Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,550 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 72 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 47 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Just Awful

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros for this company

Cons

Rude managers, less than minimum wage/hour pay etc

Abysmal

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fast-paced environment with plenty of interaction with people.

Cons

Management does not communicate well and care little for their employees.

Focus on employee development and retention.

Unrealistic expectations for pay rates

Former Employee - Meat Clerk  in  Milan (Italy)
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Milan (Italy)

I worked at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

After being hired in, its easy to get in with the right people to gain over time. The uniform isn't bad at all, just a blue kroger shirt and jeans. Oh and they have a UNION! File file file!

Cons

All kroger grocery stores have departments ran by union contracts, however the store in whole is run by cooperate ideas... using logical reasoning will not help. Kroger start pay is minimum wage, no matter how hard anyone works and even with promotions. A raise isn't guaranteed. Department management are allowed to do little to no work, while passing work onto others in the department for less pay. Cooperate kroger would love to have only part time workers at minimum wage ( and management does everything thing they can to remove all full time dept employees) however with the union this is almost impossible.

Store management school needs to be redone entirely, sending new management to a store...with no clue as to how dept operate is kind of illogical. Listen to employees and find some humanity when talking to employees. Start paying attention to what dept heads are doing while on the clock

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy work but no money

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker  in  Wylie, TX
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Wylie, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job good for a High School kid be prepared to work lots of closing shifts like 2-10 and work every weekend.

Cons

The pay is not great. Everyone starts out Part time. You have to have 12 consective weeks to earn full time status. The only thing full time gets you is if new hires come aboard you still will get 40 hours part time hours will get cut.

a different view of Kroger

Former Employee - Head of Frozen  in  Blanchester, OH
    Former Employee - Head of Frozen in Blanchester, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people at Kroger do make the job political. They do that to be competitive. It is in reverse really as it makes Managements job easier.

Cons

Finances at Kroger are not as strong as they appear do to the magic of Accountants. They are unable to focus long-term and that make the job of employees more difficult. Look at the 2012 fourth quarter income statement and you will see the $850 million injection of money by the CEO David Dillion. It did not even make a profit!

Do not overspend on overhead of building new stores in the same location as the old ones.

Kroger is a company that is all about who you know

Current Employee - Grocery Department  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Department in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The health benefits are good.

Cons

Company values are just words, they don't go by them.

Learn to manage and not walk around the store and converse all day with a hand full of employees or sit in your office.

Could of been great but, turned out HORRIBLE!

Current Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Cleburne, TX
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Cleburne, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some managers and employees are very nice. Also alot of customers are very nice,

Cons

Babies the employees and managers that have been there for a while and treats newer employees like they are gum on the bottom of a shoe. It's really a shame.

Open your eyes to the nonsense that goes on everyday........ Start taking care of your hard workers and stop babying your faves.....

Hard work and bad hours for no money

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good company. Lots of work to do.

Cons

"Seniority power" so hours can be take away. no full time, LOW LOW WAGES! Too many teens work for this company so the work environment is a bit immature.. Some managers don't care and they date the cashiers

Be more considerate, pay more money, you get the work you pay for.

NIGHTMARE

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NO WORK LIFE BALANCE-TIRED ALL THE TIME- NOT APPRECIATED - CREATIVITY IS MUTED- MICROMANAGED---NEPOTISM!!!!!!

Cons

GOOD BENEFITS and customers...that's all

upper management does not cultivate their investments (co manager) as result there is high turnover. Training is a huge problem throughout this company. The treatment of the employees is unconscionable. There is much more that could be said but I believe you get the just of what is being said.

Waste of Time

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Jefferson, GA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Jefferson, GA

I have been working at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

None....other than today is my last day!!!

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE. Hours are HORRIBLE. Pay is HORRIBLE. The hiring process is HORRIBLE.

I began employment here for a part-time job for some extra "fun" money. Even thought they know I have a full-time job, they continuously try to get me to come in when I'm scheduled for my other job. They can't seem to remember that I have a full-time job with set hours and days, even though it is clearly marked in their computer for my "availability". I was even scheduled when I was out for surgery!!! They also schedule odd shifts like 12-7. Right through lunch and dinner, and of course no breaks because you are too busy...so those days I only get to eat once a day. I have only had one week-end day off since I started (about three months ago). Do not expect to have a "life" if you work here even part-time.

Pay is minimum wage. Minimum wage is ok for the easier jobs, but working in the Deli is not easy, especially if you are a closer. I feel they should give an extra few dollars to the Deli people (and probably others, but I'm not familiar with their positions, so I cannot truly say). I have had employees tell me they have been there for years and are still making what they started with.

Upper management is rude and uncaring. I have management experience myself, and I have never treated employees the way I have heard them treat co-workers. There are two store managers I really like, they always have a smile and something nice to say, but the MAIN manager and one other manager, they NEVER smile, and are very rude. The employees seem to be unhappy in general, and there is a high turn over rate there, but there is also a "core" of folks that have been there for a while, and they are truly the back-bone of the store. The Deli manager & Asst. manager are both very nice, and I enjoy working with them.

LISTEN to your employees when they speak with you. Do not act like you are better than they are, because you are NOT. Your employees are what your customers see. If you want happy customers, you need happy employees. Be consistent, treat everyone the same...be respectful and courteous. Think of your employees health and not just your profits. If your employees are out because they are sick...maybe it's because they are working days and days without eating because of how you schedule people. Remember, WAL-MART is coming! You are going to lose a lot of customers, as well as employees, if you do not get it together.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!