Kroger Reviews in Columbus, OH

2.9
1,602 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 73 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 50 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

lots of hours, not a lot of pay

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Delaware, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best part of working here is the people, you can get pretty much all your days off you request, and their flexible with their schedules.

Cons

no work life balance, they will work you 39 hours a week part time , then drop you to 12 one week to avoid putting you as full time, managers are horrible

appreciate your workers more, pay them more if they've been with the company for longer. and don't display favoritism.

Great employer

Current Employee - Dsd in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dsd in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits' compensation, and diverse opportunities within the regional office

Cons

Challenging to work in an office environment with competing personalities, however this is representative of most office environments

More flexible scheduling

It's okay for a temporary job

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Westerville, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The insurance is really nice and really affordable
    I loved my co-workers they were like family to me.
    My boss really worked with my school schedule and gave me the hours I wanted for the most part.
    Somewhat easy work to do
    The benefits are pretty nice too.(paid vacations even for the part timers)

Cons

A lot of favoritism in the department. This was a special case but my boss got her future son in law a job in our department and she would give him all the promotions and stuff. And let him be cross trained in everything. It was impossible for me and a few of my other coworkers to move up or get any promotions due to that. And there was a lot of gossip but every job has that. XD . Although when both my bosses are having a bad day they take it out on everyone. And some times their bad days were related to things happening at home. And it would bring unnecessary drama., but once again that could potentially happen at any job. Also they kept wanting us to make a ton of sandwiches, stock the case and do tons of other things that wouldn't fit in an 8 hour shift. And we have to take care of the customers too. And we were really under staff so it was near impossible to do all those tasks. And in my opinion the customer should always come first no matter what. But If we didn't get the task done they would be down our throats in no time at all. And also both my bosses would talk trash about everyone in our department which was messed up and created more drama. And with their gossip it caused a huge turnover rate. Because the news would travel around the department and people would quit once they heard what they truly thought of them. But that's not Kroger's fault. It really depends on who your bosses are. I finally ended up quitting because the job became to stressful and it became too much of my life. It was becoming too much like high school with all the drama. But don't let my bad experience ruin your chances of applying every store is different. And overall Kroger isn't too bad it's a good temporary job.

Make sure you treat your people better and it will make them want to stay longer . Also an increase in pay wouldn't hurt.

Decent part time job, poor management

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to do what you wanted, easy to pick up, training was great and very instructional.

Cons

Upper managers at the store would pressure you into donating to the United Way and if you didn't you were on his "bad side." Produce manager was not very helpful or friendly.

Focus more on employees rather than the people above you and customers. The mood of management affects workers under you.

I loved working for Kroger

Former Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Canal Winchester, OH
    Former Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Canal Winchester, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a great team and had a great department head. Would work with you on scheduling for the most part. I had the opportunity to get more hours by covering for call-offs. I trained for 3 days on a computer and took a few tests. Then I was introduced to my work area and was trained by one of my teammates. I wish I still worked there. It's a pretty relaxed work environment, positive attitudes, smiling faces for the most part.

Cons

Average pay. Hours can change a lot. You can go from having 34 hours a week for a month and then all of a sudden end up with 15 hours a week. You really couldn't plan financially because of that reason. Company values are good and they really tried to promote a positive attitude. Union dues were a bit much, IMO. As far as advancement, it's possible but they go by seniority so if you are at the bottom of the totem pole in your department and you want to stay in that department it may take a while to move up.

I can't complain too much about management because they truly were good people.

Stores = Good, Warehouse = Bad

Former Employee - Order Selector in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Delaware, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stores: Friendly, close-knit group of people. You get a chance to get to know each other really well when working in a store environment.

Warehouse: If you're a person who likes to work alone, this is definitely a work-alone job.

Cons

Stores: Beyond supervisors, upper management isn't really too concerned with their employees, and sometimes it can be difficult to get all work done (when stocking) when you have to wait on trucks to come in, and sometimes they all get there rather late in the shift.

Warehouse: They pound "safety" into your head, but don't really seem to care much about it. People will blast through doorways without honking all the time, and there's so many people working at the same time that it's hard to figure out who to report to.

Caring about your employees is step one in a long road to getting less turnover. Reminding older employees of safety standards would be nice as well.

Started out as a great place to work but has began to regress as new executive management changes over

Current Employee - Co Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay in the related field, good health insurance at a reasonable price a company that will be there for many years to come

Cons

Work life balance, constant last minute schedule changes due to random meetings and conference calls and inability to get promoted without being in the inner circle

It's a retail job.

Current Employee - File Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - File Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People that you work with become friends and can make it a fun environment to work in.
    It's a paycheck
    Union makes it hard to get fired.
    Union has good insurance.
    Decent employee discount, especially on apparel items.

Cons

Unstable schedule
    Petty customers
    Unlivable Wages, especially at part time.
    Took me 6 years to get full time
    Difficult to move up to higher positions regardless of experience.

Respect employees they are the ones actually running the store.
    Pay people a more livable wage, rather than minimum.
    Learn and understand you don't know everything.

Acceptable.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Marion, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent policies, generally cooperative local management.

Cons

Corporate is completely out of touch with the realities of on-the-ground work, Hours change weekly.

Be more open to the suggestions of your department crews. There is a good chance that their requests for equipment or supplies are not without merit.

Assistant department manager

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy work and great opportunity to grow and advance with the company. Return customers or "regulars" are friendly and make work not like work at all.

Cons

Not a company to stay with through retirement. Union is a joke and a waste of money. Benefits get axed during contract negotiations every three years more and more with nothing in return to the employee. I have found that even after months following me leaving the company, Kroger ended up going after multiple indivduals trying anything to fire them. Made those people's lives miserable until they eventually quit. Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30+ years of service... Just to save a few bucks on the bottom line. Disgusting, absurd, and repulsive way of treating your people that have been with you for years.