L-3 Communications

Updated August 19, 2014
3.2

L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese
Michael T. Strianese

Pros
  • Pay is good, but they love to lowball you coming in and then you are stuck (in 37 reviews)

• overall a good company that provides autonomy, good work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy network means that only the inner clique is included in anything (in 16 reviews)

• Good old boy network of managers - many with roots in military (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great experience as a co-op.

Former Employee - Digital Hardware Co-op Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Digital Hardware Co-op Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

Great low-level engineering work.
    Lot of intelligent people, very resourceful

Cons

My pay was average. The company didn't seem too secure, as far as sustainable business/contracts.

Constant search to figure out what will work to get employees engaged

Current Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary
    9/80 work schedule
    good middle management
    good benefits

Cons

The decision-making leadership tries to introduce too many products at the same time.
    Lots of talk about "TEAM" but the team is only 1 deep at each discipline and everyone is working on multiple projects.
    Efforts to create a dedicated a TEAM, alienate other employees when bonuses are handed out.
    STAR Bonuses demoralize other workers multiple times per year

Set more realistic financial goals
    Improve the marketing plan understand who your customer is and what they want

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

L3 is a good place to work with a professional environment and opportunity for advancement. Training is available to help with job growth.

Cons

Like all large companies that profit from the economies of scale, the required processes can be oppressive to the human spirit.

Management must not only direct but also facilitate the workforce in order to accomplish the big picture objectives. Also lead by example.

Ok.

Former Employee - Desktop Systems Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Desktop Systems Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

There are good benefits. There are free lunches. Good attitude amongst employees. A lot of holidays. Bonuses are offered for everyone.

Cons

There are limited progressive opportunities. There are half day Friday's; it would be better to have the option to work four-tens.

It is beneficial to provide feedback to employees more than once a year. It would also be nice to have more training opportunities.

Mechanical Engineer Product Development

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

Interesting work, fuzing for weapon systems. Close to home. Lots of good people there.

Cons

Low paid compaired to simliar jobs. Many layers of management. Lots of busy work, makes it hard to do any real engineering. Weak annual reviews. Poor merit increases. No cost of living increases.

Figure out what engineers make in the same indusry elsewhere and bring your level of compensation up to par. The PM schedules are not reasonable for the proper technical work that must take place. Get rid of the bonus and provide a larger annual increase.

Long term commitment and respects employees

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

I work at L-3 Fuzing and Ordnance Systems, and the management recognizes that it takes awhile to get oriented in that specialty. I feel that I am listened to and that my opinions are highly respected. I can also do what I need to get the job done expeditiously, and people are willing to help.

Cons

Very traditional management structure. The engineering and management are exclusively male. Also, you make instruments of destruction. They can tend to micromanage at times. These are minor concerns. The pros outweigh the cons by a landslide.

Relax and trust your highly competent staff to get the job done. Also, make management less top-heavy. Offer relocation packages to new employees.

From it's employee friendly policies to it's challenging work. L-3 has the whole package.

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

L-3 has a laid back atmosphere that encourages learning and innovation. Classes or training supporting your professional development are almost always approved. The company supports its employees on all levels making it an enjoyable place to work.(This may not hold true for all divisions). In the end, if it's the challenge you're looking for, there are not many company's in the midwest where you can work with cutting edge technology like you do at L-3.

Cons

This is a company loved by engineers, but if you're looking for vertical advancement, there is little room to move until someone retires. The organization has remain very flat until recently. This maybe changing.

I like the direction that we are heading. The inter-division cooperation and development has been a huge benefit for everyone.

L-3 Communications Photos

Reston, VA headquarters of L-3 Communications (Photo thanks to Flickr user Matthew and Tracie, available under by-nc-nd/2.0)
SATCOM compound