L.L. Bean Reviews

Reset
3.9
L.L. Bean President and CEO Chris McCormick
Chris McCormick

Pros
  • They encourage you to enjoy the outdoors by giving you a 40% employee discount on most merchandise (in 17 reviews)

• Compensation is good, and work/life balance is valued (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bean is a nice place to work, there is barely any room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• There is NO room for growth from a part-time sales position (in 7 reviews)

1. Full Time Seasonal

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewiston, ME

Pros

Flexible - nothing like giving all your hours away to enjoy some time off. Management is trained - they don't just throw a random, incapable person in place without training first. Everyone has someone above them. This keeps people accountable, meeting standards, etc. It's a good thing. Cost of Living raises, yearly. Clean, nice environment (break room), someone cleaning bathrooms throughout the day. If you have a complaint they listen and try to make accommodations when possible. Great job keeping up with a working computer system that is convenient, capable and can do many things - seems to grow every year, but yes, everyone has crashes, errors on computers, etc. PERFUME FREE! Need I say more! I have seen someone appropriately be sent home for their scent. - Bah. They want to be considered a good place to work so try to accommodate employees.

Cons

The job itself - Customer Service - I don't like people. Im not patient and I don't care what color you wear, or look good in. So many lonely, elderly customers. Working on phones, placing orders is monotonous, repetitive, and boring. If you don't like to talk, or don't like small talk, this job is not for you. After 5 years, I can't stand the monotony any longer. If there is a God, I will have a new job by October. Year round employees are whiners - they don't know how good they have it. They aren't allowed to refill the water station, or decorate the breakroom UNLESS they are properly trained. They may get hurt by lifting the water inappropriately, or place a holiday tree too close to the gas fireplace and cause a fire. Come on people! They are treated like Princes/Princesses. At my other non-LLBean job my 40 year old chair is tipped to one side, they prefer you don't take breaks and if you clock out and work later, that's okay, too. Seasonal employees don't get seniority! 25 years on? Too bad! You get crap hours like the new-bees. Seasonal get a bonus of $25 - $35 during the season. It's so small you don't notice the amount combined in with your regular paycheck. Come on! Seriously? Oh, but the upper management who make loads of money do pass out one shriveled clementine per person during the extremely busy, Million Dollar per hour month in Dec. I feel like Oliver asking for more mush.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the seasonal employees and they'd probably return more regularly. A $100 bonus would be nothing for them to hand out, but a lot to us peons. Right, Chris McCormick? Hire me at a full time, fun job. I've had it with call centers. They are modern day factories.

2. Sales associate

I have been working at L.L. Bean part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, positive working environment makes you want to excel. Management is understanding and appreciative. You get recognized for doing a great job here.

Cons

there are no cons that I have experienced

3. Temp position at LLBEAN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonie, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonie, NY

I worked at L.L. Bean part-time

Pros

The store management is very accommodating to your schedule. Customers are generally very pleasant. Peers are very helpful in training new employees. Pay isn't bad for part time work.

Cons

Does have some elements of retail that can become tiresome after awhile such as pushing the visa card at the register, but even that is not too bad once you've gotten used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Definitely one of the better run retail stores I have seen in quite some time.

5. L.L. Bean

Former Employee - Client Support Representative I in Freeport, ME
    Former Employee - Client Support Representative I in Freeport, ME

I worked at L.L. Bean full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management takes very good care of employees. Support is there whenever it is needed, whether it's computer equipment, training or team issues. I sensed great respect from virtually all levels of management and co-workers. A place I could work at forever.

Cons

Scheduling is an issue...LL asks employees to have great flexibility in their availability for work. At times the company seems inflexible around this issue.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep up the great work in taking care of employees and their needs.

6. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dedham, MA

I worked at L.L. Bean part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers and the experience I had working for this excellent company. Group interview took any questions I had away, was relaxed environment, had enthusiastic reception.

Cons

Sometimes scheduling was not the best, as a seasonal worker it wasn't too bad. A generous return policy sometimes had its drawbacks, a few times customers got angry when they referenced our satisfaction guarantee policy, however they not had purchased their items from L.L.Bean.

Advice to Management

Please give the workers who are older more hours! If they are working there, they must really love your company and what it stands for, at least in my experience.

7. Inv Mgr

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I worked at L.L. Bean (More than a year)

Pros

People are great. Benefits are good.

Cons

Too many meetings. Not a good use of time in many cases.

Great Company, Even Greater People

Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME

Pros

The people who work here are the greatest coworkers I have ever had. Love for the outdoors means you are encouraged to explore and try new and exciting things both during, and before and after work. Work life balance is paramount to the company and to individual employees.

Cons

Antiquated structure and way of doing things. Older average age of employee than in most metro-area companies. Outdated systems and slow moving processes can sometimes be frustrating, but 100+ years of success is difficult to argue with.

Advice to Management

Ensure the upper mid-level management still engages with their employees, and are able to focus on managing. Continue to do much of what you are currently doing, especially remaining visible and in tune with all functional areas of the company.

9. All the employees where super nice and friendly

I worked at L.L. Bean part-time

Pros

Greatdiscount, friendly work enviroment, flexable work hours.

Cons

you may not get the hours you are looking for if it is your first year working there seasonally

10. Seasonal Employee

Pros

The company offers great benefits, and the work is very easy. For a seasonal position in Maine, the pay is fairly good as well.

Cons

It can be very difficult to get 40 hours a week, and the day can certainly drag on, especially if there aren't very many calls coming in.

Advice to Management

Advance to the 21st century, and upgrade much of the paper process to be digital. Also be more open to suggestions by employees who are on the ground and know the process firsthand.

After 5 years I've found it to be so-so.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly Mainers who make great teammates. I like the community / team play aspect of working at L.LBean. The workplace politics are definitely there, like everywhere, but are a lot less in your face than at other employers. Interpersonal relationships are held at a high premium at L.L.Bean. About half dozen of my (soon to be former) co-workers will undoubtedly be lifelong friends. The Bean's Best program is a great idea.

Cons

In general, I enjoyed working at L.L.Bean. For an IS job, which can be extremely stressful at times, I found the level of stress at L.L.Bean to be a lot less, and people to be easier to deal with on the whole. I soured on the job after 3 years, due to the insulting process of attempting to move ahead in the company. L.L.Bean isn't the place for you if you have great technical skills and motivated towards career development. For technical jobs, your peers have a highly mixed level of experience, and across the IS department the lack of deep technical skills means that lots of people lean on people with better technical skills. Ironically, actual job achievement does not seem to be rewarded. Once in 5 years I received anything other than a standard 2% raise, and I found I was more capable/driven than the vast majority of my peers in IS. At previous employers this would have meant better overall compensation each year, but at L.L.Bean it meant exactly nothing at all. Advancement at L.L.Bean is nebulous and doesn't seem to be based on one's actual work experience or ability to get the job done. This is where politics became really apparent to me. I literally saw several terrible people get promoted, and was absolutely stunned; I get the part about interpersonal relationships and all, but there's a point where cronyism undermines the integrity that the company holds so dear. L.L.Bean has been doing some variant of employing people for over 100 years, and while I respect its longevity and treatment of the customer overall, I also can't help but to address its inflexibility. When you hear the company crowing about retaining talent, but then it won't meet talented people even half way when it comes to negotiating compensation or career development, you come to the conclusion that the company is a wolf after all. When I decided it was time to move on, there was a clear distinction between the flexibility offered by "new school" companies, and the antiquated/conservative nature of what L.L.Bean was doing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight in IS and streamline its management. Don't wait for a RIF to remove people who don't perform. While the community aspect of L.L.Bean is attractive, ultimately people are there as employees first, and part of the community second. Reboot the Bean's Best program; it's a wonderful idea, but winning Bean's Best is too far abstracted from top notch performance on the job. Oh yes, and as noted above, if you claim you want to retain talent, then practice what you preach!

RSS Feed </> Embed