Kroger Reviews

2.9
2,075 Reviews
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

1. So desperate for employees, they had to pump me full of lies to get me to work there

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Garner, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Garner, NC

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get if YOU are also really desperate

Cons

Rude management, see below \/

Advice to Management

The HR and other people sitting working upstairs in the store office need to learn how to treat people with respect. They are rude and very smug, it's disgusting, acting like they're better than everyone else who works hard out on the floor.
    Also they are wasting company money conducting background checks, drug tests, and training hours for new hires, who will walk out pronto once they discover they were lied to about what wage they will really be getting (among other things such as hours, and advancement opportunity)

2. No set schedule for part time employees

Former Employee - Night Stocker in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Night Stocker in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are some pretty solid benefits and discounts for local businesses included on the HR webpage for employees. Only problem is that you have to be full time to receive such.

Cons

They started me off at 12 hours a week, then varied until I worked 40 hours a week just long enough that they wouldn't have to provide benefits. High turnover. No set schedule for part time employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees from time to time and take their questions, comments, concerns into consideration.

3. Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Port Clinton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Port Clinton, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nearby and like working with the public

Cons

New Employee - works late shift 90% of the time

Advice to Management

I was hired to be an Office Clerk but instead I am a Customer Service (Cashier) and not training of office work in sight

5. store manager

Current Employee - Software Division KMA Management in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Software Division KMA Management in DFW, TX

I have been working at Kroger (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Good employees, nice customers at times. Satisfing to improve others lives even if it seems like were running in circles

Cons

To many to list. I have been in store\cordinational management in DFW for many many years yet I constantly now more than ever find myself saying that I dont believe in our action or words more now. The Southwest Division is rampant with double speak, "opportunity" means low wage part timers, "advancement" means (more now than ever) who you know. We've lost our way and done so even while improving sales,none of which gets filtered back into the store. The metrics are given to you by someone who they themselves barely understand and has not much experience or education experience with current systems far better to solve the issues. In the rapid advance to beat the mighty Way Mart we have achieved a lot but its been lies after lies in daily communication,conferences,budgets,and forecasts. While financially very sound its obvious to anyone educated and with outside work experience that the ultimate goal is wage an labor cuts,lower overhead,impossible metrics(with less an less tools) and even worse Human Resouces dept that is inadequate at the very least to deal with real issues. God forbid we hire real HR professionals ( that cost too much,more than 36k after taxes) . This division needs to force retirement for many DM'S OP'S MGRS, and even some coordinators. Get rid of the gold watch 30 yr planners,pay them out now,not in 10 years after your expansions(despite your need to maximize sales) invest it in long term next gen of management and improve HR along with internal tech. The industry
     is not rocket science but your wage paid,(an no cutting stock programs or over inflated lump sum forecast pay outs will make up for the fact that you did the wrong steps at wrong time) excellent words but absolutely no follow through. Who's directing the show SW? NO one seems to lead,just follow follow follow....

Advice to Management

Invest heavily in internal inventory management NOT designed by Kroger. Get a clue,hire a good 3 party for your systems running from labor forecasts to invoicing(this isn't the 50s anymore an while vertical companies are great to save money...you can afford to invest one time)
    2- Hire outside HR . SPHR's etc those with years of reputible experience at least in Houston to direct this mess( no more absolute nepatisim its corroded all work envorments ,morale, and worse degraded titles an levels to the point where those cannot get anything done because they aren't taken seriously by employees because of it.
    3- dont drink the kool aid so fast,stock price is up because many are nearing retirement. If you would give the store director s more control on internal finances an options then you might get better results(but why give someone whose pay your slowly reducing more power? Simply put they'll feel better paying you even less because they're going to take more from you in the day to day control
    4- Be honest with our employees on all levels. Dont be coy about stores closing. Anyone educated knows certain shoes will drop after expansion. Its an operational cost issue. Nobody losses their job so why won't you be more communicating.
    Finally,get rid of a desired career path through management(get a clue Genera Office) that is grossly outdated,overburdened, financially wasteful and just plain archaic(once again it only makes sense from a numbers point,its not about your title its about what they're willing to pay and for how long,many mgrs waste their time to get internal certs for pennies,the carrots not big enough to fill the hunger you have after you've expended a lot of energy to get it...too much out for so little in return, both now and later

6. Front End Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Stanton, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Stanton, KY

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

It's not difficult, A trained monkey could do the job.

Cons

They pay is pathetic. After 12 years I make 9.90 an hour paying union dues on top of that. Kroger treats their employees like they are nothing.

Advice to Management

If you treated your employees better they would have more motivation to do a better job.

7. Culinary School experience? Don't waste your skills!

Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health insurance cost is low (although you won't be able to get coverage for your spouse). Usually, great co-workers. Easy job to master.

Cons

If you enjoy taking things out of the freezer and calling it "fresh", this is the job for you! Be ready to get instruction on how to do your job from someone who couldn't make their own sandwich without poisoning themselves. Management is vindictive and power-hungry, and seems to enjoy setting employees up to fail. Company loves to solve all of their financial issues by cutting payroll and demanding more work from the bare-bones staffing left behind. Beware: this job requires no culinary skills whatsoever. If you're still paying off culinary school student loans, this job might pay the bills, but it will suck the life out of your soul, while you spend most of your time squeezing bucket-frosting onto frozen cupcakes for 8 hours a day. Those beautiful pastries in the gourmet case? 90% of them are pre-made frozen items. Job comes with a supervisory title, but how much supervisory power you have will depend on how big of a control freak your higher ups are. And because the company often hires uneducated people in other positions, everyone is routinely treated as if they are stupid and unreliable.

Advice to Management

Trust the skills of the employees you have with a culinary education--everything out of a bag or box might be cheap, but it's not gourmet in any sense of the word. Perhaps higher ups need to spend more time actually working in the kitchens to understand how impossible their expectations are regarding payroll hours, shrink, etc. Consider actual training--I spent more than 12 hours doing online training, wasting my time learning how to use a box cutter and a ladder. Job-specific training should be managed by someone whose only job is to do so--I was sent to another store to train for 2 days (knowing it was supposed to be a week, but they opted out), where the chef in charge spent most of her time sending me to do busy work so she could work on her own, not bothering to teach me anything relevant. Then, when returning to my store, every manager had their own idea of what I "should" be doing, and none of it matched what I was taught at the other store. There is no singular authority to get final word, no reliable printed materials. This results in the pastry chef being blamed for every perceived mistake or alteration from each individual manager's idea of what should be done. Total chaos.

8. This was a terrible experience!

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, health insurance, union

Cons

Poor training, poor manager-employee communication

Advice to Management

Find better strategies to train new hires.

9. Horrible place to work for.

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Spring, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for working here

Cons

management does not follow the company guidelines and dont care about employees just care about the job getting done for 8.00 an hour.

Advice to Management

hire new management

10. Work not evenly distributed

I worked at Kroger

Pros

Meet great people, coworkers and customers

Cons

Everyone is not held at the same accountability, lack of help, management not understanding

Advice to Management

Be reasonable and actually help and communicate

11. Painful

Current Employee - Meat Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Meat Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pros would be that you can have a job

Cons

cons is working for this company all together

Advice to Management

get with the program