Kroger Reviews in Columbus, OH

2.9
1,521 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I loved working for Kroger

Former Employee - Drug GM Clerk  in  Canal Winchester, OH
    Former Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Canal Winchester, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with a great team and had a great department head. Would work with you on scheduling for the most part. I had the opportunity to get more hours by covering for call-offs. I trained for 3 days on a computer and took a few tests. Then I was introduced to my work area and was trained by one of my teammates. I wish I still worked there. It's a pretty relaxed work environment, positive attitudes, smiling faces for the most part.

Cons

Average pay. Hours can change a lot. You can go from having 34 hours a week for a month and then all of a sudden end up with 15 hours a week. You really couldn't plan financially because of that reason. Company values are good and they really tried to promote a positive attitude. Union dues were a bit much, IMO. As far as advancement, it's possible but they go by seniority so if you are at the bottom of the totem pole in your department and you want to stay in that department it may take a while to move up.

I can't complain too much about management because they truly were good people.

Decent part time job, poor management

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to do what you wanted, easy to pick up, training was great and very instructional.

Cons

Upper managers at the store would pressure you into donating to the United Way and if you didn't you were on his "bad side." Produce manager was not very helpful or friendly.

Focus more on employees rather than the people above you and customers. The mood of management affects workers under you.

Stores = Good, Warehouse = Bad

Former Employee - Order Selector  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Delaware, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stores: Friendly, close-knit group of people. You get a chance to get to know each other really well when working in a store environment.

Warehouse: If you're a person who likes to work alone, this is definitely a work-alone job.

Cons

Stores: Beyond supervisors, upper management isn't really too concerned with their employees, and sometimes it can be difficult to get all work done (when stocking) when you have to wait on trucks to come in, and sometimes they all get there rather late in the shift.

Warehouse: They pound "safety" into your head, but don't really seem to care much about it. People will blast through doorways without honking all the time, and there's so many people working at the same time that it's hard to figure out who to report to.

Caring about your employees is step one in a long road to getting less turnover. Reminding older employees of safety standards would be nice as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out as a great place to work but has began to regress as new executive management changes over

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay in the related field, good health insurance at a reasonable price a company that will be there for many years to come

Cons

Work life balance, constant last minute schedule changes due to random meetings and conference calls and inability to get promoted without being in the inner circle

It's a retail job.

Current Employee - File Clerk  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - File Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People that you work with become friends and can make it a fun environment to work in.
    It's a paycheck
    Union makes it hard to get fired.
    Union has good insurance.
    Decent employee discount, especially on apparel items.

Cons

Unstable schedule
    Petty customers
    Unlivable Wages, especially at part time.
    Took me 6 years to get full time
    Difficult to move up to higher positions regardless of experience.

Respect employees they are the ones actually running the store.
    Pay people a more livable wage, rather than minimum.
    Learn and understand you don't know everything.

Acceptable.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Marion, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay, decent policies, generally cooperative local management.

Cons

Corporate is completely out of touch with the realities of on-the-ground work, Hours change weekly.

Be more open to the suggestions of your department crews. There is a good chance that their requests for equipment or supplies are not without merit.

Assistant department manager

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very easy work and great opportunity to grow and advance with the company. Return customers or "regulars" are friendly and make work not like work at all.

Cons

Not a company to stay with through retirement. Union is a joke and a waste of money. Benefits get axed during contract negotiations every three years more and more with nothing in return to the employee. I have found that even after months following me leaving the company, Kroger ended up going after multiple indivduals trying anything to fire them. Made those people's lives miserable until they eventually quit. Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30+ years of service... Just to save a few bucks on the bottom line. Disgusting, absurd, and repulsive way of treating your people that have been with you for years.

Chaotic Warehouse not meant for females

Former Employee - Order Selector  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Delaware, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was nice to be in a union, and have amazing benefits. People have been there for years and make a career out of being a order selector.

Cons

As a female, I felt uncomfortable constantly. There was a lack of females in the entire warehouse of over hundreds of males. There was a lot of harassment that I faced for only being there less than a month and it made me despise the company. Very dangerous when the men expect you to get out of their way and would cause accidents without a care. Constant injuries that were not minor were also a fear as everyone lacked safety while management did nothing to enforce it.

Make it more worth while since it is a very labor intensive job while supporting the females that do come in. There are people of both sexes that are completely capable of doing their job well if you create an environment that is not about sex.

Distribution Center

Former Employee - Order Worker  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Order Worker in Delaware, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security, plenty of work to do.

Cons

Very short notice when they have you stay for OT. Quota standards can be tough at times.

Decent

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers, fun, entertaining, challenging

Cons

Pay, duties, some customers, strange people hitting on you

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!