager or corporate employee, though, the office environment is nice.

ConsKratos has the same problems as other government contractors that rely on the government for funding, such as low-bid wars, contract issues, and sudden furloughs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Web Developer

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people to work with. The Owner gives nice perks for MLB tickets on 3rd base and private booths. Its continuously growing and becoming a major player in Defense contracts.

ConsSometimes recognition is misplaced. Mergers can be tough with reorganization. Typical growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support a great working environment.

Kratos acquired my company, lost contracts, underbid contracts, and layoffs followed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits package. Kratos upper management maintained a hands off approach to acquired companies, for the most part. Talented individuals working as a cohesive team produced great products and services.

ConsNot much job security here. Few contracts were won, and those were underbid, placing excessive burdens on employees to do more with less. The prospect of decreased benefits caused many employees to leave, and layoffs thinned the herd further.

Advice to Senior ManagementA corporate reputation for quality cannot be maintained if quality employees are not retained.

Stay Clear of this company

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees who work hard as a team and attempt to support each other.

ConsWork/life balance, lack of resources, lack of ethics in higher management. Everything is about driving the stock price.

Hot to cold

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours and/or telecommute options depending on your job title. As one of the worker bees in the production department, I was able to work primarily from home as long as work was completed/turned-in on/before deadlines. When contract is "on", its a fast work environment with opportunities to build on skills not necessarily within your job description. Good project management system.

ConsWhen a contract is getting to its' end, you'll find yourself with nothing to do more and more and you could be sitting on "overhead" for weeks until the next project ramped up. This seems to be the norm with most DoD contracting companies, but the wait in between projects became longer (more like months) as Kratos focused more on acquisitions. Instead, there is more of a competitive, low-bid wins contract environment which has lead to heavy layoffs.

Robust work environment, detailed job tasks with good support, feedback, and explanations

Instructional Designer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsTeams are collaborative and tightly run, projects are always on time, intelligent and caring managers

ConsFreedom of creative design can be difficult since they follow templated design strategies, and very tight deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive everyone a voice, somehow, so each person feels heard and appreciated.

Poor pay, little concern and no support for the regular employee

Applications Developer (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsReally can't think of any

ConsNot competitive wages. Little if any employee support from management. I worked at a remote location (not a Kratos facility) but was only a few miles from the regional Kratos headquarters. The manager responsible for the contract I was on never contacted me via email and only visited the site once or twice per year.

Lack of focus on business as a whole

Dallastown, PA

ProsAgreesive and forward thinking in some of their groups.

ConsSome divisions are not innovative and have short sighted goals that affect long term growth. Some of the companies they have aquired are top heavy in the management ranks and do not operate efficiently. (Too Many Cooks Syndrome)

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at leaning up your organization. Look at what talent you have at executive and management levels and cut the redundencies.

Worked for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions CEO Eric M. DeMarco. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Kratos Defense & Security Solutions employees.