Kroger

2.9
1,691 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Manager

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Orion, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Orion, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a 40 hour work week. You get to write your own schedule, you're a problem solver and have the power to fix and solve both employees and customers problems. You get to thank your staff for a job well done when hitting goals. You're the leader that everybody looks up to. A couple times a year Kroger takes you to a leadership summit with the corporate VPs giving a presentation of how the company is doing, free food, networking, and best practice meetings.

Cons

You deal with A LOT of incompetence. Sometimes you just want to say to some people, how can you even breathe?! But you're the boss so you have to remain cool, calm, and collective. You coach and clarify expectations on how to do something, you then tell them "what's the disconnect?" When they fail to follow instructions, and then you have to go through the disciplinary process and put them on paper when they continue to fail to follow instructions

some of the goals we are required to make are broken. I can create 90% 15 minute rating schedule, but then I am understaffed. I have to break the goal in order to be properly staffed

It's okay

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot at Kroger. They provide tons of training and you gain a lot of experience. It's filled with people that want you to succeed so people are slways willing to help you.

Cons

The long hours. As a CoManager you work 5 or 6 days a week. Lots of pressure. 10 hour days. No work/life balance.

Too much work, too little pay

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Roseville, MI
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Roseville, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes you have great co-workers

Cons

If you're older than 18 you will have more duties such as maintaining the bottle machines.

It's a great place to work.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Southgate, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Southgate, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great; you feel like you're part of a family. The pay is not bad for part-time.

Cons

Any job in customer service or dealing with the public can be challenging. Sometimes you get cranky customers but it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for making it a great experience for employees and making us feel like a part of something.

Kroger is a good employer.

Former Employee - Night Stocker in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Night Stocker in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a larger company. The jobs are all very easy.

Cons

Unions hurt your advancement and pay.

Get rid of Union.

Unhappiness

Former Employee - Cashier in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Flint, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits health care dental vision etc. Still couldn't afford the co-pays.

Cons

Have to have a very brown nose to advance.

Quit letting brown nosers run the stores.

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Decent First Job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a Courtesy Clerk I was a front end employee and got to meet many people. The hours were flexible and minimum wage is minimum wage.

Cons

Taking off days was hard to do. In the winter I was outside for long periods of time, same for rainy weather.

Paying more than minimum wage is beneficial in the long run for both employees and employers.

Not terrible, but decent pay gets you and makes it so you cant leave

Current Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Department head pay is pretty good once youve been there for a while, nice benefits. Some people you work with are great. It could be a pretty easy job if everyone gets along and nothing crazy happens.

Cons

Ive worked with horrible managers, horrible associates and horrible customers. There isnt a very good work to life balance esp when you have a family. It can be very hard and they ask a lot of you sending you home extremely stressed and tired and cranky. But you cant find a job with similar pay and health insurance anywhere else.

There store will survive if you loosen the reigns on everyone. Stop treating us like your slave dogs. If we die, you wont care youll just replace us and move on. Our families will miss us forever.

A good summer job

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Lansing, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's not a physically demanding job for most people. One gets to meet with a variety of different people and will often see someone he knows.

Cons

The training is short and there is a lot one has to learn on the fly. For those new to cashiering there may be a great deal of things that can stump you and force you to seek help from the more experienced workers a little to often while your customer is forced to wait as patiently as possible. If you really need the money, it can sometimes be hard to persuade them to give you more hours in a week (after all only a certain amount of people can work at a time.)