Kumon North America
www.kumon.com Teaneck, NJ 150 to 499 Employees

Kumon North America Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Minoru Tanabe

Pros:
  • "It was a great part-time job to have as a college student, especially if you love working with kids"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Work with kids (can be a pro/con depending on the person)"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no way to network or advance in this job, and the salary is close to minimum wage"
    in 15 reviews
  • "The pay is low, lots of changes in managment, lack of communication from upper managment to lower level staff"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a great experience working with children.

Kumon Math & Reading Tutor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsRewarding feeling seeing children progress. Ideal for students trying to focus on school and also trying to make some spending money. Hours are flexible. Communication skills between yourself, students, and guardians are sharpened.

ConsNot much room for growth. Program runs on daily practice, this includes the holidays. Though the center does not open for major holidays, work is still assigned to children. All worksheets must be graded before the next class. Although working with the children of your community fills you with a rewarding feeling, pay is close to minimum wage. Sometimes making you wonder if all your hard work and heart invested is worth it. At times, you may feel overwhelmed as there is heavy pressure from management to grade many packets (our center started counting and comparing between graders, creating a more hostile working environment.) You then find yourself trying to balance grading, helping students, and preparing worksheets. I found that most other tutors started focusing solely on grading worksheets, ignoring students or sending them to other tutors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a healthy environment between workers of the center, and compensate workers who have brought growth to the center.

A good high school job (grader/instructor)

ProsGreat place to work, if you love kids

Conskids don't enjoy the extra work

Good first job.

Grader (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLaid back and good first job

ConsFew hours so doesn't interfere with life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your average high school job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with kids, Flexible hours

ConsVery boring
    Highly repetitive
    No growth opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great experience for people in the teaching field

ProsPlenty of interactions with students. Helps you learn how to think in different perspectives .

ConsHours for working in the specific time was not that flexible

Working at a Retail Location

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)
    Spotswood, NJ

ProsYou get the opportunity to help students achieve higher learning ability. Some students came in a with low grades from school and having the opportunity help them learn and improve their education, makes you feel good about yourself.

ConsFor the amount of work you do on a daily basis during normal hours and after hours, you were not fairly compensated for all the struggle.

Repetitive Job

Math Tutor (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsYou get to help kids learn math and english. Money is always good too. You feel good about yourself after a hard days of work.

ConsRepetitive and can get boring. Any small talk is discouraged which leads to a dead silent environment and there is not much fun in learning silently...

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more interaction between students and tutors. Give better raises.

Learned a lot

ProsGreat for anyone who likes working with kids. Fellow tutors are also great to work with and fun.

ConsBoss was very specific in what she wanted and had high expectations.

A perspective from the bottom

Assistant Instructor (Former Employee)
    Albertson, NY

ProsI found that it was really gratifying to see little kids learn. You also have the opportunity to be creative with how you teach kids. The owners I worked for were very supportive, and always found ways to help fix our mistakes rather than penalize us for them. They were open to suggestions on how to improve and really valued their employees.

ConsLots of strict corporate rules and guidelines. These things are a disservice to goal of the company. There's a 20 second rule, where if a child raises his/her hand, we only have 20 seconds to address them or send them to the head instructor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is for corporate only. The owners of the franchise I worked for had a lot of experience and dedication to helping kids learn. Your frivolous guidelines hinder that. I think it's a shame that we had to change carpeting and move the tables because our rep didn't feel they met certain standards. I was there for a year and we had to change the layout of the classroom three times.

Good place to work for college students hoping to earn some money on the side and still focus on studies.

Grader (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe work is not very hard physically or emotionally. The time commitment varies between places but they shouldn't be too long per day and not much commitment at all per week.

ConsThere isn't much room for advancement or any real benefit to speak of. The work while not too hard still requires heavy focus for a long period of time without breaks.

Worked for Kumon North America? Contribute to the Community!

Kumon North America Videos

Kumon North America – Why Work for Us?

Imagine being part of a company that helps shape the future of generations to come. Where challenges are journeys and your influence gives children the confidence to be whoever they want to be in life. There is such a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kumon North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kumon North America CEO Minoru Tanabe. All 306 reviews posted anonymously by Kumon North America employees.