L'Occitane
www.loccitane.com Aix-en-Provence, France 5000+ Employees

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger

Reinold Geiger

Pros:
  • "Great products, most stores are quite beautiful"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is easy to sell because it works"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh)"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A balloon, a cookie and a terrible job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProducts
    People at store level are nice
    Medical coverage for full time

ConsInability to do anything that will ever make upper management happy
    Bullying and favoritism- I have witnessed many good employees bullied and treated horribly for no good reason
    Vicious emails if the day is not made
    Micromanagement daily
    Inability to use sick or personal or vacation time without being scolded
    Treated like you are a child
    Write ups and verbal warnings for trivial things
    No work life balance
    Disorganized
    Not an open-door policy, you are on your own if you have a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you want to be treated.

Zero work-life balance with a hypocritical company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCompany attracts quality people (just can't retain them).
    40% discount

ConsManagers are just glorified sales associates, with absolutely zero authority. Can't interview/hire/promote or give raises without DM/corporate approval. DMs insist on interviewing all part time associates, and even some seasonals. Micro-managing from DMs are corporate is unreal.

Required to sell two $100 face creams a day, regardless of store traffic/sales volume. Yes, lower volume stores ($300k) are held to the same goal as million dollar stores. Required to show the $106 Divine cream to every customer who sets foot in the store, regardless of their actual interests which just leads to awkward interactions with customers who then perceive that you work on commission.

Company preaches prosperity and simplicity, but has dozens of metrics to meet on a daily basis: 2 Divines, 30% skincare, fragrance, conversion, increased ATV and tickets. All associates are held accountable to meeting these metrics and often have to explain slow days to nasty emails from corporate demanding an explanation.

Store goals are completely inconsistent, some are goaled up 5% to last year while others are goaled up 20%. When you hit your monthly goals and earn bonus they just increase your store's goals to make it more difficult to bonus (even if you're out performing all other stores). When some stores are performing at higher volume sales trends they increase the goals, but then don't increase your bonus or available labor hours accordingly.

Business decisions that make zero sense: spend hundreds of thousands of dollars renovating low volume stores that haven't shown sales increase in years, but eliminate the Learning and Development team. Imagine the jobs that could have been created/retained if that money had been invested in associate education instead of giving under-performing stores an unnecessary facelift.

Absolutely no work-life balance despite company claims. Most stores operate with only 3 or four associates and stretch them to five days a week at just 4-5 hour shifts, which makes switching a shift or taking a legit sick day nearly impossible due to lack of employees available to cover extra shifts.

Horrible training. No management on boarding training, instead you get a few days working in another store and are expected to learn as you go. Training on products is non-existent. Part time associates are expected to be able to open and close by themselves after just 4 days of training.

Annual "bonuses" aka merit increases are insulting, and generally just a 2% increase. And they find numerous ways to score you down so that you don't qualify for an increase. Proof? The manager with the highest review score in the whole U.S. scored just a 3.5 out of 5. That's how little they think of their whole management team??

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen (they write everything off as excuses)...but practice what you preach. Employees in the stores feel over-worked and unheard. Be receptive to the heartfelt feedback your employees have been trying to give you.

Beautiful products with a beautiful message.

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsL'Occitane was such a thoughtful brand with lovely meanings and stories behind their products. I really enjoyed sharing that with customers and they seemed to receive it really well. I loved how several products were "fair trade" and the company was very responsible in informing its patrons of how important that is. The management teams are very motivating and they push education over sales pitches! My assistant manager and store manager were spectacular.

ConsThe only thing I had a problem with was during visits when the regional educators were pushing us to sell, they couldn't sell a darn thing all day. I also didn't like offering strangers hand massages. It's very uncomfortable and although it sounds nice, it is VERY awkward.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up education! As skincare grows throughout the brand, your associates need to know their stuff!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Backstabbing, gossip and lies.

Westlake, OH

ProsProducts are wonderful, gratis are great. Store is very organized and clean.

ConsManagement is treating they employees very fairly, hiring others with criminal records, gossip are terrable, no communacation between co-workers. Wasteful spending, and cutting emloyyes hours, management never have schedule done on time, and only certain ' friends' get weekends off. This company almost destroyed my life, my reputation and no concern about it what so ever. To many friends of a friends of a friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees, help them, and a little backroung check will be a help, I was under a charge of a woman on probation of shop lifting.

Never wanna leave yet always wanna quit

ProsThe product is amazing. It is easy to sell because it works. I've often enjoyed the personal relationships I've made with coworkers.

ConsThe bonus structure is not ideal for associates. Manager turnover is high. There is a lack of clear marketing and promotion direction all the time. There is no positive reinforcement or expression of appreciation for sales associates' work. The company does not advertise; they expect sales associates to bring the customers into the store, which is problematic in that sales associates are merely part-time workers who get the bare minimum $10 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more positive and appreciate. Advertise; don't force this expectation on the sales associates.

Don't believe the haters

Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosopportunities to progress ... I've been here 6 months and been promoted already
    great staff discount
    respectful management - I haven't experienced anythng other than people being nice
    amazing products (the reason I joined in first place)
    decent pay

Consyes there are a lot of codes and somethings get complicated
    yes the till system isnt the easiest

Advice to Senior Managementdont listen to all the haters out there ... they're just losers ... to me and the people I talk to things are good and feel like they are getting better ... I have worked at far worse places ... its retail after all!
    my advice to the negative nellies ... if you hate it so much have the guts to go somewhere else ..

Unprofessional and Unpleasant

New York, NY

ProsThe hourly pay was decent.

ConsThis company is incredibly unprofessional when it comes to the workplace. I worked in a small boutique and I would have to open/close by myself. There were days where I was alone for hours. I felt unsafe because we only had fake cameras and no security.
    There is also unfair responsibility for employees depending on which store they work in. For example, at the small boutique where I was located as a part-time employee I was expected to open/close, clean, change windows, shipment, operational, and then sell. In a large or flagship store, a part-timer does not have all of those responsibilities. L'Occitane really needs to redesign how they organize their stores.
    The biggest disappointment was that after all I had given into the business as a part-timer in a small boutique, they decided to move me to a flagship store and cut my hours from 18-20 hours a week to 6 hours a week. I was incredibly upset because it was insulting and rude. Plus, no upper management even gave me a reason why they were moving me and cutting my hours. I also noticed that many other part timers were moved around and some got more hours then me. I found this to be extremely unfair treatment.
    Another problem with this company is that they do not educate their employees whatsoever on their rights. There are no safety, HR, or any sort of trainings except for product knowledge. They want their employees to feel powerless and instead play a political game to be kept on the DM's favorite list.
    Lastly, L'Occitane needs to learn that the people they hire is not be taken lightly. They hired people by posting an ad on craig's list for a job fair (you could only imagine the type of crowd that brought). I've worked with many unprofessional employees and under qualified managers. It's a shame because L'Occitane is now a place of gossip and cut throat competition between stores and it creates a horrible atmosphere and place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hire good people, keep them happy and retain them. Stop hiring incompetent managers.

Great founder and products, horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary, free products. Most of the staff is friendly and aim to please management. In lieu days for 6 day work weeks..

ConsAs a manager or associate you can be placed in any location with a days notice, you have no say. You will not get praise for doing a good job, only picked on for any faults. You cannot email upper management a question without getting a rude degrating response unless they don't respond at all, which often happens. All management know to ask one another and to never go to upper management unless you want to look like an idiot and be on the chopping block. The company doesn't have near enough employees so everyone is scrambling trying to borrow staff from one another's store. This makes employees confused and feel unappreciated.
    Communication in this company is a total mess. There are no conference calls and you get memos, emails, and other information coming at you in a thousand different ways. There are a hundred different codes and coupons and half the time the codes don't even work.
    There are also a ridiculous amount of focuses.. Things we are ment to track daily- sales, tickets, Atv, conversion, new clients, client sales, amount sold of campaign, amount sold of divine, skincare percentage, amount of rituals given, amount of a certain focus product sold, what samples we gave out, how a many ppl we have booked for a party, etc..

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your staff feels like you are on their side and want them to succeed, they will work harder and be happier.

Lousy Morale, Taking Others for Granted

ProsDecent discount on decent products.

ConsRead below from those who have submitted blunt, but eye-opening bad reviews, and must agree.

Everything that has been written by the previous "Thumbs Down" reviews have grains of truth scattered throughout. Lack of concern for safety, lack of appreciation for hard work and sacrifice for the sake of making sales goals, disrespect for need of personal time off, micromanagement and bullying are all painfully present for the store associates. 'Team Spirit/Prosperity' is preached enough - yet the very ones expecting this attitude, are the first to throw their own under the bus.

False promises, and flowery hyperbole are also other serious flaws, and the pay increases are horrid; witnesses have reported hours being tampered with, review scores altered to show under-performing scores for veteran employees who are experienced and have responsible reputations. Corporate is culprit where it comes to looking for every possible corner to cut in order to prevent proper pay raises from happening. 1% is about correct! HR and Payroll are notoriously unreachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it weren't for the front lines CARING enough to keep business running at the stores, nobody in the corporate offices would have THEIR jobs! Switch places with the teams for even a few days just to see how harsh reality is served just to meet selfish demands.

And, the quality of some of the current new hires is low because the company pays a miser's wage. Seriously, they expect Wharton, Yale, Harvard and Stanford-type graduates to lead this company, yet brings in middle-school mentality to do so! It is no wonder morale continues to tank!

New graduates who are even considering applying - here's a strong piece of advice: do thorough research first. Otherwise, steer clear before you accept (if offered) only to re-think and regret 6 - 9 months down the line.

A prison sentence rather than a job.

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe products are generally fine, easy to sell and the stores have a beautiful and seemingly pleasant atmosphere.

ConsEverything else.
    Very abusive to work for. Dangle the carrot and crack the whip mentality. No work life balance trouble if you need time off. Give up your entire life and every holiday season for the promise of an additional $1.25 an hourly which ends up being 15 cents.

The company lies to everyone customers, employees and itself alike. Some examples? L'Occitane claims in its stores and marketing it does not test on animals but is on PETAs watch list for its activities in China. They paid a half a million dollars to the FTC for a fraudulant weight loss product. They tell it's retail employees that they are important when they will most likely have to work and close a store ALONE with broken airconditioning, due to an unlawful and un-environmental open door policy, probably while another store is fully staffed for party where they are illegally serving alcohol without a liquor license or ID check all in attempts to sell Divine Cream. A foreign VP once told an associate "sell Divine to everyone Americans are stupid". The problem is the company lies to itself as it has this desire to retain its precarious and self proclaimed highend designation but its employees have crappy dental plans and are told to invite people in off the street in cold heat or wind and offer them illegal mini facials with same hands that scrub floors in unhygenic conditions.

Much like the French art of façade, when customers walk in to a store it looks, smells and sounds mellow and tranquil even pleasant but behind the scenes the salespeople experience something much uglier. The current sales team especially is under probably the most brutal, vicious, sneaky and retaliatory upper management in its history. The level of fear in light of the job market has employees desperately trying to sell anything to anyone on a account of a computer traffic counters and angry emails from upper management. This makes it hard to build loyalty with locals especially since the company spends very little on advertising. Upper management has tons of sub plots and you'll find out you are out of favor moments before you are fired if you are lucky. Otherwise upper management has plenty of ways to torture employees till they quit or have a breakdown. This all sounds melodramatic but there are plenty of current and former employees reading this over a glass of wine or a sedative chuckling. The company is cheap enough to do the latter to most when there is a good number of employees who'd rather be put out of their misery and collect unemployment. The attempts to make all this right are in paltry forms ie pitiful preselected "gratis", 1% annual raises and an anonymous Nice Place to Work survey in which your store gets emailed if you chose not to fill out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe USA needs a massive restructuring especially in NY and corporate offices. 3 straight years of 90% + turnover and tons of reviews that say the same should speak to stockholders or France at least.

Worked for L'Occitane? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L'Occitane reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L'Occitane CEO Reinold Geiger. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by L'Occitane employees.