Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,511 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager  in  Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Athens, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

They'll work with your schedule if you're going to school or have a second job. There are advancements opportunities within the company. This is a union company, which is like job security. It's nearly impossible to get fired unless you steal, so please don't be stupid and steal anything. It's very easy to transfer to another store if you would like to, especially if you want to move to another city.
    I enjoyed most of the customers - you get to know a variety of people and eventually you'll have "regulars."

Cons

Management is hit or miss. Some managers are smart, efficient, and friendly. Others are completely incompetent jerks. I noticed more often than not that the more deserving employees do not get promotions, but the management's "favorites" get them instead.
    Training in the Starbucks kiosk was definitely lacking. Kroger has much lower standards than Starbucks, and it shows.
    Also, there always seemed to be drama between employees - all the time! I kept my distance from everyone except people in my department.

Keep moral high, Happy employees = happy customers.

A good summer job

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Lansing, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's not a physically demanding job for most people. One gets to meet with a variety of different people and will often see someone he knows.

Cons

The training is short and there is a lot one has to learn on the fly. For those new to cashiering there may be a great deal of things that can stump you and force you to seek help from the more experienced workers a little to often while your customer is forced to wait as patiently as possible. If you really need the money, it can sometimes be hard to persuade them to give you more hours in a week (after all only a certain amount of people can work at a time.)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grateful for employment!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Im able to meet new people. And build good relationships with some of the awewome co workers. We laugh and make the time go by faster.

Cons

Some of the Management has no clue on how to talk to its employees. They feel its ok to belittle you. And when you stand up for yourself they claim you have an attitude. Some of the store managers amaze me that they are even managers. They are clueless without fail when it comes to when we need help. "Whomp whomp." They know and love to bark at us but they dont know how to do simple things. Oh and they seem to not know how to follow your availability. And racist customers I would love to put them in their places lol

Learn how to be a help to the cashiers. And talk to the employees like we matter. We all play a part In helping Kroger be a successful company. Respect the associates and you will have a peaceful flow and

It's alright working here.

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

You are properly trained and forced to learn policies and regulations from every section of the store via a video and testing sequence. You'll be able to earn benefits and money back for school after working for the company for a certain amount of hours.

Cons

The pay is very low considering the hard work that most employees put in.

A nice store, but incredibly stressful job

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

A very active Union that keeps most things fair, raises based on hours worked, and overall Kroger has very nice people working there and is a much more upstanding enviornment than most grocery stores. I don't make use of the health care but it is a great offer for those who need it. Coworkers are all friendly and most of the managers are understanding. Training is a gradual process after initial information, which helped.

In cons I talk about how many coworkers are leaving, which leaves at least one thing - you can progress to higher places in your area from training. I could take up the offer to learn to bake in the mornings or decorate cakes, but I know the stress isn't worth the slightly higher paycheck.

If you put that you can't work certain days or times into the system, they will abide by that unless emergency strikes. I had no problem going to college and working at the same time.

Cons

Hours are incredibly inconsistent. I was hired for part time and while some weeks I'll get the more predictable 24 or 32 hours, sometimes it will be full time hours and even then I'll need to work overtime. Just last night I was there for eleven hours on a Wednesday because we're short staffed in the Bakery division. You have no idea what days you'll work or when, so don't bother having an outside life. Even when you put in days you need off ages from now, you have to badger your higher-ups to get it into the system.

The stress and the low pay is driving away our better employees, with one baker having already left, one coworker transfering to Starbucks, and our only other baker saying he wants to transfer to Meat. And despite being short staffed we're not given any more hours. Next door to us is the Deli division, which is renowned for being the worst place to work in the store with an extremely high turnover rate and they often drag us Bakery workers over there, one reason my coworker is leaving.

Due to the stress and how much they ask one person to do, especially the closer, it makes workers pessimistic. I'm told that I still care about how well I'm doing, which is actually an awful thing that keeps me there forever and I cannot complete everything they want me to in a shift. Even though I'm guarenteed breaks by the Union I haven't taken any in months because I don't have the time, and as such my health has really declined since I have no time to eat.

Used to be great, but too many things are changing

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They do work continuously on advancing their technology. You are paid well, but at what cost?! You're working while your family and friends are off. You can't even get a day off that hasn't been scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance.

Cons

They are on a quest to acquire so many new patients, that they are showing they value their customers and prospective customers more than their employees. Customers are always right, basically.

not what it used to be

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

benefits, stability, decent compensation, not life consuming.

Cons

not what it used to be, too driven by "numbers", not by people

Store Management

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay especially with bonus and stock options. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Long hours. Work life balance can be a challenge especially if you are placed at a store that operates with short handed in management.

Continue what you are doing the company is doing very well. Consider sharing some of the profits with your hourly associates as it is hard to keep people working when you start them at minimum wage.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Competitive benefits, decisions made with customer in mind, lots of initiatives internally going on for sustainability, social compliance and quality product.

Cons

Still have difficulty collaborating with silos, communication sometimes lacking, prohibitions aren't always easy unless you change departments which could mean shift in career.

Need better communication from top down with initiatives and sensitive topics like not getting a promotion.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!