Krispy Kreme

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Krispy Kreme Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Morgan
Jim Morgan

Pros
  • Good environment, free doughnuts, customer service experience (in 8 reviews)

• free donuts, total lack of supervision, we did what we wanted, when we wanted (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • When addressing that to upper management, they act surprised and act as if it's impossible (in 3 reviews)

• You have to throw away hundreds of doughnuts a day and cannot take them home unless you buy them (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst First Job Ever

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Krispy Kreme part-time for less than a year

Pros

I got to take home free doughnuts, which my family absolutely loved.

Cons

Disorganized, no actual "training". I was given a training manual but nobody even followed it. The manager stood in the back and harassed me through the headset the entire time I was up front trying to serve customers. Nothing I did was good enough; I was "not loud enough", "not fast enough", despite them knowing it was only my first job and I was still supposed to be in training. I had no idea where anything was but I was still expected to know exactly what to do. Their idea of training was the manager standing behind me, saying things like "Now look what you did, it's ruined. Why would you do that?" and other similar things. I was so anxious by the end of my last day there (due to the manager's constant nagging) that I spilled a customer's boiling hot coffee all over my hand and was not allowed to take care of the burn because I still had customers to wait on. I was also told that I would be working four-hour shifts but on several occasions where I was supposed to be going home, the manager refused to let me go and kept me over an hour after I was supposed to be leaving. On one day, I almost missed a dentist's appointment that I had scheduled six months earlier. When I told the manager, she said it "wasn't her problem" and that I should have known better than to expect to go home at a certain time. They locked my phone in the office and would not let me contact my very worried parents, who expected me home long before they actually let me out of the store. After I had already told them I could not work Sundays, they scheduled me for a very early, very busy Sunday anyway and refused to let me leave on time yet again.

I was also not informed, nor was it in the manual, that I was not allowed to wear any kind of jewelry except rings, and I was very loudly told to take off my bracelet and necklace in front of the customers, which really embarrassed me. Also, you aren't allowed to have any kind of fingernail polish or false nails, which I did not like and I know a lot of other prospective employees may not like as well.

I only worked there for a little less than two weeks. It was so stressful and I was so constantly anxious that I would get in the car to leave and end up breaking down in tears, unable to calm down for hours. Another employee that had been hired around the same as myself also quit just before I did. I do not recommend working here at all.

Say what you mean the first time around. Look into better training, and don't expect people to be great when it's only their first or second day of work.

Worst work experience in El Paso, TX

Former Employee - Manager  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in El Paso, TX

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time for less than a year

Pros

Occasionally free doughnuts, long hours and a little bit above minimum wage. Most of the workers all did their job, especially the older ladies.

Cons

No lunch breaks, I was hired as a "Manager" but first they wanted me to be a staff lead. (I have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and managerial experience). Complete joke when it comes to the management staff. The person that was supposed to, "train me" did not even speak English. They gave me a hard time since I did not find a need to take, "notes"

The management team in El Paso, TX have no clue how to run an efficient restaurant. Turnover is extremely high, overhead and variable costs are off the roof. Much of these problems can not be solved with the current management team. I had to leave because I was the only one who saw this and everyone else was completely blind. Needless to say, all the regular workers admired my hard driven effort, except for the management team. Now, I'm working in the oil and gas industry and scheduled to have my Master's degree next year

Back Stabbing Rude People

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started as a manager in training. I traveled to 2 different States. For a 6 months to train to be an assistant manager. It was fun learning different aspects of the job and traveling. The pay was out standing.

Cons

Krispy Kreme locations do not train the same. I was trained more on making donuts then actual manager training. Once I became an assistant manager I was sent to University Store in Winston Salem. I had no life the Gm there ruined my career. He set me up to fail when I went to HR I was fired 3 Months later.

Assistant manager Position needs More management training for 6 months. If u are wanting to hire a shift supervisor do that instead of placing an assistant manager at a store then treating them like a shift supervisor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should be do not,not donut

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time for more than a year

Pros

free donuts, total lack of supervision, we did what we wanted, when we wanted. total abscence of upper managers except when they came for the dog and pony shows

Cons

underpaid, under staffed, never enough help, jerk shift managers, rude customers, seriously its donuts people

come down from the office and be more involved, get real with your team and pay them, they make the money, not you.

Mixed bag work experience.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is an international company.

Cons

No career growth opportunities within Finance.

overall working at krispykreme was fun, perfect first job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Krispy Kreme part-time for less than a year

Pros

free donuts, fun work environment

Cons

mgmt ruined my experience, choose employees more carefully

dont take your job so seriously

Stressful

Current Employee - Krispy Kreme  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Krispy Kreme in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Krispy Kreme full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Annual raise
    There are no other pros

Cons

-They do not promote from within
    -No matter how hard you work and show dedication raises are extremely minimal between $.05 - $.25

I loved my coworkers but I hated working for Krispy Kreme

Former Employee - Production Associate  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing coworkers and customers. Close proximity to my home those were pretty much the only pros of this job.

Cons

Terrible policies, unrealistic expectations for production associates. I worked many days with out breaks.

Take a more active role in what is going on.

The incompetence of Management and how I was treated is absolutely appalling!!

Former Employee - Fundraising and Community Relations Manager
    Former Employee - Fundraising and Community Relations Manager

I worked at Krispy Kreme

Pros

* Free Doughnuts
    * Marketing experience
    * Work mostly from home office

Cons

* TERRIBLE Management!
    * Consistant mistakes
    * Non-Comunication

I would describe my experience with Krispy Kreme, not such a good work environment...

I worked at Krispy Kreme

Pros

They have flexible hours and they also have free doughnuts and soda pop if your clocked in.... who would complain about free doughnuts..

Cons

Most of there employees does not speak english. And there Management are not apart of the team that they are running. If the employees were running behind, the Management staff would not go on the floor to help get caught back up. There management staff is very lazy I guess you could say.

You need to communicate with your staff as well as help out your team members, not just sit in an office.

Worked for Krispy Kreme? Contribute to the Community!