Kum & Go Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.1

Kyle Krause

Customer service is our passion

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

Great People, and clean stores

Cons

Standing on feet for long hours

I would not recommend this company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Kum & Go part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did make some friends while working there and it was a job that came when I needed it. However, we also left at the same time.

Cons

Don't expect much unless you are hiring in as a manager. There were a lot of people that came in as Sales Associate expecting to move up to a manager position however most left before they could get it because it can take a long time. I had manager call-in and text in with 10 min till their shift starts. I even had a manager have a couple of no-call no-show and nothing happened to them. there are double standers between the Manager and the Sales Associate position.

As a female I felt belittled when upper management came. Mostly from the way they talked to the females and the males. It also didn't feel like they cared that much for anyone who wasn't a manager. I was just a Sales Associate and nothing more to them. I didn't like how I felt there.

Pleasant and caring

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic 90% of the time. If you have a good head on your shoulders and are a hard worker, it's easy to advance. The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first. Although it's a larger company, I actually met some of the CEO's a few times. Two of which remembered me, which was pretty cool, being in a smaller store. The store manager i worked for and the district manager (Clint) were seriously awesome.

Cons

Pay was not as good. In 2011 when I quit, the highest I was able to be paid as a sales manager was $9.25. I'm hopling they've raisedthat max since then. Vendors will sometimes leave messes in your coolers.. But if that's your biggest problem, as it was mine, your life is pretty much smooth sailing.

Don't lose your values. With the other chains growing just as quickly, it's easy. I don't have much to say other than that, this company is really pretty solid.

Stay away.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ames, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No one in the SSC (corporate office) cares who you are. District Supervisors never visit the stores. Store Managers get bonuses for retention so you can NEVER get fired! Feel free to grab some smokes or some beer as a bonus it is a-ok

Cons

You will work alone at night, there are no raises.

The management is clueless and does not know what is happening in the stores. Stay away! As long as I can easily grab free cigs and alcohol, I'll continue to work. If you every crack down no one will work here straight up because the pay is terrible!

It was a lot of work at a very fast pace.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ames, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offered insurance as well as had a 401K if you are a hard worker they also had plenty of opportunities for promotion.

Cons

The pay was not very high for below general manager positions for how much work was done. They overwork employees quite a bit and the management itself often lacks necessary training or skills required of the job.

Provide better training for all employees. Also raise the base pay as it is not very hard for how much is expected of employees.

Great

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Called me back a day after applied, manager was nice and easy to talk to.

Cons

Everything was prerty good,

Horrible place to work! Sales manager 4 years!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ankeny, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ankeny, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are the only pro to working here!!

Cons

I worked at K n go for over 4 years.. I worked over 60 hours a week at times and dedicated everything to becoming a GM! My co-workers and customers loved me and I knew my store better than anyone! They keep hiring dimwits from outside the company with NO RETAIL experience at all to be GM's! I finally quit when they expected me to change my schedule when I have been with the store longer than any of the other employee's!

Promote from within!! Time on job should play a big role! This company is going down the drain !

they will get sued!~

I worked at Kum & Go

Pros

great team , I mean us (pions) down at the bottom..

Cons

they are worse then hitler....I now know how the slaves felt

they are well aware of the petty theft that goes on d/t such poverty salaries....however how does 1 person get charges and NO others?? does it matter I'm a female and the last two employees that got fired for the same thing I did , did NOT get charges...mngr is a male..district manager's a male..hhhmm.
    Also, for those managers that think they can talk about personal stuff about an employee...to anyone...you're mistaken!

Too many changes

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Family owned company, pretty competitive compensation.

Cons

No chance for advancement once at GM level

Realize that the people running your stores have more knowledge about the business than outsiders from other non-gas station companies

sales manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the pay is decent, they are very profesional, care about their company.

Cons

i worked for a manager that took advantage of people liking over time and would have her assistants run the store and work 15+ hr shifts bc she didnt want to work her 54 a week. yeah the pay was good when payday came around but it was a everyday thing. so i quit if i was running a store making 20k a yr and she dont run it and makes 50+k a yr something is wrong! got put into the "pipeline" and was offered a store and after i took the test and applied for the possition the manager threw a fit and said that she wants to be able to find another assistant before i transfer....2 yrs later i was still a assistant! no good......not at all!

please dont take advantage of your employees....if you see they have potential to be something in this company let them move up and shine!