L.A. Tan Reviews

CEO

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norridge, IL

I worked at L.A. Tan part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free tanning, part time schedule.

Cons

There is really no room to move up and grow with company. It is a minimum wage job, best suited for students.

Advice to Management

Make room for Assistant Managers and Store Managers so that your sales associates can grow with company.

2. Part-Time Employee

Pros

Free tanning, discounts on lotions

Cons

Catty atmosphere, long shifts, work alone, labor intensive.

Advice to Management

I would have at least two employees working at all times to ensure safety and proper customer service.

3. sales associate

I have been working at L.A. Tan part-time

Pros

I honestly have nothing bad to say about working at LA Tan, it's a pretty low-stress job and the work environment is great. All of my coworkers have been very friendly and positive. In my experience, the managers and owners actually care about their employees and try to work around anything you have going on (school, etc.) Free tanning is awesome as well :)

Cons

With any customer service job there will be some issues dealing with rude customers, it's something that you learn how to deal with though! Also when you work shifts alone and it gets busy it can be stressful, but nothing too bad.

Advice to Management

Management is really good I really have nothing negative to say. Just maintain consistent communication with employees and there will be no problems!

5. Not what I expected.

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant

Pros

Free tanning, discounted lotions and other products, lots of customer interaction.

Cons

You really aren't paid enough to do the work they want you to. The constant push to sell people things they do that want, kinda pushes customers away. We also never had the cleaning supplies we needed and the specific owner of our store always stole money from the drop or drawer. Great way to learn customer service but not much else.

Advice to Management

Train everyone better!

6. Great fun company to work with!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at L.A. Tan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent entry level opportunity in better work environment, For good employees better growth to manage a salon or multiple salons. Employee friendly events thought the year. Absolutely FREE tanning goes with the perks.. Bonus structure is easy to achieve.

Cons

Can do better with the start pay for salon employees/manager. Have to be very Consistent with schedule as if you don't show up, salon doesn't open and you get a write up..

Advice to Management

Invest in appearance of the salon. Invest in employee growth factor with better pay/bonus structure.

Really and you call this customer service.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Puyallup, WA

I worked at L.A. Tan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prices, oh wait. I'm sorry no one knows the prices at any salon here because it's a rip off.

Cons

They send you discounts you can't use or somehow they are not in their computer and then blame the customer like they are the idiots.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Your employees need personal one on one training on how good quality customer service works.

8. What a joke

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Occasionally fun company events, free tanning and fun product trainings.

Cons

This company is so unorganized. It's near impossible to get what you need to do your job properly. Even with commissions the pay is so low.

no recognition of good work

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Palos Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Palos Hills, IL

I worked at L.A. Tan part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free tanning and fun atmosphere

Cons

can't call in sick last minute, hard to get time off

Advice to Management

show appreciation to workers

10. Great high school job, nothing more

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at L.A. Tan part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-can usually get outside work done -great experience to learn customer service & general sales

Cons

-no pay increase -weekend hours -no promotions

Advice to Management

-connect with employees more, maybe some have potential to get to corporate level

11. Easy work, but high stress and you don't make much money.

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Milton, WA

I worked at L.A. Tan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to plan life around schedules, since I worked the opening shift. You get free tans and occasionally free lotions too!

Cons

I was always told by my manager that "the sky is your limit" on salary, but it was all false promises. You get commission and monthly bonuses if you sell enough product, but they take away the opportunity to get a monthly bonus if there is a sale that particular month. And the percentages of commission plus minimum wages are nothing to brag about. I'd say on average I made $10 an hour after commission was added in. I worked at a smaller salon, and mainly saw regulars who didn't need to buy new product. Also, it's hard to work for a company when your other coworkers/management hate their jobs. The cons outweigh any perks. On two occasions my paychecks were falsely written, with commission "accidentally" being omitted. It took over a week for corporate to fix it. On two other occasions my paychecks actually bounced in my checking account after I deposited them, because corporate wrote the checks wrong again, and my bank charged me fees which LA Tan did not make up for. On top of all that, it was very hard to deal with customer issues. There was an outdated computer system that you could use to email corporate about customer complaints, issues, etc but corporate RARELY fixed any issues and you were left with an angry customer in your salon who you really couldn't help. The branch manager had an office in my location and he would get really annoyed when I tried to ask about fixing any customer issues.

Advice to Management

You need better organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed