Kronos Incorporated Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
3.8

Kronos Incorporated Chief Executive Officer Aron J. Ain
Aron J. Ain

Pros
  • Kronos offers and promotes great work life balance whether you're in the office or not (in 27 reviews)

• As a solution consultant, I'm able to work from home a lot (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This used to be OK because of the excellent work/life balance in a bad economy, but now the (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the middle management within Engineering struggle with how to manage people (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Going downhill quickly

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment is very casual (people wear shorts to work in the summer). Telecommuting is allowed when needed. They are embracing new technology and are upgrading their UIs to Web 2.0 and adding a mobile channel.

Cons

The company was bought by a private equity firm in 2007. Things have gone steadily downhill since then. The bottom line is all that matters. Major initiatives are started and then abandoned after a short time. They have invested heavily in building engineering facilities in India and expect the moon from the "more expensive" engineers in the US. Layoffs are routine.

Enough with the layoffs. Give the employees a sense of security if you want them to be engaged.

A great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable industry leader with enviable track record of growth and profitability. Great products, focused investment, high customer satisfaction, strong (and steady) executive leadership promotes a culture of integrity and accountability, excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Mature company with experienced management and low turnover reduces opportunities to move up.

Stay the course.

Great Company but Career Ceiling for Senior Technical Leaders

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for Kronos in the Engineering Organization for almost 15 years. The following are positive aspects of working at Kronos:

- Recently, the Engineering Organization has been taking greater strides over the past couple of years in understanding the customer perspective when designing the product, both from a functional and performance perspective. There were times in the past where this was not the case in Engineering but I saw steady improvement in this area over the last couple of years of my tenure at Kronos.

- Kronos compensates employees who perform. During my time at Kronos, I would work long hours especially when it came to solving customer problems and I was awarded for that hard work from a financial perspective.

- The people who worked at Kronos were awesome, both from a technical and personal perspective. My leaving Kronos was purely a career decision. However, I would consider many of the people with whom I worked at Kronos to be friends versus just co-workers.

- The leadership at the top is sound. Aron Ain was one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did with Kronos because he was one of the only CEOs I knew where I always thought he was sincere in what he said. He also genuinely motivated employees to go the extra yard in making Kronos successful. He was also someone who was approachable and actually knew you by name. It is in big part his leadership that has made Kronos the "Billion Dollar" company it is today. In addition, the recently hired Chief Product Officer Jim Welch has been instrumental in establishing more of a customer focus within Engineering.

Cons

The following were some of the negative aspects of Kronos:

- From a career perspective, I felt as though there was no place to advance as my desire was to be a technical leader versus a manager of people. While I worked very hard and delivered much to Kronos, I was never seen as someone who could be promoted to the next level. After a while, that became an impediment that factored into my leaving Kronos so I could advance from a career perspective.

- During the last 5 years, there was more of a movement to take much of the Development work being done in Chelmsford and move it off-shore. With that movement came the dismissal of many great employees who made the product successful. This movement also resulted in some of the products suffering from a quality perspective due to the off-shore teams not coming up to speed quick enough to be independent, especially since senior resources in the US with domain knowledge were let go.

- Some of the middle management within Engineering struggle with how to manage people. I believe it is a case of taking technical resources and putting them into management roles so they can advance in their careers. I would advise more management training to help these resources become more effective.

- There is sometimes too much overhead and bureaucracy when going through a Development cycle. For each new Sprint, there were times where teams would meet for a full day to establish what work was to be done for the next three weeks. In some cases, there were more meetings than actual Development work.

The key advice I have is to provide more growth opportunities to key technical resources, especially those who have an established track record of success. While financial compensation is great, a ceiling is eventually established where the opportunities to lead a broader part of the architecture and technical direction just are not there and I do not know why that is the case.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment

Current Employee - Solution Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, true teamwork, strong training program. Every day brings new and challenging opportunities. Same product, but every customer configuration and staffing process is different so it keeps things fresh.
    HR and management team are respectful of all employees and really seem to care about each individual person. It's a very supportive environment.

Cons

Complex product takes a long time to master.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for listening and responding to our team's suggestions. Thanks for the Friday lunches and the free soda and water.

Re-invent yourself here

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Changing companies is always a risk. When faced with this choice over the last decade, I have only had to look around my midst at all of the creative and supportive people here at Kronos to realize that I can take a new job without ever leaving. I've had the support of my peers and management to redefine, invent and conquer new challenges by writing my own ticket. I don't know many companies that care enough to do that and stay in business - $1B - to be exact.

Cons

We tried that before, and it didn't work. Could be that we need to try it again, only this time, try harder, and don't under fund it.

Communication and decision making take too long. Good ideas may sit for awhile before they get picked up and sponsored. Courage is the best policy, go for it, and you'll be rewarded. Don't be fooled by the sacrifices of off-shoring.

Real Management issues, too much pride in 'self awesomeness'

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Self time management capability, friendly peers.

Cons

High turnover leading to lack of rich tenure pool. Bad leadership This is a software company which lacks service, not a service company that sells software, huge difference. The integration of it's acquired software companies is horrendous and everyone being silo'd to their own task means the client suffers from lack of total understanding and lack of ownership of product.

The training program was ridiculous. Here, figure it out, you should know and if you don't you will drown. Not to mention the lack of any solid processes.The tenured peers were nice but treated you like, "I went through hell so you need to too, this is how you'll learn, by totally ruining deployments in front of clients so they see you lack tenure, then once you come to realize how much you don't know, you'll study like you were back in college while traveling a ridiculous amount of hours (up to 75%)....and only then will you be a better person who garners the respect of the staff here.

The version documentation is sadly lacking. Don't take it at cover value, read into it and you will see. It's not for existing clients on past versions either, it's actually rebranded as new referencing expired methods. You will write more custom documentation for free than you ever planned on because of this. Since your time is billable, that as well as any help you need will drain you billable hours pool.

Clients suffer, you'll deploy what sales over promises and under sells, which is getting pretty typical these days as companies get more desperate for business. Discuss areas for internal improvement with management and you get the really messed up accounts that have traveled between 5 Project Managers before getting to you. Isn't anyone honest anymore with these sales?

Your clients will be responsible for training themselves and their own staff off of this old documentation and your very limited number of billable hours. Any failure in the project is traced back to you. You better document every single little thing that happens so you can always reference your facts. Every phone call, every detail of every email that you send to anyone, just like a lawyer and you'll do it for pennies.

Update documentation, more thorough training and leave your ears and doors open for constructive criticism from the team you are responsible for leading. You currently lack the ability to manage the staff you employ and by not choosing to allow and act on improvements internally, you will always have this high turnover. When staff talk openly about improvements, it's not a personal attack on you, its a cry for real need for change.

The more companies you acquire without understanding how their solutions fit into your total package you sell to clients, as if it already works wonders perfectly, the more clients will balloon out their implementations, causing a bottleneck of project flow amongst the staff. Coupled with high turnover, the new guys will never know what hit them and they will quit and get better paying jobs. When you are asked how do you measure success, don't look at your iPhone and respond to text messages during an interview. That is a huge red flag to anyone seeking employment. Don't bring your phone into an interview at all.

Generally good. It is a growing company with a positive culture and good people.

Current Employee - Solution Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a solution consultant, I'm able to work from home a lot. The work is interesting and not repetitive and management generally has treated me well.

Cons

With a large installed base and code base, innovation occurs but slowly.

Great company, great culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, dedicated to company success

Cons

Middle management can be weak

Listen to your best employees and their recommendations to ensure company future success -- especially in regard to mid-level management

Great company for any point in your career

I have been working at Kronos Incorporated

Pros

Kronos offers and promotes great work life balance whether you're in the office or not.

Diverse community with employees of different ages, career/education backgrounds.

Friendly environment, its not uncommon to see the CEO and have him say "hello".

Depending on manager opportunities to work remotely on occasion.

Global presence.

Cons

Challenging to find opportunities for growth within provided career.

Gap between compensation and job requirements/tasks.

Some benefit providers are not the most popular amongst employees.

Great until buyout

I worked at Kronos Incorporated full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people
    Pay was decent
    Benefits decent

Cons

Too political. Older workers forced out in droves. Someone should sure them!

Knock off the revolving door of engineers and treat people like people.

Kronos Incorporated Photos

Worked for Kronos Incorporated? Contribute to the Community!