López Negrete

Alex López Negrete

Great people, horrible management

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really smart, engaging, nice people.
    I worked for an incredibly intelligent guy from whom I learned a lot about the field of advertising.
    High profile clients.

Cons

Management is anti-work-life balance. Spouses are not welcome at the annual Christmas party. I received comments from people when i left at 5:30 or took a slightly longer lunch (to go to the gym) even if I was putting in the same hours overall and completing my work.
    Very clicky family-run business.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your comments. People like you give us the chance to understand how we can improve. We take comments like yours to heart, and we continue to address work-life balance in the workplace ... More

Great people, but the place is run by fear

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people, good HR folk, good pay, good benefits, and great clients. Getting better as an agency and employer.

Cons

There is a cloud of fear that is hard to shake off and walking on eggshells is the norm. Creativity is somewhat stifled between bureaucracy, fear of the client, politics, and waaay too many people working on just one project. There's also the elusive process that they harp on but never actually show you. Plus, the firing of people is done way too quickly and without thanks in a very dismissive way. They want to win awards, but it takes more than just hiring award-winning creatives. There needs to be a complete agency attitude overhaul from the ground up and a re-training of the clients, otherwise, it's an uphill battle for creatives. The turnover for creatives is high and there is an unspoken badge of honor that you get the later and more frequently you stay late. Work-life balance is hard to come by. Good pay, but then you realize you sold your soul.

Make one-on-ones mandatory, rethink your process bc it's not nimble enough, tell your teams what's going on, be transparent, forget politics and believe in your team, bc they will save you in the end.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you for recognizing the HR team! Your comments regarding fear and the creative process are clearly heartfelt. We will share these with our executives and strive ... More

This agency has a great future

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are fun, they take care to each others, they have a lot of projects, and they focus a lot of the clients!

Cons

Their deadlines are unrealistics!
    Sometimes they just train you for two or three days and they expect you to be perfect!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good agency for those who want to get a good paycheck or work in account services.

Former Employee - Creative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time for more than a year

Pros

Healthy agency.
    Good pay.
    Good life-work balance, at least I did have it. Other teams, not so much.
    Great place to work and learn for account services people.
    People are generally nice. Very nice.
    Benefits are decent. Not great, but decent.

Cons

- This is not a creative agency. Is more of a factory of material and the creatives are just the ones at the assembly lines.
    - No award winning vision. Obviously. If it's not a creative agency, then how is it going to win creative awards? And if there is a creative proactive initiative with potential, first thing they will worry about is a job #. Every single second in this agency has to be a billable second.
    - Creative leadership is very lame. Very bad CDs and ECDs. Not the type that teams below should look up to as mentors. They also seem to report more to the account teams than to their CCO.
    - This agency has a very antiquated view of the Hispanic market and are very pro Hispanic stereotypes. That's probably why they are so successful though. It actually doesn't feel like a Hispanic Market agency, it feels more like a Mexican Market agency (from the 80s).
    - Not an inspiring office. Decoration is awful. They have this really amazing building decorated in the most horrible way. Very Old-fashioned. It feels like la tatara-abuela's place from the 1800's, with a bad taste. Not inspiring for any creative person whatsoever and is not only creatives, most people feel this way. It simply doesn't have the right energy as an agency.
    - Bad equipment and accommodations. Old computers, old hardware and software and a horrible IT team that is always in a bad mood. Also, desks are bad, broken or uneven old wooden desks. I had to buy my own office chair at office depot in order to have a decent chair because the ones they have are the most horrible chairs you can think of.

- Agency is, financially speaking, a success. Now focus on creative quality (if you care about that anyways).
    - Get true competent, updated and award hungry creatives and leadership. (again, if you care for creative quality)
    - Make your building an inspiring agency to work in. Sorry, your decoration is not pretty.
    - Free time is important for employee's performance. I'm not saying give away summer Fridays (which a lot of agencies do) but at least xmas holidays. For how conservative you are in your view of Hispanics this should be a given.
    - I won't advice to change your philosophical views of the Hispanic Market, I didn't agree with it and I left. I will just say that in my opinion, you are going to lose the bet as years pass.
    - Get your employees decent equipment and comfortable furniture. They spend half of their lives (some of them even more) in there working for you, at least give them decent chairs, desks and equipment along with an inspiring place to work. You claim to be a Familia, but the house is terrible.

Jun 23, 2014Director of Human Resources

We are sorry that you feel so negatively about your experience with Lopez Negrete. We're sorry that you were frustrated, but we thank you for caring enough to provide honest feedback. We will ... More

Account Supervisor

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really like the energy here. There is an activity level that keeps you motivated and charged up.
    Managers are experts and they're willing to train others and share their expertise.
    Fun workplace with a lot of personal interaction, friendships and activities.
    Challenging clients and exciting work that keeps me growing
    Growing digital and social media portfolio and lots of 360 focused client work
    Good pay $

Cons

Hours are longer than I like, but it was that way at my previous agency too.
    Client timelines can be crazy, and it's stressful when we only have a week to do what should take 2 months.
    No holiday week off

Keep developing your management team. Bring leaders from larger companies because they know where you are going. Make sure that everybody follows the rules (don't let higher ups off the hook). Give people freedom to develop and to work special projects that they choose.

May 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We continue to focus our growth efforts on strengthening our leadership teams and to formalize processes that ensure consistent compliance across the company. We value your ... More

Worst company I've ever worked for in my career

Former Employee - Media Planner
    Former Employee - Media Planner

I worked at López Negrete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Payed higher than market average salaries but you eventually realize they've bought your soul

Cons

Alex and Cathy like to make a lot of promises with no follow up. Basic office supplies like a functioning printer are far and few between, but Alex pulling into the parking lot in a brand new luxury car does not go missed by employees.

None since they never listen

May 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

It's difficult to respond to reviews that lack constructive detail. However, we do recognize that negative comments from former employees are valuable, if we just listen.

Lopez Negrete strives to
    ... More

LNC is like most Hispanic agencies - you decide

Current Employee - Account Director  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at López Negrete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Client roster - great, famous accounts, good for the resume
    Team - can make good friendships with co-workers who are very talented
    Salaries - they pay well and raise are consistent
    Stable - very stable with clients and no financial problems
    Offices - good working environment and cool spanish style offices
    Challenging - not boring, interesting work

Cons

Awards - no big prizes and no permission for creativity for awards, the clients that are with Lopez Negrete are retail brands and do seasonal, LTO type calendars.
    Time off - don't expect much balance here because the disorganization and bad client management makes more work and they're not closed when all the other agencies are (Dec)
    Industry - isolated and little visibleness in the advertising community
    Houston - if you decide to leave here, move to another city because there are not other agencies
    Small - act big but bad travel rules, have favorites with top executives, and complain about don't make enough money

You won't become a top agency without giving people time off and that it's very important when you work as crazy as we do. The other agency see this but you still don't. Give people TIME for industry activities and let them find things they like, not pushing for every minute of time to be billable. You will make more money because work will be better and people will stay longer. Always pushing and no focus on people makes it difficult to not look for something else.

May 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your comments. We are aware of and focused on the value of creative awards, industry presence, and creative reputation. As we pursue our next levels of growth, we expect greater awareness ... More

don't waste your time.

I worked at López Negrete

Pros

it paid my salary on time.

Cons

fear based operation that develops mediocre work and feels entitled about it. organization thinks the key to making award winning work is process. managed predominantly through heresay. if you do join this company, know this - politics will always trump performance.

May 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

It's unfortunate that we can't guarantee a long and successful employment experience for all of our new hires, although we'll always try to do so. Your experience within our process-focused culture ... More

Hard work, great co-workers, but no rewards or incentives whatsoever.

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

Fun place, many nice people to work with.

Cons

Only upper management is taking in consideration for ANYTHING: salary increases, bonuses, kudos, you name it. A lot of "special friends" of the owners get the best part of the pie. The rest of the personnel is totally invisible.

It could destroy your portfolio/demo reel

Former Employee - Creative Director  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- It is the nation’s largest independent, Hispanic owned and operated, full-service agency specializing in Hispanic marketing.
    - Competitive compensation
    - Headquartered in Houston, Texas (No state income tax and winning combination of low cost of living and high quality of life, and fine dining)
    - Compare to other agencies, they have been stable keeping their clients. So little job security (If that even exist in advertising)

Cons

- For creatives or producers: Definitely, it will destroy your creative portfolio. Consequently, it will make it very difficult to find another creative job in a great ad agency such as LatinWorks, Grupo Gallegos, La Comunidad, etc.
    - Lopez Negrete has not won any Cannes Lions, Clios, One Shows, D&AD, NYF, ADC, LIA or Andy Awards, after 28 years of existence.
    - The the ongoing turnover of employees is amazing. This is a revolving door agency.
    - Headquartered in Houston, Texas. The summer season here is unbearable. It is hotter than Miami!
    - The Competitive compensation comes with a price: You will be working long hours and weekends too.
    - Low Employee Morale: Countless lost of pitches due to poor creativity
    - The President/CEO, EVP/CFO/COO, and VP have never work in an Advertising Agency before. Consequently, their systems, managements and processes, and most importantly decisions are like running a mom and pop shop.
    - Ugly agency decoration. This is not your typical cool ad agency contemporary decoration, LNC looks like a lawyers offices. Not inspiring at all.

- Learn how to balance great creative ideas with sales.
    - Let the creatives make the decision of what is creative and what isn't.
    - Sort out your priorities: Creative must be first priority. Check your website, the leadership section list HR department first, the creative leadership is listed as last!
    - Don't claim to be a leader in the new digital age when you are not. Forgot sake, your website still running in Flash!
    - Change culture and furniture decoration.

May 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

You bring up a number of constructive points, and we thank you for your comments. As an advertising agency based in the 3rd-largest US city, we benefit from a vibrant economy and culture. But, the ... More

Worked for López Negrete? Contribute to the Community!