Kroger Reviews in Michigan

2.9
1,482 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Different from any other company.

Current Employee - Drug GM Clerk  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Drug GM Clerk in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best friends and people I have met, work with me. This company is not only helpful with working around your schedule, but if they know you are dependable and you work hard - they will give you more hours. Having a new store manager has given our store a new perspective. I couldn't be more thankful to have a place to work that allows me to work with my friends and move up in departments.

Cons

Sometimes my specific department is not given enough hours during the week and my hours could range anywhere from 12-36. Also, some people do not realize that just because they have been working for Kroger for a long time, doesn't mean that they don't have to work as hard as they did when they started there. If you cannot do the job, find somewhere else to work that can accommodate your age group.

Do not move co-managers around so frequently. Customer's get angry when they see a different manager that they haven't seen when they have been shopping for years.

Started out great

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Howell, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's mostly a good place to work, I'm in the pharmacy so we're pretty separated from the rest of the store and aren't generally part of all the drama, love the pharmacy manager and most of the other people I work with. 10% discount is pretty nice

Cons

Store managers are pretty much idiots. The other pharmacist is also an idiot who should definitely not be a pharmacist. Not a ton of benefits for someone with less than a few years experience. Technicians definitely do not make enough for the work they do

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier  in  Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff was for the most part friendly, They respected time off requests and were flexible for the most part with schedule changes, they had weeks in which there were games to keep store morale up

Cons

They only had to staff you for an average of 12 hours a week, so you could literally have a 24 hour week than an 8 hour week then 20 then 0, Managers were unprofessional, never got any praise for anything, you would not see the managers then they would surprise you with a test, it was hard to tell who to ask what.

praise your employees, it makes us strive to come to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked like a slave for minimum wage

Current Employee - Dairy Clerk  in  Macomb, MI
    Current Employee - Dairy Clerk in Macomb, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent Hours, I liked the people I worked with a lot. My boss was pretty cool and was always reasonable with time off.

Cons

- Paying for a union that does nothing for you.
    - Over worked
    - Dealing with lifers are depressing
    - Very slow pay raises

Treat your employees like people and not robots.

a pleasant experience if the store was located elsewhere.

Former Employee - Fuel Center Clerk  in  Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Fuel Center Clerk in Flint, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

20 cent raise a year, birthday gift cards, great company

Cons

they would be good if i hadent taken the job in the hood one. The employees pretty much bossed the bosses. No future for fuel employees the most u can go is 9.00 and thats max.

thank god your closing the store on pierson and clio in flint,mi i was robbed and threatened multiple times i even came back after the gun to my chest 4 months pregnant and the company helped me cope but the atmosphere was bad and most of the employees were apart of it.

Good because of customers and friends that come in Bad not enough help

Current Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool people, flexible scheduling, fun place to work

Cons

Not high pay, it really sucks, not enough help

If you see a employee thats working by his self help him or find someone in another department to help him.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk  in  Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Novi, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has great employee benefits if you work their long enough. Being a part time worker I did not have these but I gained a lot of experience in departments and how to handle people.

Cons

The hours were long and there was a good amount of physical labor.

None

It was ok

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people there are usually friendly, and you get two days off a week, which is fine. Overall not bad for a chain store.

Cons

the pay is awful, it use to be good but ever since the new contract you are working for very cheap

pay more

It's alright at first, but good work ethic is abused by management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milford, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the coworkers are fun to be around... benefits were good (more credit to the union than Kroger though.) Customers were fun, you see all types of people here.

Cons

$0.05 pay raises for 3 years starting at $7.65 - pay raises used to be decent until a new contract was passed. If you show an ounce of decent work ethic, jobs that aren't your's will be thrown at you by management. You will be managements targets if you're responsive to the environment and John Smith who throws 10 cases an hour will be completely ignored - so when something isn't completed, it's some how your fault. Try unloading a truck, stocking said truck, called to the front to cashier/bag and face products on 18 aisles all while providing friendly customer service to customers in 8 hours, sometimes alone - other times with John Smith. When that all doesn't get done, management throws a fit.

Rotate your managers. Certain people ingratiate themselves with the managers of a store and get special treatment - being called in on their day off to discuss what happened at the bar the previous night, discuss future nights out, etc. I had a manager there for 10+ years who constantly berated certain employees because a tight skirt didn't like them.

Cashier

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier  in  Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours
    worked with my school schedule
    good starter job

Cons

really based on seniority
    have to do some of the baggers work as well
    not much incentives

Take more care of the employees that interact with your customers on a daily basis

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!