Kroger

2.9
1,829 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Too much work, too little pay

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Roseville, MI
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Roseville, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes you have great co-workers

Cons

If you're older than 18 you will have more duties such as maintaining the bottle machines.

Awful company with loads of power to abuse

Current Employee - Produce Manager Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Produce Manager Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

The only reason my pay and benefits are good is because i fall in an old tier of the contract.There are 6 tiers in the contract now and anyone hiring in today will hire in part time 100% of the time with no benefits, no insurance for 2 years if any. (courtesy clerks get nothing) paid time off max is now 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 personal holidays which is a joke if youve been there 5 or more years.full time non existant.

Cons

Be prepared to work like a dog and sweat like a pig when you stary work here. This is not a statement to defame the company. This is not and exaggeration or a joke in any way. Be prepared to see your check say 103 dollars and some change with no money to go to the dentist at the end of the day (even though youre suppose to smile at all the customers) employees are nothing here and even a rediculous complaint from a customer can cost you your job. Loyalty here means nothing so dont be fooled in thinking it does. In the end - it really doesnt.

Start treating your employees better and there wont be as many lawsuits slapped on you on a daily basis. You are no different than walmart in many ways. This is an awful place to work and its a borderline nightmare at times.i wouldnt recommend working for kroger to my enemies.

It's a great place to work.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Southgate, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Southgate, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are great; you feel like you're part of a family. The pay is not bad for part-time.

Cons

Any job in customer service or dealing with the public can be challenging. Sometimes you get cranky customers but it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for making it a great experience for employees and making us feel like a part of something.

Kroger is a good employer.

Former Employee - Night Stocker in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Night Stocker in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a larger company. The jobs are all very easy.

Cons

Unions hurt your advancement and pay.

Get rid of Union.

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Decent First Job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a Courtesy Clerk I was a front end employee and got to meet many people. The hours were flexible and minimum wage is minimum wage.

Cons

Taking off days was hard to do. In the winter I was outside for long periods of time, same for rainy weather.

Paying more than minimum wage is beneficial in the long run for both employees and employers.

This place will drain your soul until you are a shell of your former self

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Troy, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy training, no drug tests after inital one, management hierarchy is so stifling that no real changes are ever made, your life will slowly pass you by if you work here longer than 2 years(holler for eternal life), minimum wage, you can get by by acting busy, if you want a job in high school I recommend, otherwise steer clear

Cons

management hierarchy is so stifling that no real changes are ever made, forced entry into labor union, you can get by by acting busy (hardworker's nightmare), co-workers are all gossips

Your employees could actually give you good advice about how to make the workplace more efficient but management is mostly concerned with keeping a tight leash on employees due to high turnover.

Different from any other company.

Current Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best friends and people I have met, work with me. This company is not only helpful with working around your schedule, but if they know you are dependable and you work hard - they will give you more hours. Having a new store manager has given our store a new perspective. I couldn't be more thankful to have a place to work that allows me to work with my friends and move up in departments.

Cons

Sometimes my specific department is not given enough hours during the week and my hours could range anywhere from 12-36. Also, some people do not realize that just because they have been working for Kroger for a long time, doesn't mean that they don't have to work as hard as they did when they started there. If you cannot do the job, find somewhere else to work that can accommodate your age group.

Do not move co-managers around so frequently. Customer's get angry when they see a different manager that they haven't seen when they have been shopping for years.

Started out great

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Howell, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's mostly a good place to work, I'm in the pharmacy so we're pretty separated from the rest of the store and aren't generally part of all the drama, love the pharmacy manager and most of the other people I work with. 10% discount is pretty nice

Cons

Store managers are pretty much idiots. The other pharmacist is also an idiot who should definitely not be a pharmacist. Not a ton of benefits for someone with less than a few years experience. Technicians definitely do not make enough for the work they do

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff was for the most part friendly, They respected time off requests and were flexible for the most part with schedule changes, they had weeks in which there were games to keep store morale up

Cons

They only had to staff you for an average of 12 hours a week, so you could literally have a 24 hour week than an 8 hour week then 20 then 0, Managers were unprofessional, never got any praise for anything, you would not see the managers then they would surprise you with a test, it was hard to tell who to ask what.

praise your employees, it makes us strive to come to work.