Kumon North America Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Minoru Tanabe

Pros
  • Work with kids (can be a pro/con depending on the person) (in 21 reviews)

• It was a great part-time job to have as a college student, especially if you love working with kids (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage with no way to advance (in 16 reviews)

• The pay is low, lots of changes in managment, lack of communication from upper managment to lower level staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great to work for

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Kumon North America part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work. The kids are great. Get to see them grow. My boss is really cool, laid back, and ok with taking vacation days. Great for college students or people looking for some type of experience working in the education field.

Cons

Part-time only. Won't get benefits.

It was a great experience

I worked at Kumon North America

Pros

flexible hours, great kids and management was very accommodating

Cons

some parents we're open to changing their student's study habits.

Keep it going!

Great company :)

I worked at Kumon North America

Pros

Not to difficulty to get used to

Cons

Not much potential to move up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work if you are at a good center

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Kumon North America part-time for more than a year

Pros

Let me start by saying your experience can be drastically different depending on the center you work at. I've worked at two centers (both in the Northeast); one was a franchise center and one was a corporate center. The franchise center was a mess, but that is solely the fault of the owner/manager. Because it was a franchise, it was not checked on regularly and the owner had free reign. Unfortunately, the owner was not the most skilled at managing the center but, it was a fine after school job.

The other center I worked at was a corporate center, meaning it had a direct line to corporate and was checked on with much more frequent regularity. The job was served its purposes for what I was looking for: stable but part-time hours, OK pay (which increased over time and with performance), and somewhat engaging. Yes, some of the grading/data entry work can be incredibly monotonous and repetitive but just know that going in.

It's a great job if you need something part-time and stable hours. When you have the opportunity to work directly with the students, it can definitely be rewarding as well.

Cons

I don't necessarily agree with some of the Kumon teaching philosophies in that it doesn't account for students that need some sort of differentiated instruction (whether it be from behavioral issues, learning/processions issues, etc.). The Kumon method is very methodical and that just doesn't work for some students. Now, whether those students should even be enrolled in a program like Kumon is a different discussion. But I sometimes found myself wishing that I could work with students in a way that was slightly outside of the prescribed method. Also, I want to point out that this was much more of a concern at the corporate center since that was much more closely monitored by higher management. They went so far as to enforce rules like instructors were barely allowed to speak to the student (you could only point at the page), could never put your hands on the table, etc.

I also don't think that repetition of concepts is necessarily the best way for every child to learn. I often saw students memorize the worksheets after a while and then, when they reached the higher levels, couldn't understand the basics because they never truly mastered the earlier concepts. However, because of the repetition of the worksheets and their memorization, they were able to eventually pass the earlier levels.

Also, if you are looking to make a career in Kumon, there can potentially be ceiling you will hit for a while. There are few (two to be specific) management positions at each center and, at least where I was, there was not much turnover in management. However, it might be possible to move from a center to a corporate position (I never explored that possibility so I can't speak to that).

Lastly, I wish compensation was just slightly better, especially after being there for a fairly substantial amount of time and assuming increasingly more responsibility. I was at a successful center so even just a little bonus would have been nice.

Don't necessarily be such a stickler for ever tiny detail if it is in the best interest of that particular student. Obviously, there are larger guidelines and philosophies that need to be enforced but a little leniency in the minute details, if it will benefit the student, would have been helpful.

Other than that, none!

An opportunity which opened many doors in my life and experiences left a great satisfaction.

Former Employee - Kumon Math & Reading Tutor  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Kumon Math & Reading Tutor in El Paso, TX

I worked at Kumon North America part-time for more than a year

Pros

To be able to discover how to learn from a child as you are teaching them a new concept.

Cons

To challenge the student without making them feel overwhelmed and to find out the motivation needed by the student.

Have online training available for assistants or instructors who are not in or close to a big city and are not able to travel consequently.

Repetitive Grader

Current Employee - Grader  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Grader in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Kumon North America part-time for more than a year

Pros

It works very well with a schooling schedule. Most of the employees are undergrads, while others are graduate students waiting for admission into grad school. The hours are 3:30-around 8pm, which is convenient. Personally, my boss is kind and the environment is quite closed and comfortable

Cons

So boring. It's so repetitive, having to grade from start to finish. It's probably worse than office work. None of the kids want to be there, you can tell and they make it obvious. Add that with the same attitude from the employees and it creates a dull, dreadfully boring environment.

I worked as a center assistant for 9 years.

I worked at Kumon North America part-time

Pros

Part-time schedule good for students, getting to work with various ages

Cons

Not much growth opportunity, each center is owned by a different franchisee, franchisee may not take taxes out of check, so your personal taxes may be outrageous.

Decent experience

I worked at Kumon North America

Pros

Easy work, get to interact with students, especially kids.

Cons

Relatively low pay. Not very stimulating. Low job outlook

You don't get paid enough for the work you do.

Current Employee - Kumon Math & Reading Tutor  in  Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Kumon Math & Reading Tutor in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Kumon North America part-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids are usually very sweet and it's easy to work with them. The hours are short and you don't do much.

Cons

Some of the children are very difficult to work with and you have to be very patient. The hours are short so the pay isn't very much.

Rewarding but bad management

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Arlington, TX

I worked at Kumon North America part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and not too many hours. The time-off policies are wonderful; one can take a nice vacation provided they give the manager enough notice. Compensation is fair and employees are paid hourly. Seeing how the kids grow and improve their educational skills is the best part. They come so eager and ready to learn and they really do improve over time.

Cons

Training is inadequate. Managers fail to train employees enough and have unrealistic expectations. Whenever it came time for an inspection the boss would explain our new policies ten minutes before the inspectors came. To give an example we didn't even know we had a dress code until it was stated by an inspector.

I think that there should be mandatory training for both employees and managers. Overall a nice job.

Worked for Kumon North America? Contribute to the Community!