L-1 Identity Solutions

Add Photos

L-1 Identity Solutions Chairman, President, and CEO Robert V. LaPenta

Robert V. LaPenta

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time

ProsFriendly people, Good work-life balance, personal growth

ConsVery few young people
Bad commute, no training, no direction

Sexist company that only cares about $$

Image Scientist (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsThey hire quick....IF they have a contract

ConsIt's a military-run company that may not have started out that way, but ended up that way after the terrorist attacks of 2001. It was a good 'ol boy company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring nothing but military men

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Busy company with interesting project

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting projects, a lot of dedicated people. Generally a good focus on the customer. Flexible on working remotely.

ConsMost of the customers are not nearby so travel was a constant part of the job. Company had a few too many projects at the same time so there was a constant vying for resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to refocus backing up the words with actions.

Technology product manager

Technology Product Manager (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCutting-edge technology, great, bright people, informal atmosphere

ConsQuestionable decision-decision making, execution is not always stellar

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in accomplishing what was planned and decided.

L-1 Identity Solutions was a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Stamford, CT

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent environment in working with many professionals. Management was dynamic and skills focused in change management, merger and acquisitions were a plus. Financial background was also and excellent skills set to have.

ConsCould be stressful at times with long hours but if you were willing to work hard, it was an excellent environment.

Not the best experience

Operator (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsStability, opportunity to operate advancement machinery

ConsDecisions take a long time to be made, depending on position, employee needs are met at different paces, hours are unpredictable

Advice to Senior ManagementMy main advice to management is to give more of an ear to your machine operators. Being that the company does not work with unions there are conditions that are taxing on those employees and requests to alleviate some aspects of that stresss were blatantly ignored by management.

A Company at War with Itself

Senior Software Enginiier (Former Employee)
Billerica, MA

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions

ProsL-1 -- currently known as MorphoTrust USA -- offers the opportunity to work on systems that support Departments of Motor Vehicles and drivers license creation. It can be rewarding to work on software that relates to thing that affect the every day lives of real people. I found the salary to be very competitive.

ConsThe company as it is presently constituted grew out of the rapid acquisition and consolidation of several companies that competed against each other. There are also many people who have been working there for a very long time. The result is that the company culture is competitive rather than cooperative with an unhealthy focus on how business has been conducted in the past.

It is very difficult to get help from folks who work in other groups and there is little help to be found in upper-management. Most of the people who have the power to affect change seem to be most concerned about coasting, making few waves and being politically astute. This is a hindrance to actually getting things done, and projects are often late and frustrating to work on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs new blood like a hungry vampire, and the upper management needs to come around to the idea of funding engineering work through R&D budgets rather than project budgets.

Selfish & bias middle level management

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Concord, CA

I have been working at L-1 Identity Solutions

Pros1. Engineering team
2. Awesome technology (biometrics)

That's about it.

Cons1. Middle level management are selfish, & bias. They only care about their bonuses.
2. Shamelessly expect you to slog for long hours, come on weekends, etc., without even comp days off (and forget about extra pay)
3. No career growth whatsoever, unless you are buddies with the managers, and play golf with them.
4. Employees are not valued in this company.
5. On the flip side, some became managers with just 2 years' career experience and with absolutely no talent.
6. And now after Safran acquired, nothing changed locally (in concord), but layoffs began. Do not join this company, it is a sinking ship. One by one, people are leaving.
7. Too many politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the top level management:

This division has awesome team, the management at concord don't know how to use them, nor do they know how to treat their employees. And hey became managers only from the back doors. SACK THEM. Especially the Indian folks, get rid of them if you have any plans to keep the company alive. Brilliant engineers are leaving because of their politics.

Dysfunctional Organization, weak requirements documentation process, poor delivery performance.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Billerica, MA

I have been working at L-1 Identity Solutions

ProsDysfunctional Organization provides excellent opportunity for growth and gaining experience, i.e. to be successful you will need to get your hands into every aspect of the organization.

ConsSame dysfunctional organizational and specifically lack of standard processes and quality of performance across groups greats a steep learning curve required to be successful. Also creates an environment of high stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone in the organization knows what the weak links are from both a process(Requirements Definition/Business Analysis & Product/Solution Management) and group stand point, focus on fixing these things will go far to improve overall product quality and morale. Providing an environment where individuals feel like they are succeeding is key to becoming a successful company.

The company is awesome, would love to go back to work there.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Martinez, CA

I worked at L-1 Identity Solutions

ProsCutting edge technology. Talented co-workers.

Consyou become a workaholic and stay in late most days.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.

Worked for L-1 Identity Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L-1 Identity Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L-1 Identity Solutions CEO Robert V. LaPenta. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by L-1 Identity Solutions employees.