Kroger

Kroger Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights
88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work.

Customer Service/Accounting (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe ability to have a balanced work and personal life.

ConsToo many different managers for each department.

10 years with Kroger, none feel wasted.

Floor Supervisor & Customer Service (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat benefits, plenty of career opportunities, flexible hours.

ConsSlow salary increases, annoying customers, passive aggressive culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less passive aggressive

Call Center

Ambassdor (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe Kroger discount of only 10% off Kroger Brands.

ConsThere's no flexibility for doctors appointments or if your kids are sick. Everyday something changes and employees are held responsible. The management team takes no responsibility in anything. In order to get a direct hire you must first go through a temp service meaning no benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre Company at best

Cashier (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosokay for first time job experience, not much good for anything else

Conscompany does not care about you, just the bottom line. things are often overly chaotic and your superiors never know what they're doing.

Stable Company

Meat Clerk (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFirst shift is the best. If you work third they do pay you an extra dollar an hour which is nice. We great 50cents ever 1000 hours which is better than before at 10cents. Other than that its a good place to start out at. There's room to get promoted depending your taste.

ConsThe main con I have is pay vs what you can do should be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease people's pay for wanting more responsibilities.

great place to start a career

Category Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Large company with a lot of opportunity
    -Virtually impossible to get fired, unless you do something crazy like try to hurt someone, even then you might just get moved.
    -Easy to learn and get experience

Cons-They don't value higher education, they value time with the company
    -Very old school, good ole boy culture, very few none white males get to the top
    -They don't value innovative thinking, from inside of the company, they do from outsiders like Boston Consulting Group, Suppliers, Nielsen, etc..
    -Difficult for young people to connect, most people in the office are 40 or higher or married with kids.
    -You can't move high unless you were a store manager
    -Hard to move up if you are not friends with someone high in the company
    -Lower the average industry salary
    -Only 10% off of Kroger branded product

Advice to Senior Management-Consider cultivating top talent better
    -Make promotions based off of ability to do the job, not based off of your personal relationships
    -Make better decision's when launching new initiatives, most of them make no sense for the business and conflict with everyday business. Seriously learn your business before you decide to make things up just because. If you do decide to create something new, then you need to create a plan that we can all follow and understand so that we can execute it properly. Right now we are all just doing what we think would work best, which is why so many things fail.
    -Be honest, not political, when making decisions that effect peoples lives
    -Require a college education for all positions in the corporate office, seriously having officers that only went to high school isn't inspirational, its a slap in the face. Value associates that want to go to grad school, what you offer for education is simply not enough to go to an accredited graduate institution.
    -Clearly there are a lot of internal Kroger marriages and families that get preferential treatment when it comes to pay and promotions, stop it.

It's okay.

Assistant Drug/GM Receiver (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsTime off policies, personal growth

ConsRidiculous hours and schedules, petty management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more direct with associates

Going down hill

Night Lead (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsBenefits are affordable and good

ConsEverything else is going down hill fast

Be ready to take the fall

GO Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsBonus is great if they hit their mark

ConsSenior management out for themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the little guys

Standard corporate environment, driven to improve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsI was a consultant (most were) so I have no direct comment on benefits, opportunities for advancement, etc.

There is currently a lot of buzz, work and money being put behind technology (infrastructure, websites, mobile apps). The drive to improve and become a leader in technology is real.

The team I worked with was passionate about "doing the right thing" in terms of design and implementation.

Work life balance was very good. Of course if something goes wrong, extra off hours work may be needed to correct and deploy, but this isn't unexpected in software development.

No union in corporate positions.

ConsStandard corporate attempts to make up for lack of resources or talent with more and more processes. A lot of time is spent just talking about processes. Rally convinced Kroger to adopt SAFE Agile practices. Now an entire tech office (>100 people) goes offsite to spend 2 days every 8 weeks planning their next 8 weeks of work. Unfortunately, it only takes 4-6 hours to do the planning, so everyone sits idle for more than a full day doing nothing.

Development managers didn't develop. They had no time for coding because of constant meetings. Thus, they are relegated to being subject matter experts, in general removed from working with their developers and working in the code they are charged with leading.

Code quality was average to low. In almost all cases it was due to inexperience or lack of knowledge. Most developers are early in their careers or new to the platform/language they are assigned to. No mentorship or code review was in effect. An inexperienced developer could have free reign to write terrible code and as long as it passed functional tests by QA, it was accepted.

While the drive to become technologically savvy and a front-runner in their development organization is there, movement is very slow. Nine months after first word of a plan to create a test environment (server) for development was heard, there was still nothing set up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to let development leads actually spend time with developers and in their code base so that they can monitor code quality, provide direction and standards. There are "architects" in place for leading conceptual discussions of implementation, but this is insufficient. Since the development leads have little time to be involved in development, there effectively is no hands on architect with knowledge of the code for some projects. This has led to lower quality code and that slows development substantially over time.

Move quickly to address structural issues like setting up a test environment for development -- not having this slows down development considerably. Make sure everyone has the tools they need to do their job.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!