Kroger

2.9
1,913 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule that catered to my time as a student and weekly paychecks helped (in 76 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 58 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

Be careful with Kroger

I worked at Kroger

Pros

Great senior leadership. Fairly good work-life balance. Fairly good benefits when compared to the market. The company stock is doing very well.

Cons

Quite conservative and backward thinking. Little if any training for the corporate office, hence their leadership qualities are sorely lacking. They tend to cannibalize their mid-level management. They cut costs by letting people go in the stores and division offices while needlessly spending money at the corporate level. The fat cats in HR management are especially mind and soulless. Many folks without any higher education promoted to their level of incapacity.

Wake up and see what's going on around the world!

Totally not a job for an introvert (bagger, cleaner, forced smiller, clown, athlete,)

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kroger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

(I work for QFC)
    get to know when there are discounts and you can snatch them...
    one of the Front end supervisors is a joy to work with...
    Get a bus card
    Easy to call in sick
    I can restrict my available hours in a way I enjoy working because there is a lack in courtesy clerks so they will give me 40 hrs no matter what...

Cons

Horrible pay
    Forced to join a union(which is expensive and unnecessary)
    10% discount on kroger items.....(and some deli items)(which is not enough)
    broken checkstands/other things
    some front ends are awful to work with
    SEXISM (one FE gives me (a female) all the jobs while the males get to be lazy. I am constantly called in to bag while I am retrieving charts while the other male clerks never get called while they are doing charts) I am constantly forced to be bagging(it is physically uncomfortable and painful(due to my short stature and scoliosis) and although I have not told anyone I'm sure it would not make a difference)
    Only clerk in my entire time working here that has been made to clean the bathrooms...
    Being told the same thing over and over and over again when I was doing the right thing originally
    Did I mention HORRIBLE PAY
    Lazy, rude, ignorant coworkers
    Too strict of a dress code for what I do
    We only have paper bags and they are too tall, making them 1. hard to carry if you are short.. and 2. hard to bg because you have to lift up things higher (like 8 inches) to put them in the bag.. while if they where shorter we only would have to lift them 4 inches making bagging faster, short people happy and the bags able to carry more (becasue you don't fill them as much)
    sloped hills outside, carts not pushed back into their lines run into the road and into traffic....
    Also ... what training?

Listen to me, your courtesy clerks. I am smart. I see everything. I am the customer at the same time as being the worker, I can tell what they want.
    Can I have a raise instead of there being a new parking garage?

Mismanaged, poor employee relations, promises not kept, employees with chips on their shoulders, lazy fellow employees

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

weekly pay, disc on Kroger products

Cons

Work like a slave, low pay, Management doesn't care, Lazy employees, schedules done late, no control, everyone does what they want, lots of anxiety

Review management construction from top to bttm. Redo scheduling and set employees schedule for a month at a time. watch what employees do, Fire the lazy ones!

Oh I'm not an African female so I guess I'm not qualified

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're not a minority, good luck. Nothing else...................... American Indian, lol no such luck......................... Company is a joke.............

Cons

I'm not a African female ......... Good luck proving that you're Native American. That'll just be a joke to this country company

Whatever happened to equal opportunity?

Poor treatment of employees

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger

Pros

Most people were nice to work with

Cons

Poorly paid wanted you to go at a impossible pace. Poor communication with schedule would change your schedule without your knowledge and call you to tell you were late for a shift you know nothing about, Poor system for counting drawers plenty of room for error.

People are humans not robots it is inhuman to not allow even water to be consumed at the front, You stood in the sun from the windows and the baggers were sent outside to fetch and carry out groceries without being able to keep water and became dehydrated in the hot sun.

I worked at Kroger

Pros

No pros they horrible company never listen to your needs

Cons

Everything...pay,schedule,they don't treat you like a human just like a work machine

Their system is totally corrupted

Horrible place to work, you are on your own here.

Current Employee - Part-Time Cashier
    Current Employee - Part-Time Cashier

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

I cant think of any right now

Cons

There are customers who will literally scream at you. The managers will not take up for you even if the customer is clearly out of line. If a customer is stealing using coupons, and you read them as you were taught, THE MANAGERS WILL ALWAYS TELL YOU TO LET IT HAPPEN. They will let the customers do whatever they wish. They will not appreciate that you actually care about the store losing money. One manager in particular loves to yell at you in front of customers. This manager will lean in over your shoulder and tell you NOT to speak to anyone else but your customer, in front of the customer, then proceed to chat it up with other managers. They dont seem to grasp they were at Kroger. Their high horses are quite high. The managers, depending on where you work are ready with a put down or ready to hassle you but will never tell you "job well done" It just wont happen. There are clicks, and the managers act very much like children within these clicks. The managers will not hesitate to scold you in front of customers. Its sad really, they work at Kroger but seem to have quite the power trip going. They could work together with employees instead of enjoying delusions of grandeur. The pay is very low and cannot be lived on if you have bills. They expect a LOT for 7.55 too. If you are sick, you had best not go in to work. They do not care if you do not feel well, ever.

Terrible, Terrible Company. Which is a shame. It use to be amazing.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Might Recommend. Hard to think of any.

Cons

Terrible company. Would not recommend

Dear Kroger,

I have been with your company for over five years and I'm very disappointed in your work ethic. What use to be an amazing company is now turning into another Walmart. Your are running it into the ground. It is becoming obvious that you don't care about the hard working employees that make your salaries happen. If you cared about us we would not have had to almost strike at the last contract negotiation. Thanks, thanks a lot for nothing!

I only took this job because of the state of the economy. Outsourcing has caused many of the jobs I could do to be exported to other countries. Then Government Health Care came and made health care impossible to afford for the middle class. It is illegal, ill-moral and you'll be fined if you don't have any. What better way to control it than the IRS. Thanks to the 2008 economy collapse my education in Business Administrative became worthless. I was stuck to doing peon level work in retail. Work I hated ever since I stepped into it. I am very displeased with this company for many reasons. I try to have one positive for every negative but it's difficult with this company. I'll try my best:

CON'S:

1. I'm going to begin with GENDER-BIAS. Gender-bias should be a thing of the past but it isn't! It took me 3.5 years to become checker. Due to the fact that they were promoting new hire males within the first six months to checker. Only to quit three months later. I am over qualified for this job due to my education in Business Administrative. I never got asked to be checker. Management knew I was over qualified. I had to wait for one of the long term checkers to retire before it even happened. Even then they hesitated and waited a week to see if someone better would apply. "Better" I assume is a male. This is clearly GENDER-BIAS.

2. I will touch on HOURS/HEALTH CARE next. Thanks to government health care most of my employees are lucky to get 29.5 hour work weeks. Don't believe me? I could show you my schedule during the time frame our contract was under renewal. After the contract became apt, hours started retuning to normal. As I have seniority I get most of the hours. My fellow employees below me are lucky to get more than 30 hours a week. If it wasn't for the union Kroger would have made health care disappear.

3. INJURIES are not always reported. The company manipulates their numbers so they can have good standing. All major injuries get reported because they have to. Generally because employees can't perform their basic job functions. Most minor injuries don't get reported. I see employees get injured all the time and they don't report it. Due to the fear of paper work and scolding. I should know I'm the safety lead for our store.

4. PAY RAISES. I work in WA state where we have one of the highest minimum wages. I worked three sets of 1040 hours at the same rate of pay because of minimum wage. When I was due for a pay raise I found that they manipulated my accrued hours. I was not credited enough hours when I got promoted checker. Who manipulated them I don't know? I had to politely quarrel with my store manager/hr rep for six months. I gave up and contacted the union. They were no help at all. My mother works for another grocery outlet and they have the same contract. We started talking and found I had to call book keeping directly. My pay raise happened immediately. They credited me my back pay. It took me four months before I was told I had a check I needed to pick up. When I started getting close to journeyman they began to manipulate my hours. After a while they gave up because I would be there in no time at all.

5. UNDER STAFFED. Since the last contract negotiation we have lost a significant number of hours. I work at an "A" class store and we are given a skeleton crew nearly every day. I'm getting exhausted doing 3 jobs in 8 hours. Our FES doesn't do her job properly and I often have to step in for her. She scolds me when I try to do her job. (If she wasn't checking all the time. She'd be able to do her job.) We are lucky if we have more than three courtesy each day. We have 3.5 checkers (checker courtesy) and one is usually stuck running uscan. If we need more we call side departments. I'm sorry but this doesn't work. The union can be thanked for this.

6. CROSS-TRAINING. Since hours have been cut the company is cross-training more. I'm sorry but this doesn't work. We are becoming exhausted, tired and having more injuries. Or moral has become so low it's a struggle to come into work. Baggers should bag. Checkers should check and cleaners should clean. This cross-training isn't working.

7. U-SCAN. This is the most irritable position in the entire store. When u-scan came into stores it cut 40% of our checker hours. This is also the morning or closing checker. We are generally the only checker for the first four hours of our shift or last. We usually don't get a break. Rules: We can't leave the green-zone (uscan). We have to interact with customers that are usually grumpy and irritable. Three in five customers can't operate uscan because they don't listen to the instructions. They snap/scold you for trying to help them. I'm mildly disabled and require repetitiveness and find this offensive. They try make us pull customers through uscan. Well not all like uscan or can operate it. We get scolded for asking.

8. FLAKEY EMPLOYEES. Because of the union it is difficult to get flakey employees fired. I seriously work with 5-10 employees who get paid to walk around the store for 8 hours in circles. They can't get fired because of the union. Other employees do a half assed job and continue to get away with it. I end up pulling their work load. Nothing is being done. The work load ratio isn't evenly split. People wear them selves down and start to get injured because of this. Thanks alot union.

PRO'S

1. SENORITY. This is a plus and minus in it self. I have over five years with the company and can generally get good hours. However people below me are lucky to get 30 hours a week or more. It discourages them to make a career out of grocery because it takes them five years to get to journeyman pay.

2. CROSS-TRAINING. If it wasn't for cross-training I wouldn't have been promoted checker. I would have remained morning cleaner for ever and ever. This allowed me to work to journeyman pay quickly.

3. UNION. I am a hard working ethical employee and don't need the union. However when you have an issue such as pay raises it's helpful. However you're stuck in a loop hole of endless phone calls trying to get your issue solved.

4. SCHEDULING. If you have no restrictions set on your schedule you can generally get close to full time. Assumingly you don't care when you work. One restriction can severely reduce your hours.

5. GENDER-BIAS. If your a white Caucasian male you can go up the corporate ladder quickly. I'm Caucasian female and I'm beginning to notice gender-bias more and more when I apply for higher up jobs. They try to have an equal number of male and females employed to keep this some what hidden from the public.

6. NO SOCIAL LIFE. If you work retail you can kiss your social life good by. Your sifts will generally fall mid day or late at night. It's down right difficult to have a life. I'm single and young so this doesn't really affect me. You will have to work all major holidays. Like it or not. Kiss important family events good by. You'll have to struggle with your employer to give you those days off. Scheduling vacations are difficult as they moan and complain when you try and take one. I have barely had a social life since I started working for this company.

7. MATCHING 401K. One plus of this employer is you can start depositing into your 401k two years after employment. The company will deposit an equal amount. Once you hit the five year mark it is forever yours. It ads up if your long term.

8. Health insurance. Due to gov health care it is difficult to find jobs that give cheap affordable health insurance. Most of my coworkers moan when they find their $10 a month health insurance increased to $15 but they never had to buy a plan for themselves. We get full medical, dental and vision. If we do in-network providers they cover up to 100% of the bill. Out of network 70-80%.

Over all I would rate Kroger at a C+ at best. It is not the best employer. When QFC was owned by the original owner we were set for life. Kroger has muked up this company so badly that it's horrible. It's hard to work a job that no one likes. Especially when the customers don't view retail as a "real" career. If the economy wasn't in a state of a recession/depression I wouldn't even be here.

Sincerely,

Dissatisfied Employee

Terrible

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Fayetteville, GA
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Fayetteville, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job anyone can complete it deli clerk is okay if you don't mind rude customers and co workers and all

Cons

No room for advancement unless you wait years and the pay is terrible very little hours are given to you

L

Current Employee - Cashier in Dacula, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Dacula, GA

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Fun job nice people get moved up if you want to

Cons

Not paid much mean managers. Not nice at all with my experience

F