Kutak Rock Reviews

3.2
David A. Jacobson

1. Good place for attorneys to work

I worked at Kutak Rock

Pros

Collegial atmosphere. Partners willing to help associates. All attorneys expected to work. (No one retires "in place" like at some other firms. Good pay.

Cons

Benefits not as good as at some other firms. Like most other firms, big rainmakers are allowed to be jerks with few repercussions. Willing to lay off associates when times get hard.

Consider allowing flex time and other more modern arrangements, particularly for young attorneys. There are more ways to be valuable to the firm than just bringing in a big client.

2. Great firm. Seems to have true midwest values and culture.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kutak Rock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office is small enough that you get to work on some interesting stuff and also hvae an opportunity to network with attorneys and other departments on larger projects. Management was supportive and encouraged growth and helped me grow as a professional. They listed to and respect their employees (even when it was time to leave).

Cons

Pressure of deadlines. Lack of technology systems and support..

More investment in technology and in training. While I did not have great issues, many of my colleagues do not have any idea how to make the systems work efficiently. Spend some time. You'll reap the rewards.

3. Excellent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kutak Rock full-time

Pros

For the most part, the office is made up of a group of collegial individual who support one another. Of course, there are always the few who do not pitch in to work as a team.

Cons

Pressure of deadlines at times - but that's life in a law firm. Compensation is quite competitive in the local market. PTO accrual policy is very generous when compared to other law firms in the metro area. The non-attorney and attorney management operate with an open door policy.

Continue to strive to make this office a welcome and inviting place for both staff and attorneys. Continue to demand that attorneys treat staff with respect.

5. Great legal experience

I have been working at Kutak Rock

Pros

The firm has a More or less collegial work environment with low stress compared to other similarly sized law firms. There are several activities to boost employee morale. The work environment is clean and safe. The firm sometimes offers opportunities for professional development.

Cons

lower than average industry pay. There is not an extensive or formal professional development program at the firm. It appears to be difficult to find mentors with sincere interest in your development as a legal professional. Very top heavy.

The firm would be wise to outline a more formal professional development program and encourage active mentoring of less experienced personnel.

6. Great People Terrible Firm

I worked at Kutak Rock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that you work with are dynamite. (well some)

Cons

Wages are not comparable to the national standard
    Too many office politics (disparaging treatment is rampant)
    Upper Management is under the false impression that employees are happy but thats the furthest thing from the truth
    Moral is god awful

Remove the office manager (she isnt fit to run a dairy queen)
    The senior partners need to vote on a leadership change
    Have human resources employees develop some of the necessary people skills to interact with people

7. Best move ever - I only regret I didn't come here sooner!

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kutak Rock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Kutak Rock is very supportive of their employees and is supportive of our personal and professional growth. They listen to, care about and respect their employees. I haven't work much with the other offices, but hands down I would recommend working in the Omaha office to my friends.

Cons

I have tried and tried to come up with a 'con', and honestly I can't think of a thing. No job or company is perfect - but I know how lucky I am, I work with a great group of attorneys and my support in HR is amazing.

Please keep up the good work!

8. Good, middle of the pack national law firm

I have been working at Kutak Rock

Pros

Good relationships amongst associates, not ultra-competitive

Cons

Senior partners will work til their on their death bed, so junior partners are really glorified associates

Offer guidance/training to junior employees on how to go about developing a client base

9. Never Again.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kutak Rock full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Supplies and Resources, Great IT department and Computer Training. Clean Environment. Nice Parking.

Cons

Very low moral between employees vs. management. Management tended to be instigators in gossip and unprofessional when dealing with conflicts between the staff. Professional Staff openly gossiped in front of the person of whom they were speaking of. Rules of policy and procedures were often disregarded(including dress code and attendance) The feeling of forced overtime was often felt. Very hostile work environment. Extreme amount of bickering and arguing amongst the professional staff.

What is said behind closed doors should stay there. Management vs Employee issues should stay within the people involved and not discussed with other staff members. More Active management would be necessary in running a professional work environment.

10. Work with one eye open

Former Employee - Lead File Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Lead File Clerk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kutak Rock full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good healthy free snacks, good benefits, good overall employee to employee feeling in the office,unlimited uses to supplies and no questions asked when you need something

Cons

Office full of politics. Gossips all the time, and people looking over your shoulder when working. I was there to be in a manager position and my higher up was constantly hassling me and undermining me, and i thought it was me, but when i spoke to my co workers and HR about it, i got rave reviews on my job performance. However, this did not stop my higher up from constantly looking over my shoulder and dictating my every move. Then they let me go because i wasn't being a "leader." I completely called them out on it, but they let me go either way. However, my higher up , who is constantly gossiping, away from her desk, being noisy and looking around, gets off scot free. i was putting in free overtime, i was cutting my lunches short, i was coming in early and staying way past my time to leave, and this is how i was repaid. It was definitely not worth all the effort i put in.

PAY attention.

11. associate

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kutak Rock

Pros

great hours and great with family work schedules

Cons

only 3 weeks vacation and health benefits need improvement

more vacation