Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,524 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Pharmacy Tech Intern turned Employee

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Their are some really nice customers that make the job do-able .

Cons

Pay sucks , training there sucks . No one really trains , it's a guessing game .

Spend more time explaining the importance of training to workers with seniority to new employees.

Under paid for amount of work

Former Employee - Meat Clerk  in  Dallas, GA
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Dallas, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, part time benefits.

Cons

Having to stop everything you're trying to do and help a customer, working every holiday except Christmas.

Assistant department manager

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very easy work and great opportunity to grow and advance with the company. Return customers or "regulars" are friendly and make work not like work at all.

Cons

Not a company to stay with through retirement. Union is a joke and a waste of money. Benefits get axed during contract negotiations every three years more and more with nothing in return to the employee. I have found that even after months following me leaving the company, Kroger ended up going after multiple indivduals trying anything to fire them. Made those people's lives miserable until they eventually quit. Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30+ years of service... Just to save a few bucks on the bottom line. Disgusting, absurd, and repulsive way of treating your people that have been with you for years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful management.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Front End  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk/Front End in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I would meet and the occasional meals that they would serve us employees.

Cons

Extremely high turn over rate due to the fact that they are hiring minimum people at minimum wage. It was extremely difficult when we were understaffed because people would realize that they are getting paid next to nothing to do slave labor.

Give more raises and benefits

Ok for your first job. Dont make it a career.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Southfield, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Training, managers were helpful, some customers were friendly

Cons

minimum wage for too much work, rude customers, very stressful days, understaffed during mid day and closing, old/ worn out equipment

Give more hours so deli isn't understaffed

Great place to shop, poor place to work

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Wichita, KS

I worked at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is easy enough and most coworkers are friendly.

Cons

The pay is low, the hours inconsistent, and no benefits. The management treats you poorly and it's near impossible to get days off for personal matters.

Trust your employees. I understand there's a high turnover and that there are high schoolers that do need constant supervision, but there was also employees like me with over 10 years of retail experience that didn't need to be told constantly the obvious things that needed to be done.

Staff Pharmacist

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist/Assistant Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist/Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Kroger pays well for retail pharmacy, perhaps a slight hair above the average. They have a lot of good **ideas** that could help progress the profession.

Cons

Long hours, no scheduled lunches or breaks, a never-ending list of new "Key Retailing Best Practices" that micromanage everything you do down to use the Tab key on the keyboard vs. the mouse, increasing responsibilities with decreased tech and pharmacist hours... Kroger also has a knack for promoting less than qualified individuals to higher ranks (everything seems political or popularity based; not performance based).

I used to really enjoy working for Kroger. As time has gone on, I've become jaded and perhaps a bit cynical at the way corporate management hands down new policies and metrics without regards to their impact on our patients. Get your heads out of the clouds!

stressfull

Current Employee - Office Helper
    Current Employee - Office Helper

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

overall its a great experience in the first year or so I loved it and I loved the people there but as you grow with the company like I have there's really not a lot to brag about other than the relationships with people you make while working there.

Cons

through personal experience ive learned the management is not there to help you out and they like to play the favorite card a lot, I had a manager who was actually best friends with one of the backups at my old store and that back up could screw up over and over again and that manager always had her back and lead her to more career opportunities. its a very corrupt company.

management should never pick sides between employees or hangout with employees outside of work.

Regarding IT, not a horrible place to start out. Becomes boring for innovators or creators.

Former Employee - Software Developer/Analyst  in  Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer/Analyst in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time

Pros

There are some really nice people here and there throughout the company.

Lots of different technologies (albeit outdated) supporting many different areas of business, so there is a lot for an entry-level person to learn.

You might have the opportunity to bounce to another team every couple years if you're looking to learn something new.

It's a great place if you want to settle down, quit learning, and just ride out a job for the rest of your career.

The employee discount is nice.

I'd imagine this is a decent place to be a contractor at. No overtime depending on your contracting firm. Likely working on developing new applications.

The option to buy vacation time is really nice.

They give a lot to charity.

Cons

Management loves process and paperwork, having a process for everything. Management senses an issue with a project? Let's add in some process and paperwork. Need a 5 minute chat with someone from another team in IT? Just spend 15 min and fill out this form requesting their time. Needless to say, Kroger IT is in no way agile except for maybe 5% of their projects. However, every team will claim they're agile because they hold 45 min stand-ups every morning.

Terrible work-life balance. Management tends to over-promise to make themselves look good, often without listening to your feedback. This means forced overtime. Overtime that is in _addition_ to 24x7x365 support overtime; even if you're on a "rotation" you could be expected to be available at all times.

Most (not all) people are just riding out their careers (to be fair, likely burnt out due to the overtime, processes, and paperwork). They're done learning, done innovating, done caring, and, due to this, generally aren't great to work with if you have a dependency on them. You'd think managers would help in this area considering it's their job. They won't. They expect you to continue nagging the other teams' managers if you have a dependency on them.

Due to this, a majority of a developer's job can end up being nagging other teams to get things done. Managers reinforce this by basing your merit increases and promotions on this ability instead of technical ability, which is reflected in the quality of the applications. You'll see many (not all) higher level developers without a lick of technical competency. This is how. Kroger has lost many good developers over the past few years because of this.

Pay. Even after reading the above, the job might be worth it if you were paid a premium. Unfortunately the opposite is true. Also, negotiate for pay up front, because once they have you locked in you likely won't see a significant pay increase until you leave the company.

If you want to be the best IT organization in retail, then you need to attract the best IT people in retail. For that to work, you either need to jack your pay way up or make your IT organization a great place to work. I'd suggest the latter. As is, you absolutely will not keep top talent around for the long-term.

For the latter, you can start here:

- At least enforce some tenets of agile from the top down. I'm not suggesting you blindly start drinking every bit of agile kool-aid you can, but at least try to apply the tenets. "Individuals and interactions over processes and tools" comes to mind. Applied correctly, and with good people, agile can be a great thing.

- Focus on work-life balance. Stop promoting people into leadership that say things like, "I'm so proud of you for all the long hours you all put in for this project." Such statements should be more like, "We realized we were about to ruin several weeks of your lives so we extended the project deadline or eliminated some scope. Sorry for over-committing."

- Place more focus on technical competency.

- If you consistently hear complaints about a team being difficult to work with, then do something about it. Hire more people to help them out. Get rid of some of their dead weight. Do something.

Great job as a stepping stone for college graduates to functional management with the company.

I worked at Kroger for more than a year

Pros

Work with great, hard working people.

Cons

work life balance is terrible.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!