Kurman Communications Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
3.5
Cindy Kurman Barrie

1. I learned the PR and marketing industry working for Cindy Kurman. Loved the experience!

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

It's such a rare opportunity for an employee or client to benefit from someone with her deep expertise and broad experience. Her honesty, her integrity and her passion for promoting her associates and clients have no equal. That's why Kurman Communications, based in Chicago, has been an industry mainstay and leader for decades. Kurman's personal attention to the clients -- small, medium and large -- is inspiring in the extreme. She isn't afraid to help a CEO understand the most effective approach to branding the company, or too busy to guide a recent hire through the latest digital marketing platform and targeted media database. I admire her strength, I respect her success, and I love her humanity.

Cons

I had no issues. Demanding, yes, but always fair.

Advice to Management

Please stay in business for many years to come.

2. Incredible experience

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

I did a 3 month internship with Kurman and from the start I was doing the same work as the full time account execs. They treat you like a valuable member of the team and bring you to all the key client meetings, lunches, etc. to learn about how a top PR agency gets things done. Couldn´t have asked for a better internship experience.

Cons

None to speak of really. Unpaid internship but the experience and dinner/events you get to go to make up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and innovative service offerings

3. Fantastic internship experience

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

I had the good fortune of interning at Kurman Communications the summer before my senior year at college. I am so lucky to have found this opportunity, as it was such a great hands-on learning experience for me. Cindy and Lee took me under the wing and allowed me to be involved in all parts of working at a PR agency. This experience helped me to realize that this was an industry that I was passionate about, as they gave me exposure to so many different aspects, such as events, client meetings, writing press releases, blog posts, and so much more. Cindy and Lee were, and still are, gracious mentors to me, helping me grow and providing me encouragement and advice when needed. Overall, my experience as a summer intern made me excited to explore a career in PR, due in no small part to Cindy and Lee.

Cons

Unpaid internships, but the industry experience in invaluable.

5. Brilliant

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kurman Communications

Pros

Working at a small firm is so beneficial to students who are breaking into the industry. Rather than being distant from the brilliant minds at the top of the company, you work alongside them. Cindy Kurman built a PR empire, among other projects. Her dedication to some of Chicago's best restaurants and non-profits is unparalleled to that of which you would find at a large firm. There is much to learn because as an intern, Cindy trusts you with writing and aggregating releases. She personally teaches you important skills and critical lessons about working in public relations. Lee Barrie, Cindy's husband and partner is equally as kind and helpful. It is an exciting time to be involved with Kurman because they are launching a second business that can revolutionize the spread of media. Cindy and Lee are an unstoppable pair. It is a pleasure to be a part of their team and learn from such experienced professionals.

Interns also have their own desk, have a flexible schedule, and the espresso is always flowing at Kurman.

Cons

While internships are unpaid, the hands-on experience and personal attention is worth it.

6. I had a great working experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kurman Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cindy provided me with computers, printers, software programs to use at my complete discretion in order to finish a project she hired me to do as seamlessly as possible. Cindy and Lee worked completely around my schedule, and even allowed for me to keep a long standing weekly appointment that would typically interfere with work hours. I read the reviews below and cannot attest to their validity since I had such a wonderful working experience at the company.

Cindy is a tough cookie, she tells you what she wants, how do it, and when to have it done, because she truly cares so much about her clients and employees. Cindy encourages you to do the best you can do, which may be tough for some, but in an client driven industry displaying a great work ethic gets you noticed.

My time at Kurman I didn't have the same work assignments the other employees had, I was assigned a single project. Yet the task I was given was extremely labor intensive, and I was the only one at the office hired to do it. There were days when I would stay late at the office to finish the goal I set for myself that day, and there were days when I would bring my work home with me (mind you, on a computer Cindy owned and completely let me borrow my entire time at the office). I know for a fact that Cindy without a second thought will provide you with what you need in order to finish your assignments. She is straightforward, lays out all that she needs from you on the table, and once all the necessary information is given, she can literally sit and talk with you with just about everything. She's wonderful. Cindy and I still speak weekly; and even though I'm no longer at the office due to school, she's always bringing me other potential jobs to work on together.

From my time spent at Kurman Communications I personally feel that Cindy cares not only about me, but my future as well. In fact, when I told Cindy I was going back to school for a second degree she offered to pay for my monthly Adobe subscription to help ease my financial burden, which is one of the nicest things an employer has ever done for me. If you're looking for a boss that truly cares about not just her work, but her employees as well, then I would look into working for Kurman Communications.

... They are also avid coffee drinkers like myself. The office kitchen is like a coffee drinker's dream come true! They also specialize in restaurant public relations, meaning they always have something delicious to feed you.

Cons

Before I started my assignment Cindy and Lee had already purchased a program they wanted me to work with opposed to using the software that I was more comfortable using. The only con I would say is that my work time was extended due to buggy software.

Advice to Management

I worked on a solo project and collaborated with Cindy and Lee opposed to the other employees at the office. Working alongside the CEO and VP benefited me so I supposed establishing that type of relationship allows for people to be more productive.

7. Disappointing, Unproductive Company

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

Acct Coordinators and Interns get their own office (because the place is empty)

Cons

No direction on assignments followed by insults of work rather than constructive criticism
    Leadership yells at each other (at the top of their lungs) over domestic issues
    Bad relationships with clients
    Pays way below industry standards and doesn't allow people to get part-time jobs on weekends or evenings
    Constant dishonesty
    High employee turnover

Advice to Management

Develop better relationships with people to reduce high client and employee turnover

8. Fast-learning but unprofessional

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

I learned very fast at Kurman Communications. There were no limits...I was allowed to take on senior level assignments as an intern. It's a good place to start and get experience.

Cons

I was expected to know everything and there was little room for any formal training or direction. The environment in the office is very unprofessional and poor mistreatment happens on the regular. Very low pay and high work activity...doesn't match up.

Advice to Management

I would suggest paying more....the average salary is so low it's unethical. I would also suggest ethical treatment.

9. Kurman was an under-paid, stressful and un-professional working enviornment.

I worked at Kurman Communications

Pros

Fast learning office
    Lots of opportunities to "run the company"
    Entry level positions available
    Great portfolio builder for newbies
    Fun industry to work in

Cons

Very stressful, and unorganized
    Lack of communication between superiors and employees
    Very inadequate pay
    Work is under-appreciated
    Overwhelming workload
    Unrealistic expectations from upper management

Advice to Management

Be more respectful of your employees in all aspects of life.
    Establish a more professional work environment.
    Use an outside source to manage HR needs.

10. Neutral

I have been working at Kurman Communications

Pros

Work with different clients in the restaurant and entertainment field.

Cons

Bad communication within the office