Kroger Reviews

Reset
2.9
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Good benefits, flexible schedule (in 76 reviews)

• The pay is not bad for part-time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non existent no matter what they tell you (in 58 reviews)

• Fuel center workers are not eligible for any benefits or full time (in 98 reviews)

2,393 Employee Reviews

It

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

benefits, vacation days, great customers

Cons

unreasonable hours for managers and ridiculous schedules for part timers. low pay even for managers.

Advice to Management

need to hire more associates that have ambition to promote. make staying with kroger desirable.

2. Deli Clerk

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tomball, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tomball, TX

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Simple Job, Not too demanding. Benefits are available after 3 months

Cons

Long Hours, not many significant discounts

3. Cashier

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to meet a lot of people. A nice working environment.

Cons

Not all customers are nice. Not enough hours.

5. Secure but Weathered

Current Employee - Fuel Clerk in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Fuel Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours with a system to request time off online. Fuel team is small. Employee discounts and extra fuel points.

Cons

Unsteady computer systems. Crowded storage/receiving areas in the store. Small work spaces that are also crowded in the fuel center. Flooding at some of the older locations. Machines break down, or are broken by customers, all the time.

Started fine but then realized I do to much work for top little pay.

Current Employee - Assistant Dairy Manager in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Dairy Manager in Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best thing is you really feel like family here you feel accepted and respected and getting discounts really helps with groceries

Cons

Not very good management there some what lazy don't do much and have really bad attitudes most of the time Not alot of pay and lots of favoritism

Advice to Management

You me to pay your employees now then the would be more likely to stay and you would o

7. Meat apprentice

Former Employee - Meat Apprentice in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Meat Apprentice in College Station, TX

I worked at Kroger (More than a year)

Pros

Standard starting job with minimum wage and plenty of business to keep hours/ keep you busy.

Cons

Pay was low compared to competition, lots of promises to promote, but very few actually were promoted, some upper management was frustrating, seemed like little emphasis was placed on education (i.e. didn't feel like I was using my skills or intellect I gained from college classes)

8. explaination of issues to futhur assist in procedure and protocol

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Alexandria, LA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

Great environment and people to work for. Good benefit and as I did work part time through college, very understanding of schedule.

Cons

Didn't really train employees on jobs and duties or the effectiveness of keeping up with certain aspects of the job.

Advice to Management

Help the new employees understand the importance of keeping up with responsibility and aspect of being a cashier is where I had issues with one of the management that accused me of something to do with my till but never gave me a explanation after checking it after my shift.

All About Kroger!

Former Employee - Front End Cashier With College Degree
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier With College Degree

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great managers and coworkers.
    Great pay and benefits for industry.
    Fun times with coworkers.
    Selling great products with great marketing ideas.
    Promote from within.

Cons

Sometimes lose the personal touch toward employees by over identifying with "the customer is King approach".
    Also have lost touch with Kroger's original mission in days of founder Bernard Kroger, who himself did not work Sundays or holidays, but was at home with his family. He was not the founder of a "workaholic mission".. Back in his day, the 2 words did not belong in the same sentence. Family life and work life balance were important to him. Kroger managers and employees complain about no work life balance in on line employee review sites and both sides are at fault for doing nothing about the situation. Discuss work life balance in union meetings. Yes, it is nice that you "try " to help promote flexible schedule, but there is only so much you can do to pull your image out of the RED FLAG zone for work life balance problems. unless of course you finally catch on to Founding Fathers of USA and remember to just close Sundays and holidays. Otherwise employees , and managers, and corporate alike are all recruiting kids only and losing long term help who are family oriented people. They are then shuffling the seriousness of the problem under the rug. Get it out in the open and talk about it. Kroger is a great company otherwise.

Advice to Management

We need to set the example to other countries that yes we do care about families and work life balance, and yes we have these words in our vocabulary. Certainly, Bernard Kroger worked too hard to found a great company only to have people remember the money making part of his mission. He was also about caring about family and closed his stores Sundays and holidays. Kroger needs to try this old fashioned approach for a year and see that it will help them retain long term help and improve morale. Remember "Easy does it " always works and take care of your employees so they can serve the customer better. Do not promote stress, burn out and reduced creativity as well as workaholism a day longer, so you can succeed financially and in the employee morale area also.. Hire an HR Specialist in Employee Retention and Attrition. An HR Specialist can help you succeed in all areas and become the best in the industry. You already do a great job in other areas. Bernard Kroger may have been proud of the financial success, managers, and marketing ideas. We need to remember Founding Fathers of our country and that God wants to bless America. We need strong leadership now more than ever who will be part of the solution. Working together we can all succeed.

10. Overnight Stock Associate

Former Employee - Overnight Stock Associate in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Overnight Stock Associate in Normal, IL

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, union, discount on Kroger brand products, fun coworkers, easy task load if you stay focused. Overall good experience.

Cons

No management on overnight shifts which can feel unsafe at times. A lot of heavy lifting and other physical demands.

11. Review

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Friendly customers. Quick hiring process. Multiple positions within the store are usually available. Discount on Kroger brand products.

Cons

Schedules only released a week at a time, and usually on the weekend. Low starting wage. Expect to work most holidays.

Advice to Management

Create a better training program on the departmental level. More support for employees. Show more appreciation. Release schedule for two weeks at a time.

Showing 2,393 of 2,410 reviews