L-3 Communications

Updated September 9, 2014
3.2

L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese
Michael T. Strianese

Pros
  • Pay is good, but they love to lowball you coming in and then you are stuck (in 32 reviews)

• overall a good company that provides autonomy, good work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy network based upon nepotism and friends for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Good old boy network means that only the inner clique is included in anything (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

great work environment. free breakfast on Friday.

Cons

pressed to move to up to management level.

Decent company to work for

Current Employee - 3b Mechanical Installer  in  Waco, TX
    Current Employee - 3b Mechanical Installer in Waco, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If your looking for stability, and a hard working management team to seek out new projects then this is the place to be. All in all I can't complain as there are other businesses in this industry that are much worse.

Cons

Tends to be plagued by numerous procedures especially around the time of government inspections that makes mechanics spend more time checking tools then building airplanes. Promotions have declined significantly in the last 3 years.

Opportunity to move around

Former Employee - Engineering Planner  in  Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Planner in Waco, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits package, good time off (120 hours to new employees, plus a week off at Christmas), lots of perks and programs provided. They seem to hire from within for lower to mid-level management, and for support positions such as schedulers, estimators, and planners.

Cons

Very much a "good ole boy" network. If you are in, that can be a plus, but if not... Also, the best raise you will get is the one you negotiate coming through the door. Raises are small, often not keeping up with cost of living.

Be more transparent

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Being a part of preparing our men and women to fulfill their military commitment and training

Former Employee - Configurations/Data Management Specialist  in  Altus, OK
    Former Employee - Configurations/Data Management Specialist in Altus, OK

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nearly every employee is the best in their particular field and and perform their utmost for this country. A lot of pride in a job well done.

Cons

My experience was the best. Things I learned enriched me and my work experience. It stretched me and it rewarded my efforts and integrity.

Gather the facts as soon as possible. Listen to the intent and concern from the people that work for you. Go with your instincts and make the decision. Don't play favorites.

Outstanding Company with great management and benefits

Former Employee - Software Engineer I  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Locations throughout the U.S and abroad, challenging work and great corporate management

Cons

Contracts subject to change periodically. However, this isn't because of the company but from government rebidding of contracts.

NA

Soon to be former employee

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company with stable and generous benefits. Good training. Treat employees well. I have enjoyed the work there. Co-workers get along well; little drama.

Cons

In constant effort to maximize the dollar (that's why they're in business, after all), they downsize and merge within the company. Communications about such activities does not flow down until it directly affects the employee.

L-3 communications has been a great company to work with, but they don't pay great.

Current Employee - Assembler III  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assembler III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are very easy going where family is concerned and managers are great, and the company expects top quality. They are a very large company, which is good for stability usually.

Cons

Human Resources is stingy. We got a raise once because they found out they were paying and the bottom for the market but even then the raise was pennies. Stocks have fluctuated lately and even dropped due to some financial issues and created instability which lead to MANY lay-offs.

Push for raises and show your employees you appreciate them.

Good job while it lasted.

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

Payed well with better than average benefits. Loyal and hard working work force. Management did their jobs well without micro managing.

Cons

As soon as it was convenient, a whole manufacturing facility was let go so that cheaper labor could be hired elsewhere.

Loyalty used to be worth something.

Overall Good Defense Contractor

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very professional people in engineering department. Good pay. The work is exciting and challenging. So if you are willing to learn on your own you can make a big difference.

Cons

Very inexperienced management, mostly promoted within before they gained sufficient experience. Periods of feast or famine. Professional training must be done on your own because the company invests very minimally in training. Until recently the division has been able to avoid the layoff/rehire cycle that government contractors are pretty much forced into. That has pretty much ended now.

Master your trade before trying to manage it. Working on one or two successful programs is not sufficient. Decide what it is CSW does. Currently L-3 Communications CSW is a lot of seperate little "kingdoms" which often compete with each. Come up with a business plan and then communicate it too all employees. Here is how the company is going to make money.... Just like we flow down requirements, flow down the business plan.

Little respect for employees

Current Employee - Manufacturing  in  Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Greenville, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work is fairly stable, Time off is generous.

Cons

No room to grow, employees are disrespected, plocies change at the drop of a hat. They would like it more if the employees were robots. Unethical

Your employees are professionals... not 6th graders. Stop showing as much favoritism.

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!