Kumon North America

www.kumon.com

Kumon North America Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Minoru Tanabe

Pros
  • Work with kids (can be a pro/con depending on the person)(in 21 reviews)

• It was a great part-time job to have as a college student, especially if you love working with kids(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage with no way to advance(in 16 reviews)

• The pay is low, lots of changes in managment, lack of communication from upper managment to lower level staff(in 5 reviews)

Great organization that cares about its clients and employees.

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Hockessin, DE

ProsIt's very rewarding when you are able to finally get through to a student who was having difficulty understanding something. The work is easy and the company is very organized.

ConsNot very many hours available. No chances for promotion.

Great part time job for college student.

Assistant (Former Employee) Roanoke, TX

ProsConsistent after-school hours and manageable responsibilities are great for a part time job. The office culture and employees are very friendly and inviting, willing to help and assist each other as needed. Observes school holidays.

ConsSome challenges include paperwork and documentation of children's work and communication with parents. Crowded classrooms decrease one on one communication and assisting of students.

worked part time as an instructor's assistant, it was convenient and simple as a student

Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

Prosgood hours for working as a student. nice to work with kids, a camaraderie develops between you, the kids, and the other assistants. non-stressful

Consfew hours to work, if you want to work more for more money. questionable if kumon really helps kids learn, other than teaching them discipline with its teaching method.

Advice to Senior Managementhave some meetings with the assistants to keep up with how we're working with the kids and how to manage or inspire them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great experience working with children.

Kumon Math & Reading Tutor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsRewarding feeling seeing children progress. Ideal for students trying to focus on school and also trying to make some spending money. Hours are flexible. Communication skills between yourself, students, and guardians are sharpened.

ConsNot much room for growth. Program runs on daily practice, this includes the holidays. Though the center does not open for major holidays, work is still assigned to children. All worksheets must be graded before the next class. Although working with the children of your community fills you with a rewarding feeling, pay is close to minimum wage. Sometimes making you wonder if all your hard work and heart invested is worth it. At times, you may feel overwhelmed as there is heavy pressure from management to grade many packets (our center started counting and comparing between graders, creating a more hostile working environment.) You then find yourself trying to balance grading, helping students, and preparing worksheets. I found that most other tutors started focusing solely on grading worksheets, ignoring students or sending them to other tutors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a healthy environment between workers of the center, and compensate workers who have brought growth to the center.

Tutoring Assistant

Tutoring Assistant (Former Employee) Mundelein, IL

ProsStarting pay was good. Owners very nice.

ConsThe ad I replied to said that I would be inputting grades into the computer and other office duties. It mentioned some grading of papers (figured this would be easy with Answer Books) and working with kids. I was looking for an office type position and this is why I applied. Did not know that I would be sent home with a HUGE packet of Math work to complete, especially being that I have not been in school for 14 years and I have no teaching background. No calculator could be used and I was not allowed to show the work on the paper, had to be done in my head. I felt like I was one of the students.

Boss did not tell me until the end of my first day that they pay once a month. I guess I should have asked this when offered the position since I can't afford to be paid once a month. I didn't ask because I have NEVER worked for a company that paid like this. Shame on me.

Work is VERY boring. I need to be kept busy. Not wandering around looking for something to do or sitting in the same position for 5 hours, without break.

I could not believe the clothes some of these HS girls wore. Not professional at all.

No background was run on me which I expected them to do since it was children I was working with. I think they should do backgrounds on ANYONE working with children. This tells me they don't care, just want to fill the position.

Bosses (married couple) ate lunch everyday which contained food that smelled bad. Why would someone heat up fish in the microwave? Anyway, they got to do this while no one is allowed to take a break and eat themselves. Being that we didn't start work til about 2pm, they should have ate before coming in.

No benefits.

No room for growth.

Worked between 2 locations but not compensated for travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I guess.

Your average high school job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with kids, Flexible hours

ConsVery boring
    Highly repetitive
    No growth opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good first job.

Grader (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLaid back and good first job

ConsFew hours so doesn't interfere with life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management

A good high school job (grader/instructor)

ProsGreat place to work, if you love kids

Conskids don't enjoy the extra work

Overall, a satisfying experience.

Kumon Learning Center Tutor (Former Employee)

ProsMaterials for students worked very well. I felt that the education model used by the company is effective at teaching and helping students retain their knowledge. Rewarding experience overall. Hours are predictable; good for someone looking for a simple job on the side, or students.

ConsExperience differs from center to center. One center I worked at was very streamlined, and I have virtually no complaints about it. However, the other center I worked at was very disorganized and work was often lost, leading to complaints from parents that were left with tutors to deal with, rather than management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a central management guide so that experiences don't vary so widely. More screening could be used in potential learning centers.

Learned a lot

ProsGreat for anyone who likes working with kids. Fellow tutors are also great to work with and fun.

ConsBoss was very specific in what she wanted and had high expectations.

Worked for Kumon North America? Contribute to the Community!