L-3 Communications

L-3 Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese

Michael T. Strianese

Pros
  • Pay is good, but they love to lowball you coming in and then you are stuck(in 31 reviews)

• overall a good company that provides autonomy, good work-life balance(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy network based upon nepotism and friends for advancement(in 13 reviews)

• Good old boy network means that only the inner clique is included in anything(in 11 reviews)

Good company to work for with a great mission of supporting our troops

ProsReally like the company and what it stands for and their standards of excellence.

ConsUpwards movement in some departments can be slow.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosoverall a good company that provides autonomy, good work-life balance

Consthe only major fault i found was that personal growth was non-existent

Advice to Senior Managementencourage professional growth

Great Company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rockwall, TX

ProsGreat benefits, 401k match, PTO, training.

ConsNo issues with this employer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Place in company is vital to your experience

Program Manager (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsHuge company that is very varied. You can have an opportunity to work on projects that make a large impact. The salary structure is competitive.

ConsThe company is broken up enough that one part of it may feel like a complete different place when compared to another part. Not very easy to transfer between divisions, it's like hiring an external employee. Most of the time, this isn't a good place just to get your foot in the door and then move around, but they have been trying to make it easier. If they hire you into a contract support position, don't expect that to be a stepping stone into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you are hiring competent Division Presidents because that is the person who determines the day to day experience for most employees.

SME at D.P. Associates/Link Subsidiary

Subject Matter Expert/Technical Writer-Editor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVery flexible work schedule. Comparable benefits. Management stresses self-improvement (school, work-related certifications, etc...), and not live-to-work type of attitude.

Work environment is very laid back and management is very approachable.

ConsVery little room for advancement. You're only moving up if someone gets fired, quits, or retires. You can earn titles that come with more responsibilities but you won't get paid any more. The only benefit this has is if you are kept by the team when it starts to shrink towards the end of a contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovements need to be made in communication between upper and employees.

The company is too reliant on defense contracts. Defense budget cuts has effected the long term outlook of this subsidiary in a negative way. Unless the company can acquire more civilian contracts the outlook for this place is grim.

It was a good place to work.

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey had a great workforce. Lots of good people.

ConsQuality and moral dropped off during the RIF.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Get to know your company.

Great Company

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat place to work with good, smart, friendly people. Lots of experienced professionals to learn from and work with. Good technology and engineering opportunities. Good benefits and work/life balance.

ConsLike most large companies, policies and procedures can be excessive. Recent decline in government defense spending along with implementation of a new SAP system has made the future uncertain. Cyclical work and periodic layoffs have made and anxious work force.

Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood Company, many perks, salary and benefits are great, paycheck is guaranteed.

ConsManagement will do anything to help Company and not the employees.

Wonderful Company, that truly cares

INFORMATION ASSURANCE ENG (Former Employee) Vandenberg AFB, CA

ProsThe people, the pay (benefits package) and being vested with them

ConsContracts are never 100% guaranteed so leaves security for your job up in the air yearly. The do not give out bonuses like other large companies. Not even for around the winter holidays. One year they sent out a free turkey check but stopped the other years. Scored high for the year and only got under $300 for a bonus... Should of been more I think. I think merit and performance raises should be more than 1 - 2 %/yr.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good place to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFriendly people, I liked my job.

ConsThis company diversifies its investments by buying other companies that are useful to their progress. When business is slow in some areas, other areas are still active. I believe the wisdom of their financial groups will always climb back up from any setback and progress to heights again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you people good, you never know who will be your boss in the future.

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!