Kum & Go Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
Kyle Krause

Pros
  • 401k, heatlh insurance, tution reimbusment if seeking a business degree, retention bonus after so many years) Company has good values and culture (in 4 reviews)

• The work is easy, lots of stocking, counting, and customer service always comes first (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • While a general manager trainee I worked alongside several GM's that were at the store from 4:30am to 3 and sometimes 4pm daily (in 4 reviews)

• The corporate "caring" does not extend to store staff, only to the corporate office (in 3 reviews)

1. fun working environment with friendly customers and easy-going employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers, good location, easy-going employees

Cons

Not much over time for part-time employees

2. Food Service Associate

I worked at Kum & Go part-time

Pros

None, honestly. This is probably the worst company ever. No values, no morals, nothing good. Recommended that everyone stays away.

Cons

Terrible management, only night shift does any real work. I had done the job of 3 people and then some, all because the day crew couldn't do a thing, not to mention all the managers were on day crew, I was completely overworked. More like 4 jobs in the time of one, with terrible pay. Another thing is, at least the district I was in, you had to sleep with your manager to get promoted. Not only that, but you will get fired if the GM doesn't like you, and if you call someone out on them not doing anything. On top of everything else, I had a work related injury (burned myself) and was expected back next day, workman's comp stuff didn't come until a month later and that was just documents, the actual workman's comp with the prescription card came even later.

Advice to Management

Get new managers who can do their job, and ones that aren't judgmental that fire someone just because they don't like them.

3. sales manager

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

The customers, other than that nothing.������������������������������������������������������������������

Cons

Not enough pay for amount of work, deameaning worthless bosses, care more about progit than the customer experience

Advice to Management

Care aboug your employees and recognize them for what they do and contribute to their store. Make it feel like a team, or work family so people will care about their job and how they do it

5. sales associate

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decently good rate of pay

Cons

horrible assistant managers and other employees

Advice to Management

hire better people for your employees

6. I've worked for K&G for little over a year now

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Kum & Go

Pros

Great hours, great pay, an ok staff, very active environment

Cons

Standing on feet for long hours. Though its nice to dress business formal everyday but wouldn't hurt to allow jeans or let us dress up in normal clothes for holidays because we at store level work very hard at jobs, getting promoted is hard because I've asked to learn everything from my general manager and still have yet to be promoted. Give sales associates and managers the same benefits.

Advice to Management

When you see an employee going the extra step by learning everything reward them some how. Like a pay raise, or hint hint a promotion so they can further their career

7. Unfair treatment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have the right people working in the store and enough help its a good place to work.

Cons

They could have better benefits for all their employees. they do not have enough help in all their stores at the peak hours when they are the busy. It would be nice if you were told when you have done a good job instead of being negative about what hasn't been done. Give other employees a chance at drifferent positions to see how they do and let them work drifferent shifts so they can see how their co-workers have to work..

Advice to Management

GIVE YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER WAGES! GIVE THEM PHRAISE WHEN THEY HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB. ITS DISSAPOINTING TO FIND OUT THAT YOU FAVOR OTHER STORES OVER OTHER ONES ESPECIALLY WHEN OTHER STORES DON'T HAVE AS MANY EMPLOYESS AND THEY ARE WORKING JUST AS HARD.

8. Not the best place.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Springdale, AR

I worked at Kum & Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't really have any pros about this job. I worked anywhere from 40-60 hours per week and did a lot of double shifts because management would never step in when people called in.

Cons

I was 18 when I started working here and I ended up staying for almost 2 years. Advancement takes awhile to happen if it happens at all. They don't pay fairly and the hours aren't the best. They don't enforce breaks so you mostly do without. I worked nights a lot which was 4-12 and from 10-12 I was there by myself almost every night even when I expressed how uncomfortable I was about it. They don't listen to employee concerns and upper management doesn't ever step in.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees rather than just your managers. Most of the time from my experience, the problems were the management team.

9. Great atmosphere and people working hard together

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

Great company culture with some really great associates

Cons

Benefits have improved a lot, but could still be better for a company that wants to be outstanding.

10. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Ll

I have been working at Kum & Go full-time

Pros

This is the easiest and most fun job I have ever held. At my particular store we have more control and a lot of free reign. The customers are great. As long as you can keep your team inspired and smiling, getting everything done is the easiest thing. It's the spontaneous challenges that keep it interesting.

Cons

When you read "fast paced" in the job description, they meant it. As this company grows, new challenges arise and policy is ever changing. Many times, it's up to you to discover these changes. The communication you get depends on your RM and DM and how well they get info out.

Advice to Management

More communication and transparency. Better articulation of the theory behind changes at the store level so we are completely clear on how new programs and policy is supposed to work with other facets of store operation. You have some intuitive geniuses working for you (seriously, it's like figuring out a Scooby Doo mystery sometimes with the cryptic discussions of roll outs of store operation tools that are supposed to make thing "better) that enjoy their jobs. I bet with a bit more clarity at the store level, we could do even better.
    Let us have more say at store level about products to carry for our specific demographic, we know our customers on a personal level. Most of management can even give you a run down of projected numbers right off the top of their head just from the daily customer inquiry.

11. Decent place to get started

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Parachute, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Parachute, CO

I have been working at Kum & Go part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since this company is a 24 hour store, you can find hours that fit in a family schedule

Cons

Some customers can be rather rude

Advice to Management

When you see someone worthy of manegment, push for it. Don't sit and wait until they are gone

Kum & Go Photos