Kroger

2.9
1,812 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bag Boy

Former Employee - Bag Boy in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Bag Boy in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good first time job.

Cons

Had to pay union dues.

Give raises to those that deserve it!

Manager's lackey

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk, Bagger in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk, Bagger in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers are nice when they hire you, two uniform shirts (and aprons if you work in bakery/deli) provided for free any others you must pay for. the people were nice in bakery and we had a cordial relationship.

Cons

-you will after three days on the floor be expected to close the bakery by yourself with no prior training on how to do so.
    -Manager/ Head of bakery will expect you to pick up their slack
    -They will give you a write-up and then yell at you on the sales floor (nice privacy isn't it)
    -After transferring upfront as a bagger and being told that i would get to be a cashier i never was trained for it
    -you were expected to get carts in half hour shifts that ended up being an hour or two, if you asked to come in out of the blazing heat or biting cold (like last winter up in indiana) they say "no, we need you on carts because the others are on break/we don't want our kickback baggers (mentally challenged individuals who were hired obviously for such a purpose) to get sick.
    -my favorite was that because kroger employees have a union they cant fire you but if they dont like you they will give you one or two 4 hour shifts in a whole week so your pay at minimum wage comes out to 45 dollars after taxes

STOP PLAYING FAVORITES!! also hiring those who aren't mentally competent just for kickbacks from the government is despicable!

Awful

Current Employee - Front End Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Front End Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers can become really close friends and are the only thing to look forward to coming in

Cons

pay, hours, management, don't care about your personal life and issues

Treat your employees better and give them raises and better pay

You would get treated better at guantanamo bay prison

Current Employee - Very Were in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Very Were in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

NONE 80% of the people are part time and come to work hungry and have NO health care I could not help all the people that needed help it bad when people steal your lunch.

Cons

Managers have NO people skills they lie cheat or what ever it take to look good department heads are not trained right and don't have any ideal how to use the hand held RF unit they don't what your input on how to make it better just get it up and out don't care about the customers just keep your head down and work be mean as you can to your coworkers. I cant even work now because of how bad I was treated at Kroger if there a Hell On earth its at Kroger

YOU get what you give out unhappy workers make very poor workers and people can only do so much one good worker cant do it all learn to be kind because one day you will find yourself were you don't what to be you have to earn the trust and respect of others and you need to be building your people up and not braking them down.

Thankfully I've moved on everyday.

Former Employee - Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

On your feet moving for 8 hours, kept me full of energy and in great shape.

Cons

Management has come and gone over the years. Many have taken out their frustrations on employees. most people don't care, and it's hard to when the company overlooks people who have been there for years. Eventually you give up on trying to move up, because it's very hard to ethically without devoting your life in an unhealthy way (see frustrated managers, that don't stick around).

The problem goes far and above management. Learn from companies that raise the bar instead of trying to be Wal-mart Jr.

Great high school job

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are very flexible with scheduling and your availability.

Cons

There seems to be a disconnect with management. They go with what corporate says but do not take advice from employees who are the ones carrying out the orders.

More communication with employees from higher management positions.

Current Employee - Meat Service/Lead Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Meat Service/Lead Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and department heads are friendly and helpful. Health benefits are okay (not great but okay).

Cons

Senior management, pay, hours, different programs/audits do monthly/daily are annoying. Some managers treat everyone as if they are idiots.

Stop these hi-5, osat, and key audits and let everyone do their jobs.

Being forced out

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the key employees have been around for up to 45 years. Very knowledgable and care about quality and customer service. High pay and good benefits for full time.

Cons

Company only hiring part-time employees to meet a ratio so they don't have pay health care. Full time employees not leaving fast enough so they are finding ways to remove them. Dirty management. Writing people up for being 1 min. late, suspensions without a probationary period. All geared at full time. Part time starts out at minimum, pays a $75 union fee and then monthly dues and get .5 every 6 months. No insurance. Company won't let anyone get over 30 hours. No advancement.

Your only as good as your people. We cannot be replaced that easy. $7.25 won't buy you the experience we have. Lose the Key Retailing. Empoyees hate it.

Decent First Time Job

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like the job security and flexibility toward schedules. My experience with them thus far has been a decent one and I feel appreciated as an employee by coworkers in management and customers.

Cons

If you're on your own, you will need a second job to make ends meet. Due to being Union, pay starts off at $7.25 an hour at part time.

Listen to the customers when certain products are not available that once were. Also, make advancing in the ranks more accessible for those that work hard and wish to advance.

None

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Kroger

Pros

It was my first job and i was a bagger. Obviously it was a very easy interview and quite casual

Cons

I was a bagger. The hours werent the best. dealing with dumb customers is not a fun thing to do.

Being a bagger is a good first job. The customer service reps who were my boss were on power trips and thought they were important