Kroger

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.0 1,404 reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights
1,404 Employee Reviews

Busy Southern Grocery Store

Cashier (Current Employee) Galveston, TX

ProsOne can get as many hours as wanted, good benefits, nice coworkers, nice managers, very busy store

ConsBreaks are not frequent ( less than the law requires) , training: on the job training, they say that they coach you: have yet to experience coaching session that lasted more than 5 minutes,

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the law on breaks. I am surprised that no one has reported this. Maybe it is because the employees do not know? Eight hour shift is entitle to 2 -15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch which off the clock. Lots of people break rules but. you all never see it?

Great for fresh out of high school young adults.

Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWeekly pay, Training was great, benefits if after 90 days, work with hours when they wanted too, great training.

Conshours, short breaks, rude mangers, catty co workers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, their opinions matter too.

Good company overall but Pharmacy operations were severely micromanaged by corporate management.

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Lilburn, GA

ProsKroger has great benefits for its employees. You got an employee discount on "store brand" items and extra fuel points on your Kroger card.

ConsI worked in the Pharmacy and although I really enjoyed the people I worked with, the poor lead Pharmacist was horribly micromanaged. I was part time and the hours we were given were very unpredictable because corporate managers told the Pharmacist how many hours she could give us based on some computer prediction of how heavy our customer load was expected to be. Never mind that our lead Pharmacist had been there for 20 years and knew better than anyone what the customer load would be like. BUSY! Every day of the year! There was not a single day that I would not categorize as being busy

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the store lead Pharmacist have more flexibility in scheduling work hours for the staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical Entry Level Job

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Allen, TX

ProsFriendly people, I worked at the front and cashiering/bagging is very straightforward - they offer incentives for getting faster at both and if you're good you can move up a little bit from bagger to cashier to self checkout to customer service.

ConsMinimum wage wasn't fun, they didn't respect my requests as far as hours or days, and I have a feeling that, because of the quick turnover rate of entry level jobs, the floor manager and store supervisor didn't trust young people. I tried to call in sick one day and they had me come in anyway with no promise of early ending despite my fever, lack of voice, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust listen to your people, my manager didn't even ask me why I was quitting until my last day. From that and my time there it didn't feel like they cared much. Other supervisors were great and I like that they expected a lot from me.

Courtesy clerk

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Covington, GA

ProsThey gave you great hours

ConsThe would try to make you work if your snowed in your house.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your employees

Great place to work, very stable career.

ProsEveryone has to eat, so the food retail industry can be very stable if you work for a solid performing company like Kroger. 10% Associate discount on Kroger Brand/Manufactured products. The company promotes from within so you are truly in control of your own career. The company has a solid set of core values that align with my own person set of values and they have successfully developed a Customer 1st strategy that helps guide business decisions.

ConsFor Management, work/life balance. Face time is important to many senior leaders, even with all the educating the company has done with generational differences, senior leaders cannot get over their own upbringing in the company and fall back on long work days/weeks to solve all problems. versus a work smart, not hard mentality. Compensation is average, Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer all pay management more.

I like working there

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Hamilton, OH

ProsSteady good work always get paid

Consnot to many except they change the retirement age

Advice to Senior Managementneed more experience

Pharmacy Tech

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsGreat coworkers to work with

Conspoor management only care about their schedules

Great first job for anyone

Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) Opelika, AL

ProsThe insurance benefits for full and part time employees are incredible. The work is consistent and the company is solid. If you are an hourly employee you work your schedule and are not expected to work anything beyond that unless you offer which there is always opportunity for.

ConsThe pay is minimum wage to start unless you have several years of grocery experience. If you are part time you will never really make more than minimum wage. If you are full time and in a non department head position the top out pay is not bad, however it will take you a few years to get there with no exception unless you have experience. Such a large company decisions are never made in store. Un realistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would change the raise scale for full and part time employees and make it based on quality of work and not just length of time in the company. Also give each store more control of things like payroll and decision making. I feel this would make for more realistic goals and efficiency.

Kroger treats their employees pretty well.

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Riverside, Montgomery, OH

ProsPaid time off (vacation and personal days for even part time employees), good chance of advancement, all managers listened well if you had any suggestions or complaints.

ConsManagers (for whole store and departments) might not stay for more than a year. Lots of high up rotation, although it isn't unheard of for a department manager to stay for years.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!