López Negrete Reviews

Alex López Negrete

1. Featured Review

Great Atmosphere

I have been working at López Negrete full-time

Pros

There people you work with quickily become Friends and Family. The atmosphere is more laxed than corporate, so it allows you to do your best without being stressed.

Cons

Quite often you work with people who are not qualified, and have to cover their short comings. Management seems to be unwilling to have employees follow rules or procedures.

Advice to Management

It's great place..celebrate it, but also make people follow the procedures, which is hard in a place that is dedicated to creativity and going outside the box...but sometime procedures are put in place for a reason. More trainig should be available for those that want it, and mandatory for those that think they don't need it

Apr 10, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to implement both better policies and better accountability for the benefit of the agency and our team members. We'll continue our efforts to reinforce sound ... More

2. good experience

Current Employee - Acct Supervisot in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Acct Supervisot in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete (more than a year)

Pros

If you are not happy within a certain department, HR and company is willing to work with you to find a fit.

Cons

Like any other agency, the advertising world it is very volatile, hence people come and go. Sometimes it is not expected, and perhaps it should be more transparent,.

Advice to Management

Not just say what you mean, but act upon on it.

3. GREAT PLACE TO WORK :)

Former Employee - Procurement Analyst/Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement Analyst/Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1.- Excellent work environment
    2.- Great bosses, they will support, teach and guide you all the way
    3.- Coworkers...the best asset the company has!. Personally, I made really good friends
    4.- Owners really care about your personal well-being
    5.- It has great clients (big names!)
    6.- The best Hispanic Agency to work for
    7.- You can have a good work/life balance

Cons

I don't have anything to report at this time, other than if you don't live close by, traffic complicates your commute!

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for such a great review! It's rewarding when we hear from satisfied employees and former employees. We'll continue our efforts to provide a positive work experience for all of our team ... More

5. Worst place to work if you have a self esteem and are a hard worker employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are pretty nice but management is non existent

Cons

Agency treat employes like immigrants nobody could bring them to the standards to the 21st century. THey bring good talent with blue chip clients experience and they don't listen to them they just want to continue doing things the same as 30 years ago. I see no hope for this place is the worst place to work ever. They lie to their employes and don't care about their well being or progress.

There is no training, nor chance to learn or growth they're stuck and behind 25 years or more.

Advice to Management

Bring the best experience people and let them implement changes instead of telling them: here we do it this way.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

Your review reveals that your experiences with us were very disappointing. While your post addresses an old-fashioned mindset, our creative approach - which includes new media and mobile solutions ... More

6. Great place if you are looking not to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, fun/ happy people, work-life balance if you permit this

Cons

If you want to grow, this is not the place. Upper management has been there for many years and they are not interested in letting you grow/ give your opinion. At times, it feels like you are working with people that are not prepared for their positions and they treat you like interns. There is no interest in giving the employees continuing training for professional development
    Creativity is not one of their assets, its more like adaptation of what has been previously done for clients.
    Creative ideas are welcomed but will die in the internal process. More than multicultural, it is a Mexican agency and everything is thought that way.

It is a successful company with the clients that have been there for years but there is not that much interest in pitching new businesses even if they have small budgets.

Apr 10, 2015Director of Human Resources

It is clear that your experience with us was not very positive, and we clearly have more work to do to ensure that all of our team members feel valued and are rewarded with challenging assignments ... More

7. Print Production Manager

I have been working at López Negrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits and Co-Workers

Cons

Layoffs with no notice which makes it rough to prepare.

Advice to Management

N/A

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

A layoff is a difficult undertaking for a close-knit business. Our growing size hasn't interfered with our bond with our teams. Recognizing the impact of layoffs means that we do all that we can to ... More

8. It's a bank

Current Employee - Creative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, decent salary, there's parking. Perfect agency for retail oriented brands.

Cons

Sometimes feels like working with college students. Many people are not prepared for their positions and you can tell they don't know what they are doing. Worst yet, most people think they are great because they share the same ignorance level and don't know any better. This puts a lot more stress on those who know to compensate for others.

It's all about money and making the clients and owners happy. We are their secretaries and there to please and not to question anything, even if it is ridiculous. As a general rule, abandon logic and common sense and your life will be easier here.

There are a lot of procedures but many make no sense. You'll find account services changing copy, creatives producing and much more. There are title-responsibility pairings that you won't find anywhere else and wouldn't work anywhere else.

If you are a creative don't come here. Some people are trying but they are working against a whole machinery fuled by ignorance, fear and lack of desire. Creative ideas are welcomed but will die in the burocracy or lack of support from account services or ownership. You will work in a lot of projects but your career will suffer from lack of creative work in your portfolio and no mentorship. If on the other hand you are not there to create but to execute only what the client wants this place will be great for you.

Old fashion is an understatement and much more Mexican than multicultural in every way. No agency culture... More like a bank than anything else.

Advice to Management

They Have a lot of success in what they do since they are making a lot of money. If you know you are a bank, don't try to sell yourself as a creative agency. A lot of people need training, make it happen and obligatory. Actions over words and nice sentiments. Use your resources better. ZBB is a pain to work with, content company not integrated to agency, both you and the agency could be doing a lot more.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

You express very strong opinions about what you feel doesn't work at Lopez Negrete. Your comment about making money and making clients happy is irrefutable. We see client satisfaction and generating ... More

9. Unfortunately far from having creativity as a priority.

Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Salary.
    Good people.
    Solid agency, financially speaking.
    Good location in Houston.
    Not the harmful gossipy culture most agencies have.
    No big egos here.

Cons

The most amateur agency I've ever worked for.
    Teamwork means "let's help each other out in covering our backs" instead of "let me do my job well so others can do theirs" since most people aren't even clear what their roles and responsibilities are.
    No mentorship. Just a couple of good creative heads here.
    Account services department dominates the agency. No. Not like "every other agency." This is hardcore. Creatives basically report to (and are sometimes afraid of) the account people.
    If you come here, get ready to spend some money on your own things if you want to be mobile, because they will give you an old desktop computer and that's it.
    Offices are horrendous, but that's subjective.... yet furniture are old, dirty, broken and uncomfortable.
    People are so afraid of upper management (meaning the LN's) it's ridiculous. I mean, the guy walks around and everybody freaks out. Insane.

Advice to Management

Surprisingly, I don't have any advice. This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Hispanic agency in the country. Apparently management doesn't need to change anything. Somehow, your system works.
    I guess the only thing I can advice is not to promise things you can't deliver to your future employees. Your agency is not a creative agency and I'm pretty sure you know this. If you don't want to stay being a more business oriented corporation (which is obviously fine), then do not hire creatives promising bright creative opportunities. Some of them come from far away, and have to sacrifice a lot in order to take those opportunities that are not even close to being a priority.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your comments. We know we're not perfect, and candid feedback helps us to "look in the mirror" and improve as an employer and an agency. We DO take your reviews to heart, and they are ... More

10. This place is not your typical agency

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

1) Owner is a great man, and he will help you succeed
    2) Unlimited growth potential

Cons

1) Lack of proper tools to do duties assigned (desktop vs laptop)
    2) Upper Management (leadership team) arrogance

Advice to Management

Don't let your ego get in the way, and remember that middle management to entry level workforce is 60% the reason your company is so prosperous, and good.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your opinions. Building a better company is an ongoing process, and employee feedback is critical to the process. Thanks for helping us along the way.

11. Planning

Former Employee - Planning in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Planning in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete

Pros

Great learning experience into the industry and field

Cons

no cons to report at this time

Advice to Management

NA