Kroger

Kroger Reviews in Columbus, OH

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers(in 65 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week(in 42 reviews)

• Barely hire any full time employees and use part timers as much as possible(in 73 reviews)

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Acceptable.

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) Marion, OH

ProsDecent pay, decent policies, generally cooperative local management.

ConsCorporate is completely out of touch with the realities of on-the-ground work, Hours change weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to the suggestions of your department crews. There is a good chance that their requests for equipment or supplies are not without merit.

Assistant department manager

Anonymous (Former Employee) Sunbury, OH

ProsVery easy work and great opportunity to grow and advance with the company. Return customers or "regulars" are friendly and make work not like work at all.

ConsNot a company to stay with through retirement. Union is a joke and a waste of money. Benefits get axed during contract negotiations every three years more and more with nothing in return to the employee. I have found that even after months following me leaving the company, Kroger ended up going after multiple indivduals trying anything to fire them. Made those people's lives miserable until they eventually quit. Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30+ years of service... Just to save a few bucks on the bottom line. Disgusting, absurd, and repulsive way of treating your people that have been with you for years.

Chaotic Warehouse not meant for females

Order Selector (Former Employee) Delaware, OH

ProsIt was nice to be in a union, and have amazing benefits. People have been there for years and make a career out of being a order selector.

ConsAs a female, I felt uncomfortable constantly. There was a lack of females in the entire warehouse of over hundreds of males. There was a lot of harassment that I faced for only being there less than a month and it made me despise the company. Very dangerous when the men expect you to get out of their way and would cause accidents without a care. Constant injuries that were not minor were also a fear as everyone lacked safety while management did nothing to enforce it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more worth while since it is a very labor intensive job while supporting the females that do come in. There are people of both sexes that are completely capable of doing their job well if you create an environment that is not about sex.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Distribution Center

Order Worker (Former Employee) Delaware, OH

ProsJob security, plenty of work to do.

ConsVery short notice when they have you stay for OT. Quota standards can be tough at times.

It's okay if you can't find anything else...

Coffee Shop (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsExperience pay for comparable jobs
    P/T employees (which most are) can have flexible unpaid time off

ConsPay is min wage MINUS union dues for newbies
    Promotions are based solely on seniority, not capability
    It is assumed that everybody is stealing from the company and the cameras are there just to get employees fired

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the employees are incompetent, but what do you expect with such meager wages? Kroger should look to brands that have better customer perceptions (Costco, Whole Foods, Publix, ect.) and note that the wages are higher and the employees are competent.

Decent

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsNice coworkers, fun, entertaining, challenging

ConsPay, duties, some customers, strange people hitting on you

Kroger works hard to make workplace fun

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsVery flexible, nearly every day you request off you will get off. No shifts longer than 8 hours, and always at least 15 minutes of breaks

ConsLow pay, some employees were hard to work with, difficult to get raises. Union takes away an hour of pay per week, which adds up fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you raise pay, you will have happier employees.

Co-Manager

Co-Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat for employment right out of college to gain management experience.

ConsThey are revolving door for co-managers they have no interest in retaining employees. It is the worst position in the company. It would be better to be an hourly employee than a Co-Manager. They give free reign to Store Managers to harass, berate, and treat co-managers like pieces of trash. They are used to pick up all slack for the hourly employees and half of the hourly employees make more money than the co-managers. If you like to be used and abused in order to gain management experience this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Corporate: Start investigating your high turn over, and open your eyes to all the abusive behavior being conducted by the Store Managers and District Teams in the Columbus Division, towards the Co-Managers. Stop letting long time employees get away with murder because they are part of some good old boy club. Make sure the Columbus Division is living up to its core values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusion, Safety, Honesty, and Diversity. Recognize you have many Store Managers reaching retirement and how are you going to ensure you have the right people in place when you go through them like water. Also it might be in your best interest to hire some HR people from outside the company that haven't worked their way up the good old boy ladder because I see many lawsuits in your future.

It's a job. 20+ years in.

Lead Hourly In Manufacturing Division (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsKroger is a very stable company. The economic outlook shows modest growth.

ConsNewer corporate structure uses a term described as the inverted triangle which also falls into another new program called managment w/o borders.

They have shuffled high level staff out of their areas of expertise, hired new inexperienced college kids and interns alike then simply expect the hourlys making less than a 1/3rd of their salary to step on-board and train.

Which is fine; if the new people were willing to listen and take criticism in a mature fashion. They would rather take a path already explored with known outcomes and expect different results....

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people on the ground level, we have a stake in the company too. No one honestly wants things to fail; trust that we are all on the same team.

People don't quit companies; they run away from bad management.

Great Place, Great managers, Great people

Cashier (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWhere do I begin? I love all of my co workers, the managers are friendly, the hours are extremely flexible and the work isn't too demanding. It has a team atmosphere that I never felt at Costco.

ConsThe pay isnt great, but since as a cashier my job isnt too hard anyway, it wouldnt be realistic to expect more.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!