L-3 Stratis Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
3.3

CEO

Pros
  • Management team provides outstanding leadership and shows that they are truly concerned about the employees (in 4 reviews)

• Average to good benefits, not a lot management overhead (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • 401k contribution has recently been reduced from 5% to 4% (in 2 reviews)

• Lack of communication when job is coming to an end (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Non-challening, still in the dark ages. Just converted over to Windows 7 in the enterprise, and Outlook 2010.

Current Employee - Support Lead in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Support Lead in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work - Great team - good, hard workers. Good management team.

Cons

staying sane - customer not educated in computers at all.

Better training for IT Manager position.

L-3 Treatment of employees

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Great people
    Highly respected by the NASA community

Cons

L-3 knew 3 weeks before telling me that I had no task to charge to, and waited until the end of the Fiscal Year. Found out on Tuesday, September 30th that I had no work on Wednesday.

Don't be such Cowards!

Jury still out

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The folks I work with and for are excellent. We have interesting technology to work on.It's been too soon since when have been purchased by L3 to fairly determine pros and cons.

Cons

It's been too soon since when have been purchased by L3 to fairly determine pros and cons. I will revise in six months.

Would work with L3 again

Current Employee - Geospatial in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Geospatial in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at L-3 Stratis as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

With any company it's all about the employees. The better your co-workers the better experience you'll have. L3 provided education when I wanted it. It was a regular 8 to 4pm job, however, they allowed me to work extra hours earlier on in the week if I needed to leave a bit early for personal reason. I was fortunate to work with great people who took pride in what we did.

Cons

The office space we worked in was a bit cramped; however, this was completely out of L3s control

Continue caring.

Good Company

Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair, straight forward company. Awesome benefits; Opportunities to advance.

Cons

You may or may not experience Program Management rotations.

Always be clear and concise regarding job requirements/ duties.

Good

I worked at L-3 Stratis as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good experience, great benefits.

Cons

Long hours, not much area to move up

Keep in tune with their employee.

It is a good company to work for with many locations and job fields available.

I worked at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked for and with were solid,dependable and incredibly supportive. They preferred to promote from within, increasing employee loyalty and satisfaction.

Cons

The unit was shifted between several departments, changing the benefits each time, which was annoying. Being separated from the support units such as travel and payroll could be challenging.

Continue to keep knowledgable, supportive people in your leadership (program manager) positions and you'll continue to attract quality people.

Where you fill a position on a contract and that is all.

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I would recommend L-3 over General Dynamics. Apart from that, everything positive about working where I work has to do with the customer and not the company.

Cons

You are detached from the L-3 corporate mothership and easily forgotten. It's easy to forget you actually work for L-3 and not your customer.

Working on a contract you are very limited in terms of career growth and advancement. Most moves are horizontal within the same organization.

Because you simply fill a billet the managers will not help you advance your career. They are only concerned with the task they manage and operate in little bubble.

Benefits are cut in some way every year.

Decent pay but it tops out quickly. Based on my own experience and research if you want to determine your max pay potential get a copy of the SOW. You will not be paid more than 50% of what L-3 bills the customer.

Good luck being sent to training...

Despite being touted heavily by corporate, bonus programs are at the discretion of local managers and based on my experience are negated to save the company money.

It is obvious L-3 leadership doesn't care what is going on as long as they are making money. Any advice would fall on deaf ears.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer
    Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer

I worked at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were in line with most contract companies. I enjoyed the floating holidays and the flex spending account benefits most. The corporate HR team were very helpful in making sure benefits were easy to use.

Cons

Since this was a government contract position we didn't have onsite management, just supervisors. They weren't always the most helpful with getting paperwork completed. I also didn't like having to write my own employee review just to be told it wasn't correct.

If the management team really wanted to get a clear picture of goals and accomplishments, they should have more involvement in the process than just once a year.

Financial professionals beware!

Current Employee - In Finance
    Current Employee - In Finance

I have been working at L-3 Stratis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you live in close proximity to Reston, the Town Center is a nice place to work.

Cons

Finance personnel beware. At Stratis, SOX is what you wear to keep your feet warm and GAAP is where you can purchase jeans. There is a decidedly loose interpretation of regulations and even internal policies when they are coming up behind forecast for a month. Somehow changing revenue method in the middle of the contract to achieve their forecast one month then changing the method again the next month to achieve their forecast seems perfectly acceptable to management, as long as they make their numbers. The workload is also tremendous as the last few years in order to achieve year end targets, a large number of employees are let go. Work hard and don't ask questions is the theme of the financial community here.

Save the overhead dollars required for ethics training for the finance staff, you don't practice anything have in that training. Hire more college kids, they don't know the rules they're being asked to break on a regular basis.