Kroger

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.0 1,390 reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers(in 65 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week(in 42 reviews)

• Barely hire any full time employees and use part timers as much as possible(in 73 reviews)

1,390 Employee Reviews

It's alright at first, but good work ethic is abused by management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milford, MI

ProsSome of the coworkers are fun to be around... benefits were good (more credit to the union than Kroger though.) Customers were fun, you see all types of people here.

Cons$0.05 pay raises for 3 years starting at $7.65 - pay raises used to be decent until a new contract was passed. If you show an ounce of decent work ethic, jobs that aren't your's will be thrown at you by management. You will be managements targets if you're responsive to the environment and John Smith who throws 10 cases an hour will be completely ignored - so when something isn't completed, it's some how your fault. Try unloading a truck, stocking said truck, called to the front to cashier/bag and face products on 18 aisles all while providing friendly customer service to customers in 8 hours, sometimes alone - other times with John Smith. When that all doesn't get done, management throws a fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate your managers. Certain people ingratiate themselves with the managers of a store and get special treatment - being called in on their day off to discuss what happened at the bar the previous night, discuss future nights out, etc. I had a manager there for 10+ years who constantly berated certain employees because a tight skirt didn't like them.

Horrible Horrible Horrible

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe only pro I see is the weekly pay.

ConsAt the Kroger I worked at, most of the co-workers were nice. The management on the other hand was horrible. As a part time employee they treat you like crap. They schedule you 9-10 days in a row without a day off, work you full time hours and more, and give you no benefits. When you ask for a day off because you are about to collapse from being overworked, they won't work with you and tell you to work or walk out the door. Also, the pay is a slap in the face. Start you out at minimum wage and work you like a slave for nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, your employees run your business. Without them, you cannot operate. Showing appreciation to them goes a long way. Also, the managers there are lazy and do not know how to run a cash register. Really? How can you expect to run a business if you do not know the job functions that you are managing. Good grief.

Typical low paying job

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNot a lot of responsibilities easy to get hired and weekly pay friendly co workers not sure about the transfer process though

ConsNo holiday pay, no overtime, extremely low pay, minimum raises, no room for advancement, customer service is excruciating and horrible employee discount

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more incentives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

complete failer, dirty store rude employees

Prostthere is no pros bad managment

Consneed an inspection from health dept.

Advice to Senior Managementdo your job and stop laying off all cashiers

hired for skills/experience, paid minimum wage

Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) Douglasville, GA

Prosclose to home/ minimum gas requirement, familiar with the store already(20 years shopper), low stress environment, discount on certain food items for the entire family

Cons1)lack of cohesion within store management ex: hiring manager wanted me paid for my skill, head manager denied it
    2)lack fo transparency in hiring process ex:I and others expressly wrote down we need full time work, but the truth is no new employee is fulltime
    3)they only want to pay minimum wage AND offer only 25-32 hrs/wk. Who can survive on that? mostly kids (and others who don't have to support themselves,like the handicapped) THUS,
    4)despite all the talk about how important customer service is, an employee had better ditch the cusomer and clock out on time, or else

Advice to Senior Managementd

Terrible Management.

Drug/GM Clerk (Former Employee) Willis, TX

ProsDecent hours. That's about it.

ConsManagement is awful. They won't listen to anything you say. They are completely unfair. It's an absolute mess. I do not suggest working here. Unfair management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and be fair with your employees.

Very low hourly wage for Administrative Assistants

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe only positive thing that can be said for this company is that they continue to have good profitability, management's healthcare benefits are good and they give a small annual bonus to employees.

ConsWage to workload is extremely unbalanced and not competitive, even for middle to lower management, not to mention floor associates.

Advice to Senior Management1) Review current Administrative Assistant role and responsibilities
    2) Redefine title/role/responsibilities (role currently performing as a single entity for HR/Payroll). At least redefine the role as HR/Payroll Administrator
    3) Create a job description that is aligned with responsibilities and keep it current
    4) DO NOT submit job description that is incorrect or severely outdated
    5) Develop salary ranges for position that can be shared with employee as a development tool.
    6) Ensure that each store HR/Payroll processes and procedures are applied the same way across the board instead of each store doing something differently.

Horrible

Cashier (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere's nothing positive of working here. Trust me.

ConsVery low pay! They pay to minimum wage. The only reason they don't pay you lower it's because the federal laws don't allow them to. I started working there when I was 16 and I got paid 5.25. The only reason I got a raise was because the Federal laws changed. The management treat you like crap, no discount, there's absolutely no perks of working here. This was my first job and it was the most horrible job experience I've had so far. I've had about 10 jobs after this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees more fairly.

Part Time Jobs Only!

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers in my store, that is the only plus I can think of!

ConsI was told that I would be full time, but after a couple weeks of that, the manager of my department cut my hours to part time saying that was what it was supposed to be all along. She was extremely difficult to work with, I told her the hours I was available and she would not listen. Horribly high turnover of staff, including the store manager!

Awful to employees

Part-Time Cashier (Current Employee) Shreveport, LA

ProsMaybe if you were a certain type of person(White for instance)? I don't know. I was treated very poorly by management in general and I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

ConsUnfair treatment by management. One person was able to switch their position during their training period, when I asked to switch as well they tried to intimidate me into leaving early and gave me no schedule when I left for the day. The store manager himself did not show his face the entire time and it felt like passive aggressive harassment in general. I did not verbally resign nor did I sign any termination papers but I did get the feeling that they did not want me to come back to the store.

I did file a complaint and am waiting to hear back from headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody is too busy to speak with an employee face to face. I didn't even get that courtesy and yet when I worked at one of the busiest Walmarts in North Carolina they always seemed to be able to find the time to address any concerns I had. Proper communication leaves a better impression on yourself and your store.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!