Kwik Trip

www.kwiktrip.com

Kwik Trip Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Kwik Trip – US – “Kwik Trip”

Kwik Trip President and CEO Don Zietlow

Don Zietlow

Pros
  • Profit sharing, good pay for job,Great benefits even for part time(in 22 reviews)

• Also all employees including part time employees receive a year end bonus check(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management way out of touch with staff(in 5 reviews)

• low pay, coworkers that don't want to work hard(in 3 reviews)

Would not recommend as a place to work

Food Assembler (Former Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsProvided stable employment, coworkers were great

ConsDidn't seem to care about coworkers, were always changing or taking away priviledges such as breaks, changed work schedules frequently with little notice, if you complained you were told that you could find another job if you didn't like it

Advice to Senior Managementtreat co-workers as people, not puppets, co-workers are not just complaining when they offer suggestions for improvements in the workplace

High School/College Job

CO-Worker (Former Employee)

ProsFor a job while in school it is great. The pay is pretty good compared to other places that you could be working at.

ConsIt does not prepare you with a lot of experience for what most people would want to do after school.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to retain talent that is in school. Look to bring them on as interns or new hires out of school on the corporate side.

a decent place to work

Retail Coworker (Current Employee) Mankato, MN

Prosface paced working environment makes time go by fast when the store is busy. there is a healthy mix of good customers and bad customers, and employees need to be ready to deal with both. the year end meetings are truly a sight to behold as a new coworker, and the year end bonus is nice too. hours are usually flexible if properly worked out with the store leader and it is usually pretty easy to switch shifts if something comes up for you or another employee. superior customer service is the theme and employees try and stick with it.

Conspromotions every week and dollar days get tiring. employees get sick of it quick.

Advice to Senior Managementcool it with the promotions--not every weekend needs a special deal. its exhausting for the employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good job, but just a job

Retail Co-Worker (Current Employee)

ProsFor the lower level of skill required, they provide great pay and bonuses. Work is never too back-breaking, and the company actively encourages a positive attitude from it's employees and management. They have done a phenominal job of working my hours around my college schedule.

ConsAt the end of the day, it's still a clerk job at a convience store. The work isn't very stimulating, and it's basically the same thing day after day. Cleaning bathrooms isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it's a job. It's customer service, so you have to deal with jerks on a daily basis while maintaining a friendly attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've always been impressed with the management at kwik trip. I think they're doing a great job.

Not just a gas station, great place to work

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Lakeville, MN

ProsGreat company values, raises based on performance and are frequent, good health benefits, 40 percent of companys profits goes back to employees in bonus', Kwik Trip strives hard to make it a safe place to work.

ConsLittle to no room for promotion, customers are not always enjoyable one bad customer can make for a rotten day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict mangers should communicate more with lower level employees not just managers.

Great Company with Great Benefits

Food Product Demonstrator (Current Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsKwik Trip is overall a very good company to work for. They offer quite a bit more in terms of pay and benefits than most other gas stations. Cashiers starting out usually start between $8.00 and $8.50 an hour for full time. I work part time so they are paying me more to even out the pay between coworkers. I started out making $9.00 an hour and after 3 months got a raise to $9.40 an hour. They believe that every employee is important. One can usually get time off when they need it also (unless you are really needed). The benefits are great, full medical, dental, vision, prescription, 401k, profit sharing, vacation, personal days, sick days, and employee owned real estate.

ConsSome of the downsides of working here is you are on your feet all of the time, which becomes very tiring. Some of the customers can also be very rude, and you just have to keep a smile on your face at all times. Also, if you work with food everyone has their own way of doing and making things sometimes. There is a certain way that corporate wants us to do everything but sometimes the information doesn't get to us so we don't know how to do it and we find our own way. That then results in coworkers getting confused and arguing on how to do things.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise Corporate to make sure that everyone and every store knows how to make the food (every little thing, such as whether to punch open the holes in the boxes for the whole pizza or not). That way things can be consistent at each store.

good company

Prosprofit sharing, good ownership, great business plan

Conswages, long hours, lack of humility by some in management

Top Company to work for!

ProsKwik Trip is a people first company. The mission statement of "....make a difference in someone's life" is truly lived out and celebrated. One way the company makes a difference in the lives of its co-workers is by sharing 40% of the pre-tax profits with every employee. This is in addition to an already stellar benefits package. Every level of this company has outstanding people working for it.

ConsWith how generous the owners are to the employees of Kwik Trip and how they truly make a difference in the lives of thousands of people everyday, I'm not sure how one could complain about working for this company. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel named Kwik Trip the Best place to work two years in row based on feedback from Kwik Trip employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for everything that you do!

Exausting, relentless work of an ASL

Assistant Store Leader (Current Employee)

Pros-The company is profitable and growing.
    -The stay with the times and are high tech compared to competition.
    -Stores are cleaner, nicer then competition.

Cons-Long hours, expect no life outside of work
    -Expect to work terrible hours and work most holidays
    -Salary is awful for 50 hour weeks.
    -ASLs spend most there time as glorified co-workers running the register or doing trash, not by choice, but by nessicity. There is little chance to manage the store, unless you want to stay after your 10 hour shift when your finally able to do something other than duties.
    -Profit sharing only amounts to a couple grand, which is nice, but since ASL salary is so low it's not making up for the poor base pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat ASLs like managers or get rid on this position. Working as an ASL can be demoralizing, watching your store leader go to kwik cup for doing the same thing I do every day is rough. I work worse hours, more weekends and If this was holidays, yet still aren't worthy of going to kwik cup.....how do you think that makes us feel? It's time to make this a real management position, with decent pay, better hours (do you really need a manager at a gas station past 9-10PM?) and the same perks as store leaders. changed and the required number of weekly hours was 40-45 I'd call this a good position.

The Zietlow family rocks!

ProsAt Kwik Trip I feel like part of a family, not a number. The leadership of this company is nice enough to share 40% of the companies profits with there co-workers. Kwik Trip also provides many benefits to co-workers both full and part time, that are almost never heard of in the convenience store industy.

ConsKwik Trip is a retail establishment, you're never gonna please every customer. You definately come into contact with numerous jerks on a daily basis. The fake smile you are forced to plaster on your face at the start of your shift also tends to be annoyng. Not to mention the chapter book you have to read to every guest before they leave the store... If they wanted a cheeseburger they would have grabbed one!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sweat the small stuff! Let us go back to being the laid back, friendly, clean gas station KT used to be! Every move your employees make is critiqued, it's kind of an unsettling feeling!

Worked for Kwik Trip? Contribute to the Community!