Kroll

Kroll Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014

Emanuele “Manny” A. Conti

Pros
  • Company brand, Culture, work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of interesting work and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Rudeness, arrogance, and throwing people under the bus are rewarded; hard work is not (in 4 reviews)

• I'd say senior management and culture / values are major red-flags in this particular office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very qualified and experienced professionals

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Kroll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not sure about in US, but at least in Asia, we have friendly working environment and very good health benefits. Flexible hours, as long as you get your work done.

Cons

Depends on the divisions you are working for, while in some division you can get off on time almost every day, in some divisions you will need to stay pretty late (even though it is not mandatory) to finish your work.

Better coordination and communication between divisions

Intern

I have been working at Kroll as an intern

Pros

They treated me like an associate and allowed me to really immerse myself in the work.
    People were real
    The pay was pretty solid

Cons

There can be alot of down time

Awesome paid intern program

I have been working at Kroll

Pros

Kroll's intern program pays $17/hour in DC, a city where many internships don't pay. The due diligence, research, and compliance work there is highly marketable, so useful when looking for full-time work elsewhere. You also get to use foreign language skills. They are also very adamant about full-time recruiting from interns.

Cons

The work-flow is very routine and client interaction is zero. That said, it's technically an intern program. Also, you are doing much of the same work as full employees but without the benefits-- a great learning experience, but you can't live on an internship.

Management of Kroll's DC intern program is fantastic. Some of the best managers I've ever had.

Like working for a factory on the assembly line

Former Employee - Public Record Researcher in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Public Record Researcher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Kroll as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Reputable company, interesting work, great on the resume

Cons

Compensation, because Kroll is in the transition to HireRight Inc platform it causes everyone to feel like you can be fired at anytime. The supervisors are not very helpful or even friendly. If you love micro-managed and never feeling appreciated for your hard-work and all the overtime you worked in any given day/week - then this is the place to seek out employment!

Pay more, get rid of the "management" that has been with the company for decades. Hire on the temp staff within a reasonable time frame or be honest with them so they can move on.

Very good.

Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Kroll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people working, a big group so you always have someone to relate too.

Cons

Sometimes makes you feel small, unneeded or wanted, and replaceable.

Hire from within; the ones you see huge potiential in, give them more responsibilities.

Too many hours.

I worked at Kroll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of interesting work and great people to work with. Never a dull moment.

Cons

Way too many hours expected. No life balance at all.

Remember employees have families. 70 hours in the office then more work at home each week is too much.

Intern

I worked at Kroll as an intern

Pros

Great company! good atmosphere! I worked in SF but I hear great things about the NY office as well. Interview is phone. I learned a lot especially in the field of law.

Cons

no jobs out of college. no cons other than that. i did very interesting work, sometimes the tasks were unusual, but definitely a great experience

Average internship experience

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Interned at the DC office in 2012. Enjoyed my experience there, under great management. Worked efficiently, gained some great professional research skills, and enjoyed the work. On top of that, the internship paid, which was a nice bonus being in DC. Overall, a great experience with great people.

Cons

Always was weird tension between DC and Reston offices. DC seemed to be more level-headed and doing a better job.

I loved my time and the people at Kroll.

I worked at Kroll full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow your career

Cons

Being owned by a Private Equity firm, decisions are not always made with the employees' best interest in mind.

Reston Office was a Nightmare

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Kroll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some smart people. Its hard to think of any other pros.

Cons

I don't know where to begin... This was an absolutely horrible experience. The corporate culture at this company is toxic and the environment is soul-crushing. Literally, no one speaks to each other at Kroll. When I began working at Kroll, no one introduced themselves to me or even attempted to make me feel welcome. During my time with the company, I got to know only 2 people on a personal level... I didn't know the names of any of my coworkers. Just so prospective analysts know what the job consists of, you will be running database checks all day every day and typing up monotonous reports. There is no personal interaction in this job whatsoever.

The analysts are expected to come in and power through reports at impossible rates. The directors expect you to complete around 12 hours of work in a 8.5 work day. The workload is impossible, and as you are struggling to complete your day's reports, you are constantly receiving new assignment emails and getting harassed for not invoicing all your previous reports and keeping your case database updated. The directors are kind and will listen to your complaints and your workload will lighten up for a week or so but then it will go right back to how it was before.

The editing process is beyond frustrating. There is a complete disconnect between the editing department and the directors who do the second edits for reports. The editors are constantly changing the wording in the reports, only for the directors to then change the report back to how it originally was. This was brought up in almost every team meeting I was a part of (team meetings take place maybe once every 6 weeks and they are completely pointless) but the problem was never resolved.

The turnover rate at the Reston office is incredibly high. Most analysts last no more than 1 year before they escape, and I saw many analysts leave Kroll without a backup job lined up.

There is a reason there are so many negative reviews of this company on this website. I advise any potential Kroll employee (at the Reston office) to take these into serious consideration before accepting a job offer.

I don't know if this company can be saved. Maybe completely rebuild from scratch and instill a MUCH BETTER corporate culture. Do something, anything, to make your employees happy.