Kum & Go

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.8

Kyle Krause

Pros
  • 401k, heatlh insurance, tution reimbusment if seeking a business degree, retention bonus after so many years) Company has good values and culture (in 4 reviews)

• The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • While a general manager trainee I worked alongside several GM's that were at the store from 4:30am to 3 and sometimes 4pm daily (in 4 reviews)

• The corporate "caring" does not extend to store staff, only to the corporate office (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

This is the easiest and most fun job I have ever held. At my particular store we have more control and a lot of free reign. The customers are great. As long as you can keep your team inspired and smiling, getting everything done is the easiest thing. It's the spontaneous challenges that keep it interesting.

Cons

When you read "fast paced" in the job description, they meant it. As this company grows, new challenges arise and policy is ever changing. Many times, it's up to you to discover these changes. The communication you get depends on your RM and DM and how well they get info out.

More communication and transparency. Better articulation of the theory behind changes at the store level so we are completely clear on how new programs and policy is supposed to work with other facets of store operation. You have some intuitive geniuses working for you (seriously, it's like figuring out a Scooby Doo mystery sometimes with the cryptic discussions of roll outs of store operation tools that are supposed to make thing "better) that enjoy their jobs. I bet with a bit more clarity at the store level, we could do even better.
    Let us have more say at store level about products to carry for our specific demographic, we know our customers on a personal level. Most of management can even give you a run down of projected numbers right off the top of their head just from the daily customer inquiry.

Decent place to get started

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Parachute, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Parachute, CO

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since this company is a 24 hour store, you can find hours that fit in a family schedule

Cons

Some customers can be rather rude

When you see someone worthy of manegment, push for it. Don't sit and wait until they are gone

Great opportunity!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, awesome managers, wonderful customers

Cons

Ability to get promoted was low.

Keep up the good work

Headquarters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They truly care for their employees. I can honestly say I have never worked for a company where I feel so truly appreciated for my time and work. Everyone is incredibly friendly, and the entire Senior Manager staff knows everyone by name. There are always events going on at headquarters including...monthly cake breaks, jeans day, fundraising activities, happy hours, catered events....there is ALWAYS something going on and it really makes you feel involved in the company. Also, everyone is wiling to help one another and everyone is so incredibly driven and hardworking!

Cons

Although I don't mind dressing business professional every day, jeans would be nice. Also, operations seem to overpower the rest of the company and leaves some of the important background departments in the shadows.

More focus on all departments of company.

Great company to work for and their future looks very bright!!

Former Employee - Store General Manager in Nevada, IA
    Former Employee - Store General Manager in Nevada, IA

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great benefits, competative salaries, and flexable hours. Supervisors are some of the best people I have ever worked for. They are all very caring and patient and WANT you to succeed!

Cons

Hard to get promoted once you have made it to Store General Manager level because the DM's have all been there for a very long time and it's such a great place to work for that most supervisors end up staying for life...

Way underpaid!

Current Employee - Associate in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is always in the news, KG is building new corporate headquarters in Downtown Des Moines, the building will be built by a world class architect and cost the Company $92 million dollars

Cons

The new building cost so much they cannot afford to those of us in the stores that are cleaning bathrooms - we never get raises and I'm told our hours are getting cut so they do not need to pay healthcare!

We have always had the most expensive beer and cigarettes, now even our gas prices are 1 or 2 cents higher than everyone else, the management is very greedy.

I'm not sure this company can be fixed.

Great people, great relationships, wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - IT Intern in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Intern in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Small company, very team oriented. Care a lot about the work they do and the projects they do. Like to have fun in the workplace, lots of great ways to build relationships and share experiences.

Cons

Business professional dress, it's not the 1980's and there aren't any customers coming into the headquarters call it business casual and see the talent you get sky rocket.

Work on having individuals from different sections of a department, i.e. IT, give presentations within the department to teach on subject matter that isn't known to everyone. It helps people learn, helps people grow, and over all get a better idea of solutions in the future.

Customer service is our passion

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

Great People, and clean stores

Cons

Standing on feet for long hours

I would not recommend this company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Kum & Go part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did make some friends while working there and it was a job that came when I needed it. However, we also left at the same time.

Cons

Don't expect much unless you are hiring in as a manager. There were a lot of people that came in as Sales Associate expecting to move up to a manager position however most left before they could get it because it can take a long time. I had manager call-in and text in with 10 min till their shift starts. I even had a manager have a couple of no-call no-show and nothing happened to them. there are double standers between the Manager and the Sales Associate position.

As a female I felt belittled when upper management came. Mostly from the way they talked to the females and the males. It also didn't feel like they cared that much for anyone who wasn't a manager. I was just a Sales Associate and nothing more to them. I didn't like how I felt there.

Pleasant and caring

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Joplin, MO

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic 90% of the time. If you have a good head on your shoulders and are a hard worker, it's easy to advance. The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first. Although it's a larger company, I actually met some of the CEO's a few times. Two of which remembered me, which was pretty cool, being in a smaller store. The store manager i worked for and the district manager (Clint) were seriously awesome.

Cons

Pay was not as good. In 2011 when I quit, the highest I was able to be paid as a sales manager was $9.25. I'm hopling they've raisedthat max since then. Vendors will sometimes leave messes in your coolers.. But if that's your biggest problem, as it was mine, your life is pretty much smooth sailing.

Don't lose your values. With the other chains growing just as quickly, it's easy. I don't have much to say other than that, this company is really pretty solid.