L.L. Bean
www.llbean.com Freeport, ME 1000 to 5000 Employees

L.L. Bean Reviews in Freeport, ME

Updated Mar 12, 2014
L.L. Bean – Freeport – “The Bootmobile!”

L.L. Bean President and CEO Chris McCormick

Chris McCormick

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

just a job

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEmployee store, employee discount, Rangeley camps

ConsHours, working Sundays, pay drop, lost hours

Honest Review

Supply Chain Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEmployee discount, free gym, great co-workers, bonus program.

ConsManagers are incompetent, lack people skills, and think harsh, unconstructive criticism is "good feedback". Management style is to bully and intimidate, focusing on negatives. Nothing is confidential. Employee expectations are unrealistic and work life balance is non-existent. Toxic, unhealthy, stressful, culture. L.L. Bean isn't what it portrays itself to be in the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are serious problems within the organization. Fix it. Talent is running for the door. Start by looking at management. When half a managers staff leaves within 6 months of each other it's a big red flag.

Overall employement has been ok considering my age and lack of growth needs.

Floor Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at L.L. Bean

ProsThere are many and various opportunities withing the corporate structure and the benefits at that level are many.

ConsThere is little focus on growing the knowledge base or the seniority base in the floor level of the retail business. Very little is being done to progress the loyalty of the ground level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old axiom of "treat your employees correctly and provide them with training and support and they will take care of the business" seems to be a lost art here. There have been too many instances of employees being "thrown under the bus" for the sake of showing the power of management.

The HR department HAS to be REFOCUSED on being advocates of the employees rather than its' present approach of covering for the business.

There is much verbage about the company's value in the employees, BUT the actions do not support the words.

frustrating

IS Technologist (Former Employee)

I worked at L.L. Bean

ProsCo-Workers, Heritage, Discount, Borrowing Equipment, Camp usage.

ConsThe toughest challenge working at Bean's is the need to wait for someone to die (Literally or figuratively) in order to move up.
Lack of management support for their own initiatives.
Too many priorities. Everything is a priority, and balance is something rarely achievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNarrow your focus. You cannot focus on multiple things at once.
Nurture the talent you already have, that way all of your designers and tech people might not leave en-mass.
Don't tell people that your appreciate 360 degree feedback, and then lop of their heads when they provide it. Very unprofessional.
Stop promoting people because they're your friend.

A fun, fast paced environment to work in

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at L.L. Bean

ProsGood people, good managers, employee discount rocks

Conslong term, bored associates suck the energy out of seasonals. Rotate seasonals around to different departments and bring the good ones back as generalists who can help you anywhere. Pay your retail floor managers better. They are your unsung heroes.

Advice to Senior Managementreward your long term employees better so they can be ambassadors for seaonals they are the best judges of whom you should consider keeping when the season ends.

It's a great place to work

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at L.L. Bean

ProsGood work/life balance, nice people, casual working environment. Company makes a good product and stands by it's products, so you can feel proud to work here.

ConsSometimes it seems disorganized, there are a lot of initiatives going on at the same time, and if sometimes feels like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Intern work, but treated like teammember

IS/IT Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at L.L. Bean

ProsReal family atmosphere. Great discounts at L. L. Bean. Freeport is great place to live.

ConsAlmost everyone working there is over 45 years old, have been working there a long time. Some seem to forget how good they have it and end up complaining a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get younger.

not happy

I have been working at L.L. Bean

Prosthey offer good benefits but the management makes it not worth working there....i am not happy with the manangemtn.

Consthe management is not trained and does not know what they are doing. There is no room for improvement and do not get much time for family.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to do your job. allow room for improvement, and allow your employees to have some time with family.

Friendly and knowledgeable coworkers that work hard to exceed customer needs & expectations.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFamily & outdoor recreation oriented
Good discounts
Low level management receptive to new ideas
Above average and motivated staff makes for a pleasant work day

ConsAs a mid sized business LLBean is extremely slow to innovate new ideas. It's a very conservative company that been served well with this style of management.
Advancement within the company is difficult
Is trending towards a younger workforce by pushing out older, more knowledgeable staff

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that the economy and company are back on the upswing increase your training of employees and mid level management. PROMOTE from within as well as bringing outside talent.

A truly great place to work

I have been working at L.L. Bean

ProsCompany values; view employees as family; fantastic work/life balance; clear commitment to fostering professional development; leaders genuinely care about the success of their employees; fantastic benefits; a company that is trying very hard to navigate a tough economic time of change while always thinking of its stakeholders (employees, customers, environment, etc.).

ConsSlightly lower compensation than if outside of the state of Maine; mid-level leadership in operational areas is improving, but still has some ways to go. Ongoing change management in a competitive, difficult economic environment is resulting in an emphasis on increased efficiency - a good thing, in my opinion, but one that some longer-term employees find difficult to adjust to.

Worked for L.L. Bean? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L.L. Bean reviews and ratings in Freeport, ME — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L.L. Bean CEO Chris McCormick. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by L.L. Bean employees.