Kronos Incorporated

Kronos Incorporated Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Kronos Incorporated Chief Executive Officer Aron J. Ain

Aron J. Ain

Pros
  • Kronos offers and promotes great work life balance whether you're in the office or not(in 27 reviews)

• As a solution consultant, I'm able to work from home a lot(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This used to be OK because of the excellent work/life balance in a bad economy, but now the(in 8 reviews)

• Some of the middle management within Engineering struggle with how to manage people(in 13 reviews)

Don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsGood commute for people in the area, but that's all.

ConsI had a truly horrible experience here. Highly political, no culture, bad management, frequent layoffs(usually in Dec, right before the holidays). Run by an investing company. You will be a number, the CEO will put on a front like he actually cares about employees, but just waiting to cash out.
    They are moving all development overseas, so if you are a developer, don't work here.
    This place has gotten real bad...stay away

Advice to Senior ManagementSell already

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

Prosgood work life balance. The work is satisfying.

ConsI cannot really think of much. There are cons everywhere, but i think Kronos is much better than the average. I don't exactly jump out of bed with excitement every morning to go to work, but I think I'm much happier here than I'd be at many other companies.

Best experience in over ten years of working at other top companies!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsTalented leaders. I have had a great deal of visibility with the leaders of the department. They make themselves available to listen to my ideas, provide feedback to improve my work, and give me ownership of projects. They trust me to do a great job, and it feels awesome!

ConsLong commute. I had never considered working an hour away from home until a friend and current employee shared how leaders and managers support flexibility and work/life balance. They turned a con into a pro, and helped me make it work!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with your enthusiasm and energetic leadership. It truly is inspiring!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kronos is run by investors who just want to squeeze a turnip

Engineer (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsYou will be able to step up to new duties and get them on your resume as people with the credentials to do those jobs flee like rats from a sinking ship

Consjudging from the droves of people who have once worked for them, and how they all collectively feel, you will suffer from years worth of therapy inducing ptsd, proportionate to the time you spent working for them and the level of responsibility you held.

Advice to Senior Managementnone, its too late.

Good at first, then .. Bad.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMost people at Kronos are not actively nasty, they are mostly reasonable most of the time.

The company comes off as "friendly" and "comfortable". New employees tend to like this.

ConsI think that at VP level, Kronos' average talent is less than that of their competition. I am not saying every VP is bad, but I've worked in Kronos' industry since the early 90s at several companies. I think the VP Average Talent Level at Kronos is less than market average.

The results of this are lack of coordination across areas of the company, slowly degrading quality of product, and slow reaction to new market conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and go to a smarter, more proactive, younger company with higher potential for future success. Kronos operates in markets with increasing commoditization and decreasing margins, and reacts slowly and grumpily to any type of change.

Was great and might be again some day.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsWhile it was privately held it was a great place to work. Still might be some day if Aron gets it back to private again.

ConsAfter it was sold to venture capital holders everything came down to how the business looked on paper. Long term upper salary employees were outsourced or replaced to lower the bottom line. People still there are worked twice as hard with little added compensations.

Working at Kronos was Hell

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsYou can learn everything Machiavelli knew, and then some, by working in this incredibly politicized, hostile, unpleasant environment. The best thing about this job was the severance pay after the layoffs.

ConsOld technology, old management style, and Old Boys' Network. This place is a resume stain. The only thing they DO do is Scrum/Agile, but they manage to turn it into drudgery. Six-to-eight-hour planning meetings -- one day out of a 10-day iteration, and three-hour retrospectives at the end of the iteration. There was nothing good to be found here. Your career will stagnate. Do not trust ANYONE. Women and minorities are tokens at best; the few women in upper management are powerless tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the trickle-down of blame onto the heads of those you manage. Learn what the real value of openness is (hint: NOT so you can get blackmail material).

This company has lost their moral compass

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

Prossemi autonomous employment and travel

Consgreedy, manipulative, out of touch with reality

Advice to Senior Managementchange your ways !

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsExposed to many parts of the company, doing much software work and development, learning much about the industry and being able to interact with clients, many benefits and the ability to work remotely

ConsTough to propose and implement a lot of changes given the structure of the company and its various departments. The resources are there, but facilitated and smooth communication to see it through between managers is not optimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe able to adapt and learn quickly with the latest technology.

The Leaders That Lost Their Way

Middle Management (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsKronos once held a solid and high-potential leadership position in a relevant and growing market. There is the potential to reclaim some of that Lost Success, but a massive and difficult cultural transformation would be necessary.

There are still some product niches in Kronos' product portfolio that have remained un commoditized and un-equalled by the competition. Bizarrely, they have received relatively little investment from Engineering, leaving them susceptible to attack from an observant and motivated competitor, like Workday.

Cons1. Entrenched Tribalism
    Kronos employees are not actively nasty to each other for the most part. But they tend to form culturally and operationally isolated tribes. This is survivable when things are going well overall - but revenue growth has stalled (see publicly reported data), and the private equity owners seem to be stuck with an asset that is going stale, with no interested buyers and an apparently wobbly position for a re-float back to the market (this is my personal opinion based on publicly observable and available information). In this more challenging context, tribes have started blaming each other, and becoming more defensive. Consequently, the ability of the company to meet its various challenges has been seriously degraded.
    2. Cloud (weak understanding of it)
    Kronos' response to their most important short term mission - to become competent as a cloud based solution provider - has been confused, clumsy, and late.
    3. Diversity (lack thereof)
    Kronos management is very largely one particular demographic, something that you would have seen and expected in corporations in the 1950s. There is serious under-representation of any other demographic in the management layers. This fosters a type of groupthink and resistance to change that I believe has killed or almost killed several other tech companies in the past.

Advice to Senior Management1. Do a demographic analysis of your workforce and your management layers. Consider what the data shows you.
    2. Really listen to your employees - the annual survey is considered by most to be an ineffective exercise because critical feedback and urgent cries for help are ignored every year
    3. Commission the type of customer focus group studies employed by the consumer goods industries - where customers talk honestly about you while an analytical third party observes and records. And then really consider what is said.

Worked for Kronos Incorporated? Contribute to the Community!