Kroger Reviews in Houston, TX

2.9
1,550 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 72 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 47 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ok

Former Employee - CSM  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CSM in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Moved up quick in the company. Started as a checker, went to CSM in a matter of about a year and a half. Pay was decent for a CSM.

Cons

Poor communication from the top down. Really depended on your story manager. Don't buy into the union, waste of money and keeps bad employees from getting fired.

Drop the union and raise compensation.

Toughest 4 years in my corporate life considering the fact that it is just Retail business for heavens sake.

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clique running the show and God help you if you are on the wrong end of the stick. Good Management introduction training. Compensation is fair but working hours negates the fairness.

Cons

Fair. You may find very progressive new generation managers but otherwise most stores are run by old school folks who are unforgiving and very rigid to new ideas. Red leaders.

NA

Good short time job..

Current Employee - Various Dspartments  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Various Dspartments in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Kroger has good benefits..even for part time. Diversity. Team/family enviroment.

Cons

I have seen a lot of people kiss butt to get ahead when others work hard and deserve it, but they don't advance because they wont kiss butt. Departments are shorthanded because they have to help the cashiers and baggers, taking time away from the departments.

Leaders lead by example. Give the front end more hours so the people from departments don't have to "surge". If customers cant get what they need in a department because that department is "surging" who cares how fast the checkout is. They still have to go to another store!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

blah

Former Employee - Cashier Office Staff  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier Office Staff in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

meet differnt people at the store

Cons

not enough money for employees

pay us more

No advancement opportunities. Nothing.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly recognized in the retail food industry. Nice customer and friendly co-workers. Supervisors will work with you to avoid scheduling conflicts.

Cons

Poor benefit options, few full-time openings and very low pay in comparison to stores like HEB or Target.

Too much work for not enough pay.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Equal Opportunity Employers
    Great for long term workers
    Good polices for conducting business

Cons

Don't invest in employees
    Ask for too much
    Pay is small as there is
    Nothing good for anyone less than manager

Checks on lesser and head managers should be a little more strict as far as managing employees (things like breaks and employee treatment). And for the love of anything that's merciful, could you people please consider giving a raise to the minimum wage employees instead of always the managers or higher since they do most of the hump busting.

Good place to work, not viable for long term

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor & Customer Service  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor & Customer Service in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekly pay, friendly coworkers and most often management, flexible schedules.

Cons

Managers at my store seemed to go through a revolving door, after a few months a new manager would come in and the former would be transferred to another store, this happened various times. Standing for long periods of time and having to deal with usual customer complaints.

BEWARNED: Stay Away from any Management Positions

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-Workers, employees, customers, vacations, salary and benefits are the only reason I'm still here after over numerous years with this company (although I am currently looking elsewhere).

Cons

As a store manager (or even a co-manager), do not expect to have a work-life balance. Even though the company preaches work/life, they put so much pressure on their management teams, that one either comes in on his/her "day off" or takes the degrading abuse, stress and humiliating remarks and pressure from upper management for not achieving the results, shrink numbers, OOSs, store conditions, etc., etc.. As a store manger of a store, everyone is held accountable, so if I am coming in on my day off, so are my co-managers. Expect unrealistic expectations and demands from your DM and visits from one of 8 or 9 district coordinators (not providing support, but to dump a laundry list of "to do's" and bad news on one of your departments). When it is time for your vacation, expect a visit from your DM the day before you go to make you feel guilty for leaving the store for a week, then expect a visit a day or two after you return to tell you how bad things are in your store.

Get realistic. Train your DMs to treat the store managers with respect. It's not just my district, it is the other districts as well. SM's talk to one another and this is not an isolated incident. Concentrate on training your upper management/DMs to live up to the companies values and beliefs. Stop the degrading remarks. We know we are compensated well, but we don't need to have that brought up as a condition of continued employment. We live in the 21st century, treat adults like you want to be treated.

A good experience overall.

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff and good people

Cons

Not enough staff which leads task not getting done.

If staff is efficient work and customer service will be sufficient.

Longtimer

Former Employee - SCO Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SCO Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary, great hours after you become full time. Great health care benefits

Cons

Major amount of favoristism. It is who you knew not what you knew. Rules never applied. (ie use of cell phones, )

Take care of your staff, acknowledge good employees. Sometimes staff knows more about day-to-day operations. Listen to them. They can bail you out of a tight spot, if you take the time to listen. Treat everyone equally

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!