Kroger

www.kroger.com
Profile Unclaimed

145 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A good job, not a good career

Current Employee - Line Cook in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Florence, KY

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, raises based on hours worked, union, Department heads can be reasonable people 10% discount on some store brand items.

Cons

Management changes often and seams disorganized, little training offered for the job your going to do. Pay is slow to raise with only nickle and dime raises for the first four raises. you basically have to work all holidays. And the only day the store is closed is Christmas. Also a company that made $1.5 Billion can only give its employees a 10% discount on store brand items only.

Pay your employees more and treat them better. you always and i mean always side with the customer when a dispute comes up and can alienate your workforce. Good customer service, the service you wish us to apply, comes from exceptions to rules. When we tell the customer we can do something for them that we normally can't do is when they are happiest, but you never tells us those exceptions. trust your employees more and treat them as irreplaceable even if they are.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity here. Huge company.

Cons

I have none at the moment

Good pay, annoying management.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good raises and benefits. Easy to get promotions.

Cons

Union. Scheduling issues. Goes by seniority so it takes a long time to actually get hours. Management is unappreciative.

Care about your employees. Be less lazy.

You do more customer service than anything.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are good about working around schedule, giving you hours. ( you're allowed to go to another store to pick up hours if you don't get enough at your primary store).

Cons

I would say the pay. I feel like technicians are the face of the pharmacy. Technicians keep the customers coming back with friendliness, and great customer service.

Look at how each person does their job. There are people who try their best to avoid customer service and shove it off on others.

Being an Intern

Former Intern - IS&S Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Intern - IS&S Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Interns are given real life applications to work on

Cons

Working as an intern can be very stressful if you are unable to pick up quick

Bagger

Former Employee - Bagger in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Bagger in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Kroger is a great place to work.

Cons

I can't think of any cons I really enjoyed working at Kroger.

Keep up the good work.

Very unpleasant environment. Cinti, OH.

Former Employee - Vacation Relief in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Vacation Relief in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and They provide your uniforms and steel toes.

Cons

You are judged by coworkers and your future with the company is based on how these coworkers feel about you. The management is very unprofessional and HR dies nothing about the unfair and unprofessional practices. The union is weak they work for the company and not for members of the union.

Corporate please evaluate the practices used by your management and HR teams. You all have lost some very good employees. I was discharged because they said I had an attitude I had perfect attendance no confrontations with anyone I did a very good job never been coached about anything. My record was clean but I was judged by others due to my appearance. Management discharged me one week before my probationary period was up. HR was not present but when I addressed it to HR they basically upheld the dscrimination against me because they did not resolve the issue. Of course it was wrote up as an performance trangression but I had no transgeessions, write ups or reports of poor job performance to back it up. During my training in different areas the trainers were slackers in the breakroom sleeping , or some where in the facility when they were suppose to be training. I had a Supervisor who had no knowledge of the Dept (beverage) My experience was horrible.

Kroger Management Store-wise and Corporate-wise is a HOT MESS!

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, regular raises (to a certain point although not competitive...based on hours worked not quality of work) co-workers are great, work with your schedule to a certain point.

Cons

Store management has no idea what they are doing. No communication, their minds change daily and then they yell at you for doing it the way they wanted it the day before because they want it another way now. Corporate is a MESS. No one knows what is going on. Everyone tells department heads different things to do but everyone is contradicting each other so department heads have no solid direction from upper management. Associates are treated poorly. They have unrealistic expectations. Favoritism is a HUGE issue. It is like everyone working for Kroger never grew out of high school....even management. Department heads are not given the freedom to discipline their people. My manager wanted to write someone up for something (it was last year right before the holidays) and one of the co-managers said no "we wouldn't want to hurt their feelings before the holidays" people slack off (they still get the raises anyway, why work for them!) and nothing is done to fix it. Certain people are expected to devote all of their time to Kroger and bend over backwards while others get away with refusing to do things that are specifically their job.

Grow up, treat everyone the same, actually use disciplinary action instead of trying to be everyone's friend. COMMUNICATE!!! especially with store managers and co-managers so all the managers in the store are on the same page. Take responsibility for decisions made. Expect people to do their job and when they don't discipline them, don't let them get away with it. Acknowledge when employees go above and beyond GIVE A LITTLE RECOGNITION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Employees feel taken advantage of!

Mind numbing work on night shift

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Union is the best thing about the job

Cons

the morale is poor, too much back biting

more communication

over all a good experience overwhelming at times

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

friendly managers and helpful young cashiers and very friendly. the place is very busy during holidays managers help you every time you need it and very supportive during training. at times even they got stressed on hectic hours

Cons

customers rude at times. hectic on holidays

have more people working during busy hours. and a raise and give workers more hours