L-3 Communications Reviews

808 reviews filtered by

1. L-3 Communications

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Aurora, CO

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is fairly competitive and benefits are in the norm.

Cons

Presence in the Colorado region is small, thus there is not much upward or lateral opportunities.

Advice to Management

Try to grow business in the Colorado Region in alignment with business objectives.

2. Review

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

Good company good company good

Cons

Low pay low pay low

Advice to Management

Pay more

Nice Place to work. No room for promotion

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

Nice co-workers and willing to help.

Cons

No room for promotions or encouragement of enhanced methods.

Advice to Management

To heavy top for small company.

Electromechanical assembler

Former Employee - Electromechanical Assembly in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Electromechanical Assembly in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

I enjoyed working at this comany. Almost 11 years.

Cons

You never knew when your turn was comming. For the next round of layoffs.

Advice to Management

New supervisor's and managers do not know the people well enough to know who if not all to let go.

Limited customer base.

Former Employee - Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pushing night vision technology to the limit. Great feeling helping our troops. When business is good, lots of career opportunities, challenges, and low hanging fruit.

Cons

It's a one customer company basically - the US Government. If they aren't buying in quantity, then business is about 100 employees strong with little to no opportunities. If they are buying in quantity, then business can be over 800 employees strong, decent opportunities and a nice place to work. Beware of cliques. Feast/famine environment.

Advice to Management

Find new customers (if possible). They've known this for several years now. Good luck.

7. G/L Staff Accountant in Rockwall, TX - Upper management leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - General Ledger Staff Accountant in Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - General Ledger Staff Accountant in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people at my level are great to work with. Awesome benefits - Health, Stock purchase plan, 401(k), health awareness awards, company tries to plan fun activities for employees.

Cons

Upper management is based on the buddy system. If you are not "friends" with the top management of the G/L team (i.e. "Yes, you are awesome! Let's go running together and be BFF's forever!") you are not in the special club. Hours are horrible. I expected to work to 11pm one Friday per month, and on holidays. That was what was presented in the interviews. I, as well as the rest of my department are working a minimum of 50 on up to 70+ hours per week. When I went to talk to upper management after the 3rd person in my department quit within 3 weeks, and I was going to inherit yet more work, I was basically called stupid and inefficient, and if I was not those two things, I would not have to work very much overtime at all. Additionally, this manager went on to talk poorly about 2 of my other bosses, and 2 staff I currently work with. Wow. Can you get any more unprofessional?

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of the sand and actually pay attention to the volume of work that is flowing through this department. If you updated the computers so they would not crash, automated more systems so we are not having to take 73 steps to make one entry, and occasionally took an interest and stayed late with us, you would be able to help us become more efficient. We are so slammed with trying to get the tasks done, we don't have time to even think about how to be more efficient. Until you do, employees of this department will be leaving in droves.

This is a good company to get your foot in the door for experience after being laid off for 3.5 years

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

This company has great benefits

Cons

Didn't like being a sub on the contract

Program Cost Analyst

Current Employee - Program Cost Control Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Program Cost Control Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility to cross train, compensation is ok, but could be improved significantly. The crew is nice and environment promotes relaxation.

Cons

personal growth - the lack of growth opportunities hinders the everyday work environment. Managers, low education and many are long tenure employees. This combination shuts off many opportunities is various ways.

Advice to Management

Improve personal growth and transition older employees out. Empower new employees to succeed at work, not just long tenure emloyees.

10. Great company but so risk adverse they miss opportunities

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay and treat their employees well.

Cons

They are a holding company so they buy you and your competitor and still expect you to compete against each other even though you are the same company. This creates a hostile environment between divisions and it is very confusing for the customers when they get multiple bid responses from different divisions of the same company.

Advice to Management

Try to act like you are one company and find ways to have divisions work together to offer comprehensive solutions to the customers.

A large defense contractor with wide range of opportunities and interesting technology.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

Co-workers are highly skilled and dedicated. The work is rewarding in that it supports our armed forces. There are wide variety of opportunities within the company - logistics, manufacturing, engineering, etc.

Cons

Telecommuting is not allowed. This is a large corporation with associated bureaucracy and overhead costs. Collaboration between geographically separate divisions is restricted, which reduces effectiveness of pursuits.

L-3 Communications Photos

Reston, VA headquarters of L-3 Communications (Photo thanks to Flickr user Matthew and Tracie, available under by-nc-nd/2.0)
SATCOM compound