L-3 Communications
www.l-3com.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

L-3 Communications Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
L-3 Communications – Reston – “Reston, VA headquarters of L-3 Communications…”

L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese

Michael T. Strianese

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, able to purchase extra week of pto, 2 cafeterias on plant"
    in 51 reviews
  • "Great work life balance, decent salary, it could be better but also could be much worst"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Good old boy network based upon nepotism and friends for advancement"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good old boy network, tends to promote friends instead of better qualified or educated candidates"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great place to work

Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee)
Fort Hood, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoyed working there. good benefits, good pay and worked with some really great people. I really liked going to work. it gave you a real sense of accomplishment.

ConsSome of the people that were in leadership positions should not have been allowed to lead people in the environment that we worked. they did not have the temperament for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company had great values. Some of the people that were in the management positions there got there for the wrong reasons. ( good old boy system).

Very motivated company and overall positive work experience with front office management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at L-3 Communications for less than a year

ProsActively supports veteran employment, excellence motivated, culture promotes success, high-quality co-workers who care about doing well

ConsNeed to expand recruiting practices and get the word out to hungry potential employees. very few folks are aware of what this company has to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking ahead 20 years and working towards making sure your company is embracing the technological trends to keep you competitive in the market.

I worked for L3 for several years.

Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe schedule was very flexible and most people were great to work with.

ConsA lot of corporate drama and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Company to Work For!

Junior Configuration Manager (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, NC

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Pay, Great Benefits! The location that I worked at had great employees as well. As usual there were some management issues initially, however, when I moved to a different department I no longer had to deal with those issues. There were many events hosted to upkeep company moral, an overall a family environment with great training programs for employees. An occasional request to work odd hours due to work load back up, however, it was a rare request.

ConsThe only cons that I can think of is that at the location that I worked at the work load was way too large for the amount of employees. We were definitely given work for a larger facility, however, working with such great people made the time past fast and the family environment helps as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within, since after all it is your people that are completing the work and keepingthe business running.

A great company with a good business model.

Electronics Assembler (Former Employee)
Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunities for advancement, Great influx of work, always growing seeking to expand, looks out for share holders, does reliable and dependable modifications, very organized in it's employment practices

ConsManagement can be difficult, nepotism runs rampant, with out a college degree your options are limited, they want you to learn your job extremely fast, training options can be limited

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, with out your employees you have no business.

OK place to start a career.

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting work. Large company and the hourly workers are great people. Starting pay is good for the area. Many positions require security clearance which can be a good addition to a resume. Frequently hires veterans.

ConsAdvancement, especially for females or people who do not have family and/or friend in high places, is non-existent. Harassment complaints are not taken seriously by Human Resources. Management rearrangements are common and the good old boy network is alive and well. Engineers spend majority of their time performing duties that do not require engineering degrees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions and raises should be based on job performance. Take employee complaints seriously. Bring in more managers who are willing to break up the good old boys club. Invest more money into manufacturing tools and facility quality.

It's neutral. A job is a job

I have been working at L-3 Communications

ProsGreat people, the building is comfortable. My manager really looks after her staff.

ConsOther than my manager there isn't any overwhelming reason to work here. New update here, change notice there, boring technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou assume they would actually care. Here's what I overheard a manger say about these comments. Complainers and loafers. They should just shut up and move on. isnt that nice?

Not a bad company

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, fairly easy job, enjoy providing support to the Department of Defense agencies, working with good people.

ConsThe pay isn't that great, and there's not a lot of job security - will the contract be renewed? Will I have a job?

Interesting approach to complex projects

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
Lexington, KY

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEngineers were allowed to develop projects and not micromanaged.

ConsDisorganized and overbudget is not a way to go through life

Advice to Senior ManagementReally could benefit by adding earned value management tools to the PMO.

Good product company has no clue how to promote it and are not willing to consider new ideas or listen to reason.

Training (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood product, my immediate supervisor is great

ConsGood old boy network, no common sense when it comes to promoting, has subject matter experts on the payroll but refuses to ask would rather build on an idea push it out before asking anyone's advice. Not pro active at all but reactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the guys in the trenches, create an corporate ladder to climb, get your heads out of the military mentality as in the real world it does not work, and make it a team effort rather than a one man show many visions go further than one. OH and here is a big one when the cost of living goes up 4.5% every years an 2.5% raise is really a joke and a slap in the face of those who bust their butts to try and make it!

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L-3 Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L-3 Communications CEO Michael T. Strianese. All 556 reviews posted anonymously by L-3 Communications employees.