Kroger Reviews

Great entry-level opportunity

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, everyone works as a team, very welcoming, great atmosphere

Cons

Very quiet and sometimes boring sitting in a cubicle all day

Advice to Management

I would have stayed if someone asked me what my future plans were and took an interest in my growth

2. Job Security, but be must be a politician to aquire promotions...

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Good benefits, Pay provides a living

Cons

Work crazy schedule. Business demands have gotten out of control. To much for team members to handle which causes half fast project management. Union environment, most management you work with just wants to fire people instead of reviewing the root cause of issues. This causes distrust of management. Not fulfilling work as the job mostly entails a check list style of management.

Advice to Management

Increase labor to cover the business objectives. Slow down initiatives so that we can get back to running a grocery store and take care of our employees. Also, if you say you are going to interview for positions, make sure you do that instead of just appointing your favorites. Your favorites are not always the best leaders....

3. Great place to shop for groceries. Still go there several times a week. Not so great if you work at corporate.

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Lots of free food to sample. Subsidized parking. 10% discount on Kroger brand products. Corporation supports the Greater Cincinnati community in many ways.

Cons

Systems are from the 70s and 80s . They put all the money into the stores, which is good. However, it doesn't help when the associates that support the store/manufacturing/distribution facility employees don't have the resources needed. My experience is the company won't ever get rid of long time managers that continue to create a bad work environment and drive people away. However, they frequently force out top management at corporate or top management at the Kroger Family of Stores,

Advice to Management

Invest in your corporate base. We are over 25 years past the hostile takeover of 1988. The company is doing well. I truly believe Kroger will overtake Whole Foods in that market space in a few years. However, your foundation/your corporate headquarters/your corporate office employees (other than top management) is weak.

5. My time at Kroger was a nightmare.

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None except for the stock appreciation.

Cons

Extremely tactical leadership that didn't know how to delegate.

Advice to Management

Give responsibility and accountability to middle managers.

6. Good solid company

Current Employee - IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for. An HSA plan is offered for health benefits and you get very reasonable time off for vacation and personal holidays. Job security is very stable with this company since Kroger provides grocery products. Even in a troubled economy, people still have to eat.

Cons

Since we are a 24x7 operation, sometimes we have to work on the weekends, which is not good for work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Kroger needs to get their pay scale for managers in line with other similar employers. Especially in the IT category, pay is not nearly as much as other companies.

7. Consumer Insight Manager

Former Employee - Loyalty Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Loyalty Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great and innovative environment. Executive management very personable. Exposure to new technologies was common.

Cons

If you've never worked in the stores it can be extremely difficult to be culturally excepted.

Advice to Management

The executive team is absolutely amazing! I would recommend that the managent in between be a bit more like a partner with their associates and not wear their titles on their exteriors. The executive team is an outstanding example of best in class management.

8. i think it depends on your boss and dept there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

401k, a little amount of tuition reimbursement, don't work long hours, parking lots, employee house brand discount, lots of samples/events in the lobby downtown, pretty nice people (depending on the dept of course).

Cons

way too many stupid, useless, disorganized meetings where nothing gets decided. very little accountability. i have known many people, not just as GO but at divisions as well, that totally don't do their jobs and they aren't going anywhere. as with any office, the strong carry the weak - but here they don't seem to fire the weak or have any interest in it.

totally low salaries. I'm talking suuuuuuper low for an office job. only 37.5 hours a week - no, not 40 like most places. no overtime unless you happen to get a dept with $ to burn - which you wont. they are cheap about lots of things like supplies, holiday lunches (or anything similar to that).

your life lives and dies by your manager with little recourse. i really love my boss, and am super lucky because it seems most people don't around there, but its not enough to conquer the general culture which leaves a bad impression all the time.

I'm sure this place could be better but the fundamental underline of Kroger is that they really don't care about their employees and just pretend to it is so obvious.

in addition your education is not given and respect and does not bump up your pay and if you are an employee and go back to school for a masters they will also not increase your pay.

i mean i know its a huge corporation but there are wayyy too many lazy people there. i see only a minority or ppl stay until 6 andif they do they are just chatting. some people call that work life balance - but are you really telling me in a building of 4000 or whatever that there are only a few people with wor to finish late? totally a 'ill get to it tomorrow attitude. no incentive to rush.

i do love a lot of people there though and there are tons of great people there, but i swear the above is the general culture.

they make you sign that you will not leave the position the hire you for for two years, even internally - which sucks. note: this can be worked around with a good managers help.

don't let hr tell you they don't give extra weeks of vacation to starters. they do. i heard it in my on boarding - after the lady who hired me swore they didn't.

also dont let ppl tell you the heathcare is good - its ok - not enough to dream of the place

Advice to Management

why don't you do things that incentivize people to stay? there is only suspicion of the hourly class. all you salaried people were once hourly, and there are too many managers which act like speaking to someone beneath them is a waste of time. thanks! i feel the same about you and your bogus hierarchy based on when you might've done work in the 1980's - i mean i hope you did work at some point? Certain areas of management need to be managed themselves more closely. just because someone has a face does not mean they will be good at their job

Its was okay for the time being....

Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekly Pay Checks
    10% Employee Discount

Cons

Poor management
    Under staffed
    Not Enough Hours
    Poor leadership
    Attitudes

Advice to Management

Give some of your employees chances and stop playing the favorite card

10. An experience

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co workers, good atmosphere, very flexible hours, opportunity to excel, decent benefits

Cons

never enough help, union regulates wages, sucks unless you've been there for years and if you've been there for years it's hard to leave.

Fascinating company but uninspired and the people aren't driven to create change

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

There is a ton of flexibility with scheduling which I love!

Cons

No one is inspired and it's hard to motivate myself a lot of the time!

Advice to Management

Assimilate your associates, especially new associates, to understand the goals of the company better. No one understands why they do what they do and it's frustrating.