L.L. Bean Reviews

Reset
4.0
L.L. Bean President and CEO Chris McCormick
Chris McCormick

Pros
  • They encourage you to enjoy the outdoors by giving you a 40% employee discount on most merchandise (in 17 reviews)

• Compensation is good, and work/life balance is valued (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bean is a nice place to work, there is barely any room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• There is NO room for growth from a part-time sales position (in 7 reviews)

Great Company, Even Greater People

Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean

Pros

The people who work here are the greatest coworkers I have ever had. Love for the outdoors means you are encouraged to explore and try new and exciting things both during, and before and after work. Work life balance is paramount to the company and to individual employees.

Cons

Antiquated structure and way of doing things. Older average age of employee than in most metro-area companies. Outdated systems and slow moving processes can sometimes be frustrating, but 100+ years of success is difficult to argue with.

Advice to Management

Ensure the upper mid-level management still engages with their employees, and are able to focus on managing. Continue to do much of what you are currently doing, especially remaining visible and in tune with all functional areas of the company.

2. Seasonal Employee

I worked at L.L. Bean

Pros

The company offers great benefits, and the work is very easy. For a seasonal position in Maine, the pay is fairly good as well.

Cons

It can be very difficult to get 40 hours a week, and the day can certainly drag on, especially if there aren't very many calls coming in.

Advice to Management

Advance to the 21st century, and upgrade much of the paper process to be digital. Also be more open to suggestions by employees who are on the ground and know the process firsthand.

After 5 years I've found it to be so-so.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly Mainers who make great teammates. I like the community / team play aspect of working at L.LBean. The workplace politics are definitely there, like everywhere, but are a lot less in your face than at other employers. Interpersonal relationships are held at a high premium at L.L.Bean. About half dozen of my (soon to be former) co-workers will undoubtedly be lifelong friends. The Bean's Best program is a great idea.

Cons

In general, I enjoyed working at L.L.Bean. For an IS job, which can be extremely stressful at times, I found the level of stress at L.L.Bean to be a lot less, and people to be easier to deal with on the whole. I soured on the job after 3 years, due to the insulting process of attempting to move ahead in the company. L.L.Bean isn't the place for you if you have great technical skills and motivated towards career development. For technical jobs, your peers have a highly mixed level of experience, and across the IS department the lack of deep technical skills means that lots of people lean on people with better technical skills. Ironically, actual job achievement does not seem to be rewarded. Once in 5 years I received anything other than a standard 2% raise, and I found I was more capable/driven than the vast majority of my peers in IS. At previous employers this would have meant better overall compensation each year, but at L.L.Bean it meant exactly nothing at all. Advancement at L.L.Bean is nebulous and doesn't seem to be based on one's actual work experience or ability to get the job done. This is where politics became really apparent to me. I literally saw several terrible people get promoted, and was absolutely stunned; I get the part about interpersonal relationships and all, but there's a point where cronyism undermines the integrity that the company holds so dear. L.L.Bean has been doing some variant of employing people for over 100 years, and while I respect its longevity and treatment of the customer overall, I also can't help but to address its inflexibility. When you hear the company crowing about retaining talent, but then it won't meet talented people even half way when it comes to negotiating compensation or career development, you come to the conclusion that the company is a wolf after all. When I decided it was time to move on, there was a clear distinction between the flexibility offered by "new school" companies, and the antiquated/conservative nature of what L.L.Bean was doing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight in IS and streamline its management. Don't wait for a RIF to remove people who don't perform. While the community aspect of L.L.Bean is attractive, ultimately people are there as employees first, and part of the community second. Reboot the Bean's Best program; it's a wonderful idea, but winning Bean's Best is too far abstracted from top notch performance on the job. Oh yes, and as noted above, if you claim you want to retain talent, then practice what you preach!

5. Fun positive place to work. Poor management though

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at L.L. Bean part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Everyone is very friendly. Team work is a must. Customers are generally very pleasant.

Cons

The management is the worst. Setting a schedule is such a mission I've called multiple times to be placed on the schedule, but nope. Obviously this company needs to train management more excessively on human resources.

Advice to Management

Actually follow up with employees on setting a legitimate schedule.

6. Company on the move

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hampton, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hampton, NH

I have been working at L.L. Bean

Pros

LLBean is a great place to work. If you have an interest in the outdoor apparel, (our outlet) then it is a fun place to work. If you have initiative you are able to eexperience diffent functions as a sales representative; learn a bit about the BOH (back of house), merchandising, and the mechanics of the business. Managers are flexible with scheduling. There is a lot of encouragement to participate in LLBean sanctioned activities, Outdoor Discovery School at the various outing sites.

Cons

Everyone, mostly everyone comes on as a seasonal employment hire. You have to get the flow of the business, I had never done retail before, and much of the busy peiods are nights and weekends.

7. Bean Review

I worked at L.L. Bean

Pros

Nice people, supportive management, bonus structure was nice. Enjoyed the environment created by staff

Cons

retail Your holiday season doesn't exist Constraints on stores by upper management can be seen. Also you get inconsistent effort from seasonal staff which makes work difficult when 80% of staff is seasonal

8. New hire.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at L.L. Bean part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process at L.L.Bean was very relaxed and comfortable and slightly fun. It was a group interview and the managers conducting the interview were, and are,very approachable and low key. Upon being hired, the minutiae of financials and personal info was quick and painless and my 401k application immediately on my doorstep.

Cons

At present, the store is undergoing a renovation, so understandably there is plenty of disorganization. The only drawback to that is there are too many "cooks in the kitchen", and too many communication gaps which makes things a bit confusing.

Advice to Management

More communication from everyone transferring shifts and tweaking the "rigging" in order to run a tighter ship.

9. Digital Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant coworkers and collaborative environment. They encourage employees to get outdoors and issue four outdoor days a year. Work life balance.

Cons

L.L.Bean employees speak their own language and it takes about a 18 months to fully understand the nuanced communication methods.

10. Sales

I worked at L.L. Bean

Pros

Great customers who share your love of the outdoors. The job makes you more passionate about being active and outdoorsy. There's always something to do.

Cons

Long hours. Sometimes the team has to stay late hours or come in early. Like any retail job, there can be good customers and bad. But there's enough positivity to keep it going.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. LL Bean is an awesome store that has built a solid reputation as one of the best places to indulge your inner outdoorsy nature.

11. Its not about sales

I worked at L.L. Bean part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of employees were friendly and easy to work with and get along with. Also there was an employee discount on everything in the store.

Cons

This was a brand new store. It opened on November 15th and I started on the 24th. In other words there were a lot of bugs to work out and there were problems in working out those bugs. The worst of these issues was not getting enough or getting too many hours. I was one who did not get enough hours.

Advice to Management

I do not propose to advise management on any aspect of the manner in the running of this store or how employees were treated.

RSS Feed </> Embed