L. A. Care Health Plan

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Howard A. Kahn

This is a great place to work and to grow in the public health industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people. Constant learning environment

Cons

Organization Structure and processees needs improvement

LA Care - The Good and the Bad

I worked at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time

Pros

The company's mission is fantastic!!! They believe in providing quality healthcare to those that need it. Healthcare is a right - not a privilege!!!

Cons

The interview process and favoritism that happens is not great. Poor management with too much power in key roles.

It's evolving rapidly, and it's an exciting time to work here

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want an interesting and rewarding work experience knowing that what you do will really help others then this is the place for you. There's lots of diversity and recently leadership rolled out an employee fitness program that makes it fun to move more. And there is a different restaurant that comes in every day so you can buy lunch on premises. As far as benefits we have good ones, the pay is fine for most jobs, we get PTO instead of sick or vacation days which lets you use it without pinpointing what you did on your time off. The retirement plan and match is pretty good. We're going through huge changes because of Obamacare and its an exciting time to be at L.A. Care. It's evolving rapidly into a new and different organization. Kinda of like a bud blossoming.

Cons

Not managing changes well. Right now there is a lot of hiring going on which is good, but because we've run out of space it means people are having to move and sometimes into smaller spaces. So there's a bit of upheaval. The CEO is leaving and we just got a new HR head who's trying to prove himself so there's some adjustment to make. He was hot on not wearing open toed shoes recently. Once all the dust settles next year we should be stronger than ever.

Show up at all staff meetings so we know who you are. There have been so many people hired in management that we don't know who is who any more. Let staff know more about what plans are for the future and what direction we are headed. Seems like sometimes there is no captain or crew steering the ship.

Lots of oppurtunity

Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Salary, Perks , Good location, Work Life Balance

Cons

Politics, Being a Health Care plan , company depends heavily on consultants, Technology is moving at a slow pace, can do better if the management adopts new technologies

NA

LA Care review

I worked at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time

Pros

The people here are very nice and willing to help out. The mission is for a good cause to provide much needed health insurance.

Cons

The salaries are very low and not competitive to the outside market. Many people have to take large pay cuts to work here. There is a lot of turn over in many of the departments. Managers seem to drop of the race in working there, but HR seems to have a great turn over rate as well. To many policy and procedures much more than needed to get the job done.

Better training for management and develop and work life balance for the hard working employees. Perhaps letting employees work from home once a week.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan

Pros

The Mission is what drives the work and production. benefits package us decent lots of learning opportunities as well college reimbursement.

Cons

No direction,lack diversity, morale slowly decreasing.

Talk to the people that work they are the ones that have to implement the flawed ideas.

Watch out for the Medical Payment Systems and Services group

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L. A. Care Health Plan as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good business end-users to work with

Cons

Everybody seems to be afraid of the director. From day one I knew she was a non-technical manager and as a technical person that's always a challenge. Access was not granted to SQL Server, MS Access shares and the manager was blaming me. There was also no teamwork from the existing female developers there. It was a very distrusting and back-stabbing environment. Absolutely the worst job I ever had. If you like MS Access they'll be doing it for a very very long time because the director there has no concept of enterprise software. Eventually it will blow up in their face.

stop micromanaging, be more open to technology, create more of a team-building environment, hire a technical manager.

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Firm is in a unique position within the medical/health insurance industry. Quasi government. Defined benefit pension plan. Work/Life balance.

Cons

Growth due to Obamacare has caused structural and operational confusion.

Tread carefully. No mistakes please. Especially on tech investments.

A troubled company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, good benefits and PTO

Cons

Rumors persist of outsourcing and the possibility that the LA Care contract might not be renewed with LA County. Management has forced employees to use the new core IT system since last year despite many serious bugs and its inability to process claims, causing major employee dissatisfaction. Current CEO has announced his departure and has mentally left the building

Be honest with the employees--why have the last three all-hands meeting been cancelled with no explanation? What are of these consultants doing and why do you feel that employees are not deserving of any explanation.

Good learning opportunity, however, there is currently a level of disarray as the company is rapidly expanding

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to wear multiple hats, autonomy, great place to learn

Cons

Somewhat disorganized and inefficient, lacking well structured procedures, over delegates to external vendors

L. A. Care Health Plan Photos