Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,602 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 73 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 48 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Get experience if you need it and leave promptly.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can build customer service experience here in college (then leave to find a better "entry-level" position). Being a cashier here can improve your people skills. This job looks helpful or decent on a thin resume. After you're in the union (45 days), it is not easy to fire you. If you're in the right area you can work with some nice people. Some departments may be enjoyable (such as stock).

Cons

Kroger doesn't care about its employees. The union does nothing for people who actually do their job. Raises are strictly time based. Starting at minimum wage (new cashier or courtesy clerk), you get your first $0.10 cents raise at six months. After that your next raise is at a year. Praise is very scarce and little rules are often nitpicked (or encouraged to be by upper management). If you start as a courtesy clerk (bagger/cart boy) you have to beg for cashier, which would be fine if it functioned as a promotion but it sadly doesn't. After you're given cashier you get the next paygrade up in the union handbook (very likely ten cents). They can also make you a dual bagger/cashier. If you make supervisor you also get no raise. Vacation benefits and holiday pay are nonexistent until a significant amount of time at the company (over a year).

Management is also abused and disconnected from their associates. Due to this disconnection, middle management (supervisors and leads) runs the show and are often incompetent because the only credentials they have are that they've been there long enough to require being given their turn at lead or supervisor.

You need to stress competence and praise based raises to bring out the people that are excellent at their jobs. Working here is sadly a grind because you go nowhere unless you stay for a very, very long time. This especially clashes with modern culture when you employ mainly college students. Training is played fast and loose and seems to never be reviewed.

All and all a good place to work

I worked at Kroger

Pros

the kroger i worked at was very tight knit and they were very warm and welcoming. I liked it there

Cons

the insurance was good as a hourly but awful as a salaried employee.. I could not write my own schedule

Excellent

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Safe work environment with great benifits

Cons

Low startup salaries in the beginning.

Fulfilling

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility & benefits for part-time associates.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It's a great place to work.

Customer 1 Satisfaction

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kroger is the second leading grocery distributor under Walmart. Seeing that they only specialize primarily the distribution of food products, that is very impressive. A reason for this is because of their customer 1st orientation. Because the employees focus first on customers, the relationship between customers is mutually better. Obviously there are always angry customers, but the co-workers are all really nice.

Cons

It's good for experience and first jobs. The pay is a little lower than when working in a hospice pharmacy. It is hard to get a raise if you are part time.

Meh...

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Danville, IN
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Danville, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, descent benefits.

Cons

Only hire part time, hard to get full time. It's union so anyone who's been there longer than you has first grab at choice hours and hours in general regardless of they are incompetent.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity here. Huge company.

Cons

I have none at the moment

Great job for students

Current Employee - Night Cashier in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Night Cashier in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was very willing to work around my class schedule and would rotate holidays off so the same people were not always required to work holidays. Offers health insurance for part time workers.

Cons

Could not get full time status, number of hours per week varied, management shows favoritism, no real advancement in the company unless you are one of the favorites, pay is low compared to other supermarkets in the area.

Flexible Hours

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits: Tuition Reimbursement, 401K, Employee Stock, Union. People always need to eat therefore this market will always be available.

Cons

If you are in the Union, you can not automatically get a raise increase even if you deserve it.

Fight for your most valuable employees

Was a good place to work once upon a time

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Kroger full-time

Pros

Opportunities to advance. Meeting some good co workers and customers

Cons

Work/life balance is non existent no matter what they tell you

Live what you preach