L-3/IS

John C. McNellis

Challenge, rewarding and frustrating

Current Employee - Engineering in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Waco, TX

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

L3 PID Waco, Tx has opportunity for advancement, family oriented, concerned with balance of work and family

Cons

Challenges as any company grows people resist change when they see it as a threat to their established and familiar life at work. They are used to their routines and patterns of behavior and may be concerned about their ability to cope with new demands. Everything flows and nothing abides; everything gives way and nothing is fixed. See change as an opportunity. Remember that change is a necessary thread in the fabric of life.

The primary function of management in profit-making firms is to satisfy a range of stakeholders.
    This means making a profit and creating value for shareholders, producing and delivering valued products and services at a reasonable cost for customers, and providing rewarding employment and development opportunities for employees.
    The resources – people, are not always given the opportunities to achieve advancement, due to favoritisms (connected). Thus, managers miss opportunities to accomplish effective use of resources, and delivering value to the company and customers.

Enjoyed my job, but not the location

Former Employee - Software Engineering Coop in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Coop in Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3/IS as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the job. My manager was very nice and did his best to shield his employees from upper management's crap. I enjoyed the work I did, and as a Co-Op, it was nice to know that I was trusted with important projects. I learned a ton, and the people I worked with were super helpful. The majority of the people in my group had worked there for 10+ years, so I guess they like the job.

Cons

The security clearance is a huge pain in the butt. It was cool at first - but the novelty wore off after a few weeks. Working in a closed area really sucks, because of all the things you can't do (like use the internet on your development machine, or bring your iPod to work). All the security rules tended to get in the way of productivity.
    I also hated the location. I found it very hard to find people my own age in Greenville, and there is pretty much nothing to do in that town. The nearest liquor store is literally 30 miles away.

Good place to work, but has its cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

multiple benefit packages to choose from, a new employee is given 120 hours of PTO. Multiple company sponsored events a year. Fairly easy to move around within the company. When strong the job offers plenty of work and hours. competitive pay. Lower management is fairly open to ideas and new procedures.

Cons

high lay off threat, upper management does not seem to really reflect the ideas of the production employees, HR will hardly resolve any problem. Has definitely lost its executive to employee relationship. They tend to shoot themselves in the foot with audits by creating policies to strict to abide by.

Loosen up the chains and listen more to the little people

Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

compensation is above average with liberal opportunities across the corporate structure, I enjoy the 9/80 flex work schedule with every other Friday off

Cons

Company focus can be hard to discover at times and sometime lose our path forward, promotions do not place large value to current employer job knowledge

Take the time to uncover all that you currently have and how to capitalize with reduced learn curves

Great Company, Great People

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, great benefits, good pay. A lot of room for growth and improvement. Ability to gain different ideas, perspectives and experience from the people around you. I haven't worked another day since I started here.

Cons

Upper management direction is sometimes confusing. They tell you one thing and do another. Also clear direction on what the correct process is doesn't exist. Learn as you go method for policies and procedures.

Honest communication is key, make sure everyone from the top down is aware of the concrete practices in place. Everyone wants to do the right thing, just let us know what it is.

Fun place to work if you like chaos

Former Employee - Engineer in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waco, TX

I worked at L-3/IS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work is exciting and the people are great. The time off is comparable to other companies in the industry.

Cons

Good ole boy club. Very chaotic atmosphere. Some like the lack of processes and procedures, but I found I tough to work in this environment. You could ask 5 different people how to do something and get 5 different answers. Not the best way to do business. The facilities are terrible. Space is limited and engineers are crammed into cubes that where meant for one.

Be sure everyone is marching to the same drum, particularly upper management. Look into a virtual office policy for those that could do much of their work from home.

Fun place to work, Very challenging engineering problems with interesting applications.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3/IS as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Very challenging and interesting engineering problems, huge base of extremely talented and smart employees. Great pay for interns with 401k and full benefits package. Great sense of making a difference.

Cons

Highly political. Sense of oppression from upper management, with little recognition for what is done. LOTS of overtime.

Changes to flex hours policies and hours tracking have made the work environment feel rather oppressive. Employees are under a sense of paranoia to not accidentally do something 'wrong' due to extreme punishments by upper management with little to no warning. Also, many people in my group complained of not getting big enough pay raises, especially after one coworker left the company and got a 50% pay raise at a different company. Talk to your 'front line' engineers about their grievances. Ask them directly how they feel instead of encouraging an environment of feeling not listened to.

Your best talent is leaving you right under your nose. It's time to wake up and make changes if you hope to keep future talent!

There is a need to move from the 20th century into the 21st century if you want to continue to be successful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3/IS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a tremendous amount of opportunity to improve the current processes both in the business and IT.

Cons

The lack of willingness to move forward with new technology and best business practices is very disheartening for anyone with applicable vision for the organization.

There is a reason why most other A&D companies consistently keep their current platforms up to date. They INCLUDE Best Practices within the updated platforms and architecture. Customization within the ERP solutions are OK but at a very low level.

Not the best experience.

I worked at L-3/IS full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent. There is hardly ever traffic to contend with getting to work. The flex schedule is convenient and there are some nice people.

Cons

Not a good place for women to work. It doesn't matter how smart you are or how hard you work if you are a female. More employees are focused on individual performance rather than teamwork. Managers make a lot of very poor decisions.

Start rewarding those that work hard. A lot of really good employees end up leaving because they don't feel appreciated.

They grade your work product based on how much they and the customer like you vs. the quality of your work.

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Greenville, TX

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great family atmosphere for those, who plan on spending their entire career working at L-3/IS and never moving from Greenville, Texas to explore areas, products, or career opportunities outside of L-3/IS.

Cons

If you are hired to use your expertise with you that you gained over the course of your career and if you try to show a better way or if you try to change existing procedures so they work better, you can lose your job if you unknowingly expose irregularities and try to correct them. Never cross the L-3 family or the customer or you will find yourself outside looking in.

Do not let the GAO audit the company's procedures too closely especially including how well procedures are followed.