Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Reviews

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions President, CEO, and Director Eric M. DeMarco
Eric M. DeMarco

Used and dumped

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

Pros

Steady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

Cons

To begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Employees are not tools, they are assets.

More Interested In Acquisitions than compensation or training for Front-Line Employees!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great front-line worker camaraderie and the ESOP is very competitive!

Cons

Compared to other Defense Contractors such as SAIC, CACI the pay is very uncompetitive and it's obvious middle management has been mandated to cut training and compensation in order to go on a acquisition spree. The pay in the D.C. area is around 20% lower than what similar firms pay. On my exit interview the Govt. side wants to know why turn-over is so high and I intend on telling them why! Since turn-over is so high, Ive been told their probably going to lose this Govt. Contract when it comes up for renewal. Greed will cost you in the long run!

Your Acquisition spree in lieu of taking care of your front-line workers will eventually come back to bite you! Trust me, I'm hearing the Govt. is getting tired of you sparing resources on your employees while purchasing assets which reflects your core values.

The old DEI Services

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Pros

The pay and benefits were good to excellent. At one time, there was a diversity of products to work on. Raises were decent.

Cons

Projects were mismanaged. People were just dumped into projects and expected to "hit the ground running" or they were dropped on the roadside. Projects were behind schedule and their configuration management was a complete mess.

Install people in management positions who encourage employees to excel and offer opportunities to improve their skill sets. Do not grow too fast, but don't shut the place down either. Reduce operating costs by renegotiating rental contracts for office space.

Sr Designer for Military training simulators. Duties include wiring design and integration

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Orlando, FL

Pros

Very friendly environment and interesting work.

Cons

No real opportunities for advancement and salary if significantly lower than with past employers.

Use personnel in areas that they can feel rewarded.

Great work, unstable management

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in All (Spain)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in All (Spain)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people, travel to really interesting sites.

Cons

Some of the people that are workers as mock managers are stuck in a military/college mentality with hazing and publicly chastising seen as a way for them to look better. Managers hid information and objectives, thus surprising the talent continuously. Most decisions were based on what they were told, and not what they observed.

You are laying off and 'firing' people that you shouldn't, and keeping people you shouldn't. Don't promote a new methodology to use every few months, it betrays your inexperience and lack of industry expertise/wisdom as to how to tell if something will/is working.

Large government contracts and a lot of oversight

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Pros

decent pay, flexible hours, decent onboarding, lots of like-minded colleagues, made good connections

Cons

because you are working on large government contracts, there's a lot of oversight, all work is tracked down to the minute, i didn't end up performing the job that I was hired to do. ended up doing data entry more than anything

do a better job bidding contracts so that it is not always feast and famine

Great for managers; not so great for workers.

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

Pros

Benefits and work/life balance are good, depending on what you are there for. If you are on contract as an actual worker, you will conform to the schedule of the work location, which means there is no office culture to speak of. If you are a manager or corporate employee, though, the office environment is nice.

Cons

Kratos has the same problems as other government contractors that rely on the government for funding, such as low-bid wars, contract issues, and sudden furloughs.

Kratos acquired my company, lost contracts, underbid contracts, and layoffs followed.

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package. Kratos upper management maintained a hands off approach to acquired companies, for the most part. Talented individuals working as a cohesive team produced great products and services.

Cons

Not much job security here. Few contracts were won, and those were underbid, placing excessive burdens on employees to do more with less. The prospect of decreased benefits caused many employees to leave, and layoffs thinned the herd further.

A corporate reputation for quality cannot be maintained if quality employees are not retained.

Hot to cold

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and/or telecommute options depending on your job title. As one of the worker bees in the production department, I was able to work primarily from home as long as work was completed/turned-in on/before deadlines. When contract is "on", its a fast work environment with opportunities to build on skills not necessarily within your job description. Good project management system.

Cons

When a contract is getting to its' end, you'll find yourself with nothing to do more and more and you could be sitting on "overhead" for weeks until the next project ramped up. This seems to be the norm with most DoD contracting companies, but the wait in between projects became longer (more like months) as Kratos focused more on acquisitions. Instead, there is more of a competitive, low-bid wins contract environment which has lead to heavy layoffs.

Lack of focus on business as a whole

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallastown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallastown, PA

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Agreesive and forward thinking in some of their groups.

Cons

Some divisions are not innovative and have short sighted goals that affect long term growth. Some of the companies they have aquired are top heavy in the management ranks and do not operate efficiently. (Too Many Cooks Syndrome)

Look at leaning up your organization. Look at what talent you have at executive and management levels and cut the redundencies.