Kroger

2.9
1,735 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible life experience all around

I worked at Kroger (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were not any pros about this company except job security if you want to be a no nothing pee on the rest of your life.

Cons

Where do I begin: horrible management, customers constantly complaining and in your face, lazy co-workers, pay that does not begin to equal the cost of living.

None.

Don't waste your time.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, bonuses, vacations and people.

Cons

I've been in management with Kroger for over 20 years in the SW KMA and don't know why I'm still wasting my years away, slaving for this unappreciative company. It's basically a six day work week in a pressure cooker, high stress, high and unrealistic expectations environment where you can plan on working 65-80 hours every week. If you are lucky enough to get a halfway intelligent co-manager, plan on him/her to be transferred away from your store once you've got him groomed to your standards. Store visits are often and are seldom positive. Even though you may have great store conditions and Metrics,Q, OOS, etc. scores, upper management is paid to point out the negatives and to make one feel less than adequate with their teams performance. One would think that after many successful years with this company the culture would change for the better, however, it's quite the opposite.

I have seen Kroger's upper management (district mgrs and higher) continue to make this a miserable place to work with the consistent unrealistic expectations and threats to ones career when things are not perfect. It's really sad for the young co-managers coming on board and the newly promoted store managers. They don't realize what a miserable career choice they have made by coming to work for this company.

Kroger promises 5 day work weeks, 50 hours/week schedules, but don't be fooled. Your work-life balance is lopsided to a work-work reality. Plan on working every weekend, holiday, nights, EARLY mornings and long days just to keep up with half of what they expect you to do to keep your head above water. Plan on reading your e-mails from home, as there is no "office time" in the stores. Kroger preaches "sales floor management" and with all the pressure, that's where you will be spending most of your time every day.

Beware, be warned, and be smart by staying away from any management roles with this company. Take it from a seasoned manager who wished they had made a smarter choice earlier on in life.

Life here is miserable....

In order to change the culture within a company, it has to start with the top. Many of you know it, but so many of those you've given the power to don't have a clue on how to lead and develop a team to succeed. Don't promote folks into upper management on the buddy system, rather promote folks on their professionalism and past, success performance. Promote leaders that know how to lead...

Horrible management

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Plano, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

off the top of my head? none, glad I got out of that place.

Cons

horrible management that does not communicate what so ever, with other managers or employees, disregards employee scheduling, forgets to work employees, and in my case the store stopped giving me hours along with others due to cut backs, resulted in not getting hours for 6 weeks straight, found another job in that time, continued to loom at schedule though, and eventually they stopped putting me on the schedule all together, I later found out that due to poor management they thought I had quit, when in reality I was begging for hours even talking to some of the lower managers in person at the store for hours.

Learn to communicate and manage your employees.

JUST OK

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

there where no pros to working here

Cons

low pay very few hours, not a place to build a carrer

Waste of Time and Effort

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely cheap insurance. Paid vacation and personal days after 1 year employment.

Cons

Everything else. Kroger is a joke and a waste of time for anyone over the age of 16! I got this job while I was in college with the hopes of helping me pay for a semester or two. The pay is so freaking low, I could barely survive and was always in the red each month!! You fight for hours. They'd rather higher 30 part time cashiers than 10 full time ones. Some weeks, you'd have 32 hours (still part time) and others, you'd have 16 or less. What grown person can survive on that? In addition, the Union is a piece of crap. I've seen people unjustly fired simply because they were close to retiring. Less money to have to pay out over a lifetime, right? Under my contract, I make a $0.05 raise every 6 months. That's $0.10 a years. I started out at $7.30. After 2.5 years, I make $7.55 an hour. I don't even take home $300 a week after taxes!! No wonder most employees are on food stamps.

This is for corporate. You've managed to buy hundreds of chains of stores, some of them even big ( like Harris Teeter). If you can pay out all of this money for acquisitions and mergers, don't you think you could afford a better pay for the people who make your company possible?

Avoid overnight shifts

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Hendersonville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Hendersonville, TN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a lot to mention:
    The pay - since I had previous experience, I got paid more than other plus I was also on overnights.

Cons

There are a number of cons working against the store:
    -No training whatsoever. The job isn't hard but with no guidance it makes things tougher.
    -No communication between day shift and night shift or management between staff
    -They work their supposed part timers full time hours
    -Management makes no effort to foster a sense of loyalty out of their employees.
    -No work/life balance. If you're on overnights say goodbye to your personal life. You won't have time to have one since you'll be either too tired to do anything or sleeping.

I would offer advice but I doubt they would even listen.

Great job for night owls

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Union benefits and great coworkers

Cons

Very physically demanding job, but other than that, there were no cons.

Merit raises

Possibly the worst job I have ever had, but I believe Kroger as a whole is not bad.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Cashier in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Cashier in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was given a lot of work hours

Cons

There was a ridiculous amount of immature work drama that management was also involved in . The manager directly above me was constantly sexually harassing me and some of the other women. When we complained to upper management, they refused to do anything about it and when I tried to give my two-weeks notice the manager refused to acknowledge that I was doing so and continued to schedule me past my final two-weeks. Would also schedule me during my school hours and the manager who was sexually harassing the women would schedule me to work until midnight alone with him despite the fact that cashiers go home at 9 or 10.

Are you a new co-manger (trainee)? You will hate your job I guarantee it.

Former Employee - Co Manager in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Co Manager in DFW, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Insurance if you manage to stay with them.
    Otherwise, none.

Cons

* If you look on the list of reviews here in Glassdoor you will see that more than half of the reviews made by "co managers" have 2 stars or less. What does that tell you?

** Co-manager has the highest turnover percent in the entire Kroger Co. It is above 50%. And there's good reason(s) why.

I did their training program called MD1 a few years back, and let me tell you something. It is absolute rubbish! I'll tell you everything you should know about Kroger's management program, how it works, the truth behind doors, and why you should steer clear.

*Be careful what you tell people. Not everyone who smiles at you is your friend. Gossip is all over Kroger.

On your first day, you will be lucky if the store manager is even aware of your new employment as a trainee at their store.. Other co managers of that store will know nothing about it. Who you are, why you're there, what to do...nothing. The store manager is supposed to be your "mentor manager", but don't expect him/her to have anything prepared for you that week working with him side by side. They will not want to make time for your questions.

The so called "core values" you hear about redundantly are never disclosed or discussed with the associates. The farthest they may go is to departmental heads. And do you even think the deli clerks, cashiers, produce clerks etc. would even care about that considering how little they're paid?

A few weeks into the program you will go to the regional office of your districts where you will sit for 10 hours a day listening to Kroger's plans of wishful thinking on how they're going perfect the business. They're goal is to have customer satisfaction levels for all stores to be a whopping 80% by sometime in 2015. Impossible. Most stores are lucky if they can hit 70%. Some are even below 60%. It's a fantasy world of perfection at the office.

When you return to your store, you'll have around 100-150 papers to organize and plan out all on your own how you're going to complete your tasks.The store manager will know nothing about what you just learned at the divisional office and what your assignments are.

Oh and they talk about surpassing Wal-Mart soon. Sure, Wal-Mart's net revenue for 2013 was over $16 billion. Kroger's was $1.5.

Kroger is in the Top 10 Lowest paying companies in America. Right there next to Wal-Mart.

You will get constructive criticism always, not compliments. You may have done something correct, but when it's reviewed by management they will look for the negatives in it.

You will have nearly 100 online lessons and you can't jump to the quiz at the end.

Your base pay will be $40k, but there is an overwhelming amount of stress and work to get it.

You will always work 6 days a week and overtime which means nothing when you're salaried, Don't count on holidays either.

There is extreme favoritism and prejudice in Kroger. If your manager doesn't like you for any reason, he will find a way with minutia to get rid of you. I was once written up for taking my tie off in a bakery assignment.

Promotion within the company is very limited. Kissing butt in upper management is how it's done.

So, like I've said above Kroger sucks. A co manager job is good for a person who started in their teens, knows people from all around the district and is pseudo friends with the store manager and district manager . This is no job for a recent college grad with a BBA or similar.

Be realistic on expectations for store employees. We are the driving force in the company.

Not a good place to work

I worked at Kroger

Pros

None not a good place to work.

Cons

The pay is atrocious and they might as well have a whip and hit you with it. This company expects way too much for 7.55 an hour. They will always torment you about speed and people in your line . If you are ill they do not care. They will never say anything positive to you , only that you could be doing more . You often feel your hands are tied because of the importance of not having a line so people who cheat for example, with coupons, know the checker is going as fast as possible and will not pay attention to the validity of the coupon. Also if you need to use the restroom, you are out of luck. They do not care about their employees and that explains the high turnover. You can work yourself so hard, clean things that are filthy and no one will say a word . But let them see you take a moment to breathe and they are all over it!!!!

When you have an employee who works very hard , who goes over and beyond... Get off of them. Don't tell someone who cleans to get cleaning. Don't tell someone you happen to see not moving for one second that they need to go more. Management at krogers for the most part sucks. They have no people skills and obviously do not consider their employees people. I have seen women cry who are overworked and feel they work so hard and are not acknowledged. It's interesting , the ones who scold you for slowing down for a moment, sit in a chair a good deal of the time. Not all management is bad , but most are running the employees off. Good job.