L.L. Bean
www.llbean.com Freeport, ME 1000 to 5000 Employees

L.L. Bean Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
L.L. Bean – Freeport – “The Bootmobile!”

L.L. Bean President and CEO Chris McCormick

Chris McCormick

Pros:
  • "They encourage you to enjoy the outdoors by giving you a 40% employee discount on most merchandise"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Working environment is good and most colleagues are friendly and quite helpful"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bean is a nice place to work, there is barely any room for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is no room for improvement and do not get much time for family"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Enjoyed the Job but its down to metrics

Seasonal Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Dedham, MA

Pros- Great Coworkers
    - Management, and people in the corporate management seem to truly care about what can be done to improve the experience for customers as well as make things easy for the employees.
    - good discounts on nice products
    - mostly awesome customers
    - I received a "bonus" just for being a seasonal employee! Even though it was a nominal amount, it was very much appreciated and made me feel valued

ConsI haven't received a request to re-interview for a new seasonal position even through there have been a few. I have applied and when I followed up I was told that my metrics weren't sufficient for re-hire in the same role.

There is a lot of pressure on the customer service side. We were told if there were two complaints about any employee, there was a move toward termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of emphasis was put on OAP (credit card sign ups) and email retention - email retention was important for tracking receipts and inventory control. (L.L. Bean does not have a time limit on returns). Metrics for OAP's and Email retentions were frequently posted via email and in the break room. I noted I was above average though not the highest.. I was a little disappointed that gift cards were not used as a performance metric since I managed to sell them to many customers while the free $10 gift card with $50 purchase promotion was going on. When customers came close to qualifying I always suggested purchasing a gift card to "double" their value.

I thought I had worked hard to provide good customer service while also building a friendly rapport and ensuring the customer was getting exactly what they wanted or needed from the company. My metrics were always above average in the areas of OAP and email retention. There was much emphasis placed on customer service, loss prevention, inventory accuracy and customer service and this was the priority of my focus.

As a programmer analyst / business systems analyst by trade I would be remiss if I didn't offer the following idea for improvement:

What might help others is if there is a tool associates can access which advise them of transaction times, sales times, and OAP progress so that associates can compare themselves to store targets and the average store employee. Such an application could also identify some training tips to help increase cart sizes and streamline the sales.

In hindsight, it would have been helpful for me to be made aware if I was above average or below in the transaction speed category as well as a target metric to reach with further training. I realize this may not always be possible during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season but I was willing to give as much as I could to the company just to stay on.

Ok - I also wish there were more corporate tech opportunities in Massachusetts for the company.

Thank you for reading.

Great Company

ProsThe company lives its values. Respect for people, outdoors heritage, stakeholder concept, etc. People are treated well, there are opportunities to advance, and the environment is generally positive. Obviously, this differs somewhat by group/department, but overall, most everyone seems to be proud to work here. Compensation is good, and work/life balance is valued.

ConsIt's a somewhat conservative or risk-adverse company, so change doesn't usually happen quickly. People who prefer a more agile/reactive business environment might get frustrated here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging up seems to be more valued than how a leader manages down. Paying more attention to that could greatly improve morale where it's lacking.

Have been with the company under a year. So far so good!

Burlington, MA

Pros100% Customer Satisfaction. Product that is sold is a quality product. Team feeling between all associates and management levels. Discount if amazing. Bonus even for part-time seasonal. With the 100% customer satisfaction the push back from customers in almost zero, which in turn helps the morale of the associates and the customers.

ConsSlow process to advance to permanent part-time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule time for training, leaving it up to associates to train at the same time they are scheduled on the floor, creates conflict with associates that are left handling 2 jobs instead of one, even if for a short time. Otherwise, keep going your doing a great job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place, questionable leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork/life balance
    Strong core values
    Really smart people
    Great opportunity to learn

ConsSelect senior leaders treat people inappropriately and unfairly. It's a culture of fear and that reduces the opportunity for innovation and risk-taking.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the ones creating a toxic environment once and for all.

Excellent company with terrific values, loyal customers, and amazing brand equity

ProsAny time you see someone say "no room for advancement" in L.L. Bean they clearly don't do their job correctly. They prefer to promote internally and do so VERY often. If you work hard and represent the values the company stands for you're going to be successful. This is the only retailer I would work for.

ConsPays well but wish it paid a little better and saying "Yes" to 99% of customers even though they abuse the policy gets old. Amazing to see what type of trash people are out there.

Good place to work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat flexibility for working mom. Good discount and perks, company wide gifts and bonuses. Usually a good work environment. Mostly fast paced and need to global throughout the store. Most leaders are energetic, caring, approachable and hands on!

ConsThe hourly wages are being lowered year after year for hourly workers. Instead of a raise, we are now getting pay cuts. Not much incentive for hard working people! Not enough room or opportunities for advancement if you live outside of the Freeport campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees! Instead of giving away your profits to every crook that returns their 10 year old jackets, boots, tents, etc...give your employees a decent wage that matches the world class service they are expected and willingly give each and every day!

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsManagement always available and very positive attitude. They make the job enjoyable. Coworkers work as a team and willing to help whenever possible.

ConsIn off season, during summer months hours are very sporadic and not able to get many hours.

Seasonal work is varied and fast-paced.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe perks, such as the Employee Store and retail discount are pretty good. The overall environment of the company is positive and inclusive.

ConsIt can be difficult to advance from seasonal to regular employment.

L.L. Bean is the most amazing company you will ever work for.

Retail Store Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Freeport, ME

ProsThere is an excellent home/work balance. They encourage you to enjoy the outdoors by giving you a 40% employee discount on most merchandise. They have an employee use room where you can borrow or rent at a very low price most of the merchandise they sell. They have employee exercise rooms with state of the art equipment. There are camps on Rangeley Lake for employees to enjoy at very low rental rates. They outdoor experience schools so you can gain more knowledge in out door activities. They uphold strong company values. They are a privately owned company.

ConsOnly people who live in New England states can work for L.L. Bean because that is where the stores are located.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expand to state like Wyoming, Colorado, Montana.

No room for advancement within corporate, Some work hard, while others hardly work

Freeport, ME

ProsGood benefits, discount and employee perks.

ConsNo room for advancement. Large amount of inefficiencies and corporate BS to keep from getting work done. People hired for positions not trusted to do their job, constant opinions and approvals needed to do one small thing. Decision makers never ask the people who actually do the job for their feedback, before changing processes and effecting their work. Incompetent leaders, promoting even more incompetent managers. The ones that are truly innovative and do the hard work, are never recognized or rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat and look at competence and skill set of corporate office managers.

Worked for L.L. Bean? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L.L. Bean reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L.L. Bean CEO Chris McCormick. All 125 reviews posted anonymously by L.L. Bean employees.