Kum & Go

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kyle Krause

sales manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Joplin, MO

Prosthe pay is decent, they are very profesional, care about their company.

Consi worked for a manager that took advantage of people liking over time and would have her assistants run the store and work 15+ hr shifts bc she didnt want to work her 54 a week. yeah the pay was good when payday came around but it was a everyday thing. so i quit if i was running a store making 20k a yr and she dont run it and makes 50+k a yr something is wrong! got put into the "pipeline" and was offered a store and after i took the test and applied for the possition the manager threw a fit and said that she wants to be able to find another assistant before i transfer....2 yrs later i was still a assistant! no good......not at all!

Advice to Senior Managementplease dont take advantage of your employees....if you see they have potential to be something in this company let them move up and shine!

Both micro-management and lack of oversight

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a number of regular customers that make the job fun.

ConsOur local manager doesn't work the required hours and takes off whenever they feel like it leaving the staff to fill in. Once they are out of the door we are not to call them and if we have to we are made to feel like we are doing something wrong. Can't take a day of if you are sick without getting a guilt trip. Some employees bully and intimidate other employees up to and including name calling and use of profanity but the general manger does not do anything about it. The managers have inappropriate relationships with employees in both in friendship and a romantic nature. The corporate "caring" does not extend to store staff, only to the corporate office. No paid time off no matter how long you work there unless you are the manager. No paid holidays unless you work it then only time and a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers should have some sort of professional training in HR and business practices. Some of the people promoted within may have a great work ethic as associates but they lack the leadership skills to build a cohesive staff. I am honestly surprised they haven't been sued for violations of employment law.

Out of touch with Employees

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Bentonville, AR

ProsGetting off work to look for a better job.

ConsDoing the impossible, the work of two or three is required because they don't want to spend money on labor hours. The pay is not competitive, unless you live in a third world country. District Managers are rude and have poor interpersonal skills, act like corporate robots with only one thing in mind, and that's MONEY!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach in your corporations core values. YOU say that CARING about your employees is important, but you don't show it in the real world. No benefits and poor wages for non management crew is abysmal. Unreasonable demands, goals that are unobtainable make this place a joke.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree pop and coffee if you work at the corporate office.

ConsOffice staff have to dress in suits and three piece outfits for a gas station??

Store employees are very underpaid and appreciated. Some are running a multi-million dollar store responsible for customer service, vendor management, putting away new inventory, shrink/shop lifting, cleaning the bathrooms on a Saturday night when a drunk customer vomits all over or a microwaves when a burrito explodes, dealing with police for gas drive offs, plus giving directions while making less than working at Mc Donald's when you have one job to perform. Little raises. No place to interview new employees. Extremely high turnover within the stores. Wearing a stained, skin tight white shirt with a shirt underneath but having a tie on does not make the company professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet corporate into the field to appreciate what they are going through more than a 4 hour shadow at a Des Moines store.

Great people to work with

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    West Des Moines, IA

ProsYou get a lot of responsibility and can work on projects that some people wouldn't get an opportunity to. Fun challenging work.

ConsA bit micromanaging and favoritism still a part of the culture. Everyone seems to be spread a bit too thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower and trust your employees. You have great people that work for you.

Excellent company

Springdale, AR

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, and upbeat atmosphere. You got to interact with persons from all backgrounds and lifestyles.

ConsLong hours on your feet, service job with service job connotations, cleaning up biological waste, and the potential threat of robbery.

Great career to those who have basic education.

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Bentonville, AR

ProsFirst I want to say I have more education than what is required for this position and my views may be slightly skewed. This company is great for those who have basic education, basic job skills, and/or lack of opportunities to advance in life. Due to my education and motivation, I moved up very quickly with this company. I most certainly can continue to advance, however I do not wish to relocate to the store support center in Iowa. The company is privately owned and therefore bonuses and contests are frequent. Health benefits including medical, dental, and visual are available to Sales Managers on up the management chain. There are also educational assistance programs and various other on the job training.

ConsThis is a very micromanaged company and I believe that is the way it needs to be for this industry. However, I do not like to micromanage and hence frustrated. The communication from associate to management strictly follows in a 'funnel' manner. Associates, Sales Managers, and Food Service can work up to 40 hours and overtime is rare. General Managers (salary) are required to work 54 hours a week. Official breaks (on and off the clock) are not given. No discounts are given towards fuel or store merchandise other than associate drinks for about 32 cents. The company does ask for as much as they can from their labor force.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good hard look at the day to day activities and expectation set at store level. There has been a lot of movement in the last year to help store level, but there is a lot more to go. Also, listen to what the stores have to say when testing a procedure change at store level.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

They strive to have the best customer satisfaction in the convenient and sure show it

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Greeley, CO

Proscontinuously improving to be the best. Just need to find the right people to be the best convenient store by 2021.

ConsBuilding structure in Legacy stores are not built well. Lack of training for all employees to be on the same page. Needs to have a better system.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all employee's are accountable for their actions, Set goals for both managers and train all employee's in meetings so everyone is on the same page.

Associate

Store Associate (Former Employee)
    Okmulgee, OK

ProsWorked well with my College and Reserve Hours

ConsNot Paid enough for the amount of work you could end up doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Terrible place to work with poor ethics and rude management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsNot very many at all, honestly can't think of any. It was not a fun job.

ConsThe store I worked at I worked alone, you do not get breaks which is illegal, management is very unprofessional and will be rude to you in front of customers, you are expected to do an unreasonable amount of work in an 8 hour period. $.30 for an "associate's drink?" Give me a break., fountain drinks should be free to employees for the amount of work we do. I am disabled, coworkers were rude to me about helping do things I was unable to do or had trouble doing. As an equal opportunity employer that is inappropriate. Overall, I was very unhappy working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse professionalism with both customers and employees, learn to listen to how others feel and react appropriately.

Worked for Kum & Go? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kum & Go reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kum & Go CEO Kyle Krause. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Kum & Go employees.