Kroger Reviews

Reset
3.2
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Good benefits, flexible schedule (in 76 reviews)

• The pay is not bad for part-time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non existent no matter what they tell you (in 58 reviews)

• Fuel center workers are not eligible for any benefits or full time (in 98 reviews)

1. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Blacklick, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Blacklick, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Management Good Coworkers Friendly enviroment

Cons

Rude customers Deliveries are never on time

2. Depressing at Kroger Central Fill

Former Employee - Central Fill Pharmacy Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Central Fill Pharmacy Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 10% discount off Kroger brand items; Offers tuition reimbursement in something pharmacy-related. Central Fill is not affiliated with the union, like the stores are. Lastly, it was great to not have to deal with customers.

Cons

The work/life balance was horrible; I was working about 50 hrs/wk, SU-TH & SA. Many employees here are unreliable, as a result, many call-offs happened and more work fell onto the dependable staff. The supervisors, techs and clerks were somewhat unprofessional. Many used foul language and would be disrespectful to one another. There was poor communication among supervisors. One supervisor would ask me to do something and while I was following orders, another supervisor would ask me to do something else a couple of minutes later. I felt like a yo-yo.

Advice to Management

Production on Saturdays have to stop. Allow upward mobility to happen at a reasonable time-frame, it's quite unfair for someone to stay in their position for TWO years before advancement. One year, would be reasonable.

3. Good work enviroment

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly workers, management nice, good customer service

Cons

fluctuating hours, low wages, high level management not knowing workers

Advice to Management

get to know your workers more personally

Not an awful experience, but not great either. The people you work around will impact your experience greatly.

Current Employee - Cashier Office Staff in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier Office Staff in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

SOME people within the company are awesome. A few of my supervisors are great friends that legitimately care about me and my well being. They know me well and trust me. If a customer comes up saying that I was rude to them or something like that, they know that I wasn't because I'm not like that. At least at my store, you work when you want. If I don't feel like working on Tuesday, I can make sure I'm not on the schedule Tuesday. As a cashier, you learn what is a good deal and how to save money.

Cons

The whole attitude of the company is bad. Kroger values each customer so much that they will let them get away with anything. Want to return your 2 year old toaster with no receipt? No problem. Want your tomatoes free because the first one you picked up was bad? No problem. Want a sale price for a different variety of an item because you couldn't read the sign? No problem. This means that we have quite a few stuck up customers. Customers throw a fit any time they don't get exactly what they want, even if you are following company policy and even if you can show them the policy. What is worse, if they ask for a manager, the manager will come down and in front of you, apologize that the employee doesn't understand the policy, give them what they want, and promise that they will train the employee. The pay is also bad. Most people will start around minimum wage and get a raise of about 20 cents a year. The way Kroger works promotes being lazy. You know that bagger who has been here for 3 years? Yeah, the guy that refuses to push carts in, puts milk on top of eggs, makes a bigger mess every time he tries to clean up a mess, and who we need to hide every time corporate decides to come by (which happens around once a month and would make you think the president is here) because he always causes problems? Well he gets paid more than me, who has about 10x more responsibilities than him and gets chewed out because when I was supervising, the lines were too long (even though we were using every single register, had more baggers than registers, and had just about the entire store at the front. The people that Kroger hires are amazing, and not in a good way. I feel more like a baby sitter than a supervisor. I can't believe I've had to say things like "don't ask a woman if she is pregnant", "don't pick your nose and then grab someone's bananas", "you can't put bleach in the same bag as meat", or "you can't pet service dogs when they are working" to adults. These people also never seem to get fired. One kid has been written up 50 times in the past few months and is still here. Algorithms run Kroger. How many hours should we schedule? Check the computer (hint: not enough). How many registers should we have open? Check the computer. How well did we do in serving customers? Check the computer. How well did we do at keeping things in stock? Check the computer. It's insulting that they don't think that we can make basic decisions. All of these metrics also work independently of each other, so if you follow one, you are likely going to get dinged in another. No one in the world can manage to keep lines short while still providing an experience that is "highly satisfactory" while keeping enough lanes open (by calling people who stock stuff up) while keeping stuff in stock while using a very low number of employees. Kroger is probably an economists dream, but in practice it doesn't work.

Advice to Management

Employees over customers. I'm at my store 1000 hours a year, a customer is there maybe 100 at the most. Create (and enforce) policies that help customers who were actually wronged and deserve help, and don't do anything for people wanting to take advantage of us. Retrain the managers to stick up for their employees, not to side with a customer who is "never going to shop here again" who causes problems every week. If you actually have "great people", treat them well. Pay them more than minimum wage. Schedule more hours. Don't keep people just under full time hours. Back them up when they follow company policy. Reward them when they do good.

6. Great people, lousy pay

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are a great team, willing to help in a pinch. Some overtime is available when the store is really hurting for work to get done.

Cons

Pay, minimum wage on a set time frame. The dock can be a real pain in the summer as there's no AC back there.

Advice to Management

I'm not going to bother with that just so I can hear "I know what it's like", so I'm just going to fill out the rest of this part.

7. Certified Money Services Associate

Current Employee - Office Staff in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Kroger has worked with me for the duration of high school and college in regards to scheduling me around my class time.

Cons

The lack of responsibility among employees becomes very cumbersome in regards to people's strong sense on entitlement and selfishness. Pro-union attitude. Plus, high turnover due to mass quantity of entry-level employment opportunities.

Advice to Management

Leave Union (which will NEVER happen)

8. bagger

Former Employee - Bagger in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Bagger in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kroger is a great place to work at for your education

Cons

Your pay will be low

Advice to Management

Help you where they can

Human Resources Coordinatorr

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Westerville, OH

I have been working at Kroger (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits. Lots of job stability.

Cons

Terrible work life balance. You are expected to put the company first even though you get in trouble for not having work life balance.

A Union is the only thing that makes working for Kroger beareable.

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union contract, Union negotiated benefits, and health insurance.

Cons

Management attempts to violate contract

Advice to Management

Your leaders signed contract, adhere to it!

11. Decent Starter Job

Current Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Canal Winchester, OH
    Current Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Canal Winchester, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are good, schedules are pretty flexible. During holidays, you can get plenty of hours.

Cons

Poor management, employees are sometimes intimidated into completing tasks, union allows poor workers to remain.

Advice to Management

Shape up

Showing 78 of 2,542 reviews