L-3 Communications

www.l-3com.com
Employer Engaged

Overall satisfying experience with a few hiccups here & there.

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Dayton, OH

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits & Work hours are great! Job was challenging and satisfying with right amount of busy work and self-improvement worked in.

Cons

Management and coworkers were standoff'ish and not that accepting of new hires... Felt like I had to forage my way through red tape, alone mostly.

Take better care at introducing new hires to group and encourage group to interact with new hires. Don't leave new hires to fend for themselves when a flourished beginning could solve many future issues.

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

good vacation, pay and benefit.

Cons

not much raise once you reach senior status.

unethical

Former Employee - Special Programs in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Special Programs in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

The employees, training, and middle management.

Cons

Management, the "family" click. Family working for and with family and got away with anything unethical but continued to receive bonuses and raises and more perks than the regular employees. Employees were actually afraid to approach upper management yet even to say hello. some management were so overworked that it broke up households. Some employees were so degraded that they were hospitalized for stress. some actually contemplated suicide. Some were terminated unjustly and now looking for jobs are getting a bad report!

Get to know everyone and recognize them. The "little" people make your business succeed not necessarily management and executives. Don't retaliate on the employees that report unethical behavior to management or HR.

Working at L-3 was a learning experience

Current Employee - SME in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - SME in Orlando, FL

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No real complaints although I think L-3 should advance within. I was able to transition from the Marine Corps and find a place in the civilian sector.

Cons

Poor leaders were accepted and should have been let go, lead follow or get out of the way!

L-3 COMMUNICATIONS

Former Employee - Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Torrance, CA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Have meetings to discuss what management thinks should work to make the company more profitable. That does provide a slight amount of encouragement to some employees. They have continued the previous retirement plan that was in place when L-3 purchased the company from Boeing, but they were probably legally required to do that.

Cons

Lots of off site meetings, that pretty much have questionable constructive output. The Electron Technology Inc division in Torrance has new management as of 2012 but the company still seems as if it has no real direction.. They manufacture high technology products at this location, but few if any of the Vice Presidents at the company have any real understanding of the technical aspects of their products -that hinders profitability.

Management at L-3 should recognize that it takes a fundamental understanding of the technology to reduce costs, arbitrary layoffs, buyouts, and substituting less experienced and lower paid employees to fill required positions, doesn't translate into profitability.

Ok experience.

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

Decent pay and benefit packages

Cons

Poor work life balance and potential

you need to be the known person there.

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

I have a good relationship with my co workers.

Cons

unless you are the "known", you wont know if there is opportunities in the company.

Small company trying to learn to be part of a large company

Current Employee - Contract Administrator
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

L-3 for the most part let's the company run it's own business. The fact that it is a large company allows for more opportunities, connections and resources. Locations all over the United States offers lots of job options.

Cons

At my particular facility there is little leadership or direction. The training for people in my field is limited and kept to one training synopsis per year. You can do individual training/education at my facility, but there is not a corporate training program that is established. Even the ability to do individual education has been limited and is now often being denied for people. We started out as a small privately owned company. When we were acquired, there was little guidance or help from the big L-3 to make the transition to being part of a large publically owned corporation. As a result, we are limping along having a hard time moving forward.

More focus on change management, leadership development and career building at your many subsidiaries.

Business development analyst

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

Salary, benefits, admin, and bonus

Cons

Government restrictions, red tapes, etc

SInking Ship!!!

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

Better than average base compensation and internal career movement. Latest group of VPs are more open to personal and professional development. Also, there's the annual christmas party.

Cons

Poor office culture, lack of on-board training, too many political traps, lack of functional support, and no idea of what a "team" is. Every function works in a silo and doesn't communicate with anyone (even within the same department). No one wants to accept responsibility for anything. You're encouraged not to "rock the boat" or be aggressive.

Every aspect of the division and company as a whole needs to be revisited. You need documented policies, standards, and procedures. If you're going to hold someone (at any level) to a standard, make sure they have all the proper tools and resources to implement and maintain that standard.

L-3 Communications Photos

Reston, VA headquarters of L-3 Communications (Photo thanks to Flickr user Matthew and Tracie, available under by-nc-nd/2.0)
SATCOM compound