www.kwiktrip.com

Kwik Trip Reviews in La Crosse, WI

3.5

Kwik Trip President and CEO Don Zietlow
Don Zietlow

Pros
  • Profit sharing, higher than average hourly pay, the Zietlow family rocks (in 25 reviews)

• Also all employees including part time employees receive a year end bonus check (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • too much drama between co-workers ,store leaders showed alot of favortism (in 7 reviews)

• wages, long hours, lack of humility by some in management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Family company, treats employees fair

Former Employee - Large Pull Order Selector in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Large Pull Order Selector in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kwik trip treats their employees very fairly. Employees are paid very well. Also all employees including part time employees receive a year end bonus check.

Cons

Working in the warehouse can be hard work. It is often very hot in the summer. Must be prepared to work hard, however you are paid for your hard work

management was great

I enjoyed weorking with the people

Former Employee - Retail Co-Worker in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the guests and I had great coworkers. I used it as a college job but there is potential for working up in the company with little or no post high school education

Cons

They are very focused on selling food. Their is high gross margin on food so I understand but where I worked we had many regulars and were surrounded by fast food chains that offered better food so we struggled selling food which unfairly effected our payroll.

It felt like unless you knew someone in the corporated office your chances of moving up were limited.

Company is very generous, but its still Customer Service.

Former Employee - Retail Co-Worker in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Part Time Benefits
    End of Year Bonus
    Pays well

Cons

I worked Store Level for 7 years. It can wear you out

Good for customers. Awful for employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip full-time (more than an year)

Pros

KT is one of the leading companies in its industry - there are a fair amount of policies that would actually work, if they were enforced. Benefits are admirable once and if you get to the management level. Before you get there however, watch out.

Cons

You really are at the store manager's mercy. If you have the "luck" of having a good, loyal, ethical and positive leader, your experience working at KT will be tolerable. Unfortunately, most of the store managers explore their assistant managers and the assistant managers pass it on to the workers. You have the most unpredictable schedule and even after it is "set", you can never trust it because the SM or AM always change it, because people call in or just because, but your life/work balance is inexistent. Wages are the lowest AM and lower and if you are a part-timer, inconsistency of hours will also concern you. If you would like to have a break during your sometimes 12h shift, well good luck to you. If you are eating and a customer walks in, you need to let go of your food, stop chewing immediately and help your coworker in the line for 15 minutes until all the customer are gone - good luck if you risk trying to re-re-re-warm your food and waste those precious 45 seconds you have to finish eating...

Corporate should have better policy enforcement. I had the opportunity to work in different stores and it is disturbing to see how the same business in ran so differently from alike stores. A good store manager has their store not only performing good, but respects their employees. A bad store manager (the majority) sits around with their 6-4 schedule, screws the assistant manager with his/her schedule and this takes a toll on their attitude at work, harming coworkers and it gets worse and worse.

I have worked for Kwik Trip for many years, and during that course of time have seen many
    changes.

Current Employee - Cashier in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, profit sharing and CSI for long-term employees. When you work at a store, you develop a sense of family with fellow co-workers and enjoy dealing with your
    regular customers.

Cons

Some of the changes they implement are good, but at times I think they go overboard
    with their detail to food safety and safety in general. It can also be stressful at times to work in the store environment and any changes they make should be tune to making our jobs easier -- not more challenging or difficult. Often times I don't feel staffing is adequate for the amount of customers we deal with or the work that is expected of us.

Recently, Kwik Trip has done a lot in the area of health care and providing employees affordable ways to maintain our health (the Kwik Trip clinic and health savings plan.) However, I think they also need to address options for an employee that is sick and can
    not work their scheduled shift. Often times, because of staffing, there is no one to cover a shift or if you do call in sick you are almost treated like a martyr. If they are going to be so
    focused on food safety, then no one should ever be at work when they are ill, and the
    manager should be open to this and make every effort to get this shift covered for the person. I think having a sub pool, similar to what they do for teachers, would also be an option for alleviating this problem.
    I realize that everyone needs to be on the same page, but I have noticed at store meetings
    that management has a tendency to "dictate" that this is the way it is. I think there are
    better ways to explain new procedures and policies without being so obtrusive.
    I also think the expectations of the Secret Shopper program are too much. We should be grateful for every customer that stops at our store and not expect him to purchase something else through a suggestive sell. And I also think telling every customer to "stop back" or "see you next time" is just plain odd. In my opinion, a genuine thank you and
    have a nice day would be sufficient.

Good for a short time

Former Employee - Retail Co-Worker in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The profit sharing part of this company is excellent and generally those in the market management positions are kind and helpful.

Cons

Working in a store isn't terrible all the time, but the company is incapable of filtering out negative people that bring the whole store down and make a person dread going to work. If they had better ability to filter the negativity, it would be a lot better. As far as room for advancement, don't count on it. If you are hired in one position the best you can hope for is being promoted to maybe one position hire than that. Promote from within doesn't exist here.

Utilize the talent within the company and filter out the negative people that make daily life hard.

Overall Good Company

Current Employee - Shift Leader in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, good pay for job,Great benefits even for part time

Cons

Lots to do on any given day, obvious favoritism from managers at the store level, often poor hires because spots NEED to be filled.

Be loyal to long serving employees first.Do not try to please new people at the expense of those with seniority.

The road to ... is paved with good intentions

Current Employee - Food Service Leader in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Food Service Leader in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Profit sharing

Provide benefits for both full and part time co-workers

Cons

Motto “Food is our future” but treat food co-workers like second rate citizens

Moving to a part time co-worker culture sacrificing quality of food and services, when customers ask “who’s cooking” before making a purchase, you have a problem, absolutely zero time is allotted for training and by moving to part time co-workers that is just double the staff to try and train, mentor and supervise co-workers who are already at a disadvantage because of being thrown into a job they are not ready for.

Over zealous with trying to make hourly co-workers happy most time to the detriment of staffing levels. (If a co-worker asks for a day off and 10 others have also asked for the same day they all get that day off and make the rest work short staffed but the expectations do not waiver)

Absolutely no cooperation between retail and food co-workers, it is like two different countries and the only common denominator is that they share a property boundary.

District and corporate leadership does not spend any time in the store so as to know what is actually happening and the store leaders are basically beaten into shape to tell district leaders everything is wonderful

Money isn’t everything

Actually take one day per month and spend with a co-worker, not running off to check e-mail, messages, walk a day in the life of… Shadow that person and try and do the job you think can be done so easily. This suggestion is for corp. and district leadership.

Review and allocate realistic staffing levels for each store and what is expected of each store, the cookie cutter approach does not work. When you add special promos, events and the like this takes staff to take care of. The hours allocated a barely enough to cover the basics let alone these extra things.

Retail and food co-workers should be cross trained so as to help promote a cooperative atmosphere in stores and to help staffing levels.

Store Leaders and Assistant Store Leaders should be required to work 2 days per month in the kitchen so as to understand what goes on rather than avoid the kitchen like the plaque. Some SL and ASL pride themselves on the fact that they do not work the kitchen. In turn Food Service Leaders should be required to work the same 2 days on the retail side to accomplish the same goal.

And the break situation needs to be re-evaluated, when you have the public in your face for 8 – 12 hours a day sometimes you need to step back and get away for a few minutes to regroup and get perspective again

They Really Care For You

Current Employee - Retail Co-Worker in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Co-Worker in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Profit Sharing, Friendly Culture

Cons

Most Jobs and opportunities are at Retail level

Kwik Trip is, quite simply, the best convenience store chain in the U.S.

Current Employee - Public Relations in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Public Relations in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Kwik Trip is privately owned, and the ownership family believes in putting people first. They have a vision of taking care of their coworkers, and the coworkers taking care of the customers. They are not looking out for themselves but constantly trying to build the business so that they can share more. Competitive wages are supplemented by an unheard of 40% profit sharing plan for every coworker, whether part time of full time. In addition to its retail stores, Kwik Trip owns and operates it own dairy, bakery, commissary, distribution center, and transportations system, creating many options for career advancement. Kwik Trip has never had layoffs in its 45 year history.

Cons

Kwik Trip is only located in three states - Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. With a core value of Midwestern work ethic - retail coworkers need to be on their feet and moving during their shifts.

Keep telling the stories of retail coworkers helping customers.

Kwik Trip Photos