Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Profile Unclaimed

Kratos-Dahlgren Location

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in King George, VA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in King George, VA

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the Colleagues are nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

I was hired over the phone and not fully evaluated for the position I was put in. The company did not do an good job of placing me on the Navy base where I would succeed. The Navy base buildings were run down and nasty where they place me with no cell phone signal. Also no sick time off just paid time off in which vacation and sick time was rolled into one, so if you get sick you will take away from your vacation time.

When interviewing please properly ask interview questions that relate to the actually job the candidate will be doing. Conduct an phone screening plus flight or bring candidates in for face to face interview so he or she will get an better feel for the job and employer will get an feel for candidate to make sure it is an good fit.

Stay away

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay, I wish I had more pros. Sorry

Cons

The general manager at the office I worked out of has no communication skills whatsoever and treats the employees like they are idiots.
    Many people have left recently and upper management fail to see that the general manager is causing the company to lose customers and employees.
    Its a miracle that the place is still in business.

Investigate why so many employees have left recently and perhaps assign a new general manager for one of your main offices....

Kraptos

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits. Made some good friends.

Cons

Fast growth and zero job security since new management came in with a new
    Vision which translates to keep the cheapest employees.

Embrace your insecurities.

Stay Clear of this company

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees who work hard as a team and attempt to support each other.

Cons

Work/life balance, lack of resources, lack of ethics in higher management. Everything is about driving the stock price.

Poor pay, little concern and no support for the regular employee

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really can't think of any

Cons

Not competitive wages. Little if any employee support from management. I worked at a remote location (not a Kratos facility) but was only a few miles from the regional Kratos headquarters. The manager responsible for the contract I was on never contacted me via email and only visited the site once or twice per year.

Toxic environment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company got me up and running with all the supplies, software, computer and permissions I needed within a week of starting, nice break room, could make your own hours as long as you completed your work & did the minimum 40 hrs per week

Cons

Very poor communication, if you weren't in management you knew there were secret meetings going on that you were not invited to, unrealistic deadlines, management turned a blind eye to any process improvements, lots of layoffs and not many potential contracts in the pipeline, good employees left, bad managers stayed on??? No training or opportunity to change positions

Be honest with employees, communicate, say No to unrealistic deadlines - giving a crappy product on-schedule means nothing, improve image to win new contracts

Used and dumped

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

Pros

Steady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

Cons

To begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Employees are not tools, they are assets.

More Interested In Acquisitions than compensation or training for Front-Line Employees!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great front-line worker camaraderie and the ESOP is very competitive!

Cons

Compared to other Defense Contractors such as SAIC, CACI the pay is very uncompetitive and it's obvious middle management has been mandated to cut training and compensation in order to go on a acquisition spree. The pay in the D.C. area is around 20% lower than what similar firms pay. On my exit interview the Govt. side wants to know why turn-over is so high and I intend on telling them why! Since turn-over is so high, Ive been told their probably going to lose this Govt. Contract when it comes up for renewal. Greed will cost you in the long run!

Your Acquisition spree in lieu of taking care of your front-line workers will eventually come back to bite you! Trust me, I'm hearing the Govt. is getting tired of you sparing resources on your employees while purchasing assets which reflects your core values.

The old DEI Services

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Pros

The pay and benefits were good to excellent. At one time, there was a diversity of products to work on. Raises were decent.

Cons

Projects were mismanaged. People were just dumped into projects and expected to "hit the ground running" or they were dropped on the roadside. Projects were behind schedule and their configuration management was a complete mess.

Install people in management positions who encourage employees to excel and offer opportunities to improve their skill sets. Do not grow too fast, but don't shut the place down either. Reduce operating costs by renegotiating rental contracts for office space.

Sr Designer for Military training simulators. Duties include wiring design and integration

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Orlando, FL

Pros

Very friendly environment and interesting work.

Cons

No real opportunities for advancement and salary if significantly lower than with past employers.

Use personnel in areas that they can feel rewarded.