Kum & Go Reviews

Pleasant and caring

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO

I worked at Kum & Go full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic 90% of the time. If you have a good head on your shoulders and are a hard worker, it's easy to advance. The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first. Although it's a larger company, I actually met some of the CEO's a few times. Two of which remembered me, which was pretty cool, being in a smaller store. The store manager i worked for and the district manager (Clint) were seriously awesome.

Cons

Pay was not as good. In 2011 when I quit, the highest I was able to be paid as a sales manager was $9.25. I'm hopling they've raisedthat max since then. Vendors will sometimes leave messes in your coolers.. But if that's your biggest problem, as it was mine, your life is pretty much smooth sailing.

Don't lose your values. With the other chains growing just as quickly, it's easy. I don't have much to say other than that, this company is really pretty solid.

It was a lot of work at a very fast pace.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ames, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offered insurance as well as had a 401K if you are a hard worker they also had plenty of opportunities for promotion.

Cons

The pay was not very high for below general manager positions for how much work was done. They overwork employees quite a bit and the management itself often lacks necessary training or skills required of the job.

Provide better training for all employees. Also raise the base pay as it is not very hard for how much is expected of employees.

Great

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Called me back a day after applied, manager was nice and easy to talk to.

Cons

Everything was prerty good,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work! Sales manager 4 years!

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Ankeny, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ankeny, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customers are the only pro to working here!!

Cons

I worked at K n go for over 4 years.. I worked over 60 hours a week at times and dedicated everything to becoming a GM! My co-workers and customers loved me and I knew my store better than anyone! They keep hiring dimwits from outside the company with NO RETAIL experience at all to be GM's! I finally quit when they expected me to change my schedule when I have been with the store longer than any of the other employee's!

Promote from within!! Time on job should play a big role! This company is going down the drain !

Stay away!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are about 250 employees in the SSC (corporate office), plus 30 more district supervisors - but there are no africain-Americans, no Asian-Americans and only one Indian IT guy. It is an all white workforce. Additionally females that get hired all look good in tight clothes. The workforce is dominated by White Males much like successful work places in the 1950's.

Cons

There is no privacy, Senior Staff reads employee emails. The "great place to work" survey and 360 surveys are not confidential and carefully reviewed. The Leaders are always spying for Senior Staff and often use their phones to tape conversations.

There is no work-life balance, you will be on-call 24/7, and the only "family" that matters is the owner's family, no one else matters.

We all know the owner drives a Ferarri, has a private plane, and flaunts a private art collection. We know the Sr. Staff drinks expensive wine and goes on extravagant vacations that they call a strategic meeting SPS. I wish they would quit lying and admit the rest of us do not matter.

they will get sued!~

I worked at Kum & Go

Pros

great team , I mean us (pions) down at the bottom..

Cons

they are worse then hitler....I now know how the slaves felt

they are well aware of the petty theft that goes on d/t such poverty salaries....however how does 1 person get charges and NO others?? does it matter I'm a female and the last two employees that got fired for the same thing I did , did NOT get charges...mngr is a male..district manager's a male..hhhmm.
    Also, for those managers that think they can talk about personal stuff about an employee...to anyone...you're mistaken!

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Johnston, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time for more than a year

Pros

The manager is supposed to work 54 hours a week, but he does not like to work that much, so there is a manager around, so we don't have to do that much.

The pay s not great, but the inventory system is terrible, so most people grab a free carton of cigarettes, beer or a bottle of liquor a couple times a week as our bonus program, I hear this happens in most stores.

Cons

It can really boring and there are no raises. There is a salary matrix that is made by corporate, they are really cheap so you will always be working alone at night, I don't really like that.

There is a white haired SSC Executive that lives nearby. He always comes in drunk and buys beer. He always acts like a jerk and complains about the pizza and the food. He really thinks he is special. With management like that, I see why the company is having sales problems.

Save your time! This company is horrible!!

Former Employee - "Sales Manager"  in  Idaho Springs, CO
    Former Employee - "Sales Manager" in Idaho Springs, CO

I worked at Kum & Go full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was close to home........ that is all.

Cons

Everything else!
    I was hired as a sales manager. From day one it was obvious that this store was a mess. Virtually everyone who worked there was dirty, stinky, and uneducated to the point of idiocy. The manager hated her job so much she was quitting and moving to Alaska! I was fired for doing my job well and trying to bring some kind of order to the k** and Go madhouse. In my 5weeks on the job I witnessed theft, unsanitary food preparation, electric malfunction, improper training, and massive hostile work environment situations including when I was fired for telling an associate that "I am capable of giving directions, please focus on the customers at your register" though this employee, who quit and walked out in raving lunatic fashion over my ""outrageous rudeness""...? (I was her supervisor) retains her position!
    Just crazytown...they pay well but with the turn over (5 employees quit or fired out of 8 during my 5 weeks)
     Just a giant waste of time!! What a joke!

Get a grip!
    P.S the name of your company is considered "bad language" on this site...lol

Worst Company in Des Moines

Current Employee - Store Support Center  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Store Support Center in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are decent, but there is no discount for any products.

You may be given an allowance for a cell phone, but then Sr. Management will email at all hours of the day and expect PROMPT replies even in the evening, weekend or holidays. The company holds "keg parties" on one Fridays every month so everyone can uncomfortably stand around and management can make sure that no leaves early before 5 or 5:30, when we'd all really like to be somewhere else.

Fortunately EVERYONE in town knows this is a terrible place to work, therefore when you tell someone you work for KG, they will always feel sorry for you.

Cons

Despite the fact that the Sr. Management says they want to make it a "Great Place to Work" they don't even try. Sr Managers are given access to read their staff's emails, cameras are placed throughout the building "to provide security", but are used to carefully monitor staff in their work area, and it is well know there are certain "leaders" throughout the building that quickly share office gossip with the Sr. Managers.

It is a miserable place to work, especially with the frequent firings.

It is time to sell, it is well know there are negotiations in progress to sell out, get it done put us out of our misery.

Too many changes

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Family owned company, pretty competitive compensation.

Cons

No chance for advancement once at GM level

Realize that the people running your stores have more knowledge about the business than outsiders from other non-gas station companies

Worked for Kum & Go? Contribute to the Community!