Kroger

Kroger Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers(in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week(in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30(in 75 reviews)

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Kroger does not care about it's employees.

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Garden City, MI

ProsVery nice associates to work with
    Fast paced, always busy.
    Time goes quick, 8 hour shifts feel like nothing
    Friendly customers (I worked as a grocery clerk)
    Excellent benefits with the best health insurance
    1 week vacation after first year of employment
    Union

ConsLow compensation for maximum expectations

Part time employees have inconsistent hours
    Awful pay

12 hour work weeks at minimum wage are diminished by union dues and arrears.

No room for promotions

Seniority is seen as greater than work ethic.

Favoritism is disgustingly relevant.

Management doesn't care for it's employees, which is understandable due to the minimal
    requirements for working for this company.

Kroger prefers to have part timers working for minimum pay than to reward good employees with reasonable raises.

Your health insurance will be cancelled if you do not work a minimum amount of hours required, which is bad because part time workers have their hours manipulated.

Some full timers are undeserving of their status yet nobody bats an eye, but part timers are ridiculed for every mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule a meeting with every employee, give a performance evaluation, ask them where they see themselves in the company and help them make necessary adjustments to achieve their goals. There are employees that take their job very seriously.

Treat every employee with respect where respect is earned. We are all working under the same roof, nobody is better than anyone.

Being acknowledged, even just once, goes a long way. It's nice to hear compliments for doing good work.

The pay could be better. Working minimum wage in the dairy department lacked an enormous amount of compensation. Better starting pay would go a long way for drive to work better.

Minimal hours =/= a more productive work place. In the winter, when business is usually slower, the hours allocated to the apartment are cut severely. For some reason, expectations towards the quality of the department are expected to meet the same quality shown in the summer. This is not possible.

Maximum expectations are always expected of course, but mistakes will happen, unforeseeable events will happen. It'd be nice if this would be understood.

My Own Experience

Meat Clerk (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsKeeps you busy, learn a lot, decent pay raises, and decent benefits.

ConsDepending on the manager, can be quite hectic having to do so much, highly fluctuating hours and start times, and disorganized at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegular hours would be great. If you need people to work nights, hire people to work nights. Could save some headaches dealing with people who have worked 20+ years and think they deserve early shifts.

It was excellent

Bagger (Former Employee) Plymouth, MI

ProsSupervisors very open to suggestions.

ConsRun like a tight ship, which can also be positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the lowest pay grade person.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy, simple, boring.

Cashier (Former Employee) Woodhaven, MI

ProsTraining is very user friendly, freedom to set availabilty, request days off.

ConsWork is tedious and unchallenging, growth takes long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove employs around more! train in multiple departments please.

Ok job, but don't be surprised if you don't get any respect

Cashier (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDiscount on Kroger products
    Will work around school schedule
    Usually good co-workers

ConsMin. wage
    Customers can be jerks
    Not good work/life balance
    Not much choice in shifts especially if you're new

Solid place to work during high school or early college years.

Meat Clerk (Former Employee) Brownstown, MI

ProsFriendly management, not too stressful, opportunity for advancement, department transfers, friendly co-workers, good summer job or during class schedule, schedule around your commitments

Conslow pay, work nights and weekends, union dues, bi-weekly pay, unrealistic expectations at time from upper management to store level managers, occasional under-scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect with lower level employees and have more realistic expectations

It was an okay enviorment, but more like high school.

Kroger (Current Employee) Canton, MI

ProsThe best reason was because you got paid every week, you can't go wrong with that. I like the head supervisor she was really nice.

ConsThe work place was horrible, it was like high school even one of the supervisor would participate in gossip. If your not liked at krogers then most likely your going to do all the work.

Its not who you know its who you....

Co-Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThey have been doing business for 125+ years. They are fiscally sound company. They will continue to do business for a long time to come.

ConsVery hard to move up if you don't know anyone. Long hours and many 6 and 7 day work weeks. The union makes it difficult to get things done. Zero accountabilty for associate productivity.

cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) Macomb, MI

ProsExcellent benefits, good job for a part timer.

ConsWas not allowed to have a drink at my cashier station. Standing for a longtime eventually gives you a back ache.

Not so great..

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Novi, MI

ProsEasy to move up...sign job bids

ConsPretty much everything ... Just awful

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off people's back ....

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!