Kroger

Updated February 17, 2015
2.8

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good Company

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Groveport, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Groveport, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy training
    Nice co-workers
    Simple jobs
    Great place to work

Cons

Management played favorites
    Normal work cons

Professional Environment with opportunities for advancement within company. With the good there is always some bad.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Technicians are apart of Local UFCW. Years of experience builds seniority for advancement opportunities and increase in pay with three levels of technician training (Tech 1, Tech 2, Tech 3). Receive compensation (raises) for each successful pass of level achievements. Pharmacist are professional and educate proficiently.

Cons

Some fellow workers may be difficult to work with (comes with any job). Pharmacy goals to achieve can sometimes be reached but may be difficult due to limitation in technician work hours.

Bagger

Former Employee - Bagger in Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Bagger in Lancaster, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The location was within 30 seconds of my house and they worked well around my school schedule. A majority of the managers were also really nice and cared about you as an individual.

Cons

Working outside in freezing temperatures or in extreme hot was never fun but it is in the job description. Also being a bagger is a mind-numbing job.

Connect with employees on personal level

Oh I'm not an African female so I guess I'm not qualified

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're not a minority, good luck. Nothing else...................... American Indian, lol no such luck......................... Company is a joke.............

Cons

I'm not a African female ......... Good luck proving that you're Native American. That'll just be a joke to this country company

Whatever happened to equal opportunity?

Decent company

Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the management at this company is very transparent. They are always available and friendly. The benefits are phenomenal. However the union dues are high and charged immediately.

Cons

Hours worked stink. They require overtime which calls for no home life. The only way to make good money is working overtime.

Ease up on your people.

Kroger love

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Idk hoping to find out real soon

Cons

Get paid more to do less

Train better

Bakery manager

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Somewhat decent pay. Okay benefits package. Steady employment. Most bake goods go to the food pantry due to high price tags. Company receives tax deduction. Even if not donated as reported.

Cons

Lack of promotion, unrealistic expectations, high degree of unprofessional uneducated store and upper management. Hostile work environment with senior employees that are protected by a union that protects the lame and lazy. Racism, lack of minority groups. Extremely abusive towards homosexuality, including customers. Dishonest employees that will use outdated products to save the store money. Unsanitary work environment. Violations of both HIPPA and OSHA laws. No life or time with family.

Treat employees with respect, hire minority groups, train upper management. Promote within based on experience not popularity.

lots of hours, not a lot of pay

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Delaware, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best part of working here is the people, you can get pretty much all your days off you request, and their flexible with their schedules.

Cons

no work life balance, they will work you 39 hours a week part time , then drop you to 12 one week to avoid putting you as full time, managers are horrible

appreciate your workers more, pay them more if they've been with the company for longer. and don't display favoritism.

Great employer

Current Employee - Dsd in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dsd in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits' compensation, and diverse opportunities within the regional office

Cons

Challenging to work in an office environment with competing personalities, however this is representative of most office environments

More flexible scheduling

It's okay for a temporary job

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Westerville, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The insurance is really nice and really affordable
    I loved my co-workers they were like family to me.
    My boss really worked with my school schedule and gave me the hours I wanted for the most part.
    Somewhat easy work to do
    The benefits are pretty nice too.(paid vacations even for the part timers)

Cons

A lot of favoritism in the department. This was a special case but my boss got her future son in law a job in our department and she would give him all the promotions and stuff. And let him be cross trained in everything. It was impossible for me and a few of my other coworkers to move up or get any promotions due to that. And there was a lot of gossip but every job has that. XD . Although when both my bosses are having a bad day they take it out on everyone. And some times their bad days were related to things happening at home. And it would bring unnecessary drama., but once again that could potentially happen at any job. Also they kept wanting us to make a ton of sandwiches, stock the case and do tons of other things that wouldn't fit in an 8 hour shift. And we have to take care of the customers too. And we were really under staff so it was near impossible to do all those tasks. And in my opinion the customer should always come first no matter what. But If we didn't get the task done they would be down our throats in no time at all. And also both my bosses would talk trash about everyone in our department which was messed up and created more drama. And with their gossip it caused a huge turnover rate. Because the news would travel around the department and people would quit once they heard what they truly thought of them. But that's not Kroger's fault. It really depends on who your bosses are. I finally ended up quitting because the job became to stressful and it became too much of my life. It was becoming too much like high school with all the drama. But don't let my bad experience ruin your chances of applying every store is different. And overall Kroger isn't too bad it's a good temporary job.

Make sure you treat your people better and it will make them want to stay longer . Also an increase in pay wouldn't hurt.