Kum & Go Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
53 reviews filtered by
3.1
Kyle Krause

Pros
  • 401k, heatlh insurance, tution reimbusment if seeking a business degree, retention bonus after so many years) Company has good values and culture (in 4 reviews)

• The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • While a general manager trainee I worked alongside several GM's that were at the store from 4:30am to 3 and sometimes 4pm daily (in 4 reviews)

• The corporate "caring" does not extend to store staff, only to the corporate office (in 3 reviews)

1. Great atmosphere and people working hard together

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

Great company culture with some really great associates

Cons

Benefits have improved a lot, but could still be better for a company that wants to be outstanding.

2. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

This is the easiest and most fun job I have ever held. At my particular store we have more control and a lot of free reign. The customers are great. As long as you can keep your team inspired and smiling, getting everything done is the easiest thing. It's the spontaneous challenges that keep it interesting.

Cons

When you read "fast paced" in the job description, they meant it. As this company grows, new challenges arise and policy is ever changing. Many times, it's up to you to discover these changes. The communication you get depends on your RM and DM and how well they get info out.

More communication and transparency. Better articulation of the theory behind changes at the store level so we are completely clear on how new programs and policy is supposed to work with other facets of store operation. You have some intuitive geniuses working for you (seriously, it's like figuring out a Scooby Doo mystery sometimes with the cryptic discussions of roll outs of store operation tools that are supposed to make thing "better) that enjoy their jobs. I bet with a bit more clarity at the store level, we could do even better.
    Let us have more say at store level about products to carry for our specific demographic, we know our customers on a personal level. Most of management can even give you a run down of projected numbers right off the top of their head just from the daily customer inquiry.

3. Great opportunity!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, awesome managers, wonderful customers

Cons

Ability to get promoted was low.

Keep up the good work

5. Headquarters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They truly care for their employees. I can honestly say I have never worked for a company where I feel so truly appreciated for my time and work. Everyone is incredibly friendly, and the entire Senior Manager staff knows everyone by name. There are always events going on at headquarters including...monthly cake breaks, jeans day, fundraising activities, happy hours, catered events....there is ALWAYS something going on and it really makes you feel involved in the company. Also, everyone is wiling to help one another and everyone is so incredibly driven and hardworking!

Cons

Although I don't mind dressing business professional every day, jeans would be nice. Also, operations seem to overpower the rest of the company and leaves some of the important background departments in the shadows.

More focus on all departments of company.

6. Great company to work for and their future looks very bright!!

Former Employee - Store General Manager in Nevada, IA
    Former Employee - Store General Manager in Nevada, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great benefits, competative salaries, and flexable hours. Supervisors are some of the best people I have ever worked for. They are all very caring and patient and WANT you to succeed!

Cons

Hard to get promoted once you have made it to Store General Manager level because the DM's have all been there for a very long time and it's such a great place to work for that most supervisors end up staying for life...

7. Great people, great relationships, wonderful place to work.

Current Intern - IT Intern in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - IT Intern in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Small company, very team oriented. Care a lot about the work they do and the projects they do. Like to have fun in the workplace, lots of great ways to build relationships and share experiences.

Cons

Business professional dress, it's not the 1980's and there aren't any customers coming into the headquarters call it business casual and see the talent you get sky rocket.

Work on having individuals from different sections of a department, i.e. IT, give presentations within the department to teach on subject matter that isn't known to everyone. It helps people learn, helps people grow, and over all get a better idea of solutions in the future.

8. Customer service is our passion

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

Great People, and clean stores

Cons

Standing on feet for long hours

9. Pleasant and caring

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic 90% of the time. If you have a good head on your shoulders and are a hard worker, it's easy to advance. The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first. Although it's a larger company, I actually met some of the CEO's a few times. Two of which remembered me, which was pretty cool, being in a smaller store. The store manager i worked for and the district manager (Clint) were seriously awesome.

Cons

Pay was not as good. In 2011 when I quit, the highest I was able to be paid as a sales manager was $9.25. I'm hopling they've raisedthat max since then. Vendors will sometimes leave messes in your coolers.. But if that's your biggest problem, as it was mine, your life is pretty much smooth sailing.

Don't lose your values. With the other chains growing just as quickly, it's easy. I don't have much to say other than that, this company is really pretty solid.

10. Kim & Go

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bono, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bono, AR

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly people

Cons

Need more associates per shift

11. Kum & Go is good place to work

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Many fun activities and events - opportunities to move up within the company

Cons

Not everyone is happy with the corporate environment and therefore morale is sometimes low.

Appreciate your employees - not everyone is replaceable.